PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Half-dragon in pathfinder.

Athear
2020-08-20, 11:50 PM
so I'm attempting to covert the Races of the dragon Draconic Racial class to pathfinder but am stumped on the Hit dice.
since the racial class assumes LA which PF doesn't have.

Psyren
2020-08-21, 01:43 AM
so I'm attempting to covert the Races of the dragon Draconic Racial class to pathfinder but am stumped on the Hit dice.
since the racial class assumes LA which PF doesn't have.

Most of what that racial class gives you is pretty tame by PF standards; there are alreadty LA0 races that can give you stat bonuses, darkvision, claws, a bite, natural armor, and let you count as X creature type. There's no need to spread that stuff across 4 or 5 levels in PF.

I would recommend instead making a LA 0 race with most of these abilities using the Race Builder, and then either create a custom feat or feats for the slightly more powerful things (e.g. wings and breath weapon), or else pick them up via Eldritch Heritage -> Draconic bloodline.

Wildstag
2020-08-21, 12:25 PM
The Draconic racial class is a bit strong relative to any Pathfinder race if taken with all levels. Half-dragon apotheosis would give you a net +8 strength. The Ogre only gets +4 in PF. The breath weapon, wings for large base creatures, and the rest of the draconic racial class is pretty powerful for a race.

If you're talking only the +1 LA Draconic Creature Template part of the racial class, then you're right Psyren, it's not that powerful relative to other Pathfinder races. But the full half-dragon racial class is crazy strong.

My solution? I'd say instead of level adjustments, make it Dragon hitdie, make it so you have racial hit dice. Advance racial hit dice first, or in conjunction with the main class, but until you hit the max level for the half-dragon, you can't have more class levels than racial levels. You'd be playing a monster, which PF doesn't really support, but it should work out.

Psyren
2020-08-21, 04:44 PM
If you're talking only the +1 LA Draconic Creature Template part of the racial class, then you're right Psyren, it's not that powerful relative to other Pathfinder races. But the full half-dragon racial class is crazy strong.

Sure, but I focused on that one because Half-Dragons already exist in PF, along with the Monsters as PC rules necessary to play them, so if OP wants a full Half-Dragon they can simply do that.