PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick vs Malack

Mightymosy
2020-08-21, 11:27 AM
I was just re-reading the Desert Book, and was curious: If Durkon had not faced Malack alone, but with the rest of the team (except V), how would the odds have been for them to win? Anyone with a good understanding of D&D care to make a guess?

I am not wanting to discuss whether Durkon was right or wrong trying to solo Malack, I am just curious about actual power levels of the characters and what would be expected outcomes of such a fight.

Quebbster
2020-08-21, 11:44 AM
Probably like this (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1122.html).

understatement
2020-08-21, 11:50 AM
Or like this. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1010.html)

JSSheridan
2020-08-21, 11:53 AM
It really depends on his prepped spells

Most vampire abilities like Dominating Gaze are a standard actions and target one creature, and thus wouldn't give him the advantage in numbers

More than likely, Malak would have been forced to retreat

Fyraltari
2020-08-21, 12:49 PM
Durkon vs Malack felt like a pretty close fight. Malack has to retreat and hide at one point.

I think the full order would have taken him down.

Aidan
2020-08-21, 06:40 PM
With regards to the vampiric domination possibility, things could get tricky. While Belkar, Elan, and possibly Haley (can't find info on her wisdom score) could end up dominated, unlike in the case of Durkula, where "listening to Durkon" is not against the Haley and Elan's nature's and with Belkar the command was protect V, something at least not contrary to his nature, Malack would not know what sort of narrow commands to use to avoid them getting a reroll. Durkula was able to do this by having a deep understanding of the Orders dynamic by viewing Durkons memories as well as witnessing it from within, something Malack could not do. The best Malack could do would probably be dominate everyone except Durkon and Roy, and tell them to stay still, but even that could be contrary to Elan and Hale's nature (perhaps not for Belkar). Roy and Durkon are the best equipped members of the Order to fight a vampire, and could easily beat him if he doesn't mist out.