PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help Pricing Figurine of Wonderous Power

Pterocards
2020-08-27, 09:57 PM
Hey y’all!
I’m making a character for funsies, and often times I want to make custom Figurines of Wonderous Power
But I’m not sure how to price them!

I want to make a Figurine similar to Drizzt’s Onyx Panther I guess
But using a Pteranodon as the animal instead.
I like the 12 hours every 2 days thing she’s got going on.

The price for Gwen according to a site I saw (if you google Drizzt Stats you’ll find it) is 28,500 gp
Using Plane Shift as the spell to craft the magic item

Other things I’ve been looking at
Pteranodon is essentially just a better Hippogriff,
And the Bronze Hippogriff is 10,000 gp for 2 uses/week. 6 hours at a time. Using Animate Objects as the spell.

I would prefer to use Plane Shift, A.) Because it’s cooler, B.) Because it’s cheaper anyway with Clerics and Summoners casting Plane Shift as a 5th level spell, as opposed to Animate Objects 6th level spell.

Any thoughts friends? <3

TLDR; Help me price a Pteranodon Figurine of Wonderous Power :)
At either 12 hours every two days
Or
6 hours every day (might be preferable?)

aimlessPolymath
2020-08-28, 02:44 AM
The Bronze Hippogryph seems roughly comparable; switching from 2/week to 1/day would roughly increase the price by a factor of 3.5 intuitively. There's an additional downgrade in that 7/week is more flexible than 1/day, but the pteranodon is somewhat tougher than the hippogriph; I roughly eyeball it at 30k gp; it's got roughly the combined utility of the golden lions figurines and a broom of flying.

Pterocards
2020-08-28, 07:22 AM
30 K is what I was ballparking it at too all things considered :)

Could you explain the idea behind the uses per week affecting the price a little more for me? I think I understand but it’s a little fuzzy.

Could you give me some examples of prices for usages? Is it usually priced Per Hour or Per Day?
How do the two ratios work together?

And thank you for the response! You’ve already helped a lot c:

aimlessPolymath
2020-08-28, 12:46 PM
In general, ability uses are priced in uses per day, and things like duration (which is usually based on caster level), etc. are linear scaling factors on price.
2 uses per week -> 7 uses per week as a 3.5x multiplier: Linear. This is about the same as buying 3.5 figurines of the hippogryph.
7 uses per week -> 1 use per day: Doesn't make a huge difference, given the massive duration it has, but this is a real downgrade in flexibility, so I take 15% off the price or so. It's fuzzy.

Pterocards
2020-08-28, 03:21 PM
Makes sense to me! Thank you for all the help aimlessPolymath!
One more question, when you calculated this, did you use Animate Objects as the base spell? Or Plane Shift?

I think I'll go with Lavender Chalcedony for the Gem base c:
Just because it's pretty :)

aimlessPolymath
2020-08-28, 03:52 PM
I didn't look at any 'base spell' at all, I just benchmarked against similar items. You could justify using either one as part of crafting if you wanted.

Pterocards
2020-08-28, 04:46 PM
Alrighty! That's what I thought but I figured I would double check :)