PDA

View Full Version : Background Weapon, outside of class options?

Nikushimi
2020-08-23, 03:16 AM
Hey there.

Posing this scenario and question to see what options are available.

I currently have a character who is probably going to be a Warlock.

In their backstory their parents disappear (unsure whether they're alive or not), but the only thing left behind is his mothers weapon. A sword.

This sword he carries with him, using it when he has to.

He has this sword for several years before the age at which he starts actually adventuring.
---

Now, with this background, if I choose Warlock (which is most likely due to his background), what options would I have for such a sword?

Warlocks only have proficiency with Simple Weapons. None of which are swords. Shortswords, Longswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, nothing.

All "Swords" are Martial Weapons. Something Warlocks don't get.
--

So what options are there? Would it be plausible to allow proficiency with this weapon?

Is there any other way, within the rules, to gain proficiency with this weapon?

If my DM isn't so inclined TO give proficiency, how does that work when you use a weapon you're not proficient in? Is it just using your Str/Dex and NOT your Proficiency Bonus?

What options do I have in order to use this weapon?
---

Btw, I am fine using the weapon without proficiency if that is what the option is. As it creates an interesting roleplaying scenario.

I'm just trying to figure out my options here.

Thank you.
---

P.s. I also ask this question for any other class too. If they have, in their backstory, something similar, what options are available for them to use that weapon?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-23, 03:47 AM
Hey, good news! Wait till level three and pick up pact of blade, bond with the weapon, could be cool for rp. Alternatively you could go hex blade.
EDIT: also some races give proficiency like hobgoblin, elf, variant human with weapon master (but eh).

Nikushimi
2020-08-23, 03:58 AM
Hey, good news! Wait till level three and pick up pact of blade, bond with the weapon, could be cool for rp. Alternatively you could go hex blade.
EDIT: also some races give proficiency like hobgoblin, elf, variant human with weapon master (but eh).

This character will be Human. Possibly Variant.

Though if I go Variant I may go Skilled feat because of his hobby/work of making potions, salves, and such which heal, cure diseases, coat weapons for weaknesses of monsters, etc.

And my party, including the DM's that we have (we have two DM's that alternate their games) said that I would need both Alchemist Supplies and Herbalism Kit to do that...so yeah. Hard to get both right away with my combination of Human and Warlock. Lol.

But back to the sword.

I could go Pact of the Blade. I did think about it, but I'm not sure. As I might do Pact of the Chain.
---

So seems my options are, by book, using it without proficiency and just pure stat bonuses, getting Weapon Master Feat, or waiting till 3rd level and getting Pact of the Blade.

Alrighty. Thanks for the help.

If anyone has any other input or ideas, feel free to let me know!

Unoriginal
2020-08-23, 04:52 AM
And my party, including the DM's that we have (we have two DM's that alternate their games) said that I would need both Alchemist Supplies and Herbalism Kit to do that...so yeah. Hard to get both right away with my combination of Human and Warlock. Lol.

A Background can give you those.

But back to the sword.

I could go Pact of the Blade. I did think about it, but I'm not sure. As I might do Pact of the Chain.
---

So seems my options are, by book, using it without proficiency and just pure stat bonuses, getting Weapon Master Feat, or waiting till 3rd level and getting Pact of the Blade.

Alrighty. Thanks for the help.

If anyone has any other input or ideas, feel free to let me know!

You could go Hexblade Warlock, at lvl 1. You can still go Blade or Chain later, if you wish.

cutlery
2020-08-23, 08:49 AM
I think for situations like this, if the backstory is coming from the player, it's on the player to make it work within the rules. There are a variety of ways to gain proficiency with a longsword (racials, a feat for variant human, hexblade patron, levels of another class).

Alternatively, it may be a weapon the character carries but can't use well.

HappyDaze
2020-08-23, 09:48 AM
Alternatively, it may be a weapon the character carries but can't use well.

Always an answer. Just because you want your character to be able to do something doesn't mean you're going to be good at it without making an effort (i.e., spending a feat, multiclassing, taking a specific race, etc.).

Ertwin
2020-08-23, 12:31 PM
AFAIK, you can still use weapons you aren't proficient in, you just don't add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-23, 03:52 PM
I think hermit background can get you herbalism kit and medicine..

Rara1212
2020-08-23, 04:00 PM
I think hermit background can get you herbalism kit and medicine..

You can also customize any background if you want, and take the tools & skills you need(well, max 2 of each)

Nikushimi
2020-08-23, 07:10 PM
A Background can give you those.

No background gives you two tool proficiencies.

Hermit gives you Herbalism Kit, and any other that gives you a Tool Proficiency is typically Thieves Tools or a Disguise kit.

Or the background doesn't work for my background.

Nikushimi
2020-08-23, 07:11 PM
You can also customize any background if you want, and take the tools & skills you need(well, max 2 of each)

Currently, our DM's don't allow too much background customization for what's in the book.

Like your background can be whatever you want in terms of story, but when it comes to choosing in the book, it's a bit limited.

Took me some talking to one of them to allow me a mix and match of Folk Hero and Soldier for a previous character.

Rara1212
2020-08-23, 08:26 PM
Currently, our DM's don't allow too much background customization for what's in the book.

Like your background can be whatever you want in terms of story, but when it comes to choosing in the book, it's a bit limited.

Took me some talking to one of them to allow me a mix and match of Folk Hero and Soldier for a previous character.

Even when it's a direct rule that you are allowed to do so?
The sample backgrounds are mainly for quick selection.

I could understand not letting you make your own equipment package, or feature, but restricting skill, language & tool profs isnt fun. Even less if they force you to use the Traits, Ideals, Bonds & Flaws, and not make your own or combine different ones

Aramul
2020-08-23, 08:29 PM

Customizing backgrounds is a core feature listed in the PHB, the only part of this that calls for DM adjudication is the creation of entirely new features. You should point out this passage in the PHB listed at the beginning of the backgrounds section. Backgrounds are a guide for your roleplaying, not hard requirements.

Customizing a Background
You might want to tweak some of the features of a background so it better fits your character or the campaign setting. To customize a background, you can replace one feature with any other one, choose any two skills, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or languages from the sample backgrounds. You can either use the equipment package from your background or spend coin on gear as described in chapter 5. (If you spend coin, you can’t also take the equipment package suggested for your class.) Finally, choose two personality traits, one ideal, one bond, and one flaw. If you can’t find a feature that matches your desired background, work with your DM to create one.

Nikushimi
2020-08-23, 08:56 PM
Even when it's a direct rule that you are allowed to do so?
The sample backgrounds are mainly for quick selection.

I could understand not letting you make your own equipment package, or feature, but restricting skill, language & tool profs isnt fun. Even less if they force you to use the Traits, Ideals, Bonds & Flaws, and not make your own or combine different ones

Yes, I know. Our group started 5e maybe a year or two ago? At the time they wanted to keep things as simple as possible, and so refused any kind of customization. Despite me pointing out that the book says that you can mix and match from various backgrounds and choose your own flaws, bonds, etc. if nothing fit your character.

But they were adamant about it, and it was a talk to let them get me to mix and match between Folk Hero and Soldier, cause both backgrounds worked, but with slight differences.

Customizing backgrounds is a core feature listed in the PHB, the only part of this that calls for DM adjudication is the creation of entirely new features. You should point out this passage in the PHB listed at the beginning of the backgrounds section. Backgrounds are a guide for your roleplaying, not hard requirements.

Yeah, I know. I pointed this out to them. As stated, we started 5e maybe a year or two ago. Something like that.

At the time they wanted to keep customization, or changing things to a minimum. Even though I pointed out that in the book it says you can mix and match from the various backgrounds to fit your character.

They wanted to get a feel for the edition before changing anything so things didn't get too strong. Which I can understand, but at the same time it was just choosing backgrounds.

I know they are a guide, but they took it as a sort of requirement and it feels very limited. I think they're still trying to grasp 5e a bit since before this they played mostly 3.5 for many, many years before I joined them.