PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What is the advantage of cultivate magic plants?

mehs
2020-08-26, 11:55 AM
Of all of what I can tell, they are equivalent to a uses per day wondrous item but stationary and 20 times more expensive. All other magic items have some economy to them, being economical in one use or another, such as scrolls for single spells, wands for multiple uses of low tier spells, etc. But cultivate magic plants is just wondrous item but worst?

Kurald Galain
2020-08-26, 12:19 PM
By rationing the fruit properly, you can have the effect seven times during a single day. That's the benefit. It's still not great, but at least it has its niche.

(and it's not nearly 20 times as expensive; check your math)

The Random NPC
2020-08-26, 12:23 PM
It's not great, I had a friend who wanted to take it, but the lack of benefits coupled with the lackluster rules for custom plants made her decide against it. Personally, I wouldn't have made it a feat, maybe a skill unlock, but probably just a skill check.

mehs
2020-08-26, 01:24 PM
Cultivate magic plants price formula is
caster level x spell level x 2000 x yield per day x growing season multiplier (to grow fruit year round, it is x4)
compare to wondrous items
caster level x spell level x 2000 x (uses per day/5)

So for 1 use of the spell effect per day it would be

1x4=4
whereas wondrous items would be
1/5=.2

4/.2 is 20, and this is for 1 use of a spell effect per day.

Kurald Galain
2020-08-26, 01:32 PM
Oh right, you were using a x4 season multiplier and I was not.

FWIW, per-day activated items can cost up to x4 more depending on the spell duration, too.

mehs
2020-08-26, 01:36 PM
per day items dont get a multiplier based on spell duration, continuous items do.

But again, for the price to get a magic plant that can do the effect 7 times per day, you can get 5 wondrous items that can do the effect at will, and still have 3/5 the cost of a another one saved; is there any actual advantage to cultivate magical plants?

As is it just seems to be craft wondrous items
but only uses per day
but more expensive
but also stationary

Darg
2020-08-28, 07:53 PM
The advantage of cultivate magic plants is that you can horde them for a week. Say you have a plant that grows 7 fruits a day. Those fruits expire after a week, but you can pick them right before the week is up to give you 24 hours to use them. On top of that, the plant continues to yield more fruit every day. By the end of the week you could have 49 fruits. For a single day's worth of what ever.

Ruethgar
2020-08-29, 11:34 AM
Couldn’t Plant Growth effectively lower the cost by 33%?

Zanos
2020-08-29, 11:41 AM
Can you not just keep your magic fruits in a preserve jar filled with unguent of timelessness?

Darg
2020-08-29, 12:18 PM
They can't be magically preserved.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-08-29, 12:31 PM
They can't be magically preserved.Quintessence would still work, since it literally stops time.

Darg
2020-08-29, 01:58 PM
The level 1 illusion spell?

Oh, there is a psionic power. Yeah. That would work.

Zanos
2020-08-29, 02:12 PM
The unguent also slows the passage of time, so I'm not sure it qualifies as food preservation.

shaikujin
2020-08-30, 01:58 AM
Since the plants can produce seeds, wouldn't it be possible to potentially grow even more such plants just from the initial cultivation costs?

unseenmage
2020-08-30, 07:17 AM
For what it's worth, plants count as objects for the purposes of spells.

So this could be a workaround to those cases where a spell isnt permitted to target/effect a magic item.

noob
2020-08-30, 07:46 AM
For what it's worth, plants count as objects for the purposes of spells.

So this could be a workaround to those cases where a spell isnt permitted to target/effect a magic item.

First sentence about magic plants:

Magic plants are a new type of magic item that are cultivated rather than constructed. Cultivating one requires the Cultivate Magic Plants item creation feat.
So no they are magic items and so spells which are not allowed to target magic items are not allowed to target magic plants.
Their fruits however are not called as being magic items so as far as I know the fruits could be made with spells then you make spells with your spells and the gm bans it.

The real interest of magic plants is that the fruits can be handed to many people that then can use them at once unlike use based magical items that can not be used by many people at once (you can chain use it by readying actions and stuff like that but it is complicated)

unseenmage
2020-08-30, 12:28 PM
First sentence about magic plants:

So no they are magic items and so spells which are not allowed to target magic items are not allowed to target magic plants.
Their fruits however are not called as being magic items so as far as I know the fruits could be made with spells then you make spells with your spells and the gm bans it.

The real interest of magic plants is that the fruits can be handed to many people that then can use them at once unlike use based magical items that can not be used by many people at once (you can chain use it by readying actions and stuff like that but it is complicated)

Huh. then I suppose they'll need to be optimized in the other direction.

As magic items can they be improved via magic item combination rules? Can one add Intelligent Magic Item powers or combine a magic plant with a Figurine of Wondrous Power?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-08-30, 12:30 PM
Awaken and give class levels? Preferably ones that work well with what magical plants can do, such as levels in egoist for access to the fission power, so it can split in two and give its cloned GMO fruit out so others can use them?

noob
2020-08-30, 02:16 PM
Since magical plants are magical items could you add the magical plant property to an intelligent item then scream "it is more alive!"
Or add the property to a golem and wonder if it changes the type to plant or something.