PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to build Atreyu from the Neverending Story? Mounted Archer?

Wasp
2020-08-20, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone!

I am currently re-reading The Neverending Story (the novel on which the movie of the same name is based) and I was wondering how one would build Atreyu in 5e...

Atreyu is 10 years old (but maybe we should leave this aside... :smallbiggrin:) and described as a great archer/hunter, tracker and rider. At the beginning his steed is a (talking) horse and later it's a flying luck dragon. He's usually wearing no armor and often depicted with a bare chest.

How would you build such mounted archer? The feeling is very much Archery Ranger, but a Ranger isn't usually a mounted combattant. For that you would probably have to go Paladin to get Find Greater Steed but that doesn't really have synergie... I could also the Barb work in a way (no armor) or even a Scout Rogue. Yeah, maybe a Scout Rogue would be the most appropriate way?

What do you think?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-08-20, 03:01 AM
Bard can get you the spells to cast find greater steed and stuff like swift quiver for more arrows.
Also mage armor for the half naked archer(I read the book a few years ago, I didn't remember him being unarmoured but I also don't remember him being armoured).

Take one of the bard classes with extra attack.

Try to refluff the greater steed as a white dragon, I think Pegasus will work best for it.

Heavenblade
2020-08-20, 06:41 AM
You could use the fact that he IS a 10 year old kid, and play him as a halfling - ghostwise could fit mechanichally, I suppose.

Dip 1 level or monk for bare-chest, the rest take revised spell less ranger for the martial nature guy theme, and ride your small refluffed beast.

As for Falcor...he is more of a plot-given ally than a class feature, I think, so I wouldnt try too hard to make him a part of the class.

Wasp
2020-08-22, 02:56 AM
Bard can get you the spells to cast find greater steed and stuff like swift quiver for more arrows.
Also mage armor for the half naked archer(I read the book a few years ago, I didn't remember him being unarmoured but I also don't remember him being armoured).

Take one of the bard classes with extra attack.

Try to refluff the greater steed as a white dragon, I think Pegasus will work best for it.
That's definitely a possibility! Thanks!

You could use the fact that he IS a 10 year old kid, and play him as a halfling - ghostwise could fit mechanichally, I suppose.
Nice idea!

Dip 1 level or monk for bare-chest, the rest take revised spell less ranger for the martial nature guy theme, and ride your small refluffed beast.

As for Falcor...he is more of a plot-given ally than a class feature, I think, so I wouldnt try too hard to make him a part of the class.
Oh I have to look up the spell-less ranger again. And yeah, maybe Falcor shouldn't really be part of the equation...

Falconcry
2020-08-24, 08:40 PM
Learn from past mistakes and get some horseshoes of water-walking home-brewed.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-08-24, 08:52 PM
Learn from past mistakes and get some horseshoes of water-walking home-brewed.

I was gonna say, maybe he skips getting Athletics. Because he sure had trouble pulling heavy weights out of swamps...