PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold Maps?

Luincale
2020-08-27, 10:05 PM
I am in the middle of GMing my first DND5 5e game. Things have been going well and that's in no small part to the advice I've read across these forums. We've been playing via Roll20 the last few games and the party is about to discover that a large citadel-stronghold of the primary faction they are a part of has been built. I would like this to be a true stronghold for them, with vaults, libraries, places for visitors to stay to throw around political intrigue from the surrounding city states, etc. All that jazz.

I've purchased a few tile sets and have done some map searching, but i can't find a nice large, multilevel, grandiose style map to fit my vision. I've begun working on building it through tile sets, but if anyone has some direction, I'd like to find some premade maps - I don't mind paying for the material. just want the players to have a fleshed out stronghold and I don't really have the time to make it what i would like.

Does anyone have any advice on some nice multi-tiered citadel/fortress/palace maps or, if nothing else, an easy way to build a multi-tier stronghold map from scratch? Here are a few inspiration points I'd like to use for the layout.

https://cgterminal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Blender-How-to-Create-Game-of-Thrones-Inspired-Castle-Tutorial.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/ca/cb/3bcacb6607935012a75b9c5cf91c1b56.jpg

Kaptin Keen
2020-08-28, 12:10 AM
Um .. maps of Castle Ravenloft are available for purchase online. Dunno if that's helpful or not =)

Luincale
2020-08-29, 06:09 PM
Thanks! Good suggestion and may have to keep that in minf for later dungeons.

I'm looking for something a bit larger and "good" feeling this time around, lol. Like I said, it may be that I'l have to state what rooms are there and map out a room as it is used.

Dawgmoah
2020-08-30, 01:32 AM
I built a nine story castle once. Was a lot of work, used a few tilesets that I purchased.

First I built the outer walls and figured where the towers and staircases would be. Then worked my way up. Used different colours to mark things like secret passages, traps that empty people into the dungeons, etc. Then built the layers of dungeons underneath - which was easier than the building since I did not have to worry about everything stacking just right.

A lot of work but used it for about a dozen sessions and reused parts of it over the years.

Best of luck.

Oh, and look on the web: some of the castles might have floorplans you can use for inspiration.

Palanan
2020-08-30, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Luincale
Does anyone have any advice on some nice multi-tiered citadel/fortress/palace maps…?

One of the best I’ve found is Castle Jacktannery (https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=24308), a series of beautiful encounter maps on Cartographer’s Guild. I’ve used several of them myself, and while they don’t cover the sheer amount of space you’re looking for, they do offer some key locations, as well as elements for you to expand upon.

(Be sure to note the link to his WIP thread in the first paragraph, where a lot of useful elements can be found.)

jjordan
2020-08-30, 02:50 PM
Have you considered using maps of actual palaces/strongholds?

You can find plans for Krak des Chevaliers, the al-Hambra, the palaces in Jaipur, Colditz Castle, and so on.

Luincale
2020-08-30, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys!

Couldn't find the original WIP thread for Jacktannery - the link takes me back to the main thread.

This is opening up some new resources as well. I have some more sites to fall into.