PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Unseelie rp advice

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-23, 02:02 AM
So I’ve got a pc who is the champion of the queen of air and darkness (long story). They’re a satyr, and I’ve had some ideas for how to play them as psychotically as the unseelie deserve.
They like inviting people for fun “games” generally involving bloodshed.
They act nice and lovely to people at first, asking if they can be “friends”
There is one person who they know dislikes them, so they act super friendly to them, whilst subtly making them feel uncomfortable.
Anyone have any ideas how to kind of expand on this?

Spore
2020-08-23, 07:15 AM
I DMed a game with several unseelie fey. Two questions first of all, is this a player character that is supposed to be played in a group or solo game? And how far are you willing to go (both DM and other players)?

Generally I RP my unseelie fey as not only revelling in STRONG negative emotions, but basically feeding on it. Now Satyrs are naturally pretty "lustful" for the term of a better word, so RPing them appropriately could be very uncomfortable for some players (characters are given but if the players are cool with it, go for it). Examples given where:

1) I had grig (cicada-esque bard fey which were corrupted summer spirits), they played a discomforting tune to impose penalties upon the players (you could with DM permission play some bizarre tunes at the table).

2) I had a quickling run around with the McGuffin, circling players, tempting them with the item, prompting very high combat maneuver or sleight of hand checks to pull the item. Virtually impossible and designed to tick them off.

3) I had an awakened pig wizard fill pies with human innards. He could cast stinking cloud (because of course he did), scorching ray (refluffed as burning pie filling), impose poisoned/sickened condition with his pie filling machine at range, and clobbering people with his meat tenderizer in melee.

They did not get some kind of mechanical bonus from the bad emotions, but the psychological warfare could have made them do mistakes. Generally though if you are an annoying pissant of a creature, focus this on enemies, not other players, or you are THAT player.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-23, 03:50 PM
I DMed a game with several unseelie fey. Two questions first of all, is this a player character that is supposed to be played in a group or solo game? And how far are you willing to go (both DM and other players)?

Generally I RP my unseelie fey as not only revelling in STRONG negative emotions, but basically feeding on it. Now Satyrs are naturally pretty "lustful" for the term of a better word, so RPing them appropriately could be very uncomfortable for some players (characters are given but if the players are cool with it, go for it). Examples given where:

1) I had grig (cicada-esque bard fey which were corrupted summer spirits), they played a discomforting tune to impose penalties upon the players (you could with DM permission play some bizarre tunes at the table).

2) I had a quickling run around with the McGuffin, circling players, tempting them with the item, prompting very high combat maneuver or sleight of hand checks to pull the item. Virtually impossible and designed to tick them off.

3) I had an awakened pig wizard fill pies with human innards. He could cast stinking cloud (because of course he did), scorching ray (refluffed as burning pie filling), impose poisoned/sickened condition with his pie filling machine at range, and clobbering people with his meat tenderizer in melee.

They did not get some kind of mechanical bonus from the bad emotions, but the psychological warfare could have made them do mistakes. Generally though if you are an annoying pissant of a creature, focus this on enemies, not other players, or you are THAT player.
Hm. Yeah this is a pc on a server so they have some leniency. I don't want to like.. actually hurt player feelings because.. that would be bad. But general mischief is up for grabs.
They're all good ideas, thank you!