PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Legendary Games] Legendary Ninjas preview

N. Jolly
2020-08-27, 12:14 PM
Hey all, got a quick preview to drop for y'all, this is going to be for the legendary ninja class. This is only a preview of some of the material of the class, but we are taking feedback on what is being shown, so feel free to comment on the doc or in the thread. And feel free to add yourself as a playtester. The legendary ninja is a class that takes some major departures from the base class including granting 4th level spellcasting that starts from 1st level and comes with cantrips among other unique concepts. This preview will only be for a few days, so make sure to check it out while it's up!

Legendary Ninjas preview (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19BDe0EGLhO2xzy2q0zJZ7p78_qSckmVQ5-ItpWvWtAk/edit?usp=sharing)

This document actually involves the introduction of quite a few new authors, so please be kind.

TerrickTerran
2020-08-27, 12:49 PM
I like this new turn for the ninja and would readily use this in a game.

Elves
2020-08-27, 01:27 PM
You should get this moved to Homebrew if it's not a finished playtest.

I added some comments. IMO, it has feature cram and should be narrowed down onto what you want it to do. Right now it has spells, active maneuver-type abilities with a refresh mechanic, passive abilities linked to those, sneak attack, movement abilities, tricks, and a "dirty fighting" bonus. Too much stuff and I'm not sure what playstyle you envision. To start, like I commented, I would turn sneak attack into a secret technique.

Usually 3.x ninjas go more the sneaky martial route, so I'd be interested to see you lean into the supernatural angle here. Eg, instead of prepared spells you might give them beguiler style casting since their spells only go up to 4th level.

Alternately, it would be no sin to focus it fully on the secret techniques and delete the spellcasting entirely. This would give more of an argument for retaining the passive jutsu mechanics, which might otherwise best be simplified into constant passives.

Secret techniques is a mouthful, maybe just call them all jutsus.

AlienFromBeyond
2020-08-30, 07:30 PM
You should get this moved to Homebrew if it's not a finished playtest.

That's not how it works at all.