PDA

View Full Version : template that grants immortality to humanoids?

newguydude1
2020-08-27, 03:03 PM
im currently choosing umbral template. if you have a better template i'm all ears because la+5 hurts a lot.
template will be acquired via wish using savage species rules.
rules:
1. has to be template because i need favored class:any because of my dread necro dip. i also like my illumian's naenhoon ability. so templates only, no race change.
2. cant be undead with rotting flesh. i hate it. so incorporeal is good, mummies and necropolitan is not. umbral is not rotting flesh undead since its a shadow incorporeal creature.
3. if its an outsider it has to be stated to be immortal. achons die of old age. eladrin die of old age. neraphim die of old age. so you cant assume outsider = immortal. rakshasa is explicitly stated to be immortal. vivacious creature is an outsider but most likely not immortal.

i rejected ghost template because its impossible to kill and such. not suitable for adventuring. further more it disappears when its reason to exist is solved which leaves it to "dm says poof".

so anyone have a better template?

i originally wanted to go elemental creature, but cant be applied to humanoids...

edit: i am now gonna go spectral savant (la +4 complete psionic). thanks shurivch.

Zanos
2020-08-27, 03:08 PM
You could just make yourself undead and cast gentle repose or use an item that gives it.

What specific kind of immortality are you looking for? In normal circumstances if you just want to live forever there are spells such as Kiss of the Ages, Clone, Last Breath, or Steal Life that can all grant it.

newguydude1
2020-08-27, 03:15 PM
You could just make yourself undead and cast gentle repose or use an item that gives it.

What specific kind of immortality are you looking for? In normal circumstances if you just want to live forever there are spells such as Kiss of the Ages, Clone, Last Breath, or Steal Life that can all grant it.

reincarnation stuff is too much of a bother and i hate to turn into a race i hate.
steal life is dependent on the existence of full moons. also in a book labeled "not intended for player characters".
clone is level loss and stuff and requires a permanent base of operations.
no dragon magazine so wedded to history is also a no go.

i want the eternal youth type of immortality.
no rotting flesh. gentle repose doesnt repair already rotted flesh. nothing does. i dont like to play a character that looks like and gives off the stench of rotting flesh.

Khedrac
2020-08-27, 03:19 PM
Reading your build - Wizard 19/Dread Necro 1 - you don't need "favored class: any", "favored class: wizard" will work just as well for you (both ways only the 1 level of Dread Necro counts for calculating xp penalty and with no other classes that's no plnalty).

I say this in case it opens up more options for you...

Telonius
2020-08-27, 03:21 PM
There are a couple of prestige classes that can give you immortality (as in, you don't die of old age), but they're kind of terrible (Green Star Adept and Cloud Anchorite).

Doctor Despair
2020-08-27, 03:38 PM
Pay a psion to use True Mind Switch on a third party in a desirable body, then swap with you, then swap back to their original body. Do this periodically to avoid the penalties of old age.

If your DM allows it, wish for the Wedded to History feat to gain immortality.

newguydude1
2020-08-27, 03:41 PM
Pay a psion to use True Mind Switch on a third party in a desirable body, then swap with you, then swap back to their original body. Do this periodically to avoid the penalties of old age.

astral seed and mindswitch is better and i dont want to go down that route either. my original plan was to use upd on an astral seed and minswitch psionic-scroll-equivalents on a simulacrum of myself. but iunno. seems a bit too convoluted for something that is essentially a roleplay thing.

frostburn directly states simulacrum is immortal and one wizard tried to turn himself into a simulacrum because of the immortality.

Reading your build - Wizard 19/Dread Necro 1 - you don't need "favored class: any", "favored class: wizard" will work just as well for you (both ways only the 1 level of Dread Necro counts for calculating xp penalty and with no other classes that's no plnalty).

I say this in case it opens up more options for you...

I remember searching for immortal favored class wizard races but i failed. if you can find one please let me know.

Crake
2020-08-27, 07:01 PM
achons die of old age. eladrin die of old age. neraphim die of old age. so you cant assume outsider = immortal. rakshasa is explicitly stated to be immortal. vivacious creature is an outsider but most likely not immortal.

Source on this? I've not read any lore to suggest non-native outsiders are anything other than timeless, let alone suggesting that archons and eladrin die of old age.

newguydude1
2020-08-27, 07:08 PM
Source on this? I've not read any lore to suggest non-native outsiders are anything other than timeless, let alone suggesting that archons and eladrin die of old age.

some 4e thing said eladrin die of old age. i dont remember where i heard archons die of old age. neraphim are directly said to live up to 400 years old. none of these are native.

ShurikVch
2020-08-27, 07:09 PM
im currently choosing umbral template. if you have a better template i'm all ears because la+5 hurts a lot.
Spectral Savant (Complete Psionic)? LA +4

Curst (Lost Empires of Faerūn)? LA +3

Guardian of Tirisfal (Shadows & Light)? LA +2

Scorned Creature? (Dungeon #136)? LA +1

Petitioner (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineMinions.htm#petitioners)? LA +0

2. cant be undead with rotting flesh. i hate it. so incorporeal is good, mummies and necropolitan is not.
:smallconfused: But Necropolitans aren't rotting - it's their whole point: all advantages of Undead while near-zero of disadvantages

achons die of old age.
You mean - Archons?
Since when?
Lantern Archons, for example, are LG dead people; do you mean dead could actually die from old age while being already dead?

eladrin die of old age. neraphim die of old age.
Once again - since when?

i originally wanted to go elemental creature, but cant be applied to humanoids...
Cast Aberrate spell (Book of Vile Darkness), then - transform to Element Creature?..

newguydude1
2020-08-27, 07:26 PM
Spectral Savant (Complete Psionic)? LA +4
ok this one is better than umbral. thanks.

Curst (Lost Empires of Faerūn)? LA +3
promising. need to ask my dm first. he hates fr specific stuff for some reason. he doesnt hate eberron specific stuff.

Guardian of Tirisfal (Shadows & Light)? LA +2
cant find it. is it a 3rd party thing?

Scorned Creature? (Dungeon #136)? LA +1
dm banned dragon.

:smallconfused: But Necropolitans aren't rotting - it's their whole point: all advantages of Undead while near-zero of disadvantages

A necropolitan’s skin is dry, withered, and powdery.

ok not rotting but crumbling. i still hate it.
https://srd.dndtools.org/srd/resource/images/lm/84763.jpg
super ugly i hate it.

Once again - since when?

Neraphim take longer to mature than humans do, not reaching adulthood until age 40, but they can live to be more than 400 years old
right there in the race description. 400 years. so since the beginning.

i dont have 4e stuff but eladrin die of old age. check their first racial description. i think it was there.
https://dnd4.fandom.com/wiki/Eladrin

Most live for over 300 years, and even then they suffer few of the infirmities of old age.

these arent the only ones. outsiders should be assumed to die of old age unless specifically called out like rakshasas and fiends.

Cast Aberrate spell (Book of Vile Darkness), then - transform to Element Creature?..

dm told me to stay away from temporary fulfilling conditions. i forgot about that spell though. ill look into it.

Crake
2020-08-27, 07:30 PM
i dont have 4e stuff but eladrin die of old age. check their first racial description. i think it was there.
https://dnd4.fandom.com/wiki/Eladrin

4e eladrin are VERY different from 3.5 eladrin. One are a mortal fey race, the other are chaotic good celestial outsider exemplars.

Neraphim seem to be the exception here, not the rule.

Kyutaru
2020-08-27, 09:06 PM
so anyone have a better template?

Chosen of Mystra.

They don't age so they can live forever. Elminster is one of them and while being as human as they come he is very, VERY old.

Feantar
2020-08-27, 11:47 PM
If your problem is rotting flesh, you could do bone creature from BoVD. It is essentially a sentient skeleton. Crypt Spawn is also possible - no rot, but the the "skin has a pale gray cast". I think both are LA +1.

Particle_Man
2020-08-28, 12:47 AM
Do you actually need immortality or just "live a hell of a long time"? Because Elf has favoured class wizard and elves are quite long-lived.

newguydude1
2020-08-28, 01:15 AM
Chosen of Mystra.

They don't age so they can live forever. Elminster is one of them and while being as human as they come he is very, VERY old.

i dont like roleplay a deity's sycophant.

If your problem is rotting flesh, you could do bone creature from BoVD. It is essentially a sentient skeleton. Crypt Spawn is also possible - no rot, but the the "skin has a pale gray cast". I think both are LA +1.

i think both of them dont have la. only a cr adjustment.

Do you actually need immortality or just "live a hell of a long time"? Because Elf has favoured class wizard and elves are quite long-lived.

actual immortality. i want my character to live forever and not a long time.

aglondier
2020-08-28, 05:21 AM
Can you spare a feat?
Wedded_to_History_(3.5e_Feat) (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wedded_to_History_(3.5e_Feat))

Caelestion
2020-08-28, 05:28 AM

Archons and aasimon (devas, planetars and solars) are immortal, according to the Planescape setting. Eladrin are very long-lived (multiple centuries), but do eventually die.

Jopustopin
2020-08-28, 11:13 AM
Elan's are sorta like a template.... in a sense.

ShurikVch
2020-08-28, 12:38 PM
Eladrin are very long-lived (multiple centuries), but do eventually die.
Note: Gwynharwyf and Queen Morwel are around since the Wars between Law and Chaos (which happened during the Age Before Ages)

i think both of them dont have la. only a cr adjustment.
Crypt Spawn was updated to "LA: +2" in the Player's Guide to Faerūn WE Monster Update (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/PGtF_WE_Monster_Update.zip)
Question: if Bone Creature would be OK (LA issues aside), then what's wrong with good old Lich?

cant find it. is it a 3rd party thing?
Yes - it's Sword&Sorcery
OP doesn't say anything about 3rd-party

dm banned dragon.
It's not Dragon, it's Dungeon

newguydude1
2020-08-28, 12:59 PM
Crypt Spawn was updated to "LA: +2" in the Player's Guide to Faerūn WE Monster Update (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/PGtF_WE_Monster_Update.zip)
Question: if Bone Creature would be OK (LA issues aside), then what's wrong with good old Lich?

bone creature was not ok, but i was curious so i asked since i did hear some nasty optimization stuff for it before.
anyways i want my wizard to stay pretty. spectral savant keeps her pretty.
lich has additional problems. that phylactery dependence i really hate. is why vampire is also not an option.

looked up crypt spawn. along with curst they both qualify. just need permission from my dm. thanks!
edit:curst doesnt qualify. super ugly picture XD

Archons and aasimon (devas, planetars and solars) are immortal, according to the Planescape setting. Eladrin are very long-lived (multiple centuries), but do eventually die.

it was protectars that were mortal not archons, my bad.
protectars, eladrin, neraphim, and others. too many outsiders that are mortal. pretty sure slaadi are also mortal. you cant assume outsider = immortal. only undead and elementals have that benefit.
half-elementals are also pure outsiders and it is not stated whether they are immortal or not, just that they are mostly flesh. its not wise to assume their immortal.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-08-28, 01:03 PM
Immortality is pretty easy to come by in 3e. (https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01Sab4vVzdEb_RKreUidUjU3Aop4g%3A 1598637666762&ei=YkZJX56CLov0tAWh9qyYDg&q=giantitp+%22immortality%22+handbook&oq=giantitp+%22immortality%22+handbook&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECCMQJzoECAAQR1Ckc1jMfWC9f2g AcAN4AIABWIgBmwGSAQEymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwieu4Gyvb7rAhULOq0KHSE7C-MQ4dUDCA0&uact=5)

One thing you can do with a simple spell, acorn of far travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) can grant you immortality if the oak tree is on a plane where aging does not take place, such as the astral plane. And if that plane has Ysgard's daily resurrection and fast healing properties, even better.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-08-28, 05:22 PM
Your best bet may be Half-Fey, if fey are immortal (which is as far as I know never defined one way or the other, so ask your DM). Using the Savage Progression Half-Fey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), you can get the Fey type for just one LA, as well as some stat boosts and excellent SLAs. The second level (effectively bringing you to +2 LA) may also be worth it, giving you excellent flight and immunity to a dangerous school of magic, as well as some more stat boosts. It can also explicitly be added during a character's life, even if they don't have any fey ancestry.

EDIT: The Fey Feature article on fey lifecycles (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040820a) discusses options for fey being immortal and for fey being mortal, so yeah. Fey mortality/immortality appears to be undefined; ask your DM.

ShurikVch
2020-08-28, 05:36 PM
edit:curst doesnt qualify. super ugly picture XD
Don't rely on the pictures too much: 3E artist don't knew what they were doing

For example, take Szass Tam
What's 3E description says about his appearance?

He appears as a richly robed, skeletally thin pale man. Balding, he has dark eyes, a thinning black beard, and hands that have shriveled to claws. He can, of course, use magic to change his appearance. His favorite false form is that of a tall scholar, aging but vigorous, with glittering jet-black eyes and a soft, purring voice.
OK...
But how artists depicted him?
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/FR_ART/People/SzassTam.jpg)
Epic Level Handbook (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery7/44203_CA1_SzassTam.jpg)
Unapproachable East (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/9/9f/Unapproachable_East.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200705112834)
For comparison - 2E depiction: Villains' Lorebook (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/5/57/Szass_Tam_and_the_Death_Moon_Orb.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141208140041)

Or, let's leave Szass Tam, and take some simpler - like Bodak
What's 3E description says?

A bodak looks more or less like it did in life, although its face is twisted into an expression of mingled madness and horror. Bodaks have gray, hairless flesh and empty, white eyes.
Now, what's we see in the picture (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG28b.jpg)?
What's that, an alien from Signs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signs_(film))?!

Thus, when trying to understand how creature looks like, read the description first, and check the pictures (if any) later
(Also, consult with your DM)

lich has additional problems. that phylactery dependence i really hate.
:smallconfused: What "phylactery dependence"?
Lich's phylactery isn't some weak spot - it's extra level of protection: while most other Undead, when destroyed, are stay destroyed (sans Vampires, Ghosts, Bleakborn, etc), Lich comes back 1d10 days later
Destruction of phylactery didn't cause destruction of the Lich: while possibility of just crafting replacement phylactery is arguable, nothing stop Lich from do their usual business without phylactery (remember - Voldemort and horcruxes...)

Also, despite the "skeletal" stereotype, Lich may look very life-like, if he care to keep the apparence
Besides the aforementioned Szass Tam:

Sapphiraktar the Blue (LE male ancient blue dracolich) was made into a dracolich 300 years ago. For reasons of draconic vanity, he carefully maintains his appearance through magic, and therefore is indistinguishable from a living dragon
Dallia Thistledown is the nicest little halfling you'd ever want to meet. She's kind and friendly, always greeting friends and strangers alike with a beaming smile and freshly baked cinnamon rolls or tea cakes. She's nice to animals and great with children. In fact, in the two years she’s worked in the castle kitchens, she’s never uttered a cross word to anyone. Her songs brighten the mood of anyone hearing them.
The halfling who was Dallia Thistledown actually died three years ago when she completed the process that transformed her into a lich. Now she steals royal secrets for the kingdom's enemies while posing as a humble cook. Of course, she's only doing that to gain enough wealth and power to take over a kingdom for her own.
A lifelong worshiper of Vecna, God of Secrets, Durak knew from an early age that he wanted to achieve eternal existence as an undead being. He would have preferred vampirism, but he didn't trust in his ability to escape the control of any vampire that spawned him. He amassed power and knowledge quickly, enabling him to achieve lichdom at the age of only 28.
Durak is now a relatively young lich, having experienced the transformation mere months ago. He appears mostly human, if a bit pale and sunken-eyed. He still venerates Vecna, and is busy amassing an army of undead minions

newguydude1
2020-08-28, 06:01 PM
Your best bet may be Half-Fey, if fey are immortal (which is as far as I know never defined one way or the other, so ask your DM). Using the Savage Progression Half-Fey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), you can get the Fey type for just one LA, as well as some stat boosts and excellent SLAs. The second level (effectively bringing you to +2 LA) may also be worth it, giving you excellent flight and immunity to a dangerous school of magic, as well as some more stat boosts. It can also explicitly be added during a character's life, even if they don't have any fey ancestry.

EDIT: The Fey Feature article on fey lifecycles (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20040820a) discusses options for fey being immortal and for fey being mortal, so yeah. Fey mortality/immortality appears to be undefined; ask your DM.

i always wondered whether fey were immortal or not. i remember seeing some old pixies so i thought they werent. but thanks for digging that official source up! now we know, its up to the dm. ill ask him.

snip

bodak is consistently alien from sign across all editions for some reason. that bothers me.

very interesting stuff about liches and draco liches. libris mortis is the authority on undead so everything it says about undead is true. dallia has disguise self prepared so her appearance is definitely illusion but the other two examples and definitely not the result of illusion.

so your saying if liches can defy official physical description, then perhaps necropolitan can too?

damn libris mortis saying "magically maintain living visage" instead of giving a procedure or a spell!

ok you have given me a lot to think about. but it seems its clear undead is the only choice. no one has mentioned any elemental or outsider options. unless half fiends are explicitly stated to be immortal somewhere. half fiend is so easy to obtain...

Can you spare a feat?
Wedded_to_History_(3.5e_Feat) (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wedded_to_History_(3.5e_Feat))

my dm doesnt allow dragon mag. we play a high op raw or die game and dragon breaks that too much.

magicalmagicman
2020-08-28, 06:48 PM
Half-Fiend Harpy from Frostburn is explicitly immortal. So I don't see why all the other half-fiends aren't.

Caelestion
2020-08-28, 07:02 PM
Because the template doesn't state that they are.

Doctor Despair
2020-08-28, 07:10 PM
To clarify, although OP seems resigned to undead at this time, the easiest way to get the Fey type is to take the Unseeley Fey template. LA0, significant abilities.

magicalmagicman
2020-08-28, 08:23 PM
Because the template doesn't state that they are.

Not even undead templates or elemental templates state that they are either.

A good deal of second in commands in FCI are half-fiends whose are really, really old yet sport no aging penalties, including Grazzt's own children. One of these second in commands is said to be immortal. Half fiends are outsiders and fiends are immortal. I don't think its a leap to say half-fiends are immortals.

Half Fiends are cambions and alufiends. And I'm pretty sure an earlier edition said Cambions are immortal.

newguydude1
2020-08-29, 04:40 AM
i might just, eat the multiclass penalty and eat the +12 or +16 la and wish my wizard into a erinyes or succubus. free wishes can carry anyone through epic level and i can achieve this by making simulacrum of myself, each being able to make 5 doses of ambrosia a day, so eventually i should amass enough to produce enough ambrosia to cast wish every day (499 simulacra needed)

its a thought. dont hold me to it.

anyways so the current results are
necropolitan, curst, or lich using libris mortis fluff about maintaining a body identical to a living body due to vanity
crypt spawn and spectral savant if i dont want to deal with that.
some people are suggesting fey but tbh i dont want to rely on something that by raw is 100% dm territory.
some people are saying half fiends are immortal. in 3.5 cambion is a separate creature. but hey, if a harpy can become immortal then why not a wizard.

Caelestion
2020-08-29, 05:37 AM
Not even undead templates or elemental templates state that they are either.

Undead creatures don't *need* to be immortal, you know?

Kyutaru
2020-08-29, 08:28 AM
Undead creatures don't *need* to be immortal, you know?

What is life but a being with an expiration date? Undead may well have their own expiration time depending on the magic used to create them. After 10,000 years those skeletons aren't getting up.

Telonius
2020-08-29, 10:49 AM
I missed Elemental being a possibility. What build are you looking at generally? Tenth level of Elemental Savant (CArc) changes your type to Elemental. No specific wording on aging, but if the DM is assuming anything with Elemental type doesn't age, that might be a possibility. It does lose two caster levels, but (depending on how badly you want it) it might be worth it.

ThanatosZero
2020-08-29, 12:31 PM
Another option is the Elder Druid of Shannara PrC. Beginning at the PrC's 7th level, you can enter druid sleep, a magical hibernation.
Druid sleep rejunates the user (negating aging penalities, as well as visible markings of aging) and increases the maximum lifespan, provided the user sleeps each year 28 days without interruption. For each day slept correctly in this manner, you gain 1 additional year to your maximum lifespan.

newguydude1
2020-08-29, 12:41 PM
I missed Elemental being a possibility. What build are you looking at generally? Tenth level of Elemental Savant (CArc) changes your type to Elemental. No specific wording on aging, but if the DM is assuming anything with Elemental type doesn't age, that might be a possibility. It does lose two caster levels, but (depending on how badly you want it) it might be worth it.

i made a thread called proofread my build. thats my build.

thanks ill take a look.

Another option is the Elder Druid of Shannara PrC. Beginning at the PrC's 7th level, you can enter druid sleep, a magical hibernation.
Druid sleep rejunates the user (negating aging penalities, as well as visible markings of aging) and increases the maximum lifespan, provided the user sleeps each year 28 days without interruption. For each day slept correctly in this manner, you gain 1 additional year to your maximum lifespan.

ill take a look but im playing wizard.

ShurikVch
2020-08-29, 04:08 PM
So much options are unavailable because of magazines ban:
Bhaalspawn template
Demon Lord template
Epic Destinies (in D&D 3.5) (https://web.archive.org/web/20090602015028/https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428)
Elixir of Eternity
Incantifier PrC (1-level dip could be enough)
Kissed by the Ages spell
Scorned Creature template

Some of options are prevented because of the class choices:
Timeless Body of Eldritch Disciple PrC (your PC is neither divine caster, no warlock)
Swordwraith template (your PC isn't a Fighter)
Einherjar template (need 10 levels of barbarian, fighter, paladin, or ranger)

Question: according to the (Half)-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) article, kind of Fiend which you're "Half-..." does matter. So, maybe, pick as your "Fiend" one of numerous Evil deities, and request for Divine Rank 0 (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#rank0) (because you're related to a deity now)?

newguydude1
2020-08-29, 05:44 PM
Some of options are prevented because of the class choices:
Timeless Body of Eldritch Disciple PrC (your PC is neither divine caster, no warlock)
Swordwraith template (your PC isn't a Fighter)
Einherjar template (need 10 levels of barbarian, fighter, paladin, or ranger)

cant find swordwraith templates' la.

but i think undead is pretty much decided. we got lots of options thanks to you. necropolitan is best. lich is directly stated to be what im looking for. spectral savant is also a thing.
personally i do prefer something not dead so my wizard can feel warmth and taste food and whatnot without a persistent shapechange spell. mentioning this in hopes that you know of some piece of text says that corporeal undead are capable of feeling warmth and tasting food such. i know incorporeals can because ghostwalk goes into detail about it.

Question: according to the (Half)-Fiendish Variety (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) article, kind of Fiend which you're "Half-..." does matter. So, maybe, pick as your "Fiend" one of numerous Evil deities, and request for Divine Rank 0 (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#rank0) (because you're related to a deity now)?

obtaining dr0 is a definite no. i dont even need to ask my dm. but. azedail the immortal harpy half fiend doesnt have dr0. so her immortality is not a result of being related to a archdevil. so thats good. on the other hand, she did have some sort of power absorption thing she did to a fey creature.

edit: elemental savant looks great. unlike green star adept the fluff requirement isnt dm reliant.

ShurikVch
2020-08-29, 06:01 PM
cant find swordwraith templates' la.
+3 (there (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040202a))

newguydude1
2020-08-29, 10:04 PM
+3 (there (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040202a))

thank you for your help. especially with the lich stuff. you made me want to read libris mortis properly without skimming.

but im gonna go with telonius's suggestion. a human female, whose skin turns into pure white smooth stone, eyes turn into round smooth sapphire, turning her into some kind of a beautiful statue robot elemental thing is just so much more prettier than undead. and she gets earth glide and no la or need to pay any xp.

ok thread over. thanks everyone. especially shurikvch and telonius.

shaikujin
2020-08-30, 12:00 AM
0LA is possible if you want to do it with just templates.
Unseelie Fey changes type to fey.

Here's a more detailed article on feys immortality - what are the different kinds of aging they have, and how they can lose their immortality.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030411a

Kalkra
2020-08-30, 12:13 AM
Don't know why nobody mentioned taking 1 level of Ghost. You can also take three levels for rejuvenation, which basically means that from level 15 and onward (or level 6 with Sure of Malevolence) you're unkillable in combat.

newguydude1
2020-08-30, 01:04 AM
Don't know why nobody mentioned taking 1 level of Ghost. You can also take three levels for rejuvenation, which basically means that from level 15 and onward (or level 6 with Sure of Malevolence) you're unkillable in combat.

ghosts disappear when their reason for existing is solved.

"As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research. "

dm says you became a ghost for immortality. so you dont have anything regret or sadness that keeps you from the afterlife. so poof you go.

ShurikVch
2020-08-30, 05:22 AM
but im gonna go with telonius's suggestion. a human female, whose skin turns into pure white smooth stone, eyes turn into round smooth sapphire, turning her into some kind of a beautiful statue robot elemental thing is just so much more prettier than undead. and she gets earth glide and no la or need to pay any xp.
In that case, try to ask your DM to allow use 3.0 version of Elemental Savant (from the Tome and Blood)
Pros:
3.0 isn't forced to apply Energy Substitution to all your spells with energy descriptors
3.0 gains Elemental Focus +1 at 2nd level, +2 (5th level), and +3 (8th level); 3.5 - Energy Focus +1 at 5th level, and +2 (10th level)
3.0 gains immunity to magical sleep at 1st level; 3.5 - Immunity to sleep at 2nd level
3.0 gains Darkvision 60 at 4th level; 3.5 - at 6th level
3.0 gains immunity to paralysis at 4th level; 3.5 - Immunity to paralysis and poison at 9th level
3.0 gains immunity to stunning at 7th level
3.0 loses only one CL out of 10 (at 10th level); 3.5 - 2 of 10 (at 5th and 10th)
Cons:
Requirements are slightly more demanding in 3.0: Knowledge (The Planes) 8 - instead of 4 in 3.5, and in "Spells" also required summoning spell (doesn't matter for a Wizard, but still...)
3.5 gains immunity to any sleep; 3.0 - only to magical sleep
3.5 gains immunity to poison at 9th level; 3.0 - only at 10th (via Elemental type)
3.5 gains Energy penetration +2 at 3rd level, and +4 at 8th; 3.0 - Elemental penetration +1 at 3rd level, +2 at 5th, and +3 at 9th
Resistance to energy: at 7th level 3.5 gains 20; 3.0 - just 15