PDA

View Full Version : Pirates!

HolyDraconus
2020-08-30, 01:56 PM
i may be showing my age, but did they ever officially end Pirates of Dark Water? Would a reboot of it work today?

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-08-30, 02:49 PM
I don't think they officially ended it, I think it just got cancelled. :smallfrown:

Kitten Champion
2020-08-30, 04:47 PM
Here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn92HAbb-MI&ab_channel=ToyGalaxy) a fairly comprehensive history of the series.

As to a reboot, it doesn't seem very likely. As the early cancellation indicates the whole cross-media marketing push didn't really catch on. Sure, the animated series received some critical acclaim - especially in retrospect - but it's pretty questionable as to whether there's a groundswell of bankable nostalgia for it in the first place and the ambitious nature of the series itself as a D&D-esque epic adventure requires a degree of commitment to fulfilling a story-line that not even the original production was ultimately willing to pay for.

I mean, there are a lot more well-known and successful Hanna-Barbera properties that WB are currently interested in using.

Blackhawk748
2020-08-30, 05:06 PM
Here's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn92HAbb-MI&ab_channel=ToyGalaxy) a fairly comprehensive history of the series.

As to a reboot, it doesn't seem very likely. As the early cancellation indicates the whole cross-media marketing push didn't really catch on. Sure, the animated series received some critical acclaim - especially in retrospect - but it's pretty questionable as to whether there's a groundswell of bankable nostalgia for it in the first place and the ambitious nature of the series itself as a D&D-esque epic adventure requires a degree of commitment to fulfilling a story-line that not even the original production was ultimately willing to pay for.

I mean, there are a lot more well-known and successful Hanna-Barbera properties that WB are currently interested in using.

They could probably bring it back as just an animated series. Most people recall it favorably, and a high seas pirate adventure would probably go over well today

Kitten Champion
2020-08-30, 07:09 PM
They could probably bring it back as just an animated series. Most people recall it favorably, and a high seas pirate adventure would probably go over well today

Eh, "people" in this case would be adults in their late 30's, and a pretty niche group thereof. Convincing WB to remake a series for today's children who've never heard of it based on a record of being a short-lived and expensive market failure I think would be somewhat difficult.

There are some pretty big names from Hanna-Barbera studios, Dark Water isn't really one of them.

KillianHawkeye
2020-09-01, 02:04 PM
This show had a great theme song that I still remember to this day.

Willie the Duck
2020-09-01, 02:33 PM
Eh, "people" in this case would be adults in their late 30's, and a pretty niche group thereof. Convincing WB to remake a series for today's children who've never heard of it based on a record of being a short-lived and expensive market failure I think would be somewhat difficult.

There are some pretty big names from Hanna-Barbera studios, Dark Water isn't really one of them.

This falls right between when I was watching children's tv and when I was aiding in raising people who watched children's tv, so I am a perfect miss on brand awareness for this timeframe, yet I know about Animaniacs, Ducktales, Reboot, and all sorts of other 90s animated properties. This one, not so much.

Tvtyrant
2020-09-01, 02:40 PM
I watched and liked it as a kid, but I don't remember anything about it. I remember the plot of Reboot, like every Batman AS/X Men AS/Spiderman AS episode and Muppets/Fraggle Rock/Power Rangers. So either is was too complicated for kids or it was pretty generic.

Kareeah_Indaga
2020-09-01, 07:39 PM

All I know about is the animated series, so I'm going to agree with this. They're still making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after all, so it isn't like the subject matter is terribly obscure or unpopular.

HolyDraconus
2020-09-16, 10:14 AM
All I know about is the animated series, so I'm going to agree with this. They're still making Pirates of the Caribbean movies after all, so it isn't like the subject matter is terribly obscure or unpopular.

I completely forgot about the month long delays. I think that released today with a bit more time managing it could be looked on as favorable as batman beyond

Rogar Demonblud
2020-09-16, 01:45 PM
All I really remember is that the main character looked like someone tried to pull his skull apart when he was a kid. The cross between pirate themes and staving off ecological disaster should be an easy sell these days, though.