PDA

View Full Version : Check my build, please? (Githyanki wizard)

Mr Adventurer
2020-08-21, 07:02 AM
Hi, I made a Githyanki armoured wizard for a game we started yesterday. I'm aiming for an armoured melee Gish but I'm aware that that can be tricky to pull off especially single-classed. Anyone have any observations, tips, or comments?

As a house rule we get a bonus feat at 1st level.

Githyanki War Mage 6

Str 18 (15 +2 racial +1 feat)
Dex 8
Con 14
Int 16 (15 +1 racial)
Wis 8
Cha 10

Bonus feat: Heavily Armoured
Level 4 ASI: Tough feat

Splint mail (AC 17) (can't afford plate yet)
Hit points 50

Greatsword +7 melee (2d6+4)

Spells:
Booming Blade
Green-Flame Blade
Fire Bolt
Blade Ward
Mage Hand (Githyanki Psionics)
Detect Magic
Comprehend Languages
Alarm
Thunderwave
Shield
Absorb Elements
Jump (Githyanki Psionics)
Dragon's Breath
Blindness/Deafness
Darkvision
Pyrotechnics
Misty Step (Githyanki Psionics)
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Haste
Blink

Skills:
Athletics, Arcana, Investigate, Intimidate, Persuade

So far my tactic has mostly been to use a melee weapon attack cantrip or other; I've also got a couple of uses out of a Dragon's Breath on a horde before they pinged away my concentration. I only got to cast Haste once so far.

If we get to 8 I think I'll have to take War Caster.

Hilariously, I think my passive Stealth score is 4 (10 -1 Dex -5 for Disadvantage from heavy armour).

Arcane Deflection saved me on a save against troglodytes stench but prevented me from opening up with Haste in the first round of combat like I wanted to.

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 07:48 AM
I would definitely be looking at Resilient Wisdom or Warcaster. Although I would take Warcaster at 8 like you said. I probably would have taken the ASI to get Con to 16 over the Tough feat (sure that's 6 less HP overall, but it's a +1 to con saves which more than balances it out). However, that is my opinion rather than necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't bother with Blade Ward, if you are going to use you action to avoid damage you may as well dodge rather than use the cantrip. I would rather see a utility cantrip like Minor Illusion or Prestidigitation.

As for spells, I would look for Magic Missile because you never know when you want to guarantee damage against someone. Mirror Image is another great spell for melee wizards as well, so you may want to grab that when you can.

Since you are already in Melee Range Vampiric touch may be useful to you as well.

Also, you need fireball because all Wizards NEED fireball :smallbiggrin:

Overall, you seem to be doing perfectly fine. You just need to get more spells in your spellbook and more rituals.

Mr Adventurer
2020-08-21, 11:24 AM
I would definitely be looking at Resilient Wisdom or Warcaster. Although I would take Warcaster at 8 like you said. I probably would have taken the ASI to get Con to 16 over the Tough feat (sure that's 6 less HP overall, but it's a +1 to con saves which more than balances it out). However, that is my opinion rather than necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't bother with Blade Ward, if you are going to use you action to avoid damage you may as well dodge rather than use the cantrip. I would rather see a utility cantrip like Minor Illusion or Prestidigitation.

As for spells, I would look for Magic Missile because you never know when you want to guarantee damage against someone. Mirror Image is another great spell for melee wizards as well, so you may want to grab that when you can.

Since you are already in Melee Range Vampiric touch may be useful to you as well.

Also, you need fireball because all Wizards NEED fireball :smallbiggrin:

Overall, you seem to be doing perfectly fine. You just need to get more spells in your spellbook and more rituals.

I went back and forth on Tough but decided to go with it this time just because I have literally never seen it done. With heavy armour, greatsword, and 50hp I can actually play like a melee character, it's great. Though one interesting thing is that Tough doesn't increase Hit Dice amount so you end up having to spend more of them; I spent 5 of 6 of mine to go from half health back to full. Would 44hp be that much worse? Well, the other characters are an elf monk and a half-orc fighter; the elf has 38hp and the fighter has 52hp. Being closer to the fighter feels good. But, mechanically, I think you are right; the extra Con WOULD improve Hit Dice. A house rule I've considered in the past but never implemented is merging Tough and Durable feats (all benefits)...

Blade Ward I also picked in the knowledge it's under-powered; since it lasts until the end of your next turn I think I was imagining using it before doing something risky, like a potential ambush or trap or tricky jump. Probably wouldn't use it in melee. Didn't go with utility cantrip because I've had the two you mention on every spellcaster and hardly ever use them; plus I get Mage Hand anyway.

Is Vampiric Touch really that great? Concentration plus melee range seems tricky.

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 12:03 PM
I went back and forth on Tough but decided to go with it this time just because I have literally never seen it done. With heavy armour, greatsword, and 50hp I can actually play like a melee character, it's great. Though one interesting thing is that Tough doesn't increase Hit Dice amount so you end up having to spend more of them; I spent 5 of 6 of mine to go from half health back to full. Would 44hp be that much worse? Well, the other characters are an elf monk and a half-orc fighter; the elf has 38hp and the fighter has 52hp. Being closer to the fighter feels good. But, mechanically, I think you are right; the extra Con WOULD improve Hit Dice. A house rule I've considered in the past but never implemented is merging Tough and Durable feats (all benefits)...

Blade Ward I also picked in the knowledge it's under-powered; since it lasts until the end of your next turn I think I was imagining using it before doing something risky, like a potential ambush or trap or tricky jump. Probably wouldn't use it in melee. Didn't go with utility cantrip because I've had the two you mention on every spellcaster and hardly ever use them; plus I get Mage Hand anyway.

Is Vampiric Touch really that great? Concentration plus melee range seems tricky.

Vampiric Touch isn't all that great in general, but you are already in melee range and you are already concentrating on spells due to Haste or Dragon Breath. It would be useful to have in your backpocket as a way to regain HP when Wizards can't in other ways. It wouldn't be my top choice, but since you are a Wizard you are only limited by cash when it comes to spells in your spellbook.

LudicSavant
2020-08-21, 12:18 PM
Blade Ward I also picked in the knowledge it's under-powered; since it lasts until the end of your next turn I think I was imagining using it before doing something risky, like a potential ambush or trap or tricky jump. Probably wouldn't use it in melee. Didn't go with utility cantrip because I've had the two you mention on every spellcaster and hardly ever use them; plus I get Mage Hand anyway. The thing about Blade Ward is that in many of the situations where it would be useful, the Dodge action is at least as good.

Is Vampiric Touch really that great?

If you want some emergency combat healing, the way to go is to Herbalism up some 25gp potions and hand them to your minions (familiar, unseen servant, etc) who can administer those to people while you continue to apply swords and spells to faces. It's like having multiple Healing Words that don't take your Actions or your spell use for the round.

I don't like Vampiric Touch for your build; if you were to use it at all it would probably be out of combat to torture some poor prisoner for hit points, you monster.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-08-21, 12:54 PM
Learn Find Familiar, which can use a help action every round to give you advantage to attack. You can also cast Dragon Breath on it and it uses its action each turn to use that while you're still making attacks.

CTurbo
2020-08-22, 01:20 AM
If it's not too late, I'd seriously consider starting 1 level in Fighter for Con saves, heavy armor(and shield), and Fighting Style. This would free up your starting feat for something more effective. If you still wanted the +1 to Str you could go Heavy Armor Master.

Mr Adventurer
2020-08-26, 03:52 AM
The thing about Blade Ward is that in many of the situations where it would be useful, the Dodge action is at least as good.

Many, but not all - plus it lasts until the end of your next turn, so if you're about to step into something really nasty you can do both.

If you want some emergency combat healing, the way to go is to Herbalism up some 25gp potions and hand them to your minions (familiar, unseen servant, etc) who can administer those to people while you continue to apply swords and spells to faces. It's like having multiple Healing Words that don't take your Actions or your spell use for the round.

I don't like Vampiric Touch for your build; if you were to use it at all it would probably be out of combat to torture some poor prisoner for hit points, you monster.

For Vampiric Touch, yeah I think it's going to be rare for me to have the available Concentration.

I would say that I've never played in a game where I've had the character build resources to take Herbalism Kit, the raw materials, and the free downtime to actually make potions.

Learn Find Familiar, which can use a help action every round to give you advantage to attack. You can also cast Dragon Breath on it and it uses its action each turn to use that while you're still making attacks.

Suspect many DMs would argue DB doesn't work with a familiar because it can't make attacks (were I DM that is how I would rule).

If it's not too late, I'd seriously consider starting 1 level in Fighter for Con saves, heavy armor(and shield), and Fighting Style. This would free up your starting feat for something more effective. If you still wanted the +1 to Str you could go Heavy Armor Master.

Afraid it is too late - we had our first session already! Also, with all those proficiencies coming from Fighter it makes Githyanki feel a bit unnecessary.

We aren't going to level up this adventure (it's a prequel), but if we ever do I could potentially take a level of Fighter for the fighting style. In that case I'd be tempted to go Eldritch Knight 3 or 7 for the class features.