PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Monsters Levels 1-5

dededo11
2020-08-24, 10:23 AM
Do you think there are enough monsters in the arctic environment to get a party of characters from level 1-5?

LudicSavant
2020-08-24, 10:51 AM
Do you think there are enough monsters in the arctic environment to get a party of characters from level 1-5?

Yes.

And don't be afraid to use CRs above 5, not everything needs to be a Medium encounter.

Unoriginal
2020-08-24, 10:53 AM

As in, arctic animals? Or hostile NPCs in general?

I don't see any reason why there'd be not enough of either, depending on the context. Traveling in the wild searching for gold isn't quite the same as having to defend a village from monsters or going to a dungeon which happens to be in the arctic environment.

And don't be afraid to use CRs above 5, not everything needs to be a Medium encounter.

Also true.

dededo11
2020-08-24, 11:05 AM
Hostile NPCs in general.

rlc
2020-08-24, 11:19 AM
I think there's one being released in like 3 weeks.
But, yeah, you can use pretty much any beast, and you can change the fire stuff for firenewts to cold stuff, and you're pretty much good to go for at least the early levels.

Unoriginal
2020-08-24, 11:20 AM
Hostile NPCs in general.

Well sure, most beings can live in the arctic.

Something I like is when fire beings show up, though. Provide a nice contrast between the enemies and the environment.

Firenewts in experimental Cold Combat Suits (imagine copper hat diving suits, but meant to keep the wearer hot) would be a pretty memorable encounter, for example. IMO at least.

Emongnome777
2020-08-24, 11:24 AM
According to D&D Beyond, 86 creatures have the arctic environment included in their list:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters?filter-cr-max=11&filter-cr-min=2&filter-environment=1&filter-search=&filter-type=0

Yeah, not many are actually "cold" themed necessarily, but it's a start. I think there's plenty to work with.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-24, 11:25 AM
Something I like is when fire beings show up, though. Provide a nice contrast between the enemies and the environment.

Which is why I love remorhazes. Generally, things that live in cold enviroments are portrayed as both resisting and causing cold damage. Remorhaz is immune to cold, as expected from an arctic monster, but it does fire damage which works on most arctic beings (and it's immune to fire itself). It's perfectly adapted to its enviroment.

Unoriginal
2020-08-24, 11:26 AM
According to D&D Beyond, 86 creatures have the arctic environment included in their list:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters?filter-cr-max=11&filter-cr-min=2&filter-environment=1&filter-search=&filter-type=0&page=5

Yeah, not many are actually "cold" themed necessarily, but it's a start. I think there's plenty to work with.

I mean even without that, any creature that can live in the arctic can be there.

Mmmh, I'm now picturing a Dao building themselves a palace there.

Which is why I love remorhazes. Generally, things that live in cold enviroments are portrayed as both resisting and causing cold damage. Remorhaz is immune to cold, as expected from an arctic monster, but it does fire damage which works on most arctic beings (and it's immune to fire itself). It's perfectly adapted to its enviroment.

And they burn when you attack or touch them. Remorhazes are terrifying.