PDA

View Full Version : Need help remembering a spell with an area/damage tradeoff

Crucius
2020-08-21, 09:13 AM
I think I once read a spell (on dndbeyond) that allowed you to choose the area of effect, but the damage would change in inverse proportions, but I can't seem to find it. Did I dream this?

Something along the lines of:
20 ft radius: 2d6 damage
10 ft radius: 4d6 damage
5 ft radius: 6d6 damage

I can't recall the exact damage numbers or type, though I think it was fire or radiant.

PhantomSoul
2020-08-21, 09:28 AM
Do you remember if it was homebrew or an official spell?

Crucius
2020-08-21, 09:47 AM
Do you remember if it was homebrew or an official spell?

I think it was official, I don't have any homebrew spells listed on dndbeyond. Could be weird sources like Lost Laboratory of Kwalish or Acquisitions Incorporated, but definitely not homebrew.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-21, 05:00 PM
I think it was official, I don't have any homebrew spells listed on dndbeyond. Could be weird sources like Lost Laboratory of Kwalish or Acquisitions Incorporated, but definitely not homebrew.

It's definitely not from any WotC source.

OldTrees1
2020-08-21, 06:02 PM
The closest I can remember in 5E (I know 3E had several) is Meteor Swarm (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Meteor%20Swarm#content)

Crucius
2020-08-22, 03:24 AM
Then I guess it was a dream or something. So strange how memories work.

Aldo8880
2020-08-22, 04:41 PM
The magic Item Ring of Shooting Stars does this kinda. It shoots out magic, and the more “stars” you shoot the less damage each does. Has some other effects too, I can’t remember them all of course.

Maybe this is what you read about?

Narbaculus
2020-08-23, 03:24 PM
I can think of no official spell that does this, but you may be thinking of a Staff of Power. When broken over the knee, it deals damage to creatures based on how close they are to it and how many charges it has stored.

Crucius
2020-08-24, 06:57 AM
The magic Item Ring of Shooting Stars does this kinda. It shoots out magic, and the more “stars” you shoot the less damage each does. Has some other effects too, I can’t remember them all of course.

Maybe this is what you read about?

Woah YES, I think this is the one! Thanks!

But now I want to homebrew a spell that changes its damage based on the chosen AoE radius.