PDA

View Full Version : Elan Elan!

Particle_Man
2020-08-27, 12:03 AM
I just realized, that since elan is a race that one can become, technically Elan the Bard could go through the process and become an elan Elan!

That said, it would be a very foolish thing to do, what with the -2 CHR penalty.

knag
2020-08-27, 11:49 AM
I shudder to think of what a psionically enhanced Elan would be capable of.

Actually now that I think about it, probably not much (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html).

Jason
2020-08-27, 02:17 PM
If Elan became an Elan, and he was happy about it, then we might have Elan feeling elan about being Elan.

Edea
2020-08-27, 08:15 PM
I do find it slightly amusing that Elan would not make for a very good Elan.

I think he'd be better off as a flan. (Or a con. Which is was a can of Diet Coke really is.)

Fyraltari
2020-08-28, 02:56 AM
I just want to say that I have no idea what an elan is in D&D, but the fact that élan is French for moose makes this thread hilarious.

Jason
2020-08-28, 07:42 AM
I just want to say that I have no idea what an elan is in D&D, but the fact that élan is French for moose makes this thread hilarious.
So if Elan became an elan, and then was polymorphed into a French moose and was happy about the change, we would have: Elan who was an elan feeling elan that he was now an élan.

TheStranger
2020-08-28, 09:31 AM
So if Elan became an elan, and then was polymorphed into a French moose and was happy about the change, we would have: Elan who was an elan feeling elan that he was now an élan.

But we can do better: Elan, who had been an elan feeling elan, became an élan and Elan the elan élan felt elan.

Jason
2020-08-28, 09:34 AM
But we can do better: Elan, who had been an elan feeling elan, became an élan and Elan the elan élan felt elan.Oh yes, that is even better.

RatElemental
2020-08-28, 09:40 AM

Short answer, it's a psionically 'perfected' human who has increased physical and mental abilities, including an innate affinity for psionics and possibly biological immortality.

But we can do better: Elan, who had been an elan feeling elan, became an élan and Elan the elan élan felt elan.

This reminds me of that old joke about the buffalos from Buffalo.

mucat
2020-08-30, 07:46 PM

A moose once bit my sister.

Edea
2020-08-30, 08:17 PM
A long while ago, I'd had an idea in my head that the elan race was the result of a clan of humans figuring out how to 'attenuate' (i.e. excise the consciousness of) an illithid tadpole, in such a way that it could be used in a carefully-controlled, symbiotic version of ceremorphosis via the use of the psychic chirurgery power.

I had it written up so that the attenuated tadpole effectively formed an additional, 'third lobe' of the elan's 'base human brain,' and that was why they were aberrant and able to use psionic energy to sustain themselves even when freshly created. Even wrote up a prestige class for the race that symbolized an elan strengthening their own faculty with this symbiotic relationship, to the point they were a much greater threat than an actual mind flayer of equivalent level (or even elder brains).

But then I imagine Elan undergoing this procedure and then insisting on singing Zombie by the Cranberries 24/7.

:elan: "What's in your heeeead, in your heeeead-"
:haley: "Elan..."
:elan: "ZOOOMBIE~!"
:haley: "ELAN, for the last time, you're not a zombie just because you now have something in your head that normally likes eating brains!"
:roy: "After spending any amount of time forced to exist solely inside Elan's head, I'd fully understand not wanting to eat brains ever again."

Nail
2020-09-01, 01:17 AM

Not really relevant, but one of the Mooses natural predators is the Killer Whale.

Yes, I am contractually obligated to share that piece of information any chance I get.

Albion
2020-09-01, 02:10 AM
An elan Elan would be elanically elanivous. And it would do something alarming to Roy's blood pressure.