PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Tool Expertise and Dispel Magic

Fnissalot
2020-08-26, 12:46 PM
Hi!

Since all this talk of Tasha, I looked into making a witch and stumbled upon the artificer alchemist for it. After reading over it for a while I got stuck on a specific thought. Tool Expertise gives you expertise in using all tools and you must use a tool or an infusion to cast any artificer spell. Most spells don't care about ability checks, but dispel magic (and counterspell which mark of sentinel humans get as artificer spells) does make you do an ability check. So since you use your tools, and have expertise with them, do you get to add double your proficiency bonus to the spells ability check?

If you get it, with 6 artificer/10 school of abjuration you can have +23 to your roll on the ability check of the spell.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-26, 01:00 PM
No. You apply the expertise when you use your proficiency with a tool, but Dispel Magic doesn't use your tool proficiency (or any other proficiency, for that matter), no matter what you use as a M component.

stoutstien
2020-08-26, 01:14 PM
no but flash of genius can be used with dispel and CS.

Fnissalot
2020-08-26, 11:49 PM
No. You apply the expertise when you use your proficiency with a tool, but Dispel Magic doesn't use your tool proficiency (or any other proficiency, for that matter), no matter what you use as a M component.
Oh, I apparently skimmed tools expertise. Thanks for the reply!

no but flash of genius can be used with dispel and CS.
Only if someone else casts CS as both takes your reaction, but it works with dispel magic.