PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Level 12 Eloquence Bard Looking for Critiques

kobo1d
2020-08-19, 10:47 PM
I'm building a character for a level 12 "dragon-slaying" 1-3 shot and feel like playing a Bard. The other players are likely building Half-Elf Vengeance Paladin 6/Whispers Bard 5/Hexblade Warlock 1, Warforged Forge Cleric 10/Paladin 2, and Firbolg Spores Druid 12. Any published WotC and recent UA (2019+) is allowed. Each player can choose 1 rare magic item and 2 uncommon.
We also have 8000GP, but can’t buy magic items, which I have spent largely to stock up on any expensive spell components I will need (or might, if I swap spells using Spell Versatility [UA Class Feature Variants]). And Studded Leather.

Please take a look at my build, and if you have any suggestions for further optimization, I’d love to hear them!

Race: Satyr
Class: Eloquence Bard 12
Level 1 Ability Scores: 8/16/15/8/10/16
ASI’s: Resilient (CON), 2 CHA, 2 CHA
Skills: Acrobatics, Deception*, Intimidate, Perception*, Performance, Persuasion*, Stealth* (* = Expertise)
Tools and Languages: Bandore, Harp, Lute, Mandolin, Pipes, Common, Abyssal, Sylvan
Spells: († = Magical Secrets, ‡ = Class Feature Variants UA)

0: Light/Minor Illusion/Prestidigitation/Vicious Mockery
1: Dissonant Whispers/Feather Fall/Healing Word
2: Aid‡/Suggestion
3: Bestow Curse/Counterspell†/Hypnotic Pattern/Leomund’s Tiny Hut
4: Dimension Door/Find Greater Steed†/Greater Invisibility
5: Animate Objects/Hold Monster
6: Heroes’ Feast‡
Magic Items: Ring of Spell Storing (r), Instrument of the Bards: Fochlucan Bandore (u), Light Crossbow of Warning (u)

Notes: Ring of Spell Storing + Find Greater Steed can give the whole party Fey Pegasi. Bandore charm disadvantage can combine with Unsettling Words for Hypnotic Pattern in a way that makes a Diviner blush. Heroes’ Feast for dragon fear, Bestow Curse for Wis save inaction rebuff if I get stuck in melee with a dragon, Hold Monster and Greater Invisibility to set up big Paladin smites. Animate Objects and Dissonant Whispers AoO combo seems fun. Outside of Animate Objects, this character has basically zero DPR but I don’t know how to fix it without making the character worse in other ways.

Thanks!

Iku Rex
2020-08-20, 10:58 AM
Looks good to me. Still, some quick thoughts:

I would consider a smaller and more concealable Warning weapon. Like a sling or dagger. Stone of Good Luck is an alternative.

For spells, Enhance Ability (lv2) is hard to pass up for overall utility. Mirror Image‡ (lv2) would provide lower spell level defense.

Also, I feel an Eloquence Bard should have more spells that mess with enemies' minds. Like Charm Person (lv1), Crown of Madness (lv2) (C), Enemies Abound (lv3) (C), Fast Friends (lv3) (C) (from Acquisitions Incorporated), Charm Monster (lv4), Modify Memory (lv5) ((C)) or Mass Suggestion (lv6). No matter how good your Deception or Persuasion is, a DM is unlikely to let you just talk opponents into helping or joining you. But once you add magic it gets more plausible.

Not sure what to drop, but Feather Fall, Aid‡, Bestow Curse, Leomund’s Tiny Hut, Hold Monster and Heroes’ Feast‡ look the least vital. (Heroes' Feast seems very situational for your sole 6th level spell.)

kobo1d
2020-08-20, 01:04 PM
Looks good to me. Still, some quick thoughts:

I would consider a smaller and more concealable Warning weapon. Like a sling or dagger. Stone of Good Luck is an alternative.

For spells, Enhance Ability (lv2) is hard to pass up for overall utility. Mirror Image‡ (lv2) would provide lower spell level defense.

Also, I feel an Eloquence Bard should have more spells that mess with enemies' minds. Like Charm Person (lv1), Crown of Madness (lv2) (C), Enemies Abound (lv3) (C), Fast Friends (lv3) (C) (from Acquisitions Incorporated), Charm Monster (lv4), Modify Memory (lv5) ((C)) or Mass Suggestion (lv6). No matter how good your Deception or Persuasion is, a DM is unlikely to let you just talk opponents into helping or joining you. But once you add magic it gets more plausible.

Not sure what to drop, but Feather Fall, Aid‡, Bestow Curse, Leomund’s Tiny Hut, Hold Monster and Heroes’ Feast‡ look the least vital. (Heroes' Feast seems very situational for your sole 6th level spell.)

Thanks again for the response. I am really considering those proposed changes.

My initial "campaign-independent" build idea had more general utility and mind control, including Dominate Person and Mass Suggestion, but were switched because of the dragonslaying game theme.

Hold Monster was to setup the two Paladins for the grand finale rounds after legendary resistance runs out. Heroes' Feast seemed amazing solely because of Frightful Presence. Feather Fall was taken so if we are all flying on Greater Steeds a botched breath weapon save from the Pegasus doesn't also cause falling damage. Bestow Curse (for Wisdom save inaction) also seemed like a really good save or suck for a dragon if I get stuck in touch range with one, but I might just have too many already. Aid was filler. Tiny Hut was in anticipation of a lot of wilderness resting, but could be changed out easy enough.