PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH Variant of Wizard or Sorcerer capable of casting two low-level spells at a time

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-23, 08:29 AM
VERS 0.2

Hi everyone, I'm here to bring you an embryonic idea that I had, and which I am currently trying to develop as a class variant of the Wizard or Sorcerer, mainly for beta testing reasons.

These are the characteristics:

Full progression of spell slots.
Access to all spell lists.
The level of newly learned spells is not based on spell slots but on a specific column, similar to the one of the warlock's slot level. It goes up to the 5th level, and has the same progression as the 1/2 casters.
At 3rd level, the player learns to cast two spells at the same time by spending a spell slot of a level equal to or greater than the sum of the levels of the two spells cast.

LevelProficiency
BonusFeaturesCantrips
KnownSpells
Level1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
1st2 Spellcasting, Arcane Recovery312--------
2nd2Arcane Tradition313--------
3rd2Twincasting3142-------
4th2Ability Score Improvement4143-------
5th3-42432------
6th3Arcane Tradition feature42433------
7th3-424331-----
8th3Ability Score Improvement424332-----
9th4-4343331----
10th4Arcane Tradition feature5343332----
11th4-53433321---
12th4Ability Score Improvement53433321---
13th5-544333211--
14th5Arcane Tradition feature544333211--
15th5-5443332111-
16th5Ability Score Improvement5443332111-
17th6-55433321111
18th6Spell Mastery55433331111
19th6Ability Score Improvement55433332111
20th6Signature Spell55433332211

As you can see in the wizard's table, i assumed the same spells known progression of the standard class.

LevelProficiency
BonusSorcery
PointsFeaturesCantrips
KnownSpells
KnownSpells
Level1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
1st2-Spellcasting, Sorcerous Origin4212--------
2nd22Font of Magic4313--------
3rd23Metamagic, Twincasting44142-------
4th24Ability Score Improvement55143-------
5th35562432------
6th36Sorcerous Origin feature572433------
7th375824331-----
8th38Ability Score Improvement5924332-----
9th49510343331----
10th410Metamagic611343332----
11th4116123433321---
12th412Ability Score Improvement6133433321---
13th51361444333211--
14th514Sorcerous Origin feature61544333211--
15th515616443332111-
16th516Ability Score Improvement617443332111-
17th617Metamagic6185433321111
18th618Sorcerous Origin feature6195433331111
19th619Ability Score Improvement6205433332111
20th620Sorcerous Restoration6215433332211

As for the sorcerer, I increased the total number of spells from 15 to 21. My idea is that this can partially solve the problem of the sorcerer's lack of versatility.

I've done some math, and from what little I've seen it looks like the damage output is definitely underpowered. These calculations take into account the average damage dealt to a single target, so they are not very reliable:

Using a 3rd level spell slot the average damages are still comparable.

ClassSpellLvDmgAverageSumRatio
StandardFireball3rd8d62828
VariantShatter2nd3d813,5
Burning Hands1st3d610,5240,85

Same for a 5th level spell slot.

StandardCone of Cold5th8d83636
VariantShatter2nd3d813.5
Fireball3rd8d62841,51,15

Using a 9th level spell slot the average damage of the standard version seems more than double that of the variant.

StandardMeteor Swarm9th40d6140140
VariantCone of Cold5th8d836
Fireball4th9d631,567,50,48

Personally I don't really care about this discrepancy, it just makes room for other additions, such as the ability to maintain concentration on two spells at a time, add the spellcasting modifier to the damage, shape the spell like with the Sculpt Spells feature, or be more imaginative with the sorcerer's metamagic.

Below is an example of how Spellcasting features could change.

Spellcasting

As a student of Arcane Magic, you have a Spellbook containing Spells that show the first glimmerings of your true power.

Cantrips: At 1st level, you know three Cantrips of your choice from any spell list. You learn additional Cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Wizard table.

Spellbook: At 1st level, you have a Spellbook containing six 1st-level Spells chosen from any list. Your Spellbook is the repository of the Wizard Spells you know, except your Cantrips, which are fixed in your mind.

Preparing and Casting Spells: The Wizard table shows how many Spell Slots you have to cast your Spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these Spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended Spell Slots when you finish a Long Rest.

You prepare the list of Wizard Spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of Wizard Spells from your Spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your Wizard level (minimum of one spell). The Spells must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level.

You can change your list of prepared Spells when you finish a Long Rest. Preparing a new list of Wizard Spells requires time spent studying your Spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per Spell Level for each spell on your list.

Spellcasting Ability: Intelligence is your Spellcasting Ability for your Wizard Spells, since you learn your Spells through dedicated study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your Spellcasting Ability. In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Wizard spell you cast and when Making an Attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your Proficiency Bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell Attack modifier = your Proficiency Bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Ritual Casting: You can cast a Wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your Spellbook. You don't need to have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus: You can use an arcane focus as a Spellcasting focus for your Wizard Spells.

Learning Spells of 1st level and Higher: Each time you gain a Wizard level, you can add two Spells chosen from any list to your Spellbook for free. Each of these Spells must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level. On your Adventures, you might find other Spells that you can add to your Spellbook (see “Your Spellbook”).

Spellcasting

An event in your past, or in the life of a parent or ancestor, left an indelible mark on you, infusing you with arcane magic. This font of magic, whatever its origin, fuels your spells.

Cantrips: At 1st level, you know four Cantrips of your choice from any spell list. You learn additional Cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the Sorcerer table.

Spell Slots: The Sorcerer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these sorcerer spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

For example, if you know the 1st-level spell Burning Hands and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast Burning Hands using either slot.

Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher: You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from any spell list.

The Spells Known column of the Sorcerer table shows when you learn more spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level. For instance, when you reach 5th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the sorcerer spells you know and replace it with another spell from any spell list, which also must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column for your level.

Spellcasting Ability: Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your sorcerer spells, since the power of your magic relies on your ability to project your will into the world. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a sorcerer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Spellcasting Focus: You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your sorcerer spells.

Finally, a possible version of the feature that allows you to cast two spells at the same time:

Twincasting

From 3rd level onwards, you can use your action to cast two different wizard's/sorcerer's spells toghether, both 1st level or higher and with a casting time no longer than one action, spending a spell slot of a level no less than the sum of the levels of the two spells. If you use a spell slot with a higher level than the sum, you choose which of the two spells to cast at a higher level, increased by the difference. Choose which spell resolve first.

For example...

If an enemy uses counterspell to counter this feature, treat the two spells as one, equal to the level of the spell slot used. If counterspell is successful, both spells are negated.

In my opinion it could be a nice system for a variant of the sorcerer, and I think it can also fit well in terms of flavour. What do you say?
Do you think there can be overpowered spell combinations?

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-24, 07:47 AM
Talking with a friend about this idea we came to the conclusion of simplifying everything.

ChangeLog from v0.1 to v0.2:

Eliminate columns of Any Spells Known and Any Slot Level.
Learning of both new spells and cantrips extended to any list.
Reformulated the text of both the Spellcasting features.

You can see the changes in the first post.

Yakk
2020-08-24, 09:02 AM
Fireball and Meteor Swarm are both "above balance" spells. You'll get skewed results if you only use them.

At 6, for example, double-fireball is 56. Find a 6th level aoe spell that does 56.

Second, it shouldn't be "slot level" but "max spell level known".

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-24, 09:19 AM
Thankyou for your answer!

Fireball and Meteor Swarm are both "above balance" spells. You'll get skewed results if you only use them.

At 6, for example, double-fireball is 56. Find a 6th level aoe spell that does 56.

You are right, that's why Twincast says "you can use your action to cast two different spells toghether". Casting two fireballs with a 6th level slot is out of the question ^^

Second, it shouldn't be "slot level" but "max spell level known".

And you are right again, I based the name on the Warlock table. I changed it to "Spells Level".

What could be some critical spells to test in combos?

For example:

StandardCone of Cold5th8d83636
VariantShatter2nd3d813.5
Fireball3rd8d62841,51,15

In this case the Variant is higher than the Standard.

Yakk
2020-08-24, 09:44 AM
Ok then: fireball and lightning bolt. Same difference.

---

First, go back to the DMG and look at the advised balance criteria. How does it add up?

---

Second, one of the top-line combos in 5e is action surge spellcasting. Now the classic one is action surge "death zone" plus forcecage (for a variety of death zone spells), but there are going to be others. Other people have done charop on using action surge with wizard spells; go steal their advice. You are basically doing action surge casting every single round with a limited total level cap.

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-24, 10:14 AM
Ok then: fireball and lightning bolt. Same difference.

---

First, go back to the DMG and look at the advised balance criteria. How does it add up?

---

Second, one of the top-line combos in 5e is action surge spellcasting. Now the classic one is action surge "death zone" plus forcecage (for a variety of death zone spells), but there are going to be others. Other people have done charop on using action surge with wizard spells; go steal their advice. You are basically doing action surge casting every single round with a limited total level cap.

Ok, that's a point. A 6th level fireball deals 38.5 damage, a 3rd level fireball + a 3rd level lighting bolt deals 56 damage, with a ratio of 1.45.
Better considering a 6th level chain lightning, with 45 damage on each target, and a ratio of 1.24, while for example a 6th level circle of death deals only 28 damage on a single target, but they are necrotic and on every creature in an circle of 60ft radius...

It's surely something to take in account someway. Maybe I have a solution but I have to think about it, because it might be a bit too cumbersome. (The idea is to introduce a limitation or an additional cost when using spell slots of level 6 or higher, as already happens for some other features.)

---

What do you mean with "How does it add up?" O_o

---

You are right, but consider that forcecage is a level 7th spell, and this variants can cast only up to 5th level. Also there's not only a limited total level cap, but also the consumption of a high-level spell slot, which could normally be used to cast a single, and in theory, powerful spell.

Yakk
2020-08-24, 10:28 AM
The DMG has rules on how much damage a level X spell should do.

Check those rules for when damage(X)+damage(Y) > damage(X+Y). (This isn't definitive, but might point you in the right direction).

You are right, but consider that forcecage is a level 7th spell, and this variants can cast only up to 5th level. Also there's not only a limited total level cap, but also the consumption of a high-level spell slot, which could normally be used to cast a single, and in theory, powerful spell.
Why yes, the specific example I mentioned doesn't apply here; I never said it did. I'm saying look for other examples of action surge optimization. People have done that work. Use their work. It doesn't matter if one particular use of the optimization isn't broken; LOOK AT THE OTHERS.

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-24, 10:35 AM
The DMG has rules on how much damage a level X spell should do.

Check those rules for when damage(X)+damage(Y) > damage(X+Y). (This isn't definitive, but might point you in the right direction).

Ok, then I understood what you were referring to, I wasn't sure ^^

Why yes, the specific example I mentioned doesn't apply here; I never said it did. I'm saying look for other examples of action surge optimization. People have done that work. Use their work. It doesn't matter if one particular use of the optimization isn't broken; LOOK AT THE OTHERS.

perfect, that's exactly the kind of verification I was looking for.

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-26, 11:28 AM
Hi guys!

It took me these days to make some considerations. As Yakk suggested, I looked for the most popular spells to use with Action Surge. From what I've seen the only spell combination considered for our range of slots level is the double Fireball, that in our case will became Fireball+Lightning Bolt.

I also looked for a spreadsheet with the spells average damage and various other datas, and reworked it to be able to make some calculus.

You can see it here. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AYaHu1kbNh1udrJfPrFyMAWT7cGf-X_3GL6kyUkTNco/edit#gid=1284899472)

From what I have seen the order of magnitude of the damage is comparable, both if we consider immediate damage (Chain Lightning, Sunburst,...) and damage per turn (Sunbeam, Symbol (Death), Incendiary Cloud, Tsunami,...), especially considering other factors, such as element, range and area of ​​the spell.

In reality, the situation is so crossover that I reserve the right to modify Twincasting by adding something like: "Slots of 6th level or higher count as 1 level lower when you use this feature", but only if it proves necessary in beta testing.

Meanwhile, I added this: "If an enemy uses counterspell to counter this feature, treat the two spells as one, equal to the level of the spell slot used. If counterspell is successful, both spells are negated."

Feel free to leave a feedback!