PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How should I be upgrading my Bard as I reach higher levels? Changeling EloquenceBard7

togapika
2020-08-30, 01:06 PM
https://ddb.ac/characters/32490477/dEtaBl
I'm playing a Changeling Bard 7 of the College of Eloquence in an Eberron game, and we're currently level 7. The party consists of a Silver Flame themed Hexblade Warlock 7, a War Cleric 5/Fighter 2, and a Crown Paladin 4/Fighter 3

My concept is a character who was a slave dancer to a desert caliph (Dancer Bard with war fan for my spell focus) who learned enough about the social hierarchies of where she was so that she could formulate a plan and escape. She now travels around hunting slavers and freeing slaves.
To that end, I have expertise in Deception, Insight, and Thieves Tools
We got a free feat at 1st level from a list of mostly non-combat feats, which I used for Magic Initiate: Fire Bolt/Minor Illusion/Mage Armor, and I also took Practiced Expert at level 4 for proficiency and expertise in thieves tools, as well as +1 Dex
Current magic items of note are a Weapon of Warning, Slippers of Spider Climbing, and Cloak of Displacement.

I am currently our groups liar and lock popper, and I'm doing my best to add subtlety to my group (They aren't so subtle), as well as having a bit of a utility belt type character "Insane situation? Hang on, I might have something for this"

I know people suggest sticking with Bard till at least level 10 for Magical Secrets, and I'm thinking about Counterspell and either Find Greater Steed or Wall of Force. If I take FGS, I'm thinking I might ask my GM if there's any Eberron specific mount I could have, not for a power increase, just for flavor or the possibility of getting a dinosaur mount.
I haven't been able to find too many guides for bard that include the college of eloquence, and many guides say that the higher levels of classes like Bard have abilities that aren't worth it. For the kind of character I want to play, is it worth sticking with Bard for as high a level as the campaign goes, or would it be better to multiclass and if so, into what? I'm also about to hit 8th level and I'm not sure if a stat increase would be better or taking something like Inspiring Leader or Resilient: Wisdom to protect against mind control type spells.
Current stats are 12/16/15/10/13/20

Tosamu
2020-08-30, 02:48 PM
Actor would be great, except that you are already at 20 Charisma. Maybe ask your DM if you can take the point in another stat instead?

As for Magical Secrets, Counterspell is always great. I'm not sure I'd take Find Greater Steed unless I was planning on picking something that flies, so your mileage may vary there. Wall of Force is great for fights in enclosed spaces, and FGS isn't, so if you are running a mostly urban/dungeoncrawling/underdark type campaign, take Wall of Force and don't look back.

kobo1d
2020-08-30, 03:51 PM
https://ddb.ac/characters/32490477/dEtaBl
I'm playing a Changeling Bard 7 of the College of Eloquence in an Eberron game, and we're currently level 7. The party consists of a Silver Flame themed Hexblade Warlock 7, a War Cleric 5/Fighter 2, and a Crown Paladin 4/Fighter 3

My concept is a character who was a slave dancer to a desert caliph (Dancer Bard with war fan for my spell focus) who learned enough about the social hierarchies of where she was so that she could formulate a plan and escape. She now travels around hunting slavers and freeing slaves.
To that end, I have expertise in Deception, Insight, and Thieves Tools
We got a free feat at 1st level from a list of mostly non-combat feats, which I used for Magic Initiate: Fire Bolt/Minor Illusion/Mage Armor, and I also took Practiced Expert at level 4 for proficiency and expertise in thieves tools, as well as +1 Dex
Current magic items of note are a Weapon of Warning, Slippers of Spider Climbing, and Cloak of Displacement.

I am currently our groups liar and lock popper, and I'm doing my best to add subtlety to my group (They aren't so subtle), as well as having a bit of a utility belt type character "Insane situation? Hang on, I might have something for this"

I know people suggest sticking with Bard till at least level 10 for Magical Secrets, and I'm thinking about Counterspell and either Find Greater Steed or Wall of Force. If I take FGS, I'm thinking I might ask my GM if there's any Eberron specific mount I could have, not for a power increase, just for flavor or the possibility of getting a dinosaur mount.
I haven't been able to find too many guides for bard that include the college of eloquence, and many guides say that the higher levels of classes like Bard have abilities that aren't worth it. For the kind of character I want to play, is it worth sticking with Bard for as high a level as the campaign goes, or would it be better to multiclass and if so, into what? I'm also about to hit 8th level and I'm not sure if a stat increase would be better or taking something like Inspiring Leader or Resilient: Wisdom to protect against mind control type spells.
Current stats are 12/16/15/10/13/20

I recently played an Eloquence Bard for a short campaign at level 12. Find Greater Steed and Counterspell were my picks and I had no regrets. The main reason not to multiclass is your power is now heavily in your spells as the game goes on, not so much in other class features. The Bard list is second only to Wizard, IMO, and you can steal some of the very best parts of it. Like Bard 14 Simulacrum would be so much better than almost anything else you can grab from a multiclass, and then you have Wish coming later at 18, etc.

I went big on crowd control / debuffs because of Unsettling Words -1d10 to a save is just so amazingly strong, it feels a lot like having 5 Diviner Portents per short rest. We finished the campaign with a fight against an Adult Red Dragon, Unsettling Words Faerie Fire ate the first legendary save, Unsettling Words Hypnotic Pattern ate the third, and Unsettling Words Hold Monster set up the Paladin to dramatically end the campaign.

For your feat, I would highly suggest Resilient (Constitution) because of your odd number and the heavy emphasis on Concentration spells on the Bard list.

togapika
2020-08-30, 04:46 PM
For your feat, I would highly suggest Resilient (Constitution) because of your odd number and the heavy emphasis on Concentration spells on the Bard list.

Okay, you don't think I need to worry about Wisdom saving throw spells? Also since you've played a bard, how do I know when I have an item good enough to replace one of mine? They're all unique odd benefits, so I'm not sure just how to value them

kobo1d
2020-08-30, 06:17 PM
Okay, you don't think I need to worry about Wisdom saving throw spells? Also since you've played a bard, how do I know when I have an item good enough to replace one of mine? They're all unique odd benefits, so I'm not sure just how to value them

Wisdom saves are very important, so it wouldn't be bad to pick Resilient (Wis). But for casters, some kind of Concentration protection is very advisable, so I think Resilient (Con) is better. If you do decide to go Wis though, you should look at getting War Caster or Lucky soon for the same purpose.

Your items are quite good now, and it's hard to guess what you might have access to in the future. Slippers of Spider Climbing are easily the most replicable by spell choice. You're getting into levels where you probably want access to some flight. Instrument of the Bards is very good. Ring of Spell Storing, if you pick Find Greater Steed, could give everyone in the party a sweet ride.

togapika
2020-08-30, 07:40 PM
Your items are quite good now, and it's hard to guess what you might have access to in the future. Slippers of Spider Climbing are easily the most replicable by spell choice. You're getting into levels where you probably want access to some flight. Instrument of the Bards is very good. Ring of Spell Storing, if you pick Find Greater Steed, could give everyone in the party a sweet ride.

For flight, I'll be getting Find Greater Steed. The GM is letting me use the stats for a Pegasus as a Rainbow Feathered Serpent instead