PDA

View Full Version : The best thing to put Continual Flame on?

nickl_2000
2020-08-24, 02:38 PM
I've got a not all all stealthy V-Human Sword and Board Paladin going into the Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Since he won't have goggle of the night, I am going to have someone cast continual flame on it. What should I have it cast on? My Magical Warhammer, so it can be sheathed? Something else?

king_steve
2020-08-24, 02:41 PM
Bullseye Lantern? It should never run out of fuel and you can close it and focus the light if you need to illuminate a specific spot/location.

nickl_2000
2020-08-24, 02:47 PM
Bullseye Lantern? It should never run out of fuel and you can close it and focus the light if you need to illuminate a specific spot/location.

That works really well when I have a free hand. The issue comes up when I am in combat and have a shield in one hand and my magical warhammer in the other.

Mellack
2020-08-24, 02:48 PM
Weapons that can be sheathed are a good option. A medallion on a necklace works well too. You can have it either out giving light or instead put it under your tunic.

Edit: There is no reason you can't hang the lantern from your belt or pack, especially as it can't leak or burn you.

Monster Manuel
2020-08-24, 02:51 PM
Skull mask, so you can cosplay as Ghost Rider.

Seriously, though, the best thing to use is something that leaves your hands free, or that you would be holding anyway. A weapon you're holding at the ready is a good candidate, but you will want the ability to easily douse it. Does a warhammer have a sheathe, as a sword would? If so, that's good, but I've never pictured a sheathe for a warhammer. The shield is great too, but harder to douse the flame, unless you have a cloth or drape of some kind you can throw over it when you don't want a flaming shield.

If you go with the bullseye lantern (which is another great choice), consider casting it on something small which can be set inside the lantern, rather than the lantern itself. I've gotten into...discussions...where it's argued that the lantern itself is glowing/flaming, so closing the shutter has no impact. If you've cast it on a pebble, which you mount inside the lantern as "fuel" there's no ambiguity.

*edit* Oh, I almost forgot my favorite example! The guy who had it cast on his glass eye. flaming eyeball to impress the rubes when necessary, an eyepatch (or just squint) when darkness was required.

Mellack
2020-08-24, 02:53 PM
If you go with the bullseye lantern (which is another great choice), consider casting it on something small which can be set inside the lantern, rather than the lantern itself. I've gotten into...discussions...where it's argued that the lantern itself is glowing/flaming, so closing the shutter has no impact. If you've cast it on a pebble, which you mount inside the lantern as "fuel" there's no ambiguity.

That is a good point. Our group has always figured we were casting it on the wick, so it works like a regular lamp.

Monster Manuel
2020-08-24, 02:59 PM
That is a good point. Our group has always figured we were casting it on the wick, so it works like a regular lamp.

Yeah, the point of contention comes from the wording of the spell, which affects "an object". It doesn't specifically say you can target part of an object, just the object. I personally rule it that it's lame to have to come up with work-arounds like the pebble-in-the-lantern and it's cooler if you can cast it on the blade of a sword, or the wick of a lantern, or the interior of a cape, but there's some merit to the argument.

nickl_2000
2020-08-24, 03:01 PM
The Paladin has an amulet to Helm that he wear on his chest all the time (plus a holy symbol emblazoned on his shield). A flaming Holy Symbol to Helm is a pretty sweet plan.

Mellack
2020-08-24, 03:03 PM
Yeah, the point of contention comes from the wording of the spell, which affects "an object". It doesn't specifically say you can target part of an object, just the object. I personally rule it that it's lame to have to come up with work-arounds like the pebble-in-the-lantern and it's cooler if you can cast it on the blade of a sword, or the wick of a lantern, or the interior of a cape, but there's some merit to the argument.

Well at least the sword and lamp are fairly easy: disassemble them for the spell. I can see more of an issue for just one side of an object. In your cloak example, I would suggest having a lining made that you cast on then sew in.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-24, 03:10 PM
The paladin. You'll have to kill him first, then cast Continual Flame while he's dead and counts as object before Revivify-ing him. That will leave an impression.

KorvinStarmast
2020-08-24, 03:14 PM
Skull mask, so you can cosplay as Ghost Rider. I have cast it upon:
1. A Helm or a bandana. (for our human barbarian)

2. A staff. As part of a memorial for a dead NPC whose family we were helping out

3. On a club. I also cast Shillelagh on it with some frequency. vHuman Cleric, with Magic Initiate, Druid. Getting to 3rd level allowed me to get that spell one day while we were in town between adventures. Best 50 GP ruby I'd spent to date. I liked having a "magic club" in my possession, and with my chain mail, I wasn't gonna be stealty any time soon, so why not bring the glowing wrath of my deity down upon evil doers, eh?

NaughtyTiger
2020-08-24, 03:56 PM
Paladin of the Ancients is supposed to be a light unto the world, so I cast it on my shield.

Kyutaru
2020-08-24, 04:19 PM
Paladin of the Ancients is supposed to be a light unto the world, so I cast it on my shield.

Careful with the wording there. DMs will think you're holding a bright lantern in front of your face when you go to block. Make sure it's the front of the shield only that glows.

NaughtyTiger
2020-08-24, 04:46 PM
Careful with the wording there. DMs will think you're holding a bright lantern in front of your face when you go to block. Make sure it's the front of the shield only that glows.

I suppose, no DM has given me trouble... the rogue hates Quix, but Quix despises the rogue already.

Chronos
2020-08-24, 04:59 PM
My bard has it on a set of brass knuckles. Because seriously, flaming fist? Badass.

LudicSavant
2020-08-24, 05:30 PM
I've got a not all all stealthy V-Human Sword and Board Paladin going into the Dungeon of the Mad Mage. Since he won't have goggle of the night, I am going to have someone cast continual flame on it. What should I have it cast on? My Magical Warhammer, so it can be sheathed? Something else?

Something you can cover/uncover as an object interaction (or even less) and doesn't require your hand. For example, wearing an eyepatch over your fake eye, which you can then uncover and it sheds light.

Make sure to upcast the Continual Flame to level 3+ when you make it, so that it illuminates Magical Darkness.

Tvtyrant
2020-08-24, 05:31 PM
A spent Ioun Stone is a classic from 3.5, you could get a bunch to make a kind of halo effect.

Something held by your familiar if your familiar flies, like the Parrot from donkey kong.

Your teeth so you have a shining smile that light's up the dungeon.

Falconcry
2020-08-24, 07:50 PM
My wizard has a familiar with a pair of fake eyeglass frames fused to his head to take the light cantrip.

For your paladin I would go with the Harry Dresden route of a necklace you can put beneath you breastplate if you need to not attract every moth in the dungeon.

nickl_2000
2020-08-24, 07:57 PM
My wizard has a familiar with a pair of fake eyeglass frames fused to his head to take the light cantrip.

For your paladin I would go with the Harry Dresden route of a necklace you can put beneath you breastplate if you need to not attract every moth in the dungeon.

Bah, breastplate? You think he has the dex to be effective with a breastplate ;) but your point is absolutely still valid.

AttilatheYeon
2020-08-24, 10:05 PM
The codpiece on your plate armor.

stoutstien
2020-08-24, 10:18 PM
Rope or string is a strange but very utilitarian option.

Naanomi
2020-08-24, 10:23 PM
A dull grey Ioun Stone

HPisBS
2020-08-24, 10:34 PM
Skull mask, so you can cosplay as Ghost Rider.
*edit* Oh, I almost forgot my favorite example! The guy who had it cast on his glass eye. flaming eyeball to impress the rubes when necessary, an eyepatch (or just squint) when darkness was required.

That is certainly worthy of being a favorite example :smallcool:

Lord Raziere
2020-08-24, 10:35 PM
a medallion or pendant, can be turned off by simply tucking it under your shirt.

either that, or a ring. small, easily carried, leaves both hands free and turning it off is simple as putting in your pocket, or putting on a glove. bracelet could also work, if you have long sleeves.

a headband or bandana could work, extra points for being a head light.

generally anything that can be easily taken on and off, small and doesn't take up a hand slot is ideal.

sithlordnergal
2020-08-24, 10:56 PM
Get yourself a custom made helmet in order to have Continual Flame cast on it. Not only will you have a permanent headlamp, but just picture yourself. You get to wear this awesome pronged helmet, and the prongs are ON FIRE as you charge into the enemy. Practical, intimidating, awesome.

CheddarChampion
2020-08-25, 12:44 AM
A golden tooth. Grin wide for light, helps your dentist see.

Or just cast it on something like a mouth guard for the same mechanical effect. Like the kind you see in football (USA)/soccer (else).

Contrast
2020-08-25, 06:37 AM
a medallion or pendant, can be turned off by simply tucking it under your shirt.

either that, or a ring. small, easily carried, leaves both hands free and turning it off is simple as putting in your pocket, or putting on a glove. bracelet could also work, if you have long sleeves.

a headband or bandana could work, extra points for being a head light.

generally anything that can be easily taken on and off, small and doesn't take up a hand slot is ideal.

This - my usual suggestion would probably be a bead on a necklace or braclet which you can tuck in and out of your armour.

Someone in my party had it cast on their weapon because it looked badass but on more than one occasion that has caused problems where they didn't want to be illuminated but wanted to use the weapon.

Another point - make sure someone else in the party is also carrying a light source around. You have both hands full, casters often do not and can afford to carry around a torch without worry even if they're not the one lacking darkvision.

nickl_2000
2020-08-25, 06:41 AM
This - my usual suggestion would probably be a bead on a necklace or braclet which you can tuck in and out of your armour.

Someone in my party had it cast on their weapon because it looked badass but on more than one occasion that has caused problems where they didn't want to be illuminated but wanted to use the weapon.

Another point - make sure someone else in the party is also carrying a light source around. You have both hands full, casters often do not and can afford to carry around a torch without worry even if they're not the one lacking darkvision.

The party consists of an Elf Monk (darkvision), Deep Gnome Cleric/Wizard (Superior Darkvision and the light spell), Human Mastermind Rogue, and Human Oath of Glory Paladin. The Cleric/Wizard has the light spell already and the Rogue picked up a lantern of revealing. So, this wouldn't be the only light source available. I just don't want to depend on others for light when my PC can provide it for himself.

KorvinStarmast
2020-08-25, 09:36 AM
The codpiece on your plate armor. *cackle*
A dull grey Ioun Stone Nice choice.

Sigreid
2020-08-25, 09:42 AM
Your boot. It'll shed light in the radius without putting the light source right in your face.

Jophiel
2020-08-25, 01:43 PM
I had a human wizard who kept it on a silk scarf. Could be hung from the belt for light or shoved into a pouch for darkness without much fuss or space. Or tied to something else as needed for other applications.

micahaphone
2020-08-25, 01:59 PM
The best part of putting it on a pendant is you can wear it as a headband underneath your armor. Facing a knight who has fire pouring out of the eye holes in their helmet is downright terrifying!

Keravath
2020-08-25, 02:11 PM
Get a few of them. I like rocks/pebbles and pieces of metal I can fit to things as decent options.

1) Stick with a continual light rock at the end to use as a torch.
2) Bullseye lantern with continual light cast inside it (never needs oil)
3) Continual light stone I can toss into darkened rooms (not the disposable kind which get used with the light cantrip and dropped down wells :) ).
4) Round piece of metal or other item I can snap to my helmet or hat. Makes a great headlight and doesn't need a hand to be held. Only useful if I don't care about stealth and your head always has a light on it so if you want to be less obvious you have to take an action to snap it off and put it in a pocket (on the other hand it lets you do whatever you like with both hands free and always have light in the direction you turn your head to look).
5) Handkerchief - foldable pocket light source.

Don't forget to upcast it so that it can't be dispelled/stopped by magical darkness or easily by dispel magic.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-25, 03:55 PM
The best part of putting it on a pendant is you can wear it as a headband underneath your armor. Facing a knight who has fire pouring out of the eye holes in their helmet is downright terrifying!

I think the effect would be a bit ruined by the knight blindly stumbling around because he can't see over his own light soruce.

nickl_2000
2020-08-25, 07:48 PM
Thanks folks, I went with the Holy Symbol Amulet to Helm. Between being effective and being a cool image it was to perfect.

FabulousFizban
2020-08-26, 12:39 AM
Your own head. Be ghost rider!

Joe the Rat
2020-08-26, 10:54 AM
I'm really liking the idea of a helm/circlet/headband. A little crown of fire action. Might have to try that.

Nod_Hero
2020-08-27, 09:57 PM
A small sphere of any material that weighs 1 pound or less, then get it spinning on top of your Staff of Adornment.

unusualsuspect
2020-09-01, 04:12 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/31/64/693164f1f926592c6a368ae2a0334940.jpg

Some of your eyes haven't seen the glory of the Redeemer, faithful servant of the God-Emperor of Mankind, and it shows.

BoringInfoGuy
2020-09-02, 07:35 PM
I like to Continual Flame backup weapons like a dagger for the Human Rogue. He tended to dual wield short swords, but if he got stuck in the dark he could sacrifice a bit of damage to see.

The wild mage sorcerer asked to have a loose gold tooth Flamed. Was useful to roll into hard to see places.

Don’t rely completely on Continual Flame. Magical Light can be magically dispelled. Bring backup torches or similar.

Note: Upcasting Continual Flame helps defend against dispelling.

Stattick
2020-09-03, 01:05 AM
Lantern Shield. Close the shield when you want darkness. Open it when you want light.

I had a red headed human character that cast it on her underwear. No more fumbling in the dark when attacked at night.

Edea
2020-09-03, 01:49 AM
Codpiece. Failing that, subligar.

Cyclops08
2020-09-03, 04:17 AM
The staff idea was pretty good. Further you can have a leather cap made for a few gold so you can douse it.

My wiz had a pointy hat. He used the point to cast a continual flame on. very interesting when we went into town.

HappyDaze
2020-09-03, 04:23 AM
I'm really liking the idea of a helm/circlet/headband. A little crown of fire action. Might have to try that.

A Japanese-style hairpin can work too for those with long hair.

Tharkun
2020-09-03, 01:48 PM

A wick is replaceable. So cast it on a wick then install it.

but I also like casting continual flame on a kerchief. And wearing it around my neck a lot and using a scroll case to make it a flashlight when needed.

Tharkun
2020-09-03, 01:48 PM

I have a character who cast it on a wig.

nickl_2000
2020-09-03, 01:54 PM
I have a character who cast it on a wig.

You just want to be able to go Super Saiyan

https://media2.giphy.com/media/Dh9jqNm8YcGVG/200.gif

cutlery
2020-09-03, 02:00 PM
A rock you can toss (or have someone else toss) at people so you can see them better while remaining in darkness for a round of ranged combat.

Tharkun
2020-09-03, 02:19 PM
A rock you can toss (or have someone else toss) at people so you can see them better while remaining in darkness for a round of ranged combat.
I have put a kerchief with continual flame on it on a familiar or animal companion and then had the pet light up the target zone while remaining in darkness myself.

FabulousFizban
2020-09-03, 11:47 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/31/64/693164f1f926592c6a368ae2a0334940.jpg

Some of your eyes haven't seen the glory of the Redeemer, faithful servant of the God-Emperor of Mankind, and it shows.

I take it back. THIS.

FrancisBean
2020-09-05, 12:45 PM
Lodestone. Most metal armor is ferromagnetic, which makes it conveniently dual-use on your own or on an opponent's.

Temperjoke
2020-09-06, 01:10 PM
Side question, do you guys rule that the appearance of the Continual Flame looks like normal fire, or is it a different color? Because I was thinking that you could use up spare slots just before a long rest on a bunch of ball bearings, which could be stored in a jar or something and stowed in a bag. Then at appropriate times, you could just the "flaming" ball bearings as a distraction or pretend that something is on fire.

FrancisBean
2020-09-06, 01:29 PM
Side question, do you guys rule that the appearance of the Continual Flame looks like normal fire, or is it a different color?
From the 5e SRD:

The effect looks like a regular flame, but it creates no heat and doesn't use oxygen.

Temperjoke
2020-09-06, 01:36 PM
From the 5e SRD:

Which is why I asked if they "ruled", I know the RAW states that it looks like normal flame. I also seem to recall various adventures having continual flames in different colors than standard, so I thought I'd pose the question.

FrancisBean
2020-09-06, 07:28 PM
Which is why I asked if they "ruled", I know the RAW states that it looks like normal flame. I also seem to recall various adventures having continual flames in different colors than standard, so I thought I'd pose the question.

...huh. Now that's an interesting notion. If it were my campaign, I'd probably accept any non-magical fire color the caster had seen. Once you start pulling out copper salts and the like, things can get very colorful. I'd only be limiting it to things the caster had seen so I could glare over my glasses at any player who wanted to start X-Ray fires, or "nothing harmful... low levels of gamma radiation."