PDA

View Full Version : Optimization proofread my wizard/dread necro, ymir fritz inspired

newguydude1
2020-08-27, 03:00 PM
every proofread thread i made had me end up getting moderated. so this time if someone goes offtopic, i will play it safe and simply not respond to it.

my dm is raw or die.

gonna say it a second time. my dm is raw or die. so if you say things like reality revision cant make magic items because "intent", or that psicrystals dont get feats because "intent", i will play it safe and not respond because what your saying has nothing to do with my table or d&d and responding to you will most likely make me lose my temper and getting moderated.

ok so this is probably my last d&d character i will make

inspiration of the character is this picture
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/shingekinokyojin/images/d/df/Ymir_sculps_the_Wall_Titans.png/revision/latest?cb=20191010034210
those of you who dont read attack on titan, that slave girl is the one that hand makes colossal titans at the command of her master.
also this
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dragons-crown/images/0/06/Art25.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140515032825

i wanna play a little girl that builds artificial colossal monsters. and this character is the result of that desire.

i also want to use 0 gold. so my wizard buys nothing. not even spellbook or spellcomponent pouch. net worth of equipment on this character is gonna start at 0gp and end at 0gp. the reason is i dont like playing characters that need an entire nation's supply chain to play. so i intentionally sacrifice power for independence by grabbing subpar feats like spell mastery and eschew materials.

little bit of rules. uncanny forethought lets you cast any spell you know without preparing it. a wizards spell known list is any spell he has written in his spellbook at one point in his life. if you look at the spellbook rules, a wizard who loses his spellbook can prepare any spell he knows from a borrowed spellbook but not any spell he doesnt know, so he has a list of spells known even when he doesnt have a spellbook. so 100% of my wizard spells he casts will be spells he chose for spell mastery, or spells cast at -2 cl using uncanny forethought. this is how a no spellbook wizard looks like.

theres also rules for a tattoo spellbook. so my free spells will go on my wizards body before being erased by her or something.

the mechanical concept of the character is very simple. its simply create simulacrums for free during downtime. thats it. nothing more. my character will cast 0 spells in combat once she reaches higher levels. she will create a simulacrum out of combat, and thats it. the simulacrum will solve all of her adventuring problems while she just follows quietly behind it.

so how do i make simulacrums for free? through cooperative crafting rules using a mirror mephit.

using a mirror mephit to provide the spell, i can ignore the xp and material component of simulacrum.
unlike other magic items, scrolls are made from 100% mundane stuff. high quality paper, choice ink, and choice writing implement. so by using extended major creation to create these three stuff, i can ignore the gp cost of the scroll as long as i can finish and cast the scroll before major creation expires.
by using sufficient amount of ambrosia i can ignore the xp cost of the scroll. uncanny forethought will be used to drastically speed up ambrosia production
lastly, thanks to cooperative crafting rules, i can use my caster level instead of my mirror mephit's caster level.

so the end result is with a bit of downtime i can create a simulacrum of any creature in d&d whose hd is equal to or less than my caster level. so my simulacrums will scale with my level all the way into epic.

cl 9 extended major creation = 36 hours = 2 days (8 + 24 crafting time and 4 hours to cast the spell) = 2,000gp scroll or 2666gp scroll with exceptional artisan. max cl is 11, or 15
cl 15 extended major creation = 60 Hours = 3 days = 3,000gp scroll or 4000gp scroll with exceptional artisan. max cl is 17, or 22
cl 21 extended major creation = 84 Hours = 4 days = 4,000gp scroll or 5333gp scroll with exceptional artisan. max cl is 22, or 30

so how is this like ymir fritz? ymir fritz spends years kneading the sand to make colossal titans. my character spends days with pen and paper to make colossal simulacrums.

so my simulacrum stuff comes online at 7 when i get a mirror mephit via improved familiar. so what does my character do until then? zombies and animated objects. (familiars require 100gp of magical materials to obtain. ambrosia is a 200gp magical material. so by raw i can use ambrosia to get a familiar.)

unearthed arcana has a wizard acf that trades out familiar for animal companion. so by grabbing fell animate and going illumian i can kill my own animal companion at level 2 and turn them into zombies.

animate weapon is a spell from complete mage. it turns a weapon into an animated object. it has a minimum size limit but no maximum size limit, so naturally i animate a colossal weapon. arms and equipment guide has rules on stone weapons so i just use those to create colossal stone weapons out of dungeon walls or boulders or something with unseen crafter. spell is duration concentration with no cap on duration so one casting can last all day.

level 1:
i get a horse animal companion, kill it with power word pain, turn its flesh into jerky, turn its hair into rope, turn its leather into clothes, bags, waterskins and such. maybe also turn its blood into distilled water.
for combat get a riding dog animal companion and assist it with power word pain.

level 2-3:
two riding dog zombies and a riding dog supported with power word pain.
i have dread necro's at will negative energy touch for infinite zombie healing. so my adventuring day ends when my zombies die. none of this 4 encounters a day or 15min adventuring day stuff.

level 4:
two zombie direbats and a dire bat animal companion. zombie bison has better stats but flying is important but clumsy flying is terrible. i will playtest how usable clumsy flying speed is on a zombie.

level 5
i now have access to command undead. -2 cl prevented me from using it at level 4. i can now have a large direbat army.

level 6
no more zombies. i retrain stuff out so i cant make zombies even if i wanted to.
instead i have a colossal stone greatsword (or whatever maximum size i can fit in a dungeon) animated via animate weapon and maintained via a persistent sonorous hum.
i give it a wheel on the hilt so it can move faster than 10ft.
stone greatsword is made by unseen crafters.
if no downtime turn a colossal tree into a club.

level 7-9
mirror mephit uses simulacrum to make a monster. most likely a zelekhut. if you know of a better monster please share.

level 10+
major creation scrolls of simulacrum.

level 18
i use wish to turn my wizard into something that can live forever.
im currently choosing umbral creature. i will make a new thread discussing if there is something better.

the actual build
race: illumian
alignment: neutral good (slaughtering animal for food and materials is not evil)
class: wizard1/dread necromancer1/wizard18
ability scores - 25 point buy
8-2=6 str
8 dex
10 con
17 int
8 wis
16 cha

skills
craft papermaking: max
craft inkmaking: max
craft penmaking: max
concentration: max
spellcraft: max
knowledge:arcana: max
knowledge:the planes: max
use magic device: at least 1

feats
flaw: noncombatant
flaw: pathetic: strength

1 practiced spellcaster
1 fell animate, retrained to exceptional artisan at 8
1 spell mastery
1 uncanny forethought

3 natural bond, retrained to obtain familiar at 6
6 persistent spell, retrained to improved familiar at 7
6 extend spell

9 persistent spell
11 magical artisan:scribe scroll
12 spell mastery
15 demon mastery
16 legendary artisan
18 extract demonic essence
21 epic spellcasting

spells
1st
1 power word pain
1 summon component
1 repair light damage
1 mage armor
1 endure elements
1 benign transposition
3 magic weapon
3 erase

2nd
4 command undead
4 alter self
5 unseen crafter
5 adept spirit

3rd
6 animate weapon
6 sonorous hum
7 distilled joy
7 augment object
8 greater magic weapon
9 magic circle against evil

4th
8 polymorph
9 celerity

5th
10 major creation
10 lesser planar binding
11 teleport
11 wall of stone

6th
12 greater dispel magic
12 antimagic field
13 superior resistance
13 disintegrate

7th
14 simulacrum
14 greater teleport
15 energy immunity
15 limited wish

8th
16 steal life
16 iron body
17 mind blank
17 moment of prescience
19 greater shadow evocation

9th
18 wish
18 time stop

and thats it. please see if i made a mistake anywhere. or if you think you can improve my build.

redking
2020-08-28, 10:27 PM
Since you say that you can reality revision to create magical items, why not create items that have the feats that you want instead of taking subpar feats like eschew materials? Have an item of eschew materials. An item that grants use of a feat is generally 10,000gp by RAW. Do this for all your item creation feats, including the cost reduction feats.

newguydude1
2020-08-29, 05:22 PM
1500 views and no one noticed the two giant gaping mistakes i made.

first is grabbing obtain familiar at 3 without cl 3. wizard2/dreadnecro1 is 2cl not 3.
second is not having enough rebukes per day for persistent spell at 6.

what are you guys proofreading!!!

after spending many hours i fixed the first problem by retraining. my first solution had 5 retrains. my final solution has 3.

Endarire
2020-08-29, 07:35 PM
My preferred method of free Sims is using lesser planar binding to get Mirror Mephits to make Sim Genies (I like Noble Djinn since they grant wishes, but Efreet have explicitly-shown stats) and the Sim Genies use wish to make free Sims of whatever. I like Sim Genies, Sim Dragons, Sim Titans, and Sim Angels - especially Sim Solars.

If you plan to go Wizard and want to avoid spellbooks and material components, go Easy Bake Wizard (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?325933-Easy-Bake-Wizard-Handbook&p=16808225).

If Pathfinder is allowed, Razmiran Priest Sorcerer (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Sorcerer%20Razmira n%20Priest) is handy since you get False Focus as a feat as an upgrade to Eschew Materials.

@OP: I can understand going Wiz or Sor or Dread Necro or Archivist or some other single-classed casters for this, but why split your casting?

newguydude1
2020-08-29, 07:44 PM
My preferred method of free Sims is using lesser planar binding to get Mirror Mephits to make Sim Genies (I like Noble Djinn since they grant wishes, but Efreet have explicitly-shown stats) and the Sim Genies use wish to make free Sims of whatever. I like Sim Genies, Sim Dragons, Sim Titans, and Sim Angels - especially Sim Solars.

free wishes. yeah. why not go pun pun while your at it. pazuzu pazuzu pazuzu

If you plan to go Wizard and want to avoid spellbooks and material components, go Easy Bake Wizard (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?325933-Easy-Bake-Wizard-Handbook&p=16808225).

because easy bake wizard doesnt make any creatures and is a subpar bfc wizard that needs to be babysat. not to mention it comes online way too late and way after i get my mirror mephit so truly pointless.

@OP: I can understand going Wiz or Sor or Dread Necro or Archivist or some other single-classed casters for this, but why split your casting?

so i can survive early levels solo without begging some party to babysit me until level 7. dread necro gives me zombies at level 2 and an army at level 5 with infinite zombie healing throughout the whole thing.

redking
2020-08-29, 08:10 PM
free wishes. yeah. why not go pun pun while your at it. pazuzu pazuzu pazuzu

You can RAW and RAI get free wishes if you can find a sufficiently advanced Solar (at least 44HD) sample on which to base your simulacrum, assuming that you have enough caster levels.

I don't expect that it would be easy to get a sample of the 44HD Solar. Given what you can do with it, the price for this sample would probably be in the hundreds of thousands of gold pieces, so it may take a quest.