PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #283 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-02-17, 08:39 AM
New comic is up.

Belial_the_Leveler
2006-02-17, 08:42 AM
First post and all that aside, I think it is a very good comic. I really like how Elan is portrayed-as well as his relations with the rest of the group. While these Elan panels are IMHO not comical at all if you look at them carefully, they're just as important.

Bozidar
2006-02-17, 08:43 AM
Bah!! Weekend clifhangers!! >:(

Dark_Stalion
2006-02-17, 08:44 AM
Oh, man, that's Brilliant. Love the whole Elan getting in the way again thing.

jeannot
2006-02-17, 08:45 AM
so iīm totally with elan:

i hate weekend cliffhangers !

cīmon, just one more pannel :o
(guess i have to keep hitting the refresh button till monday ;) )

Tamis
2006-02-17, 08:46 AM
Mean!

Leaving us hanging like that... *pout*

Though Elan is cute as ever. :)

Kanashimi
2006-02-17, 08:46 AM
OHHHH! the suspense. I actually felt my heart drop into my lap when I read the last panel.

Such a tease!!!

Great strip though. I'm really looking forward to Monday!

Maryring
2006-02-17, 08:53 AM
Guilty. Wait, not guilty. Wait, Mr Scruffy has something to say. I think that vote will mean something, or not. Good comic anyway. Elan is right. It's gonna be tough to figure out who to vote for.

Renly
2006-02-17, 08:54 AM
OHHHH! the suspense. I actually felt my heart drop into my lap when I read the last panel.

Such a tease!!!

You know it's going to be a cutaway to the Belkar chase scene. Or redcloak / xyklon

Corestimah
2006-02-17, 08:54 AM
Cliffhanger! Gah! ;)

EDIT: 1st Page W00t!

Lightman
2006-02-17, 08:55 AM
WEEKEND CLIFFHANGERS? BRING IN THE PITCHFORKS! ;D

Tetsusaiga
2006-02-17, 08:58 AM
Damnyou giant! HAD to make a weekend cliffhanger
Yay first page!

Shatteredtower
2006-02-17, 08:58 AM

Er... Giant, could you make extra certain you stay out from underneath 16 tonne weights this weekend, especially those positioned carefully above a plate of free Burlew-feed?

BardicLasher
2006-02-17, 09:00 AM
Er... Giant, could you make extra certain you stay out from underneath 16 tonne weights this weekend, especially those positioned carefully above a plate of free Burlew-feed?

You know those weights never drop until the Giant leaves and the Coyote goes to figure out why the weight refused to drop.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-02-17, 09:00 AM
Bastardo!

Weekend cliffhanger?!

grrr... You did that on purpose you evil genius.

Now, watch, Monday's comic will be about Belkar and Miko...

Wait... Giant, you're not taking President's Day off are you? Is there a possibilty that the next comic will be ... (dun dun DUN) Wednesday!?

Edit= spelling... (li'l grrr)

TheWinterBard
2006-02-17, 09:01 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
I kill all cliffhangers! Evil!

Still, excellent comic. Poor Elan! He is so astonishingly clueless...

Vargtass
2006-02-17, 09:02 AM
It's nice to see how it's actually the BARD that causes the suspence and cliffhanger, as duly noted by Roy!

Way to go, Elan!

Reaver225
2006-02-17, 09:03 AM
Curse you, last-panel Elan!
CURSEEEE YOUUUUU!!!!

bwahahaa self-referential humor is great Giant!

kierthos
2006-02-17, 09:10 AM
I really like how Elan's passing the note to the cat doesn't even faze Lord Shojo...

mipers
2006-02-17, 09:11 AM
Brilliant ending! ;D

I liked this strip for three reasons:
1. Good, fun interactions between the characters.
2. Cliffhanger!
3. Excellent last puchlines from Roy and Elan.

Go Giant! :D

Adolfo
2006-02-17, 09:13 AM
I didn't know they had American Idol where they are ;D

wampus
2006-02-17, 09:16 AM
Yay! I'm part of the democratic process!

heh...

ahhh, the simple pleasures in life

Lasombra
2006-02-17, 09:17 AM
:P hehehe i think mr Scruffy is cool.

maybe Elan's got enough Hide and move silently that Lord shojo hasnt seen him? ;)

Darius Midnite
2006-02-17, 09:20 AM
Love it...
Stupid weekend cliffhanger!

Christian
2006-02-17, 09:21 AM
My guess: not guilty by reason of inanity.

What? It could be!

Maxymiuk
2006-02-17, 09:22 AM
Haley may not be able to say it, but she's sure as anything thinking it:

"Yeah, well it's different when I'm doing it!"

cruciare
2006-02-17, 09:25 AM
Ugh! A weekend clifhanger?! Giant, you Sir are Evil. Evil evil evil evil.

fwiffo
2006-02-17, 09:26 AM
I also love it how Haley has resigned herself that she can't communicate by talking and so resorted to non-verbal way of conveying her message to Roy. And, boy, does her look ever speak volumes? Pretty amazing job, considering she is just a stick figure.

I agree with other posters. In the great alignment debate, Giant has just demonstrated he is evil. Evil! With a capital E. And will be with a capital V, capital I and capital L if next streep is a cutaway to anyone besided Miko/Belkar.

Alfryd
2006-02-17, 09:27 AM
Not bad.

WEEKEND CLIFFHANGERS? BRING IN THE PITCHFORKS!
I second that.

Why do I have the suspicion Roy will come to regret this?

Miles_Pilitus
2006-02-17, 09:28 AM
I also love it how Haley has resigned herself that she can't communicate by talking and so resorted to non-verbal way of talking to Roy. And, boy, does her look ever speak volumes? Pretty amazing job, considering she is just a stick figure.

Makes sense, though. Rich is an Artist, he just draws this way because it's humorous.

Vengeful_Hand
2006-02-17, 09:29 AM
Bastardo!

Weekend cliffhanger?!

grrr... You did that on purpose you evil genius.

Now, watch, Monday's comic will be about Belkar and Miko...

Wait... Giant, you're not taking President's Day off are you? Is there a possibilty that the next comic will be ... (dun dun DUN) Wednesday!?

Edit= spelling... (li'l grrr)

What, you thought this was a coincidence? ;)

I love Elan's fluctuation. He doesn't know his left foot from his right, but he knows the democratic process, which is a fairly rare concept (most likely) on his plane of existance. It's like Durkon, being able to pronounce "stratosphere" but not "the".

I like this cliffhanger. Roy's last comment kind of takes the pressure out of it, so I won't mind waiting.

Go, Mr. Scruffy! Twist fate to your feline will!

Jibar
2006-02-17, 09:30 AM
Bastardo!

Hooray for Spanish!

And, suspensions always kill players, like ending a gaming session right before the big baddy,
Everybody hates them cliffhangers,

Overlord Jack Chainer
2006-02-17, 09:30 AM
*passes out do to anticipation* CURSE THE CREATOR OF WEEKEND CLIFFHANGERS! *glares into the distance.

Anyway very good comic today Rich you are indeed a genious. *bows in respect*

Vintrastorm
2006-02-17, 09:36 AM
I really liked that movie, Cliffhanger.

Blaznak
2006-02-17, 09:41 AM
Ok, this was fun! I like the idea of the accused in a crime having to determine their own fate!

You know, back in the day in England, etc., the jury was made up, not of people who heard nothing about the crime, but of local people who had heard EVERYTHING about the crime.

So... Maybe Elan is on to something?

Later!

Nyax
2006-02-17, 09:48 AM
lol for Elan's vote! And mr. scruffy answer was awesome (meow? XD). But now why why?? did Elan talk in the last panel?? now i won't be able to sleep till monday! Arg!
Still it was a good strip Giant.

Devoured_Dude
2006-02-17, 09:57 AM
Is it just me, or does Roy seem to be making his peace with this world? Telling Celia she did a great job no matter what happens, allowing Elan to do something foolish without complaint. Roy seems to be preparing for a guilty verdict.

Aeek
2006-02-17, 09:58 AM
Go, Mr. Scruffy! Twist fate to your feline will!

On the one hand Elan blew the gate up, on the other he respects Mr Scruffy.

But its Durkon's turn next.

aaronbourque
2006-02-17, 10:00 AM
Why would giving a note to Mr. Scruffy have any bearing on what the judgement of the extra-planer being of pure Law and Good?

Sure, if Lord Shojo were the judge, it might alter the outcome. But I don't think the EPBpPL&G listens to cats.

Cats are Chaotic.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

Single Shot Zombie
2006-02-17, 10:01 AM
Can't wait....can't wait....can't wait....can't wait....................WHEN IS MONDAY GONNA COME AROUND!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can't wait any more! Grrargh!

<Tears hair out in frustration, and goes on a rampage.>

The Doctor
2006-02-17, 10:02 AM
I had to laugh about the "Let's not tell Elan uncomfortable truths" line.
The question is : uncomfortable for who?
If do wonder who Elan voted for. (Let's hope he didn't listen to Banjo too much).

team56th
2006-02-17, 10:04 AM
Roy's new behaviour was good and...
I hate weekend cliffhangers!

a1057soul
2006-02-17, 10:13 AM
Rich, you had us at "Grrrr!", you don't have to lead us on; we will come back Monday. JUST FINISH THE STRIP WITHOUT CLIFFHANGERS!.

k'thanks!
:-D
Dan

(PS Grrrr! was the first word spoken back in issue #1 if case y'all forgot)

OHH and there had better be a strip Monday... no pulling the 'It was a Holiday!' thing... sheesh... racken fracken 2 day wait (hopefully not 3 days).

Max_Sinister
2006-02-17, 10:14 AM
I was just browsing through the comic forum when I suddenly saw that the new comic was up.

Great again - that Elan believes he can vote, how he gives the kitty his ballot, Haley giving Roy an angry look, the expected weekend cliffhanger - and to top it all, Roy pointing out that the cliffhanger is only because Elan spoke!

Supagoof
2006-02-17, 10:16 AM
Yay for weekend cliffhangers! Now we all have something to talk about around the water cooler, or really the YaBB.

Or we could talk about the fact Roy knows about American Idol - I suppose since they are all actors anyway....

Rich could have some fun with placing the OoTS into "A.I.", Simon getting all full of himself, Belkar on stage lopping off his head for gettin voted off, Elan stealing the glory because he's the most talented singer (or is he?).

Great Strip.

Vernal
2006-02-17, 10:16 AM
Bastardo!

As a technical bastard* myself, Rich you are... brilliant. And exceedingly frustratingly good at your craft.

I hate you for it.

But keep coming around 'cause I love you.

Vernal

*I'm technically a bastard as my birth cetificate does not list a father for me. Though my older and younger brothers' certificates DO list my father... hmmm.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-02-17, 10:17 AM
You know they're gonna be guilty. If the jury is PURE
Law and Good, he will never sway. Never.

DOOM2099
2006-02-17, 10:20 AM
AAWwwww man

I have rolled a new lvl 1 character I call Rick Lurbew, and invented a new class called "YouFreakinJerk", and in this new campaign Im starting?

Violated by Trolls.

tiroskassie
2006-02-17, 10:21 AM
nah nah nah.. Monday's comic will start with belkar running into the trail room with miko in close pursuit charred at the edges.. Cant you just see Celia's face when he runs in? lol

Is it just me, or does Roy seem to be making his peace with this world? Telling Celia she did a great job no matter what happens, allowing Elan to do something foolish without complaint. Roy seems to be preparing for a guilty verdict

Maybe Roy just doesnt think they can possibly be found guilty /shrug

Either way.. Kick ass comic and boooo on weekend cliffhangers :P

nightfire8199
2006-02-17, 10:26 AM
sweet comic i loved it. and how did the Oots know about American Idol. if there is no america and no show on? oh well.

Vampire_Boy
2006-02-17, 10:27 AM
At least we are near the resolution of the trial, yay! I just can't wait for the group to get back to Proper Adventuring!

The Mighty Being Of Pure Law and Good is challenging Miko for the most annoying character of the comic, as far as I'm concerned.

DOOM2099
2006-02-17, 10:29 AM
Yeah, there is no Japan how can there be an America or an American Idol?

Maybe Elan should sign up.

Caledonian
2006-02-17, 10:31 AM
I suspect Celia's side will win the day... because she got more votes.

Deuce
2006-02-17, 10:32 AM
See, this is what we get for wanting the comics up bright and early. If Rich had slipped this in just before midnight, we'd have like 17 fewer hours to wait until the verdict (or at least the next strip . . .) A perpetual pox upon prolific punctuality I say!

ArcaneAnarchist
2006-02-17, 10:36 AM
I was actually thinking last night, "Ugh. If I know Burlew, he's giving us a cliffhanger."

But still. It was quite funny. On par, if not one of the greats.

indianajoe
2006-02-17, 10:37 AM
A weekend Cliffhanger?! That....That's so cruel. *sigh* Such is the way of things I suppose.

evileeyore
2006-02-17, 10:43 AM
Why would giving a note to Mr. Scruffy have any bearing on what the judgement of the extra-planer being of pure Law and Good?

Sure, if Lord Shojo were the judge, it might alter the outcome. But I don't think the EPBpPL&G listens to cats.

Cats are Chaotic.

My Cats aren't Chaotic. Everything is according to their master plan. They are LE.

Of course that still mean the EPBpPL&G won't listen to them.

ravenkith
2006-02-17, 10:48 AM
Nice comic. Bit of a comedown from the last couple though.

I do have to admit, it's pretty astounding how many little character moments Rich crammed into this comic.

Kudos to the Giant.

I love the voteing thing, in particular, and have a funny feeling it'll come back to haunt the OOTS.

The AI comment is a clear bash at how pervasive that ridiculousness has become.

Given the way Rich has written in the past, and the best tactics of the craft, I predict that monday will be a Miko/Belkar Strip, Then Wednesday will reunite the two threads, then Friday we'll get the verdict.

SPOILER:
Just in time for a Cliffhanger over the sentencing, which will probably be in the hands of Lord Shojo, or more accurately his cat who has a note from Elan in his clutches...
Hope that's not too spoilerific for anyone.

GeekLordAragorn12
2006-02-17, 10:55 AM
Nice comic...except for one thing. You didn't make me laugh, you made me feel sad. I think I'd be heartbroken if Elan died...so therefore, he can't die. It's not possible!

Aiani
2006-02-17, 10:58 AM
Giant you are so cruel but Elan is adorable as ever. Honestly I just want to hug him.

BlackandGold
2006-02-17, 11:00 AM
Nice one! And I really liked the vote thingy... But for me not-so-american: What is American Idol?

Why do you keep referring to Morning? The strip came up something like 13:00... Oh, maybe its my GMT + 1 time zone *g*

Sylian
2006-02-17, 11:04 AM
What is American Idol?

The American version of Idol, a program witch makes people sing and the jury are very mean.

skaven13
2006-02-17, 11:05 AM
That's funny...I'm part of the democratic process....

And besides, we all know that the cat is the power behind the throne. Elan must of been reading the forums too, and just handed it the to the true ruler....

Or Banjo told him...either one works for me.

Pesi
2006-02-17, 11:10 AM
Cliffhanger!
Sucks to be us right now, but we'll manage.

And Roy mentions American Idol (Keyword: American).
Yet.., "I don't know of this Japan you speak of..."
hmm?

Deuce
2006-02-17, 11:15 AM
. . .

And Roy mentions American Idol (Keyword: American).
Yet.., "I don't know of this Japan you speak of..."
hmm?

Some things are so annoying that they become multiversal.

NovaNightmare
2006-02-17, 11:17 AM
Weekend clif hanger!!! heray!!!!!
Great look of disaproval on Haley.

Made my Friday better!

Thank you!

Pvednes
2006-02-17, 11:20 AM
Nooo... :(

theKOT
2006-02-17, 11:28 AM
Now we know exactly what the Giant is! A BPCE! How dare he make me wait about THREE days to find out what happens... And then it will probably be a Mikar strip! Curse you! Curse you I say!

Ahem

Loved the strip. Elan being Elan is always a shoe-in for a good joke. I still think that the BPLG is Fighter. He has the same word-cloud color! Comon, it's possible!

Freeman333
2006-02-17, 11:33 AM
Yay kitty!

So. Yeah. Roy knowing what American Idol is? No problem. Roy knowing what America is?

Now my head hurts.

Sebastian
2006-02-17, 11:33 AM
That's funny...I'm part of the democratic process....

And besides, we all know that the cat is the power behind the throne. Elan must of been reading the forums too, and just handed it the to the true ruler....

Or Banjo told him...either one works for me.

Actually Roy told him
"write your vote down on a piece of paper which you should give then to the white cat""

I don't know how much serious he was, though

But I liked the surprised expression of mr. Scruffy :D

jonesy
2006-02-17, 11:39 AM
Where's the 800 number to call in my vote?

WNxArrakis
2006-02-17, 11:40 AM
like all vorlons and shadows the Giant seeks to mess around with the little people..

nice strip though :D

Arrakis

Electric_Monkey
2006-02-17, 11:47 AM
If Elan voted for Jones, would that count as a confession? It's a good thing for the OOTS that Rodriguez wasn't doing the prosecution, because he seems to be on the same wavelength as Elan.

Moraine_Sedai
2006-02-17, 11:49 AM
BWAAAHAAHAAhaaahaaaaa!

Weekend cliffhanger!

I love it! ;D

I hate it.

But I love it! :P

And you have to wonder what Elan voted. Knowing him, he voted for the prosecution. ::)

Great strip, Giant. :D As usual.... 8)

Winged One
2006-02-17, 11:50 AM
As one of my DMs once said:

wombat
;D

brummeren
2006-02-17, 11:51 AM
I hate them too

mckaskle
2006-02-17, 12:05 PM
What's the big deal with Roy knowing about America? He knew about Japan, even if Miko didn't.

Dark_Stalion
2006-02-17, 12:14 PM
Nice comic...except for one thing. You didn't make me laugh, you made me feel sad. I think I'd be heartbroken if Elan died...so therefore, he can't die. It's not possible!

Nah, Elan can't die. None of them can. It's like a hollywood film. Main characters who have survived tis far can't die untill the end or at least near it.

Randomnesh
2006-02-17, 12:17 PM
Great comic. Started my day laughing. Now I'm going to be giggling all through it. ;D

Wren
2006-02-17, 12:36 PM
American Idol is kinda funny during the reject stage, when they're going around the country looking for some glimmer of talent.

Tacho
2006-02-17, 12:40 PM
Cliffhanger...dun dun dun...wait, i am repeating something someone said...guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, i meant....guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, i meant...guit- wahtever, damn you blinded goodness!!!!

metawidget
2006-02-17, 12:55 PM
sweet comic i loved it. and how did the Oots know about American Idol. if there is no america and no show on? oh well.
There's no fourth wall, either.

Roy is being exceptionally sweet in a tense kind of way.

I am completely up for a strong finish to the trial next week (or not)

kradman
2006-02-17, 12:57 PM
i agree.. this is just horrible.. now i have to wait until monday, maybe even tuesday to find out.. oh wait, im not going to have my computer at all.. GRRRR>.. oke doke.. make it good until march 1st please, so when i do get my box.. I will love it.

Albion
2006-02-17, 12:58 PM
Let's see, does a spoiler tag make the text "invisible" just like that, or?

Aren't there a few unmasked spoiler predictions going on in this thread?

Holy geez, this one was fantastic. More fatherly Roy! The look from Haley, which Roy understands! Et cetera!

The Glyphstone
2006-02-17, 12:59 PM
Giant, you are cruel.

Awesome comic...only 60 hours, 3 minutes, 28 seconds until Monday starts and the nailbiting begins...

Lord Herman
2006-02-17, 01:04 PM
Awesometastic!

Cliffhangers wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the part where you have to wait for the next comic...

Sylvius
2006-02-17, 01:25 PM
First of all, I love wombats. They're cute when they dig.

This, for me, was the best comic since Roy had to explain to Belkar that there were no giants.

tlelaxue
2006-02-17, 01:26 PM
OMG, He broke the foruth wall! Now all of the oots and the saphire guard are going to be obliterated when the unvierse implodes...

Starbuck_II
2006-02-17, 01:28 PM
Now we know exactly what the Giant is! A BPCE! How dare he make me wait about THREE days to find out what happens... And then it will probably be a Mikar strip! Curse you! Curse you I say!

Mikar? That isn't a Ben and Jennnifer reference: Bennifer (when they talk of Ben Afleck and Jennifer Annison)?

But I'm undecided who to vote for:
A Mikar comic next or a Elan comic (the OotS comic).

Elan vote for Celia!
American Idol isn't bad. You have one sarcastic dude, one very nice girl, and a meduim nice guy telling you how you did.

aaronbourque
2006-02-17, 01:35 PM
American Idol isn't bad. You have one sarcastic dude, one very nice girl, and a meduim nice guy telling you how you did.
Or, you have one guy without tact but with (rather fluid) principles, one flakey woman, and one flakey man telling you how they think you did, and making proclaimations about whether you'll win.

Rock Star was better.

Melnor
2006-02-17, 01:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Ah Giant, I love your style of humor!
I love how you just randomly choose to break the fourth wall and have the characters talk like they know that they're in a comic strip. Of course, I have to secretly hate you now because of the evil weekend cliff hanger of doom. ;)

garylian
2006-02-17, 01:42 PM
Great comic, Giant! Though it should have had a "dum Dum DUM" at the end. That big kettle drum sound to make it just that much more comical! hehe

This should be good. Of course, if the Monday comic shows up Tuesday afternoon, we will all be screaming at Elan.

That, or... Nah, not worth bothering with that stupid spoiler stuff. Never understood how it was a spoiler if it didn't come from the Giant. It's all crap speculation. hehe

Melnor
2006-02-17, 01:46 PM
Ugh! A weekend clifhanger?! Giant, you Sir are Evil. Evil evil evil evil.

At least he's Lawful Evil ;)

Freeman333
2006-02-17, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot Roy knew about Japan. So I guess that's cool. Just one of those moments when player knowledge bleeds into the game world (which I am both highly critical of and often guilty of, myself...).

silvadel
2006-02-17, 01:58 PM
I agree on the evil thing -- such cliffhangers are painful and unnecessary.

Kish
2006-02-17, 02:01 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot Roy knew about Japan. So I guess that's cool. Just one of those moments when player knowledge bleeds into the game world (which I am both highly critical of and often guilty of, myself...).

It puzzles me when people act surprised at the characters in OotS breaking the fourth wall.

Istielthia
2006-02-17, 02:08 PM
Mikar? That isn't a Ben and Jennnifer reference: Bennifer (when they talk of Ben Afleck and Jennifer Annison)?
[/so way completely off topic]
At the risk of making myself seem more interested in the lives of celebrities than I actually am, Bennifer (the 1st) refers to Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez, and Bennifer (the 2nd) refers to Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, who are now married. Jennifer Aniston was never involved with Ben Affleck (as far as I know) and was recently divorced from Brad Pitt, who is now involved in the "Brangelina" affair, starring himself and Angelina Jolie, of course.
[so way off topic]

I am a sad, sad person.

Aevii
2006-02-17, 02:09 PM
What's the big deal with Roy knowing about America? He knew about Japan, even if Miko didn't.
Right. It's the difference between being a PC and an NPC.

Vernal
2006-02-17, 02:30 PM
Now that I've had time to think (a dangerous proposition), I wonder how much of the humor might be lost when this portion of the comic is printed, bound, and sold in dead tree format...

THe cliffhanger no longer becomes a painful 72 hours, but rather a moment for a page turning...

OR is Rich planning on breaking the book at that point and placing the outcome at the start of the next volume?

Hmmmm.

Landon_Fox
2006-02-17, 02:32 PM
Mr. Giant. You are an evil, evil man. ;D

LE4dGOLEM
2006-02-17, 02:34 PM
Single Figure page post woo!

[on topic]

Who said that Elan had the move silently score to beat the Venerable Lord Shojo? he clearly spoke! "Here you go" and when was the last time Shojo ignored an announcement by Mr. Scruffy?

[/flammability]

AH, stick figures. Is there any better way to convey emotion so clearly, yet still allow readers to think what they like without confusing the actual intention?
[/varsuviusness]

Okay, I'm going to stop now, before i get myself into even more trouble
[/post]

Namfoodle2
2006-02-17, 02:40 PM
Good Point Aevii. That's why Belkar rules - he's a PC man! Miko is just the NPC custum built by the DM to make life hard for the OOTS (Seriously, two weapon fighting monk/paladin? Ouch). It kills me how much some of the OOTS remind me of friends I game with.

We have a clueless bard in our party at this very moment. We love the guy, but sometimes it seems like he makes a science out of being ineffective.

And I also knew a guy who was basically Belkar in both real life and in every game/system he played. Thankfully, he never carried daggers in real life.

The weekend cliffhanger is hardly a surprise. I wouldn't be shocked by a cut to the Belkar-iko ;) Battle, or even Xykon and some Hobgoblins.

But have you all fogotten the Linear Guild?

They have Roy's Sister! Whatever shall become of her? When and How will Roy find out?

Sanctu
2006-02-17, 02:48 PM
Not sure i fthis was mentioned, but if you look very closely, Mr. Scruffy has the classic OOTS questioning expression, one eyebrow raised, look.

Bakta
2006-02-17, 02:49 PM
Two questions :

1) Where do WE vote?, I don't have a cat nearby

And

2) While I have no doubt Mr SCruffy can read elder sumerian, will he be able to read Elan's ballot??.

THank you for your help :P

RDarken
2006-02-17, 02:51 PM
New comic is up.

Now I hate you. Not only because you left us hanging, but because now I do not know whether I want to see the conclusion to THIS plotline or the Belkar / Miko one. Damn!

sun_tzu
2006-02-17, 02:55 PM
Is it just me, or does Roy seem to be making his peace with this world? Telling Celia she did a great job no matter what happens, allowing Elan to do something foolish without complaint. Roy seems to be preparing for a guilty verdict.

You know, I think you might be on to something...

WeaponMasterLDO
2006-02-17, 03:07 PM
Giant, if you sprain your wrist, I will cut my head off.

theKOT
2006-02-17, 03:26 PM
Giant, if you sprain your wrist, I will cut my head off.

Golly, that might actually make me cry... the wrist, not your head. Who cares about lil ol' not the author of OOTS you ;)

Seriously, Someone had better put the Giant in a body cast when he isn't working on the strip. Hundreds of suicides just at the crack of a wrist!

Swashbuckler
2006-02-17, 03:26 PM
ARRRRRRRGH! Weekend cliffhanger!!

I say again, ARRRRRRRGH! :P

Lord_of_Dust
2006-02-17, 03:31 PM
great cliffhanger

TheJet31619
2006-02-17, 03:57 PM
Not a WEEKEND CLIFFHANGER! Anything but that! And I thought travelling in the abyss was bad.

Sundog
2006-02-17, 04:17 PM
hehehe i think mr Scruffy is cool

Of course Mr Scruffy is cool. All cats are cool (just some are cooler than others.)

Great strip. Maybe this will encourage Haley to be a little more open to Elan...

humanpylon
2006-02-17, 04:51 PM
Have to say Elan handing the note to mr scruffy is one of the cutest things I've seen in the strip. Even cuter than the flumphs!

Fale
2006-02-17, 05:31 PM
I have a funny feeling that Monday's comic will cut back to Belkar & Miko just to annoy us further.

Weiser_Cain
2006-02-17, 05:46 PM
Ten xp says rich gets sick.

Eriol
2006-02-17, 05:51 PM
Ten xp says rich gets sick.
I had the same unpleasant thought. There's gonna be a revolt on here if we don't get the Monday comic early.

;)

SumGuy
2006-02-17, 05:52 PM
A weekend Cliffhanger?! As if we needed an incentive to press the F5 button repeatedly on Monday!

Seriously though, I think that the way Roy treats Elan in this strip is nearly as sad as Durkon and Hilgya breaking up. Its not so much that I think Roy's in the wrong...its just the situation.

GeekDaddy
2006-02-17, 05:52 PM
I also love it how Haley has resigned herself that she can't communicate by talking and so resorted to non-verbal way of conveying her message to Roy. And, boy, does her look ever speak volumes? Pretty amazing job, considering she is just a stick figure.

That's actually a class feature unique to the females of all PC races (including savage species) called The Look.

Improved Look is available to females upon the completeion of whatever matrimonial or cohabitational ceremony is appropriate to their respective race.

Then, of course, there's Epic Look. This is only available to those females who have also taken the Maternity Feat

All Look Feats are freely awarded and require no special training. Look feats are a potent combination of the effects of Fear, Suggestion, Silence, Hold Person/Monster and Command. The Look affects the designated target and a number of surrounding people equal to the female's charisma modifier. Improved look doubles the charisma modifier and Epic Look can take out the whole damn room.

Victims of The Look are not restricted by age, race, sex, alignment or relation. Victims must make a Will check (DC 30) for 1/2 effect. Effects last as long as the female is performing The Look.

The effects of The Look will stack with effects of The Eyebrow, The Foot Tap, The Arm Cross, The Half-Frown and (God help you) The Guilt Trip feats. All of these feats combined have been known to act as the spell Baleful Polymorph: Bowl of Jello.

grim_chook
2006-02-17, 05:53 PM
Ugh, why'd have to be a cliff-hanger? I don't usually get annoyed at Elan but I had a hearty big shut up for him in this strip.

Eriol
2006-02-17, 06:17 PM
That's actually a class feature unique to the females of all PC races (including savage species) called The Look.

Improved Look is available to females upon the completeion of whatever matrimonial or cohabitational ceremony is appropriate to their respective race.

Then, of course, there's Epic Look. This is only available to those females who have also taken the Maternity Feat

All Look Feats are freely awarded and require no special training. Look feats are a potent combination of the effects of Fear, Suggestion, Silence, Hold Person/Monster and Command. The Look affects the designated target and a number of surrounding people equal to the female's charisma modifier. Improved look doubles the charisma modifier and Epic Look can take out the whole damn room.

Victims of The Look are not restricted by age, race, sex, alignment or relation. Victims must make a Will check (DC 30) for 1/2 effect. Effects last as long as the female is performing The Look.

The effects of The Look will stack with effects of The Eyebrow, The Foot Tap, The Arm Cross, The Half-Frown and (God help you) The Guilt Trip feats. All of these feats combined have been known to act as the spell Baleful Polymorph: Bowl of Jello.
lol

Remember, the only immunity is blindness, so make sure you have that handy, especially if you also run the danger of having Streaking Bards around, and are a halfling, as it's worse at that height.

;)

Elven_magister
2006-02-17, 06:19 PM
You know those weights never drop until the Giant leaves and the Coyote goes to figure out why the weight refused to drop.
Huzzah for the defective Acme(sp?) company!

Jawsh
2006-02-17, 06:51 PM
Dear Giant,

Here is my vote. Please make sure it gets to Mr Scruffy.

I vote: Mr Jones

Deuce
2006-02-17, 06:52 PM

LOL! That's funny, I don't care who you are.

And being married, and a father, I can totally back you on the effect of the Epic Look. Is there a further modifier if the female using the look is known to be hot-tempered?

Vernal
2006-02-17, 06:54 PM
lol

Remember, the only immunity is blindness..

;)

Actually you can take the Feat Cold-Hearted-Bastard for complete imunity from the Look. However I think that comes with a permenent CHA penalty of -10 or so...

;D

Alfryd
2006-02-17, 07:15 PM
The Mighty Being Of Pure Law and Good is challenging Miko for the most annoying character of the comic, as far as I'm concerned.
For heaven's sake, he's had *two lines.* You sir, have a serious problem with overreaction.

What is American Idol?
In spirit, Reality TV without the pretension of being 'unscripted.'

I am a sad, sad person.
I limit myself to obsessing over Jolie, the holy embodiment of Sex incarnate, praise be to the sacred Avatar.
*(What?)*

[Knowing about Japan is] the difference between being a PC and an NPC.
Ah, but Roy replied 'good point,' indicating that he recognised a correction by Miko, indicating that she, too, is aware of this cultural reference, but simply eschews it. I am not reading too far into this.

But can be counteracted by Obliviousness, Misinterpretation, Busywork, Useless Industry, Argumentative Conditioning, Tactical Diversion, Spontaneous Excuse and Spontaneous Extemporising Excuse, Sacrificial Concession and Lesser Sacrificial Concession. You have to examine the build *carefully*.
http://www.thingsmygirlfriendandihavearguedabout.com/

Evik
2006-02-17, 07:31 PM
weekend cliffhangers :(

Alsier
2006-02-17, 07:57 PM
:P hehehe i think mr Scruffy is cool.

maybe Elan's got enough Hide and move silently that Lord shojo hasnt seen him? ;)

No, he's wearing too much clothing to hide well.

redmind0
2006-02-17, 08:00 PM
I predict

guilty

Edna
2006-02-17, 08:16 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!

I really hope Rich is not taking a three-day weekend like many Americans...

Edna

The Lady Auneredra
2006-02-17, 08:17 PM
Y'know, when you think about it, Elan should be able to recognize that Hayley gots da hots for him. I mean, he's a bard. Bardy people know all about luhve and sayduction. For instance, read comic 52 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=52) or comic 160 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=160). He may be...uh..."unintellectually stimulated"...but he can still see the sparks, if you will, and further more, can comprehend it. At least, not in Hayley's case.
I admit, though, I love it when Hayley scrambles to hide her affections (SNEAK ATTACK BOOT TO THE FACE!) from her dearly beloved Elan. It'll be fun to see when her feelings come out into the open. Uh, wait. Rephrase: It'll be fun to see when her feelings become apparent to Elan. :-*

The Lady Auneredra
2006-02-17, 08:30 PM
NOOOOOOO!!!

I really hope Rich is not taking a three-day weekend like many Americans...

Edna
Woah-ho-ho! Didn't even think about that! Damn. Er, darn.
('syeah, we got ourselves an American right here).

Bilbo27
2006-02-17, 10:19 PM
Elan + cat + democratic process = Priceless.

By the way--you all know we will see Belkar and Miko on Monday.

Curse you Giant

Great strip though

YEAH --Page 9!!!!!!

Jaime
2006-02-17, 10:21 PM
If Rich was taking a long weekend, he would probably warn us.

OR WOULD HE?!

theKOT
2006-02-17, 10:52 PM

OR WOULD HE?!
One things for sure: his eerie silence on the issue is a way of making us even more anxious. Curse you, master of anticipation! Curse you I say!

captheather
2006-02-17, 11:06 PM
Nah, Elan can't die. None of them can. It's like a hollywood film. Main characters who have survived tis far can't die untill the end or at least near it.

My friends and I refer to this as the "Ring of Main Character Protection". I'm continually haranging my DMs to let my characters have one, but they keep refusing me for some reason... ;)

Editted to add that there must be a category for Improved Epic Look - I can tell if my mom is giving me the look over the phone. I plan to train under her to gain the feat myself now that I have a little one. Right now, apparently I need more training since she just laughs at the look. It does work on my husband though... ;)

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-02-17, 11:12 PM

OR WOULD HE?!

Why does the bard in me think this comment requires a:

dun, dun, DUN!!!

Gralamin
2006-02-17, 11:23 PM
why are americans taking monday off?

here in alberta it is Family day a provincial holiday so we have that.

Jack Squat
2006-02-17, 11:32 PM
Us Yanks are taking it off for President's day. I've tried getting other holidays included in the school year (Teacher Appreciation Week mostly, it's not really appreciating them if they still have to deal with teenagers, now is it ;D)

Gleanerizer
2006-02-17, 11:37 PM
Can't get the verdict to this all-important trial without a good cliffhanger, I say. I will wait patiently.

The third-to-last panel made the strip for me. What are the four clerics/court staff/diviners/robed folk in the lower left panel doing? Are they:

-Whistling?
-Chanting "Oooooooooo..."?
-Siliently puckering their lips, hoping for a smooch from the object of their adoration?
-Earnestly blowing on the divine jury, helping accelerate the blaze on its blade of justice during this crucial moment?

I'd say one of each. 8)

Bllkdragongirl
2006-02-18, 01:36 AM
Hewwo!
This is my first post on the forum. Couldn't find a topic for the new ppl so...here i am. :)

Firstly i'd like to say ty for the cliffhanger...although it's frustrating to wonder the fate of our heros it also makes me that much mor eager for monday. Monday's aren't usually good things so i'm glad for OOTS to make it a little better.

I found OOTS through a friend and read 1-254 in one night....it was addictive. I am hoping to order the books soon....gotta talk my husband into it first.

I'll shut up now. If theres a topic for forum newbies plz direct me to it so my ramblings aren't misplaced ;D

iltharanos
2006-02-18, 02:41 AM
Hewwo!

Hello!

Oh, and, uh, to stay on topic, a Monday comic would be good, but I can wait if it's not there.

Tyni_Tim
2006-02-18, 07:40 AM
Dude, the big-sparkly-dude-god-thing is going to say 'guilty' and The Order of the Stick will have to fight all of them muahahahahahah!!!

But of course, that's a prediction! ;D

Albion
2006-02-18, 09:18 AM
The third-to-last panel made the strip for me. What are the four clerics/court staff/diviners/robed folk in the lower left panel doing? Are they:

-Whistling?
-Siliently puckering their lips, hoping for a smooch from the object of their adoration?
-Earnestly blowing on the divine jury, helping accelerate the blaze on its blade of justice during this crucial moment?

I'd say one of each. 8)

That was a lovable detail! I think they're chanting, in a quiet and respecting way... omg it would be silly if they were whistling. Well, looking at the other options, nevermind. ;)

Elurindel
2006-02-18, 09:32 AM
All I can say for this one is:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Cursed cliff hanger! Now we all have to wait and see what happens. It's just too much! And knowing the giant, he'll probably switch back to the linear guild or xykon now!

Shatteredtower
2006-02-18, 10:41 AM

And you know the Giant has horrible luck with heavy objects. I'd say they cancel out, leaving us to hope that nothing prevents the resolution of this cliffhanger.

here in alberta it is Family day a provincial holiday so we have that.

Some of you do. I don't. ;)

ElfLad
2006-02-18, 11:10 AM
I don't think that we're gonna cut away on Monday. The strip itself seemed to imply that the resolution will be on Monday, so that's probably gonna happen.

And, if anything, the three-day weekend will give Rich more free time to work on the comic. Almost nobody except for students take the day off.

Alfryd
2006-02-18, 11:51 AM
-Whistling?

I'd say one of each.
Your logic is both flawless and compelling. I am looking forward to the final verdict in any case, so that we may return to the important business of inflicting grievous bodily harm on those who obstruct the cause of righteousness. When will people realise that violence is the answer.
However, I would not put it beyond Rich to have some manner of interruption in store, in order to draw our already frazzled nerves into a state of white-hot screaming agony.
We love you too, sir. :)

GypsyThorn
2006-02-18, 12:39 PM
Neat strip.

Most BBS have a voting feature. Can we get that set up before Monday for a quick American Idol type call-in for Guilty/Not Guilty?

In any case, I don't think a verdict of Not Gilcup is in the works....

Thanks for the last week, Giant. It's been fun.

Wren
2006-02-18, 04:00 PM
I hope the one on monday is about Belkar and Miko, I can wait a bit longer on the verdict.

Landon_Fox
2006-02-18, 10:20 PM
unintellectually stimulated

I think it would be better to say that Elan is "intellectually simulating".

Hawkeye
2006-02-18, 10:35 PM
absolutely classic strip.

The one line that really made it is Roy saying "Don't give me that look, you're the one who started the whole "lets not tell Elan uncomfortable truths," thing"

Krytha
2006-02-19, 12:29 AM
If there were a gambling ring on OotS, my bet slip would say "Elan votes against and overturns the LG entity's verdict of not guilty. Roy murders Elan subsequently."

GRAAAHH MONDAY IS SO FAR AWAY!!!

Merc_Kilsek
2006-02-19, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the monday strip changed back to our fav little halfling friend. ;D Leaving us to wait just a little longer. ;D

Quarks
2006-02-19, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the monday strip changed back to our fav little halfling friend. ;D Leaving us to wait just a little longer. ;D

no go back to the gobblins, he could keep us waiting for the verdict for weeks!

armatil
2006-02-19, 07:39 AM
no go back to the gobblins, he could keep us waiting for the verdict for weeks!
not to mention the linear guild... it could take ages! :o

LE4dGOLEM
2006-02-19, 10:31 AM
I want some XYkon strips anyways -- we havent seen them in.... ages!

Duskrider_Moogle
2006-02-19, 01:34 PM
not to mention the linear guild... it could take ages! :o

He could switch back to the flumphs, it'll be eons!

luilupino
2006-02-19, 02:23 PM
Of course Roy knows what American Idol is, after all he has an MBA

Corestimah
2006-02-19, 02:54 PM
To revise my first comment,
I look forward to panning back to Belkar and Miko, despite the lack of a verdict in the interim.

Sylian
2006-02-19, 04:22 PM
Actually, they are guilty.
Though the punishment shouldn't be harsh, Elan did destroy the gate.

Edit, and besides, a being of pure good shouldn't kill them, he should try to redeem them. We'll see at monday, I hope.

Devils_Advocate
2006-02-19, 05:18 PM
It depends on what definition of "guilty" you're using. In the legal sense, its meaning is more like "should be punished" than "committed the alleged deed" (as in "not guilty by reason of insanity"). I think.

In any case, the term has a few sublty different meanings, as seen in Belkar's discussion with a guard in On the Origin of PCs.

Jothki
2006-02-19, 11:29 PM
Bear in mind that this is a classic railroad plot. It is completely obvious what is going to happen.

Or at least, what we expect is going to happen.

Hyrael
2006-02-19, 11:49 PM
What, you thought this was a coincidence? ;)

I love Elan's fluctuation. He doesn't know his left foot from his right
But, like walter plinge, he knows his Right from his Wrong. sort of.

Winged One
2006-02-20, 12:10 AM
But, like walter plinge, he knows his Right from his Wrong. sort of.

Nice reference. Same character class, too(well, if Walter were to be translated to D&D, that is). ;)

Steward
2006-02-20, 02:07 AM
Nice reference. Same character class, too(well, if Walter were to be translated to D&D, that is). ;)

Hey, I never noticed that!

Dugray
2006-02-20, 02:21 AM
Yay it's monday. Don't have to wait much longer for the verdict!

Gralamin
2006-02-20, 02:22 AM
I expect to see it after my D&D session

LE4dGOLEM
2006-02-20, 07:50 AM
ARg! Beaten to it by a whole... two posts ><