PDA

View Full Version : paralysis touch

Mister Biffo
2020-08-20, 04:35 AM
Why wasn't V paralyzed by Xykon's touch when he was being strangled? For context, this was after the Soul Splice was broken.

Cazero
2020-08-20, 04:48 AM
Elves are immune to the paralyzing touch of stupidly specific undeads. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0107.html)
Also, it allows a save.

Mister Biffo
2020-08-20, 12:14 PM
Elves are immune to the paralyzing touch of stupidly specific undeads.
Also, it allows a save.

I don't think V has the Fort save needed.

Also I think that's only ghouls.

Jason
2020-08-20, 12:39 PM
Elves are immune to paralyzation by ghouls and ghosts, not other types of undead.
Inflicting the paralyzation is voluntary for the lich performing an attack. Perhaps Xykon decided he preferred to strangle a victim that was still struggling.

Quartz
2020-08-20, 01:47 PM
Why wasn't V paralyzed by Xykon's touch when he was being strangled?

Anyone can roll a 20 on their save.

Emanick
2020-08-21, 01:55 AM
Anyone can roll a 20 on their save.

That's true. And that's probably what happened.

Initially I wasn't sure that would be required, but I looked up the rules, and apparently the save DC would be 10 + ½ Xykon's HD + his Charisma modifier. Depending on what assumptions you make, that probably comes to around 30. Even Roy might have a tough time making that save. V would almost certainly need a natural 20.

Grey_Wolf_c
2020-08-21, 10:28 AM
Paralysis touch applies only to targets hit by its touch attack. Strangling is not a touch attack; if anything, it'd fall under coup de grace rules, which is a different action altogether, but perhaps unsurprisingly, the game does not provide rules for torturing fallen enemies with asphyxiation.

GW

Mister Biffo
2020-08-21, 11:16 AM
Paralysis touch applies only to targets hit by its touch attack. Strangling is not a touch attack; if anything, it'd fall under coup de grace rules, which is a different action altogether, but perhaps unsurprisingly, the game does not provide rules for torturing fallen enemies with asphyxiation.

GW

SoD Spoiler:

But he accidentally used the ability when he first turned into a lich, so it seems to be always on.

understatement
2020-08-21, 11:45 AM
SoD Spoiler:

But he accidentally used the ability when he first turned into a lich, so it seems to be always on.

He probably got better at controlling it.

For a non-lethal touch, he also manages to carry Redcloak away from the gate explosion without paralyzing him.

Emanick
2020-08-21, 04:56 PM
He probably got better at controlling it.

For a non-lethal touch, he also manages to carry Redcloak away from the gate explosion without paralyzing him.

Maybe he crafted himself a pair of invisible gloves? :smalltongue: