PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Purely Mental Actions

Thurbane
2020-08-21, 06:27 AM
Looking at the Schism power (while trying to update the Su-Monster), I noticed that it allows a second standard action per round, so long as the action is "purely mental".

Purely mental actions are called out in several other places: Freeze spell, Viscid Glob spell, Freezing the Lifeblood feat, the Synad racial trait Multitask etc.

Is there a list or categorization of which actions are purely mental? Or is it just applying common sense?

Manifesting powers, obviously. I assume activating an SLA is? And most Supernatural effects?

Basically anything that doesn't require a verbal or physical action? A Silent, Stilled spell should count?

Cheers - T

Kaleph
2020-08-21, 06:53 AM
I know no specific definition of a purely mental action, but I would agree on more or less everything you are arguing.

A supernatural ability is probably purely mental if it doesn't require a specific body part to be accomplished, i.e. unlike a breath weapon.

Regarding spells, you probably also need eschew materials, otherwise you'll need somehow to interact with the component pouch (ref. Grapple rules). Or use only spells that don't require any material component...

daremetoidareyo
2020-08-21, 07:02 AM
If you have mindlink up with an unwilling target, can you intimidate them as a mental action?

Biggus
2020-08-21, 07:07 AM
The nearest thing I've seen is on page 220 of the MIC, where it explains when you can and can't use purely mental activation items.

Telonius
2020-08-21, 08:22 AM
Activating an SLA is explicitly a mental action (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#specialAbilities):

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally.

The Paralysis ability also calls this out:

He may take purely mental actions, such as casting a spell with no components.

So basically, no components = mental action.