PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Prismatic Spray/Wall, Violet

J-H
2020-08-24, 10:13 PM
On a failed save, the target is Blinded. It must then make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of your next turn. A successful save ends the blindness. If it fails that save, the creature is transported to another plane of existence of the DM's choosing and is no longer Blinded. (Typically, a creature that is on a plane that isn't its home plane is banished home, while other creatures are usually cast into the Astral or Ethereal planes.)

An upcoming campaign will feature at least two deities whose casters pack Prismatic Spray or Wall as a standard spell. There is no planes-hopping going on, and right now the only full caster is a Life Cleric who has no reason to prepare Plane Shift. Without Plane Shift, how does someone get back from failing a save against the Violet ray?

Wouldn't being cast into the Ethereal plane just mean that they are right there, but only able to be seen with See Invisibility, and only able to interact with Force Effects? That's actually a pretty cool effect...but how do you get back from the Ethereal Plane without spellcasting?

I suppose I could do a "after 1 hour, you revert to the material plane" effect... but that's not RAW anywhere, just eyeballing it.

Segev
2020-08-24, 10:14 PM
Clerics can change their spells prepared daily, so if they get stuck on another plane, it need last only a day at most.

MaxWilson
2020-08-24, 10:31 PM
An upcoming campaign will feature at least two deities whose casters pack Prismatic Spray or Wall as a standard spell. There is no planes-hopping going on, and right now the only full caster is a Life Cleric who has no reason to prepare Plane Shift. Without Plane Shift, how does someone get back from failing a save against the Violet ray?

Wouldn't being cast into the Ethereal plane just mean that they are right there, but only able to be seen with See Invisibility, and only able to interact with Force Effects? That's actually a pretty cool effect...but how do you get back from the Ethereal Plane without spellcasting?

I suppose I could do a "after 1 hour, you revert to the material plane" effect... but that's not RAW anywhere, just eyeballing it.

Without spellcasting, you have to go look for a planar portal. DM needs to have a solo adventure prepared.

Lunali
2020-08-24, 10:58 PM
Without magic, a portal is about the only way. With magic, a 4th level spell will do, (Banishment) as long as you aren't too picky about where you go (or if your DM is a kindly sort, you're likely to end up somewhere useful.

OvisCaedo
2020-08-25, 01:08 AM
Without magic, a portal is about the only way. With magic, a 4th level spell will do, (Banishment) as long as you aren't too picky about where you go (or if your DM is a kindly sort, you're likely to end up somewhere useful.

Actually... If you Banishment yourself while on some random plane, would it just send you back to your native one? (EDIT: Wait, this is exactly what you were saying. By 'where you go' you probably meant the location ON the regular material plane. Which uh. Yes, good point, it says nothing about that.)

Which is good, I think, because Plane Shift's priced material component means you can't just whip it out the next day as a cleric if you were never prepared for it to start with.