PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lancer RPG

Dragonsonthemap
2020-08-27, 09:30 AM
Joining a Lancer campaign for the first time. Its looks like it's a Real Robot mecha RPG that was kickstarted last year. Is anyone familiar with it? Does anyone have any character building advice?

Dragonus45
2020-08-27, 09:40 AM
I've played around with it a lot, the first most important thing I can recommend is looking into COMP/CON (https://massif-press.itch.io/compcon) your first few Lancer characters will go a lot more smoothly with it, and its officially made by people who make Lancer so it's quality. As for character building, Lancer is way more simple then it looks at first and your best bet is to build your pilot independent of any thoughts about mech stuff first, so get your Skill Trigger choices and your Talents done and then start looking at what mech you want to get when you get a few levels into you. And since any module from any mech can go into any other mech you really just want to find either the mech you think looks coolest or one with a base module that does what you want and just add in other stuff as you go. Once you sort of close off that massive infinitely combining list of mechs off it gets much easier. Also consider just using a premade pilot template to help out as well.

The Random NPC
2020-08-29, 11:50 PM
The game is pretty forgiving, and you can't really go wrong. Only thing I would caution you on is superheavy weapons can be disappointing if you don't pay close attention to what they can do. Also they have a discord, https://discord.gg/hQyBzmK

DataNinja
2020-08-30, 07:29 PM
Yeah, Comp/Con and the Discord (and the huge, huge swathe of hive mind there) are really the two resources you want. It's a little hard to give general character building advice, a lot easier to give advice based on "I want my character to do X."

That's personally my advice for making a character. If you have a concept, look through, and just see what kind of stuff leans into that concept. Or else, just start by leafing through the book, and looking to see if something inspires you. It's way way easier to narrow stuff down if you look at it through the lens of "this helps my concept, this doesn't."