PDA

View Full Version : Darths & Droids

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Endeavourl
2007-10-31, 11:13 PM
Darths & Droids (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/) is a webcomic inspired by DM of the Rings (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?cat=14). It plans on going through all 6 Star Wars movies, and is currently in the beginning of Episode I.

Winterwind
2007-11-01, 02:43 AM
Ever since someone brought it to my attention in the Chainmail Bikini thread, I've been following it eagerly.

It's very good indeed, although I find two people is a bit too few for proper group dynamics - however, that's hardly the author's fault, he has to work with what the movies give him.

Through all 6 movies, you say? :smalleek:
... Awesome! :smallsmile:

I like that this group, while still highlighting RPG clichés, poor plot elements and alike, is not nearly as ridiculously dysfunctional as the DMotR group. This one, I could almost see happening - I can relate much better to this strip than the DMotR.

One thing that I've been wondering about though... this transcript for the visually impaired? Is that going to help anyone? The letters are hardly larger than in the strip itself!

Porthos
2007-11-01, 03:09 AM
One thing that I've been wondering about though... this transcript for the visually impaired? Is that going to help anyone? The letters are hardly larger than in the strip itself!

I might be wrong, but I presume that is for people who have software that reads the contents of webpages aloud. I could be totally offbase, but that's my best guess. :smallsmile:

As for the comic itself, I absolutely love it. It became obvious very early on (long before the D&D team confirmed it) that this would be the anti-DMotR. That is instead of the Ultimate Railroad, this is a case of the DM's plans being utterly shot to hell within five seconds of the intro., and every time he tries to right it, it goes further off tracks.

We've all been there. :smallamused:

But what I also like is that D&D is going after different RPG cliches. For instance the whole überpowerful lightsabers came from the players, not the DM. And the DM using the characters plots against them. Very free-form.

I also like the fact that the dialogue is snappy and unforced. It really does feel like what the SW films would have been like if Gamers were in charge. My only complaint is that the individual comics aren't as long as DMotR. But that's a small price to pay for the brillance we've seen so far.

It's only been up for a short while, but this is very quickly moving up my Must Read list. :smallsmile:

Winterwind
2007-11-01, 04:12 AM
I might be wrong, but I presume that is for people who have software that reads the contents of webpages aloud. I could be totally offbase, but that's my best guess. :smallsmile: Ooooh, I see. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. :smallsmile:

Also, fully agreed with the rest of your assessments.

Porthos
2007-11-01, 10:53 AM
"Oh God, this is going to be a long night." :smalleek:

BWAHAHAHAHAAH!

That explains so much. :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-01, 11:26 AM
I like it. It's the same idea as DM of the Rings, but with a very different approach and characters.

It also goes to show that no sane person could have come up with the plot of Star Wars, and it must have been cobbled together by crazy D&D players and their DM's attempt to control them. Seriously, lightsabers, wtf.

Endeavourl
2007-11-01, 12:32 PM
But gosh, we're making comedy here. How could we not include Jar Jar?

:smallbiggrin:

Manticorkscrew
2007-11-01, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I love Darths and Droids. The GM and the players don't seem nearly as dysfunctional as those of DM of the Rings, but they still have their quirks. Irregular Webcomic is one of my regular reads and I'm glad to see Darths and Droids has similar humour.

And is it wrong that I actually like Jar Jar a lot more now that I know he's being played by a little girl?

Bryn
2007-11-01, 02:57 PM
The letters are hardly larger than in the strip itself!

In addition to the previously mentioned screen-reading software, text size can be easily increased, while text in images can't. So, if somebody has their browser set to boost text size (by, say, holding control and scrolling down in Firefox), the transcript will be bigger.

I, too, greatly enjoy Darths and Droids (as well as Irregular Webcomic! by the same author), finding it consistently funny and well-written thus far, the two most important things in a webcomic.

Wraithy
2007-11-01, 04:33 PM
Great, just wonderful

Burrito
2007-11-03, 05:10 PM
Besides, Jar-Jar being a PC for an elementary school aged girl, who has never gamed before, is much more believable than the original version.

Endeavourl
2007-12-02, 07:44 PM
"Can meesa be a jedi too?"

Oh the horror :smallyuk:

Turcano
2007-12-02, 08:40 PM
Oh man. That's the funniest webcomic since Concerned finished.

"Oh. Uh. I meant laser sword diplomacy."

Too true.

SpoonlessJedi
2007-12-07, 10:16 PM
*random banter*
DM: Are you still holding your breaths?
PCs: Of course!

And my personal favorite:
PC1: Hey, Obi-wan, when we land, you stay put and I'll find you.
PC2: Okay.
DM: You're in separate ships; he can't hear you.
*pause*
PC1: HEY, OBI-WAN, WHEN WE-
DM: No.

Koga
2007-12-08, 11:00 PM
"I can't negotiate with a sword, I need a blaster!"

Ironic considering I always get Quin Gon Jinn on personality tests, and that's deffinitely something i'd say..

Jerthanis
2007-12-09, 05:44 AM
It was alright, but then really came into its own when they ran into Jar Jar.

Qui-Gon: Well met, friend alien. What is your name?
Jar Jar: Sally!
GM: No, Sally, we're playing a make-believe game, remember? Can you think of a new name for yourself? A made-up name?
Jar Jar: Pikachu!
GM: Er, no... a name you made up yourself...
Jar Jar: Jar Jar Binks!
GM: Ooo-kay... You don't have to decide right now... Maybe you can come up with something better later.

REALLY good character there, I'm going to miss it when Jar Jar plays a smaller role in the next movies.

...I never thought I'd say that.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-09, 11:04 AM
This is off to an excellent start.

Yay!

rickvoid
2007-12-09, 11:52 AM
They had me at "Ten foot laser pole". :smallbiggrin:

*Edit*
Yeah, just finished reading the 33 episodes they have so far. Friggen priceless. I now have it saved to my comp, right next to OoTS and 8-bit Theatre. :smallbiggrin:

Koga
2007-12-09, 03:08 PM
This kindof humor would be great with Paranoia.

TigerHunter
2007-12-09, 07:38 PM
D&D has quite rapidly risen to pretty high on my favorites list. I personally like it even better than the already good Irregular Webcomic.

RE: Transcripts
Schlock Mercenary (schlockmercenary.com) keeps a transcript of each comic to make it easy to search the archives. Its quite useful.

Gundato
2007-12-09, 10:05 PM
Decent comic.

On a sidenote: I can't shake the feeling that I saw the first few pages a year or two ago.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-12, 12:08 PM
Ah, the joy and agony of trying to play an RPG with both older and younger kids! I tried to get my daughter to play when she was in the 4th grade, she liked it but wanted "Pokemon" type powers for her characters.

Now my son in the 1st grade wants to give it a try. He seems like he would enjoy the game more than his sister...

Porthos
2007-12-19, 01:54 AM
One of the things that I've really come to like about this comic is the inversions that they are doing. They're trying (and mostly succeeding) to make Jar-Jar a likeable character for instance. Another example is that Qui-Gon, instead of being a Wise Old Man Who Is Molding a Young Jedi, is, in fact, a doofus of the highest order. In fact, of the two, Obi-Wan is a far more level headed and tactically smart.

Makes the comic that more refreshing. :smallsmile:

Winterwind
2007-12-19, 08:48 AM
Indeed. Funny how even Sally is more level headed than Qui-Gon ("Open the window!" - "Wesa underwater!"). :smallbiggrin:

The scary thing? I find that, reading this, I think I might be beginning to like Jar Jar :smalleek: .

GolemsVoice
2007-12-19, 11:56 AM
The comic is great, I love it! But one thing I didn't understand, though it is only a minor concern: How did Sally/Jar-Jar come to speak this silly dialect without knowing he is supposed to?

Mewtarthio
2007-12-19, 12:56 PM
Sally just made it up, presumably to sound cute and alienish.

Gez
2007-12-19, 02:02 PM
The scary thing? I find that, reading this, I think I might be beginning to like Jar Jar :smalleek: .

Don't worry. Jar-Jar Binks the metacharacter (that is to say, the character of a character, Sally) is not the same gungan as Jar-Jar Binks the character.

How did Sally/Jar-Jar come to speak this silly dialect without knowing he is supposed to?

He isn't supposed to. But the moment Sally came into play, she stole a big part of the DM's worldbuilding privileges. :)

Narmoth
2007-12-20, 10:45 AM
preffered DM of the rings.
I like Darths & Droids, but it's not the same :smalleek:
I read chainmail bikin though

Sc00by
2007-12-20, 03:22 PM
I've been reading this from the start and I have to say that I prefer it to Chainmail Bikini. And to the actual Star wars films for that matter!

It's the RSS feed I check after I've checked for a new OotS it's THAT good! :wink:

Shawn
2007-12-21, 01:45 PM
Darth & Droids has reminded me how much I can't stand Episode 1. Ugh.

I do love Sally though.

JMobius
2007-12-21, 02:31 PM
I love this comic. :)

Having just recently started running a game of Star Wars d20, it strikes a certain chord with me.

Burrito
2007-12-22, 04:42 PM
Somebody (not me) really really needs to come up with the stats for the Summon Bigger Fish spell. I laugh every time Qui-Gon/Jim says that.

I am wondering what they will do with Anakin. Will he be a NPC, or will Sally tell one of her classmates about the game she has been playing and the DM will have yet another elementary school aged player. It could even bee the boy she "likes", that would have some interesting OOC banter between Jar Jar and Anakin, especially with the screen shots available to them.

Porthos
2007-12-22, 10:08 PM
Somebody (not me) really really needs to come up with the stats for the Summon Bigger Fish spell. I laugh every time Qui-Gon/Jim says that.

I am wondering what they will do with Anakin. Will he be a NPC

I think he will start out as an NPC but then will be taken over by Qui-Gon's player when Qui-Gon dies. After all Qui-Gon's player (who's name escapes me at the moment) playing style is extremely impetuous, bloodthirsty and reckless. Words which suit Anakin to a tee. :smallwink:

Kupi
2007-12-22, 10:54 PM
I think he will start out as an NPC but then will be taken over by Qui-Gon's player when Qui-Gon dies. After all Qui-Gon's player (who's name escapes me at the moment) playing style is extremely impetuous, bloodthirsty and reckless. Words which suit Anakin to a tee. :smallwink:

Don't forget that they've said that they won't necessarily be following the original plot. After all, you said yourself that Qui-Gon's impetuous, bloodthirsty, and reckless-- exactly what the movie version of Qui-Gon wasn't. Who knows what Anakin will turn out like?

Jewel Thief
2007-12-24, 03:56 AM
This comic... is awesome! Sally's just like my little sister Rebecca!

kirbsys
2007-12-27, 09:57 PM
I think that I like the commentary beneath the comics slightly better than the comics themselves, but this is definately a comic I'll be keeping up on.

I just finished off the DM of the Rings, that was hilarious.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-31, 09:03 AM
Was there something that was supposed to go in the upper left hand corner? There's a blank spot for something, but no explanation.

I feel like I'm sitting at my own gaming table.

EvilElitest
2007-12-31, 05:54 PM
Jar Jar isn't even that bad in this comic, i wonder what made them want him to be taken seriously, though it is a nice fix
from
EE

kirbsys
2007-12-31, 06:16 PM
I don't think they wanted to make him be able to be taken seriously, more like they wanted to come up with an explanation for such a stupid character (EDIT: Other than to be used later to vote for the militarization act in once Padme was forced to go back to Naboo).

EvilElitest
2007-12-31, 06:32 PM
I don't think they wanted to make him be able to be taken seriously, more like they wanted to come up with an explanation for such a stupid character (EDIT: Other than to be used later to vote for the militarization act in once Padme was forced to go back to Naboo).

Jar Jar as a child makes so much more sense
from
EE

Porthos
2007-12-31, 08:06 PM

Actually, they have said that they are trying to make Jar Jar sympathetic. :smallsmile:

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/episodes/0034.html

One of the explicit goals we established early in our writing process was that we wanted to make Jar Jar's character likeable. So many people have such a low regard for Jar Jar as a character that we really wanted to turn that on its head and make him an entertaining and fun character in the comic. It was an enormous challenge, and we feared it might be too much of a mountain to climb, but we tried it anyway. We humbly hope that we've succeeded on some level.

In the movie, the other characters actually like Jar Jar (or at least put up with him, in the case of Qui-Gon), while the audience dislikes him. Here we want the audience to like Jar Jar (and Sally).

And since many people commented on just how likable Sally Jar Jar is before they made that comment, I think they succeded. Besides, how can you hate a young girl that is trying really hard to get into RPGing? :smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-01-08, 12:02 PM
Excellent! A Min-Maxer player added to the cast. And he's extra obnoxious, but has no choice but to allow Sally to play, since she was there first.

Too bad Sally seems to have a finite life to the story, while R2D2's player will be with us to the bitter end. Maybe she will take over Princess Leah's role once we get to that part of the story...

Winterwind
2008-01-08, 02:18 PM
Aww, I only hope that this will not make me hate Artoo in the same way it made me like Jar-Jar...
Though, given this player's attitude, the chances for that seem slim.

Too bad Sally seems to have a finite life to the story, while R2D2's player will be with us to the bitter end. Maybe she will take over Princess Leah's role once we get to that part of the story...Ooooh! That would be awesome!
Only, too bad that she would get such a small role in Episode II and III - Jar-Jar appears there, after all, but unfortunately only very rarely.

...Wait, did I just say what I think I said? :smalleek:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-08, 04:31 PM
So...Artoo is the Nextwave version of Aaron Stack/Machine Man?

Robot supremacists are awesome.

Flying Platypus
2008-01-09, 10:50 PM
Awsome Comic! The best thing sence sliced cheese (and OotS)! I espicaly like how they hate their laser swords at the beginning. I wonder what they are going to do for C3-PO...

averagejoe
2008-01-09, 11:27 PM
I wonder what they are going to do for C3-PO...

I bet that R2's character takes leadership, or a similar option. Counterpart, and all that.

stm177
2008-01-13, 06:12 PM
"We're bringing up a load of the Queen's laundry." :smallbiggrin:

Qui-gon / Jim is such an oaf, but he gets the best lines. I want to hear Liam Neeson narrate one of these comics so badly.

stm177
2008-01-23, 09:29 AM
http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/episodes/0052.html

R2-D2's player: "I took Short and Mute. Eight extra skill points!"

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 12:20 AM
Can somebody please explain to me why the decoy queen order the real queen to clean Artoo? Please? The writers were perplexed
from
EE

TigerHunter
2008-01-27, 12:46 AM
Can somebody please explain to me why the decoy queen order the real queen to clean Artoo? Please? The writers were perplexed
from
EE
In the movie? Because Lucas decided she should.
In the strip? Because Artoo asked to be cleaned by the "most beautiful" handmaiden, so of course, Sabe had to either insult her queen's beauty, or order her to do a menial job.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-27, 02:42 AM
In the movie: Because the decoy queen wanted to mess with her boss when the boss was powerless to do anything without blowing her cover.

I mean, wouldn't you? Assuming she wasn't a particularly execution-prone monarch, I mean.

TigerHunter
2008-01-27, 02:44 AM
In the movie: Because the decoy queen wanted to mess with her boss when the boss was powerless to do anything without blowing her cover.

I mean, wouldn't you? Assuming she wasn't a particularly execution-prone monarch, I mean.
That does make sense. :smalltongue: Point taken.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-01-27, 03:52 PM
from
EE

Actually, I think it was because the queen wanted to be close to these "Jedis" that had simply overruled her authority (and taken over her ship) - without them noticing. She wanted to be privy to their plans, in a way that the "official throne room" persona could never be. Of course, doing that she looses all her authority later on ("The Queen wouldn't approve" - "The Queen is not here" - "I do not approve")

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

EvilElitest
2008-01-27, 08:09 PM
Actually, I think it was because the queen wanted to be close to these "Jedis" that had simply overruled her authority (and taken over her ship) - without them noticing. She wanted to be privy to their plans, in a way that the "official throne room" persona could never be. Of course, doing that she looses all her authority later on ("The Queen wouldn't approve" - "The Queen is not here" - "I do not approve")

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Hey, that is an answer that does make sense

On the subject of the comic, its biggest contrast to DM of the Rings is that LOTRS games must have been awful, with awful players and a terrible DM. This games is suppose to enjoyable at its hearts, hence the contrast in humor and mannerism. This one is more interesting, the last one was more funny
from
EE

stm177
2008-01-28, 06:38 PM
The players and the DM all seem to be having fun. Does Jar-Jar have any scenes coming up on Tatooine?

EvilElitest
2008-01-28, 06:46 PM
The players and the DM all seem to be having fun. Does Jar-Jar have any scenes coming up on Tatooine?

electrifying his mouth for one
from
EE

hanzo66
2008-01-28, 08:23 PM
Hey, that is an answer that does make sense

On the subject of the comic, its biggest contrast to DM of the Rings is that LOTRS games must have been awful, with awful players and a terrible DM. This games is suppose to enjoyable at its hearts, hence the contrast in humor and mannerism. This one is more interesting, the last one was more funny
from
EE
I will say that having someone like this as a DM might be more fun than having Casey (The DM of the Rings, according to Chainmail Bikini) in charge of the games.

Somehow I was thinking of the irony of how perhaps while Qui-Gonn is utterly distrustful of Sio Bibble, when Palpatine comes in somehow (I forgot most of the Phantom Menace) QG will have no problem with him.

Mewtarthio
2008-01-28, 09:14 PM

She was just bitter about the whole "My only reason to exist is so that people will kill me instead of you." I imagine the tasks got even worse when there weren't any Jedi around ("Oh, dear, it appears Senator Palpatine has had too much fine Gungan Absinthe (distilled from only the finest Gungans!). Padme, sweetheart, could you clean up that mess? With your tongue?"). As an added bonus, people think the Queen's a sociopath, so nobody will dare cross the real Amidala (who, when asked about Padme, just narrows her eyes and says something about stomach pumps and a suicide watch). Admit it, you know she'd been spending her entire reign waiting for the moment when she'd dramatically unveil herself, and then have the decoy executed for impersonating royalty. Alas, the plots of the Trade Federation shattered that dream into a million pieces like a wrench shattering a liquid-nitrogen-frozen Jar-Jar Binks.

Incidentally, this also explains the apparently idiotic last words of the decoy in the second movie. "I've failed you" makes no sense if her job description was "draw fire from the real Amidala," but it makes perfect sense once you realize that Padme, not wanting a repeat of her time as Queen, sought a way to make the job more attractive to people who wouldn't resent her. Corde, a random Naboo street urchin with a passing resemblence to Padme, thought that she was pulling a fun Prince and Pauper-esque switch, and that her task was to go to the beautiful world of Coruscant and sit in on exciting political meetings so that Padme could explore the life of a poor girl. In that sense, Corde really thought she'd failed, and that now Padme would never be able to have her fun life. Of course, now Padme's reaction no longer makes sense: She placed the bounty on "Padme Amidala" herself in order to keep Corde from talking (trusting on her Jedi lover to keep her safe from subsequent attempts), so why was she so shocked? We know from the rest of the trilogy that she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

Unless that's just what she wants us to think! Oh, Padme, you sly-- Aieee! Sniper on the--!

EvilElitest
2008-01-28, 11:14 PM
wow, after reading that, well i don't need my mind anymore, so it doens't matter taht you blew it
from
EE

SnowballMan
2008-01-31, 08:18 AM
GM: You see a settlement on your scanners.
Qui-Gon: We should do a bombing run first to soften them up.
Ric Olié: The ship has no weapons.
Qui-Gon: Good point. We'll do it afterwards.

That exchange has got to be one of the funniest things I've read all year.

There have been a lot of comics out there that have disappointed me greatly after first catching my interest. It's good to see one that can consistently bring the funny. And to think, five more movies to go.

Porthos
2008-01-31, 01:24 PM
"On a completely unrelated note, do I have Detect Evil in my spell list?"

Classic. :smallcool:

Flying Platypus
2008-02-04, 09:33 PM
A few people have wished for Sally's charecter to be continued in another charecter, all I have to say is I hope not. Sally is perfect for Jar-jar, but she would absolutly ruin most other charecters. Not to mention if Jim takes over Anikin, I can't exactly see about half of episode II working with Sally as Padme. (episode II is the worst Star wars movie ever until the last bit)
I also liked how they did some of the names of the players;
Qui-gon Jim
or
Old Ben Kenobi

Jerthanis
2008-02-05, 12:57 AM
A few people have wished for Sally's charecter to be continued in another charecter, all I have to say is I hope not. Sally is perfect for Jar-jar, but she would absolutly ruin most other charecters. Not to mention if Jim takes over Anikin, I can't exactly see about half of episode II working with Sally as Padme. (episode II is the worst Star wars movie ever until the last bit)
Qui-gon Jim
or
Old Ben Kenobi

I dunno... I don't think she could really play Padme, who is kind of passive, and mostly there as a setpiece for Anakin's story, and there's the pregnancy (that might be cut entirely, since this story is supposed to be divergent from the movie plot, and Padme never "showed" in the movie)... but I think her playing Leia could work... maybe. It really depends on where they go with the story, since it's not going to follow the events of the movies exactly... they might even not make it a generational story about Anakin's children.

Kurald Galain
2008-02-05, 06:02 PM
they might even not make it a generational story about Anakin's children.

Oh come on! How can they not do the "Luke! I am your father!" bit as a startling reveal, followed by the classic "Nooooooo!!!!!"?

Plus it really is an excellent bit of DM revenge to point out that the girl you've been ogling and kissing is actually your sister...

Too brilliant. I can't see them leaving that out. But yeah, it probably wouldn't be sally.

SnowballMan
2008-02-05, 07:58 PM
In the original movie, what possible reason could Qui-Gon have for taking Jar Jar with him into the town?

Would you really have wanted him on the ship while they were trying to effect repairs?

Jerthanis
2008-02-05, 08:30 PM
Oh come on! How can they not do the "Luke! I am your father!" bit as a startling reveal, followed by the classic "Nooooooo!!!!!"?

Because we're all expecting it! They're specifically trying to avoid the material making their jokes for them, and the "I am your father/Nooooo" line has been parodied in every parody that has ever parodied. It's literally done to death and they've already done such a good job of not beating a dead horse with their jokes that I can't even imagine them not redoing the premise of that scene.

Rumda
2008-02-05, 09:07 PM
whats more likley is that they'll try to set it up but as it could be more or less the same party throughout the 6 movies the characters will ready know and just ignore it

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-07, 12:39 PM
So, Sally just invented the Big Bad by pulling a name out of nowhere, of course. I wonder what the DM's original plan for the main villain was. Maul or the actual Trade Federation guys, I guess.

Winterwind
2008-02-07, 01:32 PM
I love how, from this entire bunch, it's Sally who is the most concerned about roleplaying. :smallbiggrin:

As for the Father/Noooo thingy - c'mon, look at these people. What will they think at such a revelation? I think it's far more likely to be "Yes! I am the son of the badass villain! I am the protagonist/Chosen/whatever!". I doubt it will be a "Noooo!", but I could easily imagine a "YES!". :smallbiggrin:

TamerBill
2008-02-07, 01:43 PM
So, Sally just invented the Big Bad by pulling a name out of nowhere, of course.

Actually, Bibble mentioned Palpatine in episode 41.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-07, 02:38 PM
Huh. Well, spoon, I missed that strip. I guess this just means Sally's much better at getting information out of the GM than Jim is.

Still betting he sets up Maul as the BBEG, then has to improvise when they beat him early on a lucky crit (if that wasn't a Natural 20 at the climax of Phantom Menace, I don't know what is.) I just have less justification for it now.

EvilElitest
2008-02-09, 01:49 PM
My theory is, as the game goes on both the players and the DM mature, and by the time of the old series, the game will be more serous instead of comic
from
EE

Mewtarthio
2008-02-09, 02:14 PM
What'd be the point of that? We already have a serious version of Star Wars. It's called "Star Wars."

EricDerKonig
2008-02-09, 10:10 PM
Qui-gon Jim
or
Old Ben Kenobi

I'm betting there will be an interlude of several years between Episode III and episode IV, and a sassy teenaged Sally will play Princess Leia.

hanzo66
2008-02-12, 07:35 PM
Hmm... Seems that it's the PLAYER'S fault that Anakin became an important character. Otherwise he'd just be the local slaveboy.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-26, 08:30 AM
Is Anakin going to remain a DMPC/NPC? Right now, they have four people playing, and the rest are NPCs... Although Anakin later becomes a MAJOR NPC villian, he seemed to be prime PC material until the third movie.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-26, 05:42 PM
Hm. I wonder why the GM did that. Did he foresee the massive, town-levelling burnfest that would have escalated if he let Jim get his lightsaber laser sword out? If so, he's smarter than the average comedy GM. And most of the people I've gamed under.

Mewtarthio
2008-02-26, 06:09 PM
Is Anakin going to remain a DMPC/NPC? Right now, they have four people playing, and the rest are NPCs... Although Anakin later becomes a MAJOR NPC villian, he seemed to be prime PC material until the third movie.

I'm guessing we'll see an exchange similar to the following:

JIM: "Okay, now I prick his finger for a blood sample."
Um... What for?
JIM: "Well, obviously, he's important! I bet he's a sorceror or something."
There are no sorcerors in this setting. This is a no-magic science fiction setting.
JIM: "Wait, what about my spells?"
"Powers." You draw on the Force to manifest "powers."
JIM: "Whatever. I send it over to Obi-Wan, so he can scan it for magic."
What? The Force is a mystical bond between all living creatures! You can't detect it with a blood test!
OBI-WAN: "Actually, you just said this was a magic-free setting. Therefore, the Force has to have some sort of mundane source, or it would be magical. Given our advanced technology, we could easily look at blood for byproducts of this mundane source."
Fine. You can run a... er, "midichlorian" test on the blood.
JIM: And? What sort of power does this kid have?
Your machines pick up absolutely nothing whatsoever.
JIM: My god!
There are no gods.
JIM: Sorry. My Force! Our scanners can't read him at all! That must mean his Force is off the charts! Clearly, this boy is important! I'm going to take him in and train him as my apprentice!
Sigh...

-----

This, naturally, will be followed by other blatant obstacles erected, such as the revelation that Anakin is a slave (No, you *can't* kidnap him! ...uh, he'll *explode* if you do!), the creation of the Jedi Council (Okay, but to train him, you'll have to take him to your bosses at the Jedi Council! And they say no!), and finally an attempt to arbitrarily kill him off (The boy hides in the cockpit of a nearby fighter. Suddenly, canopy closes, and the autopilot starts up the ship to send the helpless child hurtling towards a doomed space battle! ARTOO: "Excellent! A Force-Sensitive pilot will give me a +2 bonus on my Pilot checks! I climb into the droid slot!"). Alas, the poor GM will finally be battered into submission when Jim, his current character recently slain, announces his intention to take up "that awesome apprentice of mine" as a legacy character for the next campaign.

Jerthanis
2008-03-04, 12:04 PM
Whoa! A new player and she's playing... Shmi Skywalker? Really?

Isn't she in four scenes, counting her death scene in Episode 2? Huh, guess they introduced a new player just to have her drop out again. It's worth it though just for the line, "Your motivation is to help this handsome adventurer find some blasters."

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-06, 07:35 AM
I played a lot of computer RPGs, Dragon Warrior/Quest, Final Fantasy, etc, and I always wondered about the random "Go into someone's house, talk to them, then loot their chests and wardrobes!"

I never did that on tabletop games, but I guess other people do...

stm177
2008-03-06, 07:54 AM
Or, you loot the graveyard next to the church in town. Opening up every grave to see if the skeleton has an rings or whatever on it. I wonder what the local merchants think when you try to sell them Aunt Winnie's diamond ring.

stm177
2008-03-11, 08:58 AM
http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/episodes/0073.html

"Radio back with some taunts!" :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2008-03-11, 09:13 AM
I find it a bit strange how much the GM is talking to himself though (whenever NPCs are addressing other NPCs, basically). That's... weird.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-13, 11:46 AM
"Oh, I see. You're playing a morally complex and conflicted vigilante. This game has much more dramatic depth than I realized." :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-03-13, 12:40 PM
"Oh, I see. You're playing a morally complex and conflicted vigilante. This game has much more dramatic depth than I realized." :smallbiggrin:

"...I waste him with my crossbow!"

Edmundog
2008-03-13, 10:23 PM
I love how concerned Jim is with blasters. That's running gag gold. Hope it carries over into Anakin. (We can assume he's going to be Anakin, yeah?)

Re: Sally, my guess is she'll get tired of playing Jar Jar and want to be the Queen, then the Princess in the new trilogy. Ben will be Luke, Tim will be Han, and Pete will be Chewie. The new girl will show up again to play Lando, a character that will be hilarious with her confusion and empirical view of the other players' actions.

stm177
2008-04-01, 06:55 AM
Darn it, a cease and desist letter.

Turcano
2008-04-01, 07:09 AM
Darn it, a cease and desist letter.

I wonder, given today's date and all.

stm177
2008-04-01, 07:17 AM
Huh, good point :smallsigh:

Winterwind
2008-04-01, 07:19 AM
I wonder, given today's date and all.Still, nicely done by the authors. :smallbiggrin:

SnowballMan
2008-04-01, 07:19 AM
Okay, here's a question. Do they have April Fools day in Australia? It would seem to me that a cease and desist order would apply to past work as well. Yet the older strips are still able to be accessed.

Because if this isn't a trick... well, I will wait to rant and try to rally a call to arms until it's known for sure.

stm177
2008-04-01, 07:37 AM
I checked their forum, and all their members are saying it's a joke.

They got me good though. :smalleek:

someonenonotyou
2008-04-01, 07:58 AM
HAHAHAHA! that was funny ... ok not that funny

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-01, 08:43 AM
So what exactly makes the strip different from the regular Irregular Webcomic now?

But seriously, you'd have to be pretty dense to believe this. No offense.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-04-01, 10:09 AM
So what exactly makes the strip different from the regular Irregular Webcomic now?

Less lego. Only one storyline.

Wow, I've only found a couple of definite April Fool's Day comics in my List O' Lots O' Webcomics.

Gez
2008-04-01, 10:30 AM
Wow, I've only found a couple of definite April Fool's Day comics in my List O' Lots O' Webcomics.

Here's a few:
http://www.fantasycomic.com/
http://www.clanofthecats.com/
http://requiem.seraph-inn.com/viewcomic.php
http://www.shortpacked.com/
http://www.starslip.com/
http://wondermark.com/

The first of the list is, by far, the most elaborate one.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-01, 10:37 AM
Here's a few:
http://www.fantasycomic.com/
http://www.clanofthecats.com/
http://requiem.seraph-inn.com/viewcomic.php
http://www.shortpacked.com/
http://www.starslip.com/
http://wondermark.com/

The first of the list is, by far, the most elaborate one.

Schlock Mercenary (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/)

TigerHunter
2008-04-01, 12:13 PM
Schlock Mercenary (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/)
Hee. This morning I opened the tab and didn't check it for 5 minutes. Didn't get me!

Of course, I don't think I'm allowed to laugh if I wasn't even aware there was a joke...

SnowballMan
2008-04-02, 12:53 PM
But seriously, you'd have to be pretty dense to believe this. No offense.

How can you say something insulting and think that it won't be offensive? It was very offensive.

Considering how often LucasArts lawyers were sending out cease and desist notices at one point, this was entirely plausible. I also don't assume that traditions and practices in the United States are held by other countries. Even ones with common histories.

Gez
2008-04-02, 01:50 PM
LucasArts lawyers are no threat to DMM & co., they're not using footage from Star Wars games.

Winterwind
2008-04-04, 01:29 PM
Now that we can see both the "real" and the April Fool's version of this strip, I must say I am thoroughly impressed by how exactly the April Fool's version fits to the real one. They got every stance and angle perfectly right.

stm177
2008-04-12, 04:42 PM
http://irregularwebcomic.net/darthsanddroids/episodes/0086.html

If the DM decides to roll for Anakin's stats, want to bet that Anakin gets a ton of high rolls? Then when Qui-Gon bites it, Jim will want to play Anakin! :smallsmile:

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-05-11, 01:25 PM
And I thought I was the only one to "rinse out" all the ones on my D20's!

Probably a good thing... That whole race was a series of natural 20's, so those dice will probably end up bronzed!

lord_khaine
2008-05-11, 04:21 PM
of course, rolling out the ones is as much superstition as throwing bad dice in the freezer, or sacrificing cola for the Lord of Chance before an important roll.

Adumbration
2008-06-05, 11:06 AM
I have to say I've been thoroughly enjoying this webcomic. It's funny, it has a good plot, and it updates reasonably regularly. :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-06-05, 05:23 PM
I've been following this for awhile. I'd say it's a decent comic, but it simply pales in comparison to DM of the Rings, which is consistenly hilarious.

Flying Platypus
2008-06-14, 06:01 PM
The way I see it, Shimi exits the "game" and Padme enters, Qui-gon dies, Anikin becomes important. Jar-Jar leaves... Sally gets board? :smallfrown: Of course, being Darths & Droids, they will probably switch it up, but hey.
P.S. Darths & Droids is the best thing since Jedi (a type of cheese).

stm177
2008-06-14, 08:59 PM
A lot of the humor in DM of the Rings came from the dysfunctional group. The Darths and Droids group isn't as bad, so the humor doesn't come as easily.

sun_tzu
2008-07-04, 09:04 AM
"Jar Jar, you're a genius." (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0122.html)
This webcomic is awesome.

EponymousKid
2008-07-04, 05:42 PM
It's just so...

I mean, speaking as someone who's never played a single tabletop game ever, it's still hilarious.

Summon: Bigger Fish for the win.

The Extinguisher
2008-07-04, 05:53 PM
"Jar Jar, you're a genious" (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/)

I'm doing my part. What about you?

Also, I really want to make posters.

Winterwind
2008-07-06, 02:34 PM
I still continue to enjoy this far more than the DM of the Rings. This group of sympathetic people trying to have fun is much more appealing to me than the outworldly bad group of the DMotR.

"We're never coming back to this planet again in this campaign."
Heh. That's hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

EvilElitest
2008-07-06, 03:09 PM
I still continue to enjoy this far more than the DM of the Rings. This group of sympathetic people trying to have fun is much more appealing to me than the outworldly bad group of the DMotR.

"We're never coming back to this planet again in this campaign."
Heh. That's hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

1) Yeah, i feel this is more like a real group, and i like how the DM is trying to work things out. It isn't as funny, but more interesting
2) You know, i actually would most likely be better off if they never come back again
from
EE

Winterwind
2008-07-07, 10:22 AM
You know, i actually would most likely be better off if they never come back againWell... it would be funny to see how they managed to do that, but I'd still rather not have them do it (and don't think it's going to happen, either), because it would make the total length of this webcomic that much shorter. And I'd rather enjoy it for a looong time. :smallwink:

Stormthorn
2008-07-09, 05:14 PM
"Jar Jar, you're a genious"

Genius.

Im doing my part by making sure goodly picks up the right word somewhere on the page.

Also, posters of that would rock!

Kurald Galain
2008-07-10, 02:55 AM
It isn't as funny, but more interesting

That's definitely true.

Then again, I don't read webcomics for their "interestingness".

It also goes to show that Tolkien is a much, much better writer than Lucas.

Winterwind
2008-07-10, 12:21 PM
It also goes to show that Tolkien is a much, much better writer than Lucas.While that's undeniably, unquestionably true, what about the respective comics is indicative of that?

DomaDoma
2008-07-25, 09:46 AM
Honestly, this take on Valorum is the first thing I've really taken issue with in this comic. I mean, the devil-you-know vs. devil-you-don't thing serves as a pretty good plot structure, but I just think Valorum as a fairly corrupt politician whose actual policy is nonetheless not bad in and of itself has a bit more originality and applicability.

This is, mind you, coming from someone who considered the vote of no confidence to be one of the best parts of the movie.

SirSigfried
2008-08-05, 06:48 AM
"A master of understatement you are."

That was brilliant. :smallwink:

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-08-09, 07:58 AM
This strip (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0137.html) certianly sums up how I felt about this scene when I saw it for the first time.

Anakin was all "guts and glory," but for some reason Yoda decided that Anakin was destined to become bad news for the Jedi. Nah, George Lucas didn't force the story down the road, it flowed naturally. Sure it did. Love that I'm not the only one who came away with the same impression from the movie.

Jayngfet
2008-08-12, 10:53 AM
I'd vote for him again. Four more years, four more years!

SirSigfried
2008-08-12, 04:35 PM
Why do I get the feeling that Valorum's next line is going to be as follows.

"Resistance is Futile."

Jayngfet
2008-08-15, 08:20 PM
Hmm, I wonder if they're going to do the clone wars?

T-O-E
2008-08-16, 06:51 AM
I wonder how they'll handle the other movies.

Kurald Galain
2008-08-16, 09:36 AM
Hmm, I wonder if they're going to do the clone wars?

IIRC the intent is to cover all six movies, chronologically.

(and, presumably, with some new players later on)

Knaight
2008-08-16, 01:09 PM
Well, they are going to need new players. Currently they have Sally(Jar-Jar), Annie(Anakin), Ben(Obi-Wan), Pete(R2), and Jim(Qui-gon)

But later they are going to need R2(Pete), Luke(Ben), C3PO, Han(Jim), Chewie(Sally), and Leia(Annie), meaning that they need 1 more person. Of course the people are guessing.

Kurald Galain
2008-08-16, 05:36 PM
Of course the people are guessing.

I would guess differently. For instance, Sally could feasibly grow up in the meantime.

But since all the characters are flat stereotypes, it doesn't really matter how you divide them.

Winterwind
2008-08-17, 06:54 AM
Also, it's quite possible that some character or other turns out to be an NPC tagging along with the PCs, or maybe a cohort or something of that sort. Not saying I think it will turn out this way, but it's a possibility.

Gez
2008-08-17, 09:49 AM
If Ben becomes Luke, then Sally would become Leia. For the whole "I always knew you were my brother" thing in ROTJ. (Plus, what little girl doesn't want to be a princess?)

Knaight
2008-08-17, 11:43 AM
Maybe, but Jim is probably going to take Han, leaving C3PO and Chewie, and Annie is the roleplayer, who is somewhat less likely to end up in either of these roles. That said I could see Sally taking 3PO.

Also new favorite line "Remedial course in Jedi ethics you need".

SmartAlec
2008-08-17, 11:48 AM
"Master, if only you didn't keep randomly looting and killing, you would BE on the Council!"

I'll be amused if the citizens whom Qui-Gon sold all those blasters to in order to raise betting money eventually become Jabba's gang.

Winterwind
2008-08-17, 12:02 PM
Now that I think about it, I could see Chewie ending up as not a proper character but a class feature instead... Han's Animal Companion. :smallwink:

Or Pete arrives at the conclusion (presumably, through some fairly hilarious event) that not being able to communicate is a bigger disadvantage than he thought, and tries to buy it away, with C-3PO being the in-game representation of the experience points Pete invests to get rid of said disadvantage.

Adumbration
2008-08-17, 12:06 PM
Or Pete arrives at the conclusion (presumably, through some fairly hilarious event) that not being able to communicate is a bigger disadvantage than he thought, and tries to buy it away, with C-3PO being the in-game representation of the experience points Pete invests to get rid of said disadvantage.

Maybe he takes something along the lines of Obtain *familiar*? Anyway, it's good to know that there's still so much material they will use. It's good to have a regular, long-term webcomic.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-08-17, 04:48 PM
We interrupt this discussion to give you my opinion on the latest comic.

That was entertaining. Reality finally hits. When I DM the first time around, if there's any sort of overseeing organization around, I will ensure that a scene like that happens. "So...you systematically destroyed two entire villages...looted a government official's house...had...negotiations...with his ambassador..."

"Aggressive negotiations!"

T-O-E
2008-08-20, 10:59 AM
Speculation: The Dm's a young George Lucas. Either that or his name's George.

Plus, imagine if Darths and Droids jumped the shark as soon as they reached "A new hope".

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-20, 11:07 AM
I must say, this makes more sense that the canon in places...

Turcano
2008-08-20, 05:12 PM
I must say, this makes more sense that the canon in places...

Not like that's hard or anything.

Jayngfet
2008-08-20, 05:33 PM
Not like that's hard or anything.

They really did try that in the expanded universe, it didn't turn out well.

T-O-E
2008-08-21, 08:41 AM
I can see Han Solo's character (Probably Jim) "dying" in The Empire Strikes Back after being frozen in carbonite and then not wanting to re-roll, instead chooses to take over the character of Lando.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-21, 04:08 PM
Chocolate dice...

T-O-E
2008-08-21, 07:00 PM
How many comics can be made out of the entire series?

DraPrime
2008-08-22, 03:22 PM
A lot. And this explains so much about Qui Gon's player.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-22, 04:19 PM
How many comics can be made out of the entire series?I dunno, how far into the film are they? Half way? That is about an hour in. 143 strips so far so that is about 2.4 strips per minute. The films have a total running time of 790 minutes. So that would be 1896 strips. Of course that is based on the ever erroneous "if current trends continue." Never the less it is quite possible that web comic could go for 1600-2000 strips. That is more than a decade at the rate of 3 strips a week, 12 years at the top end of the range.

Storm Bringer
2008-08-22, 04:19 PM

Actaully, we've already seen this happening during the build up to the podrace, where C-3PO has been acting as a NPC mouth for pete/R2-D2 to let him speak IC. Personally, I think that's likey to continue.

as to future cast lists, I mostly aggree with Knaight about the roles. I think 3PO will remain a NPC, mind.

what I'm intrested in is who does Jim start playing when Qui-Gon is killed? He can't exactly leave the group (it'd disrupt the dynamics of the party, and deprives the writers of an useful comedic tool), but I can't think, off the top of my head, what major character he'd take over, save padme.

TigerHunter
2008-08-22, 05:03 PM
what I'm intrested in is who does Jim start playing when Qui-Gon is killed? He can't exactly leave the group (it'd disrupt the dynamics of the party, and deprives the writers of an useful comedic tool), but I can't think, off the top of my head, what major character he'd take over, save padme.
I was going to say that I thought they'd just have Jim play Anakin and just move the girl who's currently playing Annie to Padme.

Then I realized that Jim playing a girl while flirting with a girl who's pretending to be a boy opens up far more joke opportunities. :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-08-23, 08:39 PM
I was going to say that I thought they'd just have Jim play Anakin and just move the girl who's currently playing Annie to Padme.

Then I realized that Jim playing a girl while flirting with a girl who's pretending to be a boy opens up far more joke opportunities. :smallbiggrin:

He might actually refuse to do it because "it makes him feel gay" or something like that.

TigerHunter
2008-08-23, 08:59 PM
He might actually refuse to do it because "it makes him feel gay" or something like that.
Which would make it all the funnier if he ends up doing it anyway.

DraPrime
2008-08-24, 07:57 AM
That would be funny

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-24, 08:51 AM
Actually, what would be funny is if Jim take-over Padme as a character. And he has a relation with Anakin's. A girl playing a man with a man playing a girl. Talk about cross-genre.

SmartAlec
2008-09-03, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to Ben's likely epic rant in Episode 4, when events and the party finally conspire to kill the character he's kept alive for three and a half episodes.

hamishspence
2008-09-07, 03:39 PM
It is very, very funny: Have discovered it today, read whole lot, and am wondering whats in store in the future: do not know, but I bet it will be good.

Grey_Wolf_c
2008-09-07, 04:44 PM
I think Ben will take over Han after the death of Obi-wan. Until then, Han could just be the NPC that drives their ship. Remember that so far they have, on purpose, assigned the characters to players that are the exact opposite of the in-film characters. In-comic, Qui-gon is rash, R2D2 obnoxious, Jar-jar adorable and likeable, Anakin a good actress. Ben is the one that fits less well with the pattern, I admit, but otherwise the authors have actually said they are doing this.

So, when figuring out the players for future characters, the first step is to figure out the main characteristic of the character, and then see who doesn't fit it at all. Assuming I'm right, Han Solo, the rash space pirate, would be played by cool-guy, rule-following Ben. The timeline sort of fits, too, since Han starts taking an interest in doing things around the time Obi-wan dies. The cool-headed, intelligent Amidala would be Jim, and Anakin would be played by good actress Annie.

By the way, I'd say that Sally will be taking C3PO over once Jar-jar looses screen time in films 2 and 3. Forcing Pete to spend the rest of the films next to Sally, and having Sally be Pete's translator is just comedy gold that will write itself. Also, C3PO is intellectual and prissy, and Sally is definetely not.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf

Linkavitch
2008-09-07, 06:32 PM
Well, they are going to need new players. Currently they have Sally(Jar-Jar), Annie(Anakin), Ben(Obi-Wan), Pete(R2), and Jim(Qui-gon)

But later they are going to need R2(Pete), Luke(Ben), C3PO, Han(Jim), Chewie(Sally), and Leia(Annie), meaning that they need 1 more person. Of course the people are guessing.

Well, of course C-3P0 is going to be Chester. But, short term, I hope that Jim switches to Obiwan, and Ben switches to Anakin, and Annie switches to Padme.

Logic
2008-09-08, 05:16 PM
Well, of course C-3P0 is going to be Chester. But, short term, I hope that Jim switches to Obiwan, and Ben switches to Anakin, and Annie switches to Padme.
Why? Nothing seems to indicate that would be prudent. The players are not likely to swap characters, and I see no reason why they should. It wouldn't make any sense anyway. When was the last time your players swapped characters, even for a single session?
Unless you want a girl to play a girl character, which is not necessary.

T-O-E
2008-09-09, 01:50 AM
Oh, and they've added an X-men screencap comic to the chain. It's right after Notes and Nazis.

Kyeudo
2008-09-09, 04:29 PM
Maybe Pete will move to a combat twinked Wookie and Sally will take over R2 once Jar-Jar fades away.

Sholos
2008-09-09, 05:21 PM
Oh, and they've added an X-men screencap comic to the chain. It's right after Notes and Nazis.

Links to both, please!

Gez
2008-09-09, 06:40 PM
Links to both, please!

The chain starts here (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0050.html). Read the commentary.

Adumbration
2008-09-11, 09:26 AM
Heh heh. I like it.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-11, 09:37 AM
The four basic snack groups:
sugar, salt, fat, and caffeine. Time to plug the non-existent product that started as a thought experiment with a friend of mine to see if you could sell a product based enterly on the size of the warning label.

Baconade.

Baconade covers all four of the categories. Caffeinated, sweetened, carbonated, liquefied bacon, in a bottle.

Little_Rudo
2008-09-11, 09:39 AM
Oh, I got it! Jim's going to switch to Padme to roleplay his seduction skills!

chiasaur11
2008-09-11, 01:15 PM
The four basic snack groups:
sugar, salt, fat, and caffeine. Time to plug the non-existent product that started as a thought experiment with a friend of mine to see if you could sell a product based enterly on the size of the warning label.

Baconade.

Baconade covers all four of the categories. Caffeinated, sweetened, carbonated, liquefied bacon, in a bottle.

I'd try it. If it lived up to its potential, it would become a staple of my diet.

But how would you make up for the lack of crunchyness?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-11, 01:23 PM
I'd try it. If it lived up to its potential, it would become a staple of my diet.

But how would you make up for the lack of crunchyness?

Baconade bars. Baconade made thicker by removing water and adding sugar and baked into a biscuit bar.

ChowGuy
2008-09-11, 01:31 PM
Baconade bars. Baconade made thicker by removing water and adding sugar and baked into a biscuit bar.

Woudn't that be Baconola then?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-11, 01:36 PM
Woudn't that be Baconola then?

We don't want the lawyers to get angry with us untill they have been eating and drinking baconade for a few years and can't get annoyed without having a cardiac arrest.

Sholos
2008-09-11, 08:41 PM
The chain starts here (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0050.html). Read the commentary.

The link on that page goes to Wands and Warts, but I can't find any of the other pages for it. Are there any other pages? If so, could you provide a link to the first page of it? Thanks.

darkblade
2008-09-11, 08:44 PM
The link on that page goes to Wands and Warts, but I can't find any of the other pages for it. Are there any other pages? If so, could you provide a link to the first page of it? Thanks.

In the commentary for Wands & Warts there is another link about Sound of Music which takes you to Notes & Nazis on that page's commentary there is a link about X-men and thats the end of the line.

Fri
2008-09-11, 08:45 PM

Read the wands and wart again.

The Comic Irregulars exist and are making a screencap comic based on The Sound of Music.

Don't forget to read the cast page on each parody.

Hillarious. Basically all game have the same cast.

LeonardQuirm
2008-09-12, 11:05 AM
Personally I think the X-Men one is excellent - I'd love to see them do a full version of it either alongside or (a long while from now!) after Darths and Droids finishes...

I must admit, Darths and Droids just isn't as funny for me as DM of the Rings was (which I only read once it was finished, thanks to DMM on Irregular Webcomic). Like Irregular Webcomic, a lot of this strikes me as slightly more clever than it is funny. But I love the fact they're trying to do something different with it, and trying to develop the characters behind it in an interesting story. Yesterday's was great, and I'm looking forward to where it'll lead.

I'm also looking forward to watching Episode 1 for the first time since the comic started, after they've finished with it...

Sholos
2008-09-12, 04:53 PM
Read the wands and wart again.

Don't forget to read the cast page on each parody.

Hillarious. Basically all game have the same cast.

Awww.... I wanted to see all those movies done. They would've been hilarious.

ericgrau
2008-09-12, 08:19 PM

Don't forget to check the FAQ, cast of characters, commentary, 49 fake episode names, etc. Wow. All for only 1 spoof episode of each.

EDIT: Ninja'd by an entire day. I need to read more.

T-O-E
2008-09-13, 09:12 AM
Can't wait for comic 200. Wonder what they'll do then?

Let's hope the comic irregulars can eventually do an x-men screencap comic eventually.

Incidentally, how would one go about making a screen-cap comic without dvds/videos?

Ravens_cry
2008-09-14, 02:37 AM
I am no Star Wars fan, but I like Darths and Droids. It doesn't send me into uncontrollable hoots at regular intervals,(though it has happened once or twice) but the characters a likable ,and people are not complete jerks, yet they have distinct personalities. It has an ernest yet fumbling quality that is quite endearing. I especially liked the part when they thanked the DM for the sunset. While I have not DM'ed I have done chat room role play, and have been complemented on my description skills, so I know how tough it is.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-14, 06:44 PM
It's true, Gunguns only make sense as the product of the imagination of a little girl.

LeonardQuirm
2008-09-15, 03:45 AM
Don't forget to check the FAQ, cast of characters, commentary, 49 fake episode names, etc. Wow. All for only 1 spoof episode of each.

EDIT: Ninja'd by an entire day. I need to read more.

To be fair, Fri's post only mentioned the cast page - until yours I hadn't thought to look at the archive and FAQ page of each. And all I can say is...oh dear.

Well, that, and the fact I absolutely cracked up at the titles of the individual comics in Notes and Nazis...

(Plus the bit in the FAQ for it saying "After we've done this movie, the logical progression would be onto My Fair Lady...[We didn't do that first] Because The Sound of Music has better songs")

Liriel
2008-09-16, 01:50 PM
I was going to ask if anyone knew what the Notes & Nazis, Wands & Warts, and Mutants & Miscreants were. Are they just Easter Egg type fun gags or are they future plans? I'd love to see them all now!

chiasaur11
2008-09-17, 12:36 PM
I was going to ask if anyone knew what the Notes & Nazis, Wands & Warts, and Mutants & Miscreants were. Are they just Easter Egg type fun gags or are they future plans? I'd love to see them all now!

They're one off gags.

Go to the 50th strip, click the Harry Potter comic link, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-17, 03:18 PM
One thing that bugs me about the Mutants & Miscreants comic is that Jim and Ben are actually playing the correct characters, as opposed to the ones opposite their personalities. I suppose it was necessary for that comic to work, of course, but it's a bit of a change.

Also, I like the punchline on this latest one. The "what's an X?" running gag has been paying off dividends lately.

Gez
2008-09-18, 06:31 AM
Also, I like the punchline on this latest one. The "what's an X?" running gag has been paying off dividends lately.

The way it's been reversed from the usual scenario (Jim answering something randomly) is great, too. And I like Ben's cynical reply as well. Yes, it is a kind of fishing lure.

John Campbell
2008-09-19, 03:03 PM
Why? Nothing seems to indicate that would be prudent. The players are not likely to swap characters, and I see no reason why they should. It wouldn't make any sense anyway. When was the last time your players swapped characters, even for a single session?
I was in a game a while back where our PCs got mind-swapped by a trap, and we basically traded character sheets around. I was glad to get switched back, though it did give my 20-Str 18-Dex 15-Con half-orc ranger, who ended up in the 8-Str 12-Dex 10-Con human cleric's body, first-hand experience to fuel his rants about how much humans suck compared to the powerful Uruk-hai.

stm177
2008-09-21, 09:40 PM
6 people a day! Its a small price for freedom!

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-22, 05:02 AM
6 people a day is 2190 a year, less than the number of people we scenetnece to death each year on this planet.

2 birds, 1 stone?

Paragraph
2008-09-22, 10:10 AM
This was great, I love Qui-Gon's player :smallbiggrin:.

By the way, I'm an avid fan of both Star Wars in general and Darths & Droids in particular, espacially since I hate the Episodes like the authors do - a match made in heaven, in my opinion.

Simon

Sholos
2008-09-22, 02:03 PM
6 people a day is 2190 a year, less than the number of people we scenetnece to death each year on this planet.

2 birds, 1 stone?

Well, that's assuming the same length of a year on Naboo. But the point stands.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-22, 02:14 PM
Well, that's assuming the same length of a year on Naboo.

No, no it doesn't.

Every 365 days we execute about 3000 people as a planet (confirmed figure, real figure may well be much higher). 6 people a day over 365 days is 2190. The length of the year is immaterial.

FoE
2008-09-22, 03:01 PM
Mind you, we don't sentence people to be eaten alive. :smalltongue:

Paragraph
2008-09-22, 03:27 PM
Mind you, we don't sentence people to be eaten alive. :smalltongue:
Dead is dead, HOW they died will never be known if all of their bones mysteriously vanish (in the Gungans' bellys).

Actually, they are using a standardized year based on the Coruscant-year all over the galaxy in Star Wars - I don't know the actual term for it, having read all of my books in German, though.

Simon

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-22, 03:36 PM
Like I said, both my figures are over 365 days. If the year is 450 days or 17, it doesn't matter because as they scale one will remain in the same ratio to the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TigerHunter
2008-09-22, 03:45 PM
Like I said, both my figures are over 365 days. If the year is 450 days or 17, it doesn't matter because as they scale one will remain in the same ratio to the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course, then we need to get into how long the day is on Naboo... :smalltongue:

Paragraph
2008-09-22, 03:59 PM
Of course, then we need to get into how long the day is on Naboo... :smalltongue:
I think they measure it from sunrise to sunset, though there COULD be a problem with the Gungans, as they live so deep under water that they won't know when the sun comes up. Probably more like "I'm hungry - therefor it's noon - let's feast on some humans!"

Simon

DraPrime
2008-09-30, 08:14 AM
Heh, the new one has a nice Tin Tin reference.

Mr. Scaly
2008-10-10, 12:40 PM
I have gained new respect for the B1. Now I'm a bit torn on who I want to win. The Gungans need a chant of their own to balance it out.

Fri
2008-10-12, 07:35 PM
"Don't worry kid, I'll drive"

Badass R2D2. Maybe this version of R2D2 is annoying, but you gotta agree that he's one badass little droid.

Jerthanis
2008-10-13, 01:39 AM
"Don't worry kid, I'll drive"

Badass R2D2. Maybe this version of R2D2 is annoying, but you gotta agree that he's one badass little droid.

This is a version of R2 I wouldn't mind besting Battle Droids by lighting them on fire... but it's a version of R2 I'd gladly see fall into a trash compactor and die, so it's a half dozen of one and six of the other.

hamishspence
2008-10-13, 08:16 AM
Yes; he's reminiscent of Belkar in OOTS or Kev in Zogonia. But, at the same time, fun (sarky, obnoxious) but fun.

Castel
2008-10-16, 04:26 AM
Wow, this is pretty good.

But whats the deal with the "Wands and Warts"(Harry Potter) and "Mutants and...something else that started with M"(X-men) are those really being done, or it was some sort of 1 comic joke?

sun_tzu
2008-10-16, 05:57 AM
Wow, this is pretty good.

But whats the deal with the "Wands and Warts"(Harry Potter) and "Mutants and...something else that started with M"(X-men) are those really being done, or it was some sort of 1 comic joke?

Elaborate joke. (They even have a fake FAQ and cast page for each!)

EvilElitest
2008-10-16, 08:24 PM
if they can use this they are either really good or really stupid. And if they still have their limbs then they must be really really badass
from
EE

EvilElitest
2008-10-16, 09:35 PM
I dunno... I don't think she could really play Padme, who is kind of passive, and mostly there as a setpiece for Anakin's story, and there's the pregnancy (that might be cut entirely, since this story is supposed to be divergent from the movie plot, and Padme never "showed" in the movie)... but I think her playing Leia could work... maybe. It really depends on where they go with the story, since it's not going to follow the events of the movies exactly... they might even not make it a generational story about Anakin's children.

by that point Sally might have gotten older and is playing Leia as a teen
from
EE

Gez
2008-10-26, 06:23 AM
I love Captain Obvious' intervention. "It sounds like he's beeping in droid language!" Thank you, Ric Ollié. :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2008-11-06, 10:37 PM
I a few minutes, Qui-Gon will be dead :(

Gosh, it feels like it's just started just an hour ago...

TigerHunter
2008-11-06, 10:45 PM
I a few minutes, Qui-Gon will be dead :(

Gosh, it feels like it's just started just an hour ago...
Spoiler tags, man!

And yeah. It's already 1/6 over, or near enough. It makes me sad.

Jayngfet
2008-11-07, 01:15 AM
It's been nearly ten years, this is like me spoiling megaman legends. No worse, the EU says it, the movies say it, wierd al made a song around it. You want to keep "No ...I am you're father." down too? A comic like this hardly improves you're point.

FoE
2008-11-07, 01:19 AM
Here's another spoiler for you, TigerHunter: Darth Vader is actually Luke Skywalker's father! DUN DUN DUN!

Seriously though, Tiger, I don't think this is a shocker for anyone reading Darths and Droids. I mean, what person reading this comic hasn't seen the Phantom Menace? I think we can say it was his sled (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasHisSled) and call it a day.

T-O-E
2008-11-09, 01:09 PM
Qui-Gon is dead.
I didn't expect that.

TigerHunter
2008-11-09, 01:38 PM
Here's another spoiler for you, TigerHunter: Darth Vader is actually Luke Skywalker's father! DUN DUN DUN!

Seriously though, Tiger, I don't think this is a shocker for anyone reading Darths and Droids. I mean, what person reading this comic hasn't seen the Phantom Menace? I think we can say it was his sled (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItWasHisSled) and call it a day.
There's always the possibility.

alexey_r
2008-11-10, 11:04 AM

I didn't :smallbiggrin: I also read "DM of the Rings" without watching any LOTR movies after Fellowship (since I didn't like it at all).

John Campbell
2008-11-10, 01:22 PM
I have seen Phantom Menace, but I haven't seen Revenge of the Sith. After Phantom Menace, I decided I wasn't giving George Lucas any more of my money. Actually, I figure he owes me a refund.

The only reason I've seen Attack of the Clowns is that a friend rented it when I was at his house. I ended up playing more attention to playing Lego with his young daughter... her plot and acting were better.

But I don't care if anyone spoils the prequels. Lucas already did that.

Gez
2008-11-10, 02:13 PM
I have seen Phantom Menace, but I haven't seen Revenge of the Sith.

It's the best of the lot. Or the least worse, if you want.

Winterwind
2008-11-10, 02:18 PM
It's the best of the lot. Or the least worse, if you want.True, even though "Oh my God, what horrible deed have I done? How can I ever live with myself? Please, be my master, so I can do it again!" was pretty... no, hold that thought, that was actually pretty hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

MeklorIlavator
2008-11-10, 03:14 PM
True, even though "Oh my God, what horrible deed have I done? How can I ever live with myself? Please, be my master, so I can do it again!" was pretty... no, hold that thought, that was actually pretty hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Also,
ONLY THE SITH DEAL WITH ABSOLUTES!.

Trazoi
2008-11-10, 04:55 PM
True, even though "Oh my God, what horrible deed have I done? How can I ever live with myself? Please, be my master, so I can do it again!" was pretty... no, hold that thought, that was actually pretty hilarious. :smallbiggrin:
Spoilered because there's people who haven't seen Revenge of the Sith:
I found that to be the tipping point that made Revenge of the Sith worse than Return of the Jedi (and by extension, all of the original trilogy). The main thing the film had to get right was the transformation of Anakin into Darth Vader. Instead the whole sequence felt like a massive character derail, switching from a whiny slightly evil to whiny totally evil in an instant. Blech.
Still, it all makes good fodder for a webcomic!

If you haven't seen Revenge of the Sith and don't feel like it's worth the time, you can check out the five second summary on YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUiiaX4gX2w) Unlike most of the 5 second film summaries on YouTube I found this one to be amusingly accurate.

Deus_e_Machina
2008-11-10, 05:54 PM
Also,
ONLY THE SITH DEAL WITH ABSOLUTES!.

"Isn't... isn't that an absolu-"
"SHUT UP."

Adumbration
2008-11-14, 12:27 AM
Pure concentrated awesomeness... :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2008-11-16, 04:08 PM
Is it just me that want to read more about

Darth Maul, Private Investigator?

The panel where he says "An now you've ruined everything" is especially hillarious for me because I know that's not what he's actually saying/doing at that scene.

Gez
2008-11-16, 04:10 PM
By the way, the bit about the moon getting blown up... Does it really happen in the movie? Because if so, I have successfully blanked this stupidity out.

Fri
2008-11-16, 04:17 PM
Nah. Nothing like that happen at all.

Winterwind
2008-11-19, 09:40 AM
But the look on his face when he says that is so supremely goofy that I cannot fathom anything more fitting. I cannot even look at that panel without laughing! :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2008-11-21, 03:30 PM
I search the room!

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-02, 10:42 AM
PCs blaming PC allied NPCs for their own screw-ups? Say it ain't so! :smallwink:

On the other hand, we've got a DM monologuing, which is usually a death sentence for Bad Guy NPCs.

sun_tzu
2008-12-09, 07:14 AM
Ye gods, I love the Pete-Sally dynamic.
I can imagine Pete deciding to introduce her to another gaming table of his...

Unnamed player: "Er, Pete? We need to talk..."
Pete: "What?"
UP: "Look, when you said you wanted to bring in another player, we said it was OK. When you said she was a girl gamer, we even got entusiastic."
P: "Your point?"
UP: "...We kinda didn't expect you to have an 8-year-old girl join us."
P: "That 8-year-old girl is the best gamer I've ever met beside myself!"

battleburn
2008-12-10, 09:06 AM
NEWS: Has someone on the production team of Star Wars: The Clone Wars been reading Darths & Droids? You be the judge: watch particularly from 3:30 onwards. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZE3lQH45Zg)

hehe, summon bigger fish

T-O-E
2008-12-10, 11:09 AM
"The jedi has summoned a monster!"

Adumbration
2008-12-11, 10:21 AM
I definitely didn't see that one coming.

TigerHunter
2008-12-11, 10:52 AM
Now that's a plot twist. And it even makes sense!

Winterwind
2008-12-11, 11:01 AM
Sounds more like it would have been a plot twist, but Ben managed to avert it.

I wonder how many wars have been prevented by appealing to the need for cuteness of the warlord in question before. :smallbiggrin:

PhantomFox
2008-12-11, 11:52 AM
Always Beware the Cute Ones.

Adumbration
2008-12-14, 06:17 AM
This is getting scary.

Radar
2008-12-14, 09:14 AM
This is getting scary.
Fear leads to anger... :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-15, 09:24 AM
Anger leads to hate... (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0192.html)

I don't know why Annie is seducing Pete to wanton destruction, but I like it.

Winterwind
2008-12-15, 09:45 AM
On the other hand, it sure would be interesting, to say the least, if Vader was played by Sally... :smallamused:

EDIT: What the...? Where did the post I was responding to vanish to? :smallconfused:

Radar
2008-12-15, 11:24 AM
Anger leads to hate... (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0192.html)

I don't know why Annie is seducing Pete to wanton destruction, but I like it.

She is roleplaying a boy with serious (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0112.html) anger (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0136.html) issues (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0144.html). I would bet, that GM is giving Anne secret instructions regarding her PC. It might be lampshaded here (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0142.html).

Cybaster
2008-12-15, 02:11 PM
"But you weren't in a talkative mood."
"Attack! 19! Awesome!"

Jim and Legolas' player in the DM of the Rings would get along swimmingly, it seems; One's into (shooting in) parlays, and the other in aggressive negotiations. :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-12-19, 12:23 AM
Whenever anyone says that obi wan will kick ass.

FoE
2008-12-19, 12:32 AM
Farewell, Darth Maul! (sniff)

Fri
2008-12-19, 02:43 AM
Am I the only one that really want to read more Darth Maul: Private Investigator stuff?

Darth and droids spin off featuring Darth Maul, the hard boiled, self monologuing detective, meeting femme fatale and rescuing macguffins...

Too bad that can't be done. As a screenshot comic by the irregulars, I mean.

SnowballMan
2008-12-19, 06:43 AM
Too bad that can't be done. As a screenshot comic by the irregulars, I mean.

Sure they could. A little make-up, some black robes, judicious use of photoshop, and you could have D.M.P.I. : Case File.

Failing that, there has to be some games out there that feature Darth Maul as a playable character (Lego Star Wars comes to mind, and would be entirely appropriate for the Irregular crew).

The_Snark
2008-12-19, 05:10 PM
Am I the only one that really want to read more Darth Maul: Private Investigator stuff?

Nope, you're not. The comic in which he introduced himself was one of the funniest comics to me—not in a laugh-out-loud way, but in a wow-look-at-what-they're-doing-to-the-plot way. A lot of the comic's appeal is its take on the Star Wars plot (i.e. changing it completely while keeping most of the visuals).

Fri
2008-12-20, 02:51 AM
For me, it's when he pranced and said "You've ruined everything!"

that panel is so hillarious. 'Changing it completely while keeping most of the visuals' indeed.

T-O-E
2008-12-21, 09:56 PM
Qui-Gon is no more.

Fri
2008-12-21, 11:05 PM
Yes. That scene is way sadder here :smallfrown:

Linkavitch
2008-12-22, 12:03 PM
Poor Jim. But, hopefully, he will come back, somehow. . .

Gez
2008-12-23, 07:40 AM
He may be dead, but he won his last victory, arguing against the DM. :smallcool:

Radar
2008-12-23, 07:55 AM
He may be dead, but he won his last victory, arguing against the DM. :smallcool:
And against himself apparently. :smallwink:

T-O-E
2008-12-24, 05:19 PM
Only 4 more strips until we get a bonus one. Wonder what it'll be of?

ericgrau
2008-12-25, 01:29 PM
I wonder who Qui-Gon will be playing now. I mean, I can't think of any other characters that get decent combat time.

lord_khaine
2008-12-25, 02:30 PM
what about Amidala, she actuale gets to shot a lot of stuff.

Seonor
2008-12-25, 03:02 PM
what about Amidala, she actuale gets to shot a lot of stuff.

And he can hook up with Anns character.

TigerHunter
2008-12-25, 03:03 PM
And he can hook up with Anns character.
Which will drive Pete INSANE.

metagaia
2008-12-25, 03:06 PM
Jim will probably become the older Anakin, since Anakin has the same gung-ho style that Jim has. Annie will become Amadala, which fits because there might be an OOC romance that blooms in part 2.

Everything else will remain the same, though Ben will be more than a little smug to become the senior Cheddar Monk I imagine.