PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Low level & gritty game.

Klorox
2020-08-19, 06:47 PM
This game will probably go to level 5 or 6 only.

Xanathars and PHB only for classes, 27 point buy.

I kinda want to play a magic-using character, possibly a gish type.

I was thinking of playing a hexblade, but with the low level limit, I’m not sure what way to build.

A celestial warlock generalist is another favorite so far.

I thought a halfling diviner might be fun.

I’m not sure if a divine sorcerer would be a good pick.

Clerics are great but I play them a lot. Besides, arcana are out which is a bummer.

I thought a melee eldritch knight might be a lot of fun.

Any other ideas for a gish at such a low level?

Corran
2020-08-19, 06:54 PM
Arcane tricksters (and rogues generally) are pretty good at low levels.

Klorox
2020-08-19, 06:55 PM
Arcane tricksters (and rogues generally) are pretty good at low levels.

Agreed. I forgot to add, one guy is playing an AT, another a paladin.

It’s me and two others undecided.

stoutstien
2020-08-19, 06:58 PM
What do you mean by gritty? Harsh combat? Hard to recover? Lack of resources?

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-19, 07:01 PM
I've always wanted to try Ranger 2, Druid 3 (Land-Coast) as a gish, with so many options to use in combat and so many tactical augments.

Sorinth
2020-08-19, 07:04 PM
Moon Druid is a very strong low level class, you can even mix a couple levels of Barbarian in there.

kaervaak
2020-08-19, 07:09 PM
Moon Druid is always a solid choice for low levels. You're a pseudo-gish, since you'll mostly be in melee during combat but you're a full caster in between.

You'll have tons of HP, do good damage (multi-attack at level 2 in bear form), full spell casting, healing word, good berry and purify food and water if survival is an issue.

Klorox
2020-08-19, 07:58 PM
What do you mean by gritty? Harsh combat? Hard to recover? Lack of resources?

Harsh combat and recovering won’t be as easy. I’m unsure of the details.

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-19, 08:03 PM
Harsh combat and recovering won’t be as easy. I’m unsure of the details.

Oh, then Moon Druid definitely. Probably the most OP build in the game until you get to tier 2.

Tell any 1-5 Fighter to take on a CR 1 Bear. And do it again. And then fight a Druid your level, and then tell me how that's fair.

thorr-kan
2020-08-20, 01:40 PM
High elf Nature Cleric into Archfey Warlock for versatility. That's a lot of cantrips. Finish off with Oath of Ancients Paladin for the remaining levels, or keep multiclassin?

I'll admit, I've only played a tielfing Devotion Paladin in 5E so far, and he's been fun. But the above character is the one that's got my attention now.

Eldariel
2020-08-20, 02:21 PM
I'd just go Wizard. Bladesinger if you wanna stab people with a sword too but Diviner, Chronurgist, War Wizard, & Abjurer are fine too. It just so happens Sleep is ridicbusted and any class that gets Sleep is thus top tier on tier 1. And Wizard gets the largest number of spells of all classes while also having some of the best low level subclass options and ritual casting for the best low level ability (familiar), Detect Magic, Magic Mouth and Unseen Servant (of the commonly used rituals).