PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder base value for magic weapons

Ourian7491
2020-08-25, 10:11 PM
so I have given my players a starting wealth of 6000 gold.

One of my players wants to start with an Adamantine +1 Frost Halberd and we are conflicted on the starting price. He is under the impression that since it is only a +1 weapon with a Frost property, that it costs 5000 + Base price of halberd. I was always taught that it was the total of all possible bonuses. So in this case, it would be values as a +2 weapon which is 8k, then add the 3k for Adamantine and base weapon price.

So is it 5k+base? or 11k+base?

I'm a new DM and just want to make sure I'm not cheating my players.

tyckspoon
2020-08-25, 10:16 PM
it would be values as a +2 weapon which is 8k, then add the 3k for Adamantine and base weapon price.

This is correct. Magical properties have an enhancement equivalency value; you add up those plus whatever the actual base enhancement value on the weapon is, then look up that total on the magic weapon pricing charts to find out how much the total weapon is. Seems like your player may have managed to gloss over the bit where it specifies that bonus properties still count toward cost, just not toward +to hit/damage.

Ourian7491
2020-08-25, 10:18 PM
This is correct. Magical properties have an enhancement equivalency value; you add up those plus whatever the actual base enhancement value on the weapon is, then look up that total on the magic weapon pricing charts to find out how much the total weapon is. Seems like your player may have managed to gloss over the bit where it specifies that bonus properties still count toward cost, just not toward +to hit/damage.

Thank you for the quick response.