View Full Version : DM Help Keeping tab on adventurers as a dragon

HoboKnight
2020-08-26, 02:10 AM
Hey, guys,

in a campaign, I'm setting up, PCs will be pressed into service of (rather evil an di**-ish) adult black dragon. As PCs will be sent to do certain tasks, dragon will want to know, what they are doing and make sure, they do not go on their own merry way.
One way to keep PCs in line is to attach to them a loyal dragon's minion. Other option is dragon having a few casters to cast Scrying (but this lasts 10 min max). So... What is a good way to keep tabs on PCs, if this dragon is in question?

A few notes:
- the idea is for dragon to try to contain the PCs and PCs freeing themselves and fleeing eventually
- these methods need to make sense and can be very effective, but this is not an idea of a DM railroading. If PCs break "my contraptions", all the better

thanks

Kane0
2020-08-26, 02:43 AM
What resources and personnel does the dragon have access to?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-26, 02:51 AM
Some form of crystal ball/scrying presumably?

HoboKnight
2020-08-26, 04:08 AM
What resources and personnel does the dragon have access to?
- Tribe of kobolds
- Tribe of lizardfolk
- Two fomorians
- Several low level sorcerers (spells up to lvl 3)

... aaand anything you want to come up with

Zhorn
2020-08-26, 04:12 AM
And people wonder why I have Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum cast over our party's ship constantly...

Amnestic
2020-08-26, 04:40 AM
It's a monster, it doesn't need to be bound by standard rules or items.

If this dragon has a wide reach and likes monitoring his subordinates/pawns, I'd probably go with a scrying pool in his lair that's tied to cursed items (bracelets, collars, anklets, whatever strikes your fancy). Curse doesn't do anything except let the dragon (from their lair, specifically) spy on them at will. Perhaps all of the important subordinates/pawns wear them.

With the thought that the dragon could always be watching but not necessarily is always watching it creates the tension of when it's safe to discuss solutions, maybe has them look into more inventive solutions than just chatting about it openly. And the weight of being forced to look at your character sheet and seeing 'Cursed Collar' is probably quite the incentive to get creative.

Glorthindel
2020-08-26, 04:42 AM
I ran a short adventure where the psionic villains had the party under constant surveillance (it was a horror themed adventure which was intended to invoke paranoia and a feeling of powerlessness). One important thing is to ensure the players know you are playing fair in such a situation, and not just conveniently pulling things out of your ass to explain how the villain seems to know everything they do (as it can easily seem like the DM abusing his position). This will depend heavily on the level of trust between yourself and your players, but if your players are the sort to distrust your actions, you can do something like write down all the villains tricks and plays (exactly what was a polymorphed minion (a real sly **** move if you have a cute pet collector in the party), which npc's are under gease or charm to reveal the parties actions, which rooms were under constant scrying effects, and what times the villains designated scryers were actively watching the party), and keep it in a sealed envelope, and have a player witness you seal the envelope (preferably some sessions before you introduce the plot so they don't know what you are keeping from them).

Cheesegear
2020-08-26, 04:46 AM
Creatures that can turn invisible at-will, and maintain Invisibility indefinitely:

Demon; Quasit
Devil; Imps
Duergar
Faerie Dragons
Green Hags
Invisible Stalkers
Pixie
Poltergeist
Sprite
Will-o'-Wisps

The creature also has a Sending Stone (embedded in a bracelet or amulet, as appropriate), or a wrought-copper ring or bracelet which acts as a focus to cast Sending 1/day or 1/rest. When it's safe to do so, it might wander off to send its 25-word message for the day/rest. A particularly savvy party might have several chances and opportunities to 'catch' the spy. But if they don't, that's fine too.

Me personally, I'm a fan of Black Dragons enslaving minions to do its dirty work for it (e.g; Duergar and Green Hags).

Unoriginal
2020-08-26, 07:12 AM
The Theros book has dragons who are seers, maybe it'd be interesting to explore that?

NorthernPhoenix
2020-08-26, 08:36 AM
I'd probably just let the Dragon cast "Dragon Scrying", which is like Scrying but without the limitations you don't want. Should still be possible to detect though.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-26, 11:53 AM
Convince one of the players (in secret) to play a traitor. Better yet, convince all of them separately to play a traitor.

TigerT20
2020-08-26, 12:04 PM
Well, if your dragon is powerful enough to have not one but two artifacts, they could force a player to attune to an Orb of Dragonkind (probably not telling them what it actually is) and use the other to spy on them, ordering not to mess with the orb on pain of pain.

Pro: The dragon forces them to use up an attunement slot and rubs it in their faces with the fact that they can't use it.

Con: If they're powerful enough to own and keep two copies of the artifact no dragon wants to see in the wrong hands (ie, any hands but theirs) and have such a reputation they can entrust it upon minions without fear, why do they need advernturers to do their dirty work when surely the kings and queens of the world should be kneeling at their feet?

Edit: Scrap this, you could just homebrew a magic item that has just the 'people with this can spy on everyone else who has one', like the things Sauron dishes out to his followers (Saruman). If you feel evil make it one-way only.

Unoriginal
2020-08-26, 01:16 PM
Well, if your dragon is powerful enough to have not one but two artifacts, they could force a player to attune to an Orb of Dragonkind (probably not telling them what it actually is) and use the other to spy on them, ordering not to mess with the orb on pain of pain.

Pro: The dragon forces them to use up an attunement slot and rubs it in their faces with the fact that they can't use it.

Con: If they're powerful enough to own and keep two copies of the artifact no dragon wants to see in the wrong hands (ie, any hands but theirs) and have such a reputation they can entrust it upon minions without fear, why do they need advernturers to do their dirty work when surely the kings and queens of the world should be kneeling at their feet?

Edit: Scrap this, you could just homebrew a magic item that has just the 'people with this can spy on everyone else who has one', like the things Sauron dishes out to his followers (Saruman). If you feel evil make it one-way only.

Maybe the first bad guy the PCs fight has been trying to create bootleg versions of the Orb of Dragonkind, and the dragon in question notices the PCs when they approach one of the attempts?

Sigreid
2020-08-26, 02:18 PM
You may be over thinking it. Hostages is a trident and true method of control.

Corran
2020-08-26, 02:30 PM
Convince one of the players (in secret) to play a traitor. Better yet, convince all of them separately to play a traitor.
+1. This way, the decision is entirely in their hands. Just make it a hard one by having the dragon holding a big chip over (some of/ one of) them. I'd have the players know but not the characters, but I guess that depends on the table.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-08-27, 03:02 PM
I like the suggestion of just giving your dragon the ability. Call it Minion Minder, maybe.

Dragon attunes to the unfortunate delegate. After attuning, the dragon can see what the delegate sees and can speak to the delegate. The delegate can reply, but suffers greatly as long as the "conversation" continues. And it only works when the delegate is awake. It's a black dragon, so it's gotta hurt. A lot.

I'm imagining game affects as limited to some kind of interference with concentration. Perhaps a CON save, fail would end any concentration. I cant see this causing HP loss.

Tawmis
2020-08-28, 12:23 AM
Well, I think the important thing to consider...

WHY does it need to be identified as to how the Dragon is tracking them?

Unless the players have some sort of interaction (with whatever is tracking them), whenever the players show up again to the Dragon, and the Dragon boasts about having watched them and mildly amused by their performance... the players will know the Dragon has been watching their every move.

If you want the players to know they're being tailed/observed, such as having someone follow them - then you run the risk of PCs attacking them.

One thing you could do, is have the Black Dragon itself follow the PCs. Every time they enter a town, they feel uncomfortable as if someone's watching them. An NPC with some unique appearance (black dragon, maybe black pupils) seems to watch them. When PCs approach, it quickly goes around the corner and vanishes.

This will create that feeling that they are indeed being watched...

Spiritchaser
2020-08-28, 01:22 AM

+2

I really like this!

The dragon should have plenty of capacity to lean hard on things the players hold dear...

And if they care for nothing but themselves? well... that sort might difficult to rely on, but at least they are likely to be the easiest to turn...

Unoriginal
2020-08-28, 02:10 AM
Alternatively, the Dragon can't do it but bluffs about it, to make the PCs limit their own actions themselves.

Sigreid
2020-08-28, 07:25 AM
Wouldn't be a stretch for the dragon to have people in every village for 100 miles that will report to it in exchange for not melting their village and family.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-08-28, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't be a stretch for the dragon to have people in every village for 100 miles that will report to it in exchange for not melting their village and family.

This definitely works staying inside RAW. My question is, who collects the intelligence, and how is it the dragon trusts them not to be extorting the villagers? "Nice village you've got here. It's be a shame if the dragon were to hear about an anti-dragon faction active here..."

With that answered, your suggestion is excellent.

Sigreid
2020-08-28, 08:15 AM
This definitely works staying inside RAW. My question is, who collects the intelligence, and how is it the dragon trusts them not to be extorting the villagers? "Nice village you've got here. It's be a shame if the dragon were to hear about an anti-dragon faction active here..."

With that answered, your suggestion is excellent.

Sending stones, kobold runners, etc.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-08-28, 09:17 AM
Sending stones, kobold runners, etc.

And Kobolds are clearly among the most trusty minions for a black dragon. No sarcasm meant. Betrayal is just not part of the collective nest mindset.

Sigreid
2020-08-28, 09:38 AM
And Kobolds are clearly among the most trusty minions for a black dragon. No sarcasm meant. Betrayal is just not part of the collective nest mindset.

And they can have sorcerers with Sending.

Segev
2020-08-28, 10:28 AM
Hey, guys,

in a campaign, I'm setting up, PCs will be pressed into service of (rather evil an di**-ish) adult black dragon. As PCs will be sent to do certain tasks, dragon will want to know, what they are doing and make sure, they do not go on their own merry way.
One way to keep PCs in line is to attach to them a loyal dragon's minion. Other option is dragon having a few casters to cast Scrying (but this lasts 10 min max). So... What is a good way to keep tabs on PCs, if this dragon is in question?

A few notes:
- the idea is for dragon to try to contain the PCs and PCs freeing themselves and fleeing eventually
- these methods need to make sense and can be very effective, but this is not an idea of a DM railroading. If PCs break "my contraptions", all the better

thanks

- Tribe of kobolds
- Tribe of lizardfolk
- Two fomorians
- Several low level sorcerers (spells up to lvl 3)

... aaand anything you want to come up with

It's a monster, it doesn't need to be bound by standard rules or items.

If this dragon has a wide reach and likes monitoring his subordinates/pawns, I'd probably go with a scrying pool in his lair that's tied to cursed items (bracelets, collars, anklets, whatever strikes your fancy). Curse doesn't do anything except let the dragon (from their lair, specifically) spy on them at will. Perhaps all of the important subordinates/pawns wear them.

With the thought that the dragon could always be watching but not necessarily is always watching it creates the tension of when it's safe to discuss solutions, maybe has them look into more inventive solutions than just chatting about it openly. And the weight of being forced to look at your character sheet and seeing 'Cursed Collar' is probably quite the incentive to get creative.

I love the idea of the scrying pool. Make the cursed items full-on magic items with atunement requirements; this will give the PCs a slight balm to the wound to their egos, while also ensuring that the consumed atunement slot isn't a total loss and fitting the rules for cursed items and how they cannot be ditched in 5e.

The other two ideas I had were to add to his tribe of lizardfolk or his formorians a coven of hags. Maybe a classic trio of an annis, green, and sea hag, given the mix of his other minions and his predilection for swamps. In 5e, it's "strange magic," but in 3e they had a specific item called a Hag Eye they could hand out. It's a gem with an invisible humanoid eye embedded in it, and it lets the hags spy on whoever has it, and see through the gem as if they were present at its location.

Alternatively, have him assign an evil pseudodragon to the party, and bond with one of the PCs as a familiar. Again, this gives a balm to the wound of having to serve an evil jerk, but also ties them more closely to their erstwhile master.

Yakk
2020-08-28, 10:43 AM
I'd sort of flip this on its head.

1. Geas the players to work on the Dragon's goals.
2. Send a spy along, who reports back. If the spy dies, they are told to bring its corpse back immediately.

All of these can be avoided or faked. And the game's plot should still work if the players go off-railroad; they just end up with a Dragon as an enemy.

The Geas is something like:
Every waking hour, make some progress on the quest I gave you, and never work towards removing this Geas.

When they break it, they take 5d10 psychic damage (once per day). Which sucks, but isn't game breaking.

The spy reports if they see evidence of the players breaking the Geas or removing it (PCs can hide it) and any progress.

---

This is a kind of puzzle the PCs can defeat, not a rail road. It is intended to have "ways out".

The Dragon can also scry, but only rarely (1/day). This will be used mainly if the reports cease. The Dragon can keep rough tabs on the PCs this way, or send people to punish the PCs.

Lupine
2020-08-28, 11:29 AM

That is completely and totally evil. I love it.

Chronos
2020-08-29, 07:19 AM
Some folks seem to be assuming that the dragon will be doing this secretly. That doesn't need to be the case. He could just say "As a condition of working for me, I'll be keeping tabs on you, via _____, and if you take measures to prevent that, I'll eat you next chance I get.".