PDA

View Full Version : Best Class for a Pallid Elf Investigator?

Yakmala
2020-08-29, 12:21 AM
One of the Homebrew games I'm in is allowing a wide range of content, including most UA (no Mystics or PSI points), Theros and Wildemount.

The party consists almost entirely of Charisma and Wisdom based characters and we are in a potentially trap heavy environment, so I want to play someone that is good at Investigation. Since Wildemount is allowed, I immediately thought of the Pallid Elf.

The Pallid Elf has Incisive Sense, giving them Advantage on Investigation and Insight checks. My first thought was an Inquisitive Rogue. Expertise (with advantage) in Investigation and Insight would not only help with trap/secret door investigations, but would be great with Insightful Fighting.

But beyond Insightful Fighting, I'm not that enamored with the Inquisitive Rogue's other features. Another thought would be an Arcane Trickster, which would make good use of the high Intelligence stat I'm likely to have to support Investigation. Alternately, I could be any Int based class and back it up with the Practiced Expert feat from UA to get expertise in Investigation.

Thoughts? Is getting to make Insightful Fighting checks with Expertise and Advantage, almost guaranteeing Sneak Attack in any circumstance, too good to pass up? Or are there better options?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-29, 04:37 AM
Right off the bat gonna mention inquisitive rogue.
EDIT but if that isn’t what you are going for, mastermind works fairly well.

Unoriginal
2020-08-29, 05:46 AM
One of the Homebrew games I'm in is allowing a wide range of content, including most UA (no Mystics or PSI points), Theros and Wildemount.

The party consists almost entirely of Charisma and Wisdom based characters and we are in a potentially trap heavy environment, so I want to play someone that is good at Investigation. Since Wildemount is allowed, I immediately thought of the Pallid Elf.

The Pallid Elf has Incisive Sense, giving them Advantage on Investigation and Insight checks. My first thought was an Inquisitive Rogue. Expertise (with advantage) in Investigation and Insight would not only help with trap/secret door investigations, but would be great with Insightful Fighting.

But beyond Insightful Fighting, I'm not that enamored with the Inquisitive Rogue's other features. Another thought would be an Arcane Trickster, which would make good use of the high Intelligence stat I'm likely to have to support Investigation. Alternately, I could be any Int based class and back it up with the Practiced Expert feat from UA to get expertise in Investigation.

Thoughts? Is getting to make Insightful Fighting checks with Expertise and Advantage, almost guaranteeing Sneak Attack in any circumstance, too good to pass up? Or are there better options?

If you're including Wildemount stuff, you might be interested in the Cobalt Soul Monk, also by Matt Mercer.