PDA

View Full Version : Two New Powers for Wilders: Puppet Self and Mindblade [Peach and stuff]

AstralFire
2007-10-31, 04:23 PM
Criticism wanted.

Psions, Psychic Warriors, and Ardents can take these two, but they're definitely designed for the Wilder.

Puppet Self
Psychokinesis
Level: Psion/Wilder 6
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: None
Power Points: 11

Silvery threads of energy sprout from the base of your neck and attach themselves to every joint in your body.

(Thematically similar to the Control Body power).

Your base attack bonus improves by 2, and you gain a bonus on your initiative, reflex saves, attack, damage and Armor Class equal to your Charisma modifier. Any skills which use Strength or Dexterity use Charisma instead, for the duration of the power. For the duration of this power, you are treated as having the Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Improved Grapple feats.

You lose the ability to manifest or cast spells; however, any ability which would normally impede your flesh is ignored for the duration of the power. As a result, Wilders are not affected by Psychic Enervation if they trigger it when manifesting this power, although they would still not gain the benefit of their Surging Euphoria class feature.

While Puppet Self is active, you become somewhat immune to the Disabled, Helpless, Nauseated, Paralyzed, Sickened, and Staggered conditions, as your mind overrides the weaknesses of your body. Every round that you are afflicted with one of these conditions, you may opt to take an Autohypnosis check to ignore them; you must make a check for each condition affecting you, once per round per condition. The DC for the check is initially 25, but it increases by 1 every consecutive round that you successfully suppress conditions. (If you choose not suppress, fail your checks, or have nothing to suppress, the DC resets to 25.) Should you succeed, you ignore that effect for 1 round, plus another round for every additional point you beat the DC by. Additionally, for the duration of the power, you automatically ignore Exhaustion or Fatigued conditions. This does not increase your Autohypnosis DC.

Furthermore, you do not suffer ill effects if your Strength, Constitution or Dexterity scores drop to 0 while this power is manifested. You are nearly impossible to stop as a result. (You still can be made unconscious by any of your mental ability scores dropping to 0.)

While this power is active, you take no ill effects or penalties for being below 1 hit point; even if you are reduced to -10 Hit Points, you will not die or be involuntarily stopped as long as this power is active, your brain remains intact and there are limbs which can be manipulated; even simply severing the head will not be sufficient if the head remains in the same plane as the majority of the limbs. Being reduced to 0 or less hit points by a Disintegrate power or similar effect while under this power's influence will still immediately kill you, however, as will supernatural death effects and negative levels exceeding your Hit Dice.

These conditions still affect your body; it should be noted that you are simply ignoring them. Immediately when the power ends, every condition which you chose to suppress previously takes full effect, assuming that they have not run out before the power did.

Regardless, you become paralyzed after the power ends, and cannot manifest powers again. Both of these conditions persist until you have had eight hours of rest. (A successful DC 20 Heal check by an attendant can reduce the time needed to rest afterwards to 4 hours; this number reduces by half for every 10 points higher the attendant reaches, to a minimum of half an hour at DC 50.)

If you are ever Stunned, Dazed, or Dominated while this power is manifested, it immediately ends. If someone successfully manifests 'Control Body' on you while this power is manifested, you engage in a battle of will with the manifester; every round, you must make an opposed Effective Manifester Level check to decide who is in control for the round.

Augment:
For every 3 additional power points you spend, you gain another +1 bonus to your Base Attack Bonus for the duration of the power.

Create Mindblade
Metacreativity (Creation)
Level: Psion/wilder 1, Psychic Warrior 1
Display: Visual and Auditory
Manifesting Time: 1 move action
Range: Personal
Effect: One weapon; see text.
Duration: 1 hour/level or until sundered or released; see text.
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 1

You create a semi-solid blade composed of psychic energy from your mind. This weapon is identical in all ways (except visually) to a one-handed or light weapon of a size appropriate to its wielder; you must have proficiency in the weapon you choose to create. Feats applicable to a Soulknife's mindblade or the specific weapon it mimics are also applicable here. The blade can be broken (it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); this ends the power. The moment he relinquishes his grip on his blade, it dissipates (unless he intends to throw it, but the weapon was not designed to be thrown, and takes according penalties.)

Even in places where psionic effects do not normally function (such as within a null psionics field), you can attempt to sustain your mind blade by making a DC 25 Manifester Level check (use the Manifester level used to conjured the weapon). On a successful save, you maintain your mind blade for a number of rounds equal to your manifester level before you need to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the mind blade vanishes.

As a side-effect of the surge of will that goes into making this blade, you are immune to any daze effects for the next round after you manifest this power.

Augment:
You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
1) If you spend 2 additional power points, the mindblade doubles as a thrown weapon with a range increment of thirty feet. It still dissipates after the attack.
2) If you spend 2 additional power points, the mindblade can be manifested as a free action.
3) If you spend 8 additional power points, you gain both of the above effects. In addition, the mindblade power now only ends when its duration is over, or it has been broken. Throwing the weapon no longer ends the power; the weapon immediately psychoports back into your hand. This also means that the blade can be thrown multiple times in one round, as many as your base attack bonus.
4) For every additional point you spend in this manner, the mindblade gains 1 Hardness and Hit Point.
5) If you spend 16 additional power points, the mindblade becomes a Vorpal Weapon. If it is not slashing, it gains a Resonating (Bludgeoning) or Impaling (Piercing) effect that functions identically. Any creature immune to the effects of a Vorpal Weapon is immune to the Resonating or Impaling effect as well.

In addition, for every 4 additional power points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this weapon gains a +1 Enhancement bonus to Attack and Damage.

Fredderf
2007-11-01, 08:31 PM
Aww, poor mind blade. I think I just heard him pop out of existance.

I know you may not like it, but I would weaken the benefits and losses of of puppet self. 8 hours of paralyzation is never cool, epecially for just one encounter. A little weaker with less losses and I could see using it.

DracoDei
2007-11-02, 05:53 AM
...Or a fairly reliable 4 hours (and a possible 2 hours) if you have the right hirelings at higher levels to follow you around and nurse you back to health each time...
In any case I THINK (having never played a psionic character) that the solution would be that you always make this the last power you manifest in a given day... just use other stuff until you are running low enough and you are in a tactical situation that calls for it. Then dump every last point into this, augmented however is appropriate... Afterwards the strongest party member slings you over his shoulder or someone pops you into a bag of holding and the party makes a bee-line for the nearest place to rest up.

Alex12
2007-11-02, 10:27 AM
While I'm ordinarily all for more psionic power, these...don't seem worth the cost. Also, may I suggest that you replace "Charisma" in the first one with "primary manifester stat" so a psion using it applies Int instead.

AstralFire
2007-11-02, 11:30 AM
Wow, I was pleasantly surprised to see I got responses finally! You three have made my day! Squee!

While I'm ordinarily all for more psionic power, these...don't seem worth the cost. Also, may I suggest that you replace "Charisma" in the first one with "primary manifester stat" so a psion using it applies Int instead.

That was a deliberate change on my part. Wilders deserve some uniquely nice powers.

I originally had Puppet Mind much stronger, but it was suggested that it was a bit too powerful. For the mindblade, though, you're basically getting Call Weapon and Metaphysical Weapon at once...

Aww, poor mind blade. I think I just heard him pop out of existance.

Yeah. I liked him too. He will be missed...

I know you may not like it, but I would weaken the benefits and losses of of puppet self. 8 hours of paralyzation is never cool, epecially for just one encounter. A little weaker with less losses and I could see using it.

Do you have a specific suggestion in mind? The original version was overpowered, but I want to keep the general idea of "Ultimate Mind over Body".

Alex12
2007-11-02, 12:16 PM
Autohypnosis checks whenever a character would be affected by paralysis and the like. If you succeed, you can ignore it for up to the number of rounds you beat the DC by.

AstralFire
2007-11-02, 12:41 PM
That works very well. I'll do that, thanks.