PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Please help me be less of a pain to the rest of my group

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 12:46 PM
So, I need advice on anything else I can do to be less of a pain in the butt to the rest of my group. The rest of my group is playing in person, but I am just not comfortable due to COVID, and they have been nice enough video conference me in to play with the rest of the group. Everyone has been very understanding and I've tried to be very appreciative of them being willing to move the camera so I can see the battlemap and really dealing with me not being there in person.

Other than being really thankful of their willingness to accommodate my staying home, I'm also making sure to be ready a few minutes before the normal time we start so no one has to wait on me. I've also volunteered to take notes and be the loot (insert your favorite term here, we'll say note taker and splitter) for the group since I'm at a computer and can do it easily.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I can do to make life easier on them. No one seems to have minded, but if there are other things I can do, I want to do them.

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-21, 12:59 PM
So, I need advice on anything else I can do to be less of a pain in the butt to the rest of my group. The rest of my group is playing in person, but I am just not comfortable due to COVID, and they have been nice enough video conference me in to play with the rest of the group. Everyone has been very understanding and I've tried to be very appreciative of them being willing to move the camera so I can see the battlemap and really dealing with me not being there in person.

Other than being really thankful of their willingness to accommodate my staying home, I'm also making sure to be ready a few minutes before the normal time we start so no one has to wait on me. I've also volunteered to take notes and be the loot (insert your favorite term here, we'll say note taker and splitter) for the group since I'm at a computer and can do it easily.

Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I can do to make life easier on them. No one seems to have minded, but if there are other things I can do, I want to do them.

You could try to do some kind of initiative tracker on behalf of your DM on the display in place of your face, or you could have the DM send you links of pics of monsters or areas that the party is supposed to visually see.

Could combine both, an initiative tracker that uses the players' chosen icons/pictures. I'm sure something like that exists. Roll 20 has something similar (although I don't recommend using it just for something like this).

Fact is, managing/organizing notes and providing pics of things are exactly the kinds of benefits that you'd expect to be really good about using a virtual tabletop system like Roll20, it's just that the DM doesn't really have time to do all those on the fly (at least, that's why I don't do them). But that's not a problem if the DM isn't the one doing them.

If you could connect those notes with the party using something like OneNote or Google Drive, it'd mean your party could see a ton of value from having a non-DM player on the computer.

Pex
2020-08-21, 01:35 PM
Make sure the DM can see your dice rolls. It's not to imply you'll cheat; it's only peace of mind. Have your camera pointing to your dice rolls when you roll. Alternatively use a computer platform along with the DM. Roll20 is commonly used. If you use D&D Beyond your rolls there can be displayed in Roll20 with the Beyond20 App.

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 01:38 PM
Make sure the DM can see your dice rolls. It's not to imply you'll cheat; it's only peace of mind. Have your camera pointing to your dice rolls when you roll. Alternatively use a computer platform along with the DM. Roll20 is commonly used. If you use D&D Beyond your rolls there can be displayed in Roll20 with the Beyond20 App.

I have worried about that myself. Especially after last session when I managed to crit twice (legitimately). It did make me feel better when I went an entire encounter when I didn't roll better than a 10 though. I can adjust the camera so that it shows the dice as I roll. I play on DNDBeyond, but I like the tactile feel of actually rolling the dice.

Evaar
2020-08-21, 01:42 PM
I think you're good. Honestly, the fact that you're staying home and doing what you can to make sure you can still play is already thoughtful - by staying home you are not only reducing your own exposure, but their exposure. Maybe they don't value that, but they should. It's not that you have some crazy hangup that they're thoughtfully working around; there's a pandemic and you're being responsible. The fact that you're volunteering for additional responsibilities is icing on the cake.

NaughtyTiger
2020-08-21, 01:44 PM
In my experience, the worst parts of online play are:

talking over each other (slight delay, single channel voice...)
bad mic/audio

invest in a good headset
don't expect to have the same level of sidechannel dialogue with your buddies (sadly, less roleplay)
i would prefer you roll real dice, and just tell me results, instead of futzing with online, switching the camera, ...

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 01:47 PM
You could try to do some kind of initiative tracker on behalf of your DM on the display in place of your face, or you could have the DM send you links of pics of monsters or areas that the party is supposed to visually see.

Could combine both, an initiative tracker that uses the players' chosen icons/pictures. I'm sure something like that exists. Roll 20 has something similar (although I don't recommend using it just for something like this).

Fact is, managing/organizing notes and providing pics of things are exactly the kinds of benefits that you'd expect to be really good about using a virtual tabletop system like Roll20, it's just that the DM doesn't really have time to do all those on the fly (at least, that's why I don't do them). But that's not a problem if the DM isn't the one doing them.

If you could connect those notes with the party using something like OneNote or Google Drive, it'd mean your party could see a ton of value from having a non-DM player on the computer.

We extensively use Google Drive to share documents, so I'm actually posting the note on there without pictures. Add in screenshots isn't a bad idea though.

Telwar
2020-08-21, 01:48 PM
Be clear on orientation for your character when talking about the map.
This may need to be something like "move me three spaces towards Jimbo's side of the table, next to the minotaur," so it's clear to the DM and everyone else.

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 01:50 PM
Be clear on orientation for your character when talking about the map.
This may need to be something like "move me three spaces towards Jimbo's side of the table, next to the minotaur," so it's clear to the DM and everyone else.

Thanks, this one I've noticed already, but more detail wouldn't hurt. I did laugh last time we played when I said "I want to move there" and pointed to my screen. I've been trying to say things like "I want to move to the other side, flanking the skeleton that Mars is fighting" for clarity.

NaughtyTiger
2020-08-21, 02:08 PM
Thanks, this one I've noticed already, but more detail wouldn't hurt. I did laugh last time we played when I said "I want to move there" and pointed to my screen. I've been trying to say things like "I want to move to the other side, flanking the skeleton that Mars is fighting" for clarity.

part 2 of that, unless it completely ruined your plan, is accept that Bill moved you to a suboptimal position and try to work it

Segev
2020-08-21, 02:27 PM
Since you're playing with a physical map, getting a good reference down would be useful. While it need not correspond to the setting map's compass rose, having an agreed-upon convention as to a compass rose on the map (probably either N facing away from the DM, or from you) would make it easier to express directions.

I think you're good. Honestly, the fact that you're staying home and doing what you can to make sure you can still play is already thoughtful - by staying home you are not only reducing your own exposure, but their exposure. Maybe they don't value that, but they should. It's not that you have some crazy hangup that they're thoughtfully working around; there's a pandemic and you're being responsible. The fact that you're volunteering for additional responsibilities is icing on the cake.

Let's not start a debate over what people "should" do or believe. I think it's great that both the OP and his friends are able to make their own choices about their own lives and levels of risk (or belief in the threat), and find a way to still play together. Judgmentalism - even disguised as compliments to the OP - is inviting strife we don't need here.

As to dice... if you want to roll them physically, yeah, just pointing your camera at your dice tray is probably your best bet. I'd otherwise recommend either a dice rolling program they can see (e.g. roll20), or asking the DM or another player to do the rolling for you. Or operate on trust and the honor system. I do understand wanting to validate your honesty with proof, though, as well as the desire to roll physical dice.

Telwar
2020-08-21, 03:33 PM

I did use "Treyward" on one of our fights, since one of our sometimes players is roommates with the DM and I had another reference point to use.

Throne12
2020-08-21, 03:49 PM
The best thing is not to ask us but to ask your group. If you need to do anything else. Your dm can be like me when I DM I don't what you roll. I play with my friends I know they don't fudge there rolls and I really don't care. My only care as a DM is having fun and making the game fun for them.

nickl_2000
2020-08-21, 04:04 PM
The best thing is not to ask us but to ask your group. If you need to do anything else. Your dm can be like me when I DM I don't what you roll. I play with my friends I know they don't fudge there rolls and I really don't care. My only care as a DM is having fun and making the game fun for them.

What I actually take from this thread and apply will be based on conversation with my group. However, prior to this the group has been 100% in person. There is a decent chance that someone here has run into a similar situation and can give advice on what worked for them, which is why I'm asking here.

FoxWolFrostFire
2020-08-22, 12:36 AM
you've got a cool group mate, lets see if I can't come up with some other ideas. I mean a real simple way to make them happier is to order pizza over the phone for them. I mean, I know I am more likely to put up with mild annoying things when I got me some pizza.

Also if you have PDF's of the books have multiple tabs of them open for quick spell, feature, etc. Searching. (DON'T) look up monster stat blocks unless the DM gives you the go ahead. (Duh). And of course have a form of battery power back up or way to contact them in case your power dies out

nickl_2000
2020-08-25, 08:24 PM
Literally four 1's rolled in the first combat... I'm pretty sure that the group and DM knows that I'm not fudging my rolls

MaxWilson
2020-08-25, 09:07 PM
Literally four 1's rolled in the first combat... I'm pretty sure that the group and DM knows that I'm not fudging my rolls

Only if they've never read Machiavelli. :)

The first combat would be an excellent time to cultivate a reputation for honesty, he would say, so that if the time ever comes when dishonesty is vital to victory you will be believed.

(And yeah, Machiavelli was a scumbag in his private life as well as his writings, so feel free to ignore his advice.)

Chaos_Laicosin
2020-08-25, 10:55 PM
Order pizza and beer for them.