View Full Version : Runes and Contingent spells

Raishoiken
2020-08-28, 07:19 PM
This is a two parter here boiz:

1: neither craft contingent spell nor inscribe rune seem to say that that the bearer (contingent) or the target (rune) have to have originally been valid for the spell's original target line. outside of rai, is there any way to verify that the line isn't just replaced with "the bearer" or "the one who triggers dis bish"?

2: given that the target stops being a worry, what weird interactions can you think of that would come from targeting someone with something you shouldn't otherwise be able to?

Saintheart
2020-08-28, 09:31 PM
So far as runes are concerned, the only clarification that the Rune Magic section in FRCS (or PGtF) makes on this is that if the spell can affect only objects, then an object must trigger the rune, i.e. you have to touch the rune to an object to make it affected by something like Greater Magic Weapon. Beyond that the concept doesn't make it clear whether an area spell or a burst becomes a spell centred on the person who triggers the rune or that the spell becomes a single-target spell with no area effect. So there's no limit bar RAI on the idea; explicitly, whoever touches the rune becomes the target of the spell placed within it. It doesn't explicitly create a target line for a spell that otherwise doesn't have it, but that's really one of only two operable interpretations you can put on that line (the other being that it implicitly doesn't work on a spell without a target line, but there is nothing RAW that says that, even after PgTF errata'ed Inscribe Rune on the subject of its activation time.)

That said, for the lulz this then means a Drunken Master with a rune of Greater Magic Weapon scribed on the palm of his glove then turns chair legs, tables, ladders, etc etc into greater magic weapons, since the Master can use pretty much anything as an improvised weapon and Greater Magic Weapon explicitly functions on a weapon.

Darg
2020-08-28, 10:41 PM
Complete Arcane has this about Contingent spells:

Once triggered, a contingent spell takes immediate effect upon the bearer (or is centered in the bearer's square if the spell affects an area).

You do get to walk around with it though, and personal spells can be "cast" on another this way.

Contingency spell doesn't require that you are the caster of the companion spell, just that they are cast at the same time. One thing I realized is that contingency only has the limit of one spell when it is a spell. If it is a spell-like ability then there is no limit to how many contingencies you can have...

Raishoiken
2020-08-31, 04:31 PM
So far as runes are concerned, the only clarification that the Rune Magic section in FRCS (or PGtF) makes on this is that if the spell can affect only objects, then an object must trigger the rune, i.e. you have to touch the rune to an object to make it affected by something like Greater Magic Weapon. Beyond that the concept doesn't make it clear whether an area spell or a burst becomes a spell centred on the person who triggers the rune or that the spell becomes a single-target spell with no area effect. So there's no limit bar RAI on the idea; explicitly, whoever touches the rune becomes the target of the spell placed within it. It doesn't explicitly create a target line for a spell that otherwise doesn't have it, but that's really one of only two operable interpretations you can put on that line (the other being that it implicitly doesn't work on a spell without a target line, but there is nothing RAW that says that, even after PgTF errata'ed Inscribe Rune on the subject of its activation time.)

That said, for the lulz this then means a Drunken Master with a rune of Greater Magic Weapon scribed on the palm of his glove then turns chair legs, tables, ladders, etc etc into greater magic weapons, since the Master can use pretty much anything as an improvised weapon and Greater Magic Weapon explicitly functions on a weapon.

spells on gloves is one of my favorite concepts, this is brilliant

Complete Arcane has this about Contingent spells:

You do get to walk around with it though, and personal spells can be "cast" on another this way.

Contingency spell doesn't require that you are the caster of the companion spell, just that they are cast at the same time. One thing I realized is that contingency only has the limit of one spell when it is a spell. If it is a spell-like ability then there is no limit to how many contingencies you can have...

cheater

Darg
2020-08-31, 05:59 PM
cheater

If it's fun, why not?

Raishoiken
2020-08-31, 07:01 PM
If it's fun, why not?

there is no not, only profit

Darg
2020-08-31, 08:45 PM
I think we are on the same page.

unseenmage
2020-09-02, 07:15 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread.. Keep stacking Minor Servitor on the same body.

I say every conciousness inside gets its own initiative round to control the body. Good luck original occupant.