PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for one-shot solo adventure set in any one of the planes

The Cats
2020-08-27, 06:18 PM
Running a one-on-one session for one of my players this Saturday. She misses a lot of sessions and we rationalize it by saying a trickster god her character impressed in the past whisks her off for random adventures across the planes every once in awhile. We're going to play one of those adventures. Only 'problem' is that I'm so spoiled for choice here I don't know where to start.

We're playing DnD 5E using the Golarion campaign setting, but I run with he 'infinite planes' idea so all the planes of pathfinder, Faerun, any other setting, exist and (most) are accessible. The party could plane shift to Narnia, or the dark dimension from Dr. Strange, if they found the right tuning fork.

I have some half-baked ideas but I always like asking you guys for ideas cause yours are usually better than mine. It's going to be a single-session one-shot and I want it to be fun, weird, and memorable. The character is a level 11 dragonborne bard with strong fey connections (Feywild is off-limits since her whole character arc currently is trying to find a way there). The player definitely prefers role-playing above anything else and the bard's spell list reflects that. She has very few damaging spells and likes to charm people, or come up with creative ways to use animate objects, to solve problems.

Any ideas? Or even just a short description of a plane you think is really cool that the player would like.

Brutalitops
2020-08-27, 06:54 PM
Big trick is give them a reason to care. All the cool planes can work but you need to give them a reason to move across the planes.

I'd suggest chasing someone perhaps a several people all planeshifted to different planes then they need to go after each one.

For example breaking someone out of a prison in mount celestia to take them back to the material plane.

Or having to barter with a devil for the other person.

Big trick is if your doing several planes in one session then your pretty much going to have one encounter per plane so have something tying the encounters together.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-08-29, 12:14 AM
So, let's start at the beginning. Any ideas what plane you'd want to do? As a dragonborne, does she have a special connection to a specific element? Do you guys heavily feature alignment so that an afterlife might make sense? Is there a comedy angle to the campaign that might allow for silly stuff like the demi-elemental plane of ranch dressing?

Plot wise, she impressed the trickster god... So she's basically working for him? (her, it?) It's a mutually agreed thing? Or does the character dislike being whisked away? Because those two options will result in radically different plots. So if she is working for him, what could a god need a mortal for on another plane... Talk to a group of staunch atheists? Set up communications with another god without creating a snarl? Invade a lich's secret outer plane castle that's warded against all divine powers? Or would he just be messing with her and others, like dropping her into the hunger games to mess up the betting pool? Testing her by having her retrieve some artifact the god could have easily picked up themself?

Basically: error, insufficient background.