PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making a fisherman PC

Melphizard
2020-08-27, 08:39 PM
Greetings travelers!

So here's the deal. My local DM plans to soon run a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign when the book runs out and I've become enamored with the idea of making a fisherman for the game.

The setting is Icewind Dale and I'm open to any ideas no matter the power or lack there of. We are allowed to start at level 3 and we are free to use all book material.

What I'm mainly looking for is skills to help would have helped my character in catching the best knucklehead trout in the cold ice holes.

Greatly appreciated and keep on fishing!

tKUUNK
2020-08-27, 09:35 PM
I don't know about the fishing skill part...survival? with expertise? and tool proficiency to create lures... jeweler's tools? tinker's tools?

But here's the important thing: fight using a "whip". Because your fishing rod is essentially your weapon in combat.

So kensei monk, choose whip as a kensei weapon?

man, this sounds fun.

Unoriginal
2020-08-27, 09:51 PM
There is a background for a Fisherman PC in Ghosts of Saltmarsh. IIRC they can catch a lot of fish during downtime.

Sigreid
2020-08-27, 10:52 PM
If you can get permission to use UA, a lurker of the deep (I think that's what it's called) warlock with the fisherman background would be delicious.

Naanomi
2020-08-28, 02:56 PM
Ranger is probably the most organic fit... Coast or Arctic as terrain, Beast as enemy... beastmaster probably the most thematic class (a halfling riding their giant crab pet is pretty effective)

Konradhelt
2020-08-28, 04:16 PM
Rogue fly fisher, using that fishing rod to deliver some nasty strikes. Possibly Thief subclass for fast hands to be able to fish faster 😄

kobo1d
2020-08-28, 04:42 PM
If you can get permission to use UA, a lurker of the deep (I think that's what it's called) warlock with the fisherman background would be delicious.

/thread

Fantastic suggestion.

tsuyoshikentsu
2020-08-28, 04:42 PM
My favorite idea--Deep Warlock with Fisherman background--is taken.

So my next idea: Fisherman background, Bard. Your perform specialty is storytelling. All you do is tell fishing stories.