PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger Rogue

carrdrivesyou
2020-08-28, 09:29 AM
Has anyone had any success with Rogues using gun in 5e? Did taking a few fighter levels for the Gunslinger perks workout well? What feats would be best? Anything I should avoid doing?

Just looking for input and opinions here :D

Grod_The_Giant
2020-08-28, 10:23 AM
I dunno if this helps, but I've got a dedicated gun-using-Rogue subclass (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?616999-Improved-firearm-rules-feat-and-subclasses&p=24649132#post24649132)...

Mikal
2020-08-28, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had any success with Rogues using gun in 5e? Did taking a few fighter levels for the Gunslinger perks workout well? What feats would be best? Anything I should avoid doing?

Just looking for input and opinions here :D

Works just as good as an archer rogue. Everything an archer can do the gunner (especially with the ya feat) does with slightly higher damage, except bonus action pistols ala crossbow expert

Meichrob7
2020-09-01, 09:57 AM
iirc the old UA artificer’s gunslinger subclass was functionally a rogue with a gun since their “as an action do a special shot that does extra damage” scaled identically to the rogue’s sneak attacks. Obviously there were some differences since both classes do things besides their “one hit per round that rolls a bag of d6” but in combat they woulda been pretty damn similar.

Zhorn
2020-09-02, 01:08 AM
With any luck the Gunner feat from that Feats UA the other month will be in Tasha's, so you'll be able to skip the multiclassing for just gun proficiency.
It'll be neat for Rogues for the purposes of thematically creating a Sniper without gimping your Sneak Attack dice.

For me, I'm just keen on the idea of a gunslinger without using Mercer's Gunslinger.
grit and misfires? forget that nonsense, and taking a Battle Master with the Gunner feat will get you most of the same flavour as trickshots anyway.