PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Druid MC

bksquish
2020-08-30, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some thoughts on a Circle of the Spore Druid base multiclass. I really like the idea of the melee nature necromancer from the Circle, but there are a couple weak spots in the base subclass I'm trying to fill for a character starting at level 10. I had two thoughts: a 1 level dip in Shadow Sorcerer, or a 2 level dip in Hexblade Warlock. And here's why:

The biggest drawbacks of the Spore Druid, to me, are the lack of access to the SCAG blade cantrips and low AC. I can take the level 4 Feat option for Magic Initiate to grab Green Flame Blade and/or Booming Blade as well as Mage Armor as a spell from the Wizard spell list, or I could MC into Sorcerer or Warlock. In keeping with my character's backstory, I think that Hexblade with specifically a Raven Queen patron could be really interesting for role play purposes, and the Shadow Sorcerer...fits well enough. Mechanically these are the pros/cons I have in my head for each:

Hexblade Warlock
Pros: Access to GFB/BB, Mage Armor via Eldritch Invocations, an extra Invocation for utility, access to level 1 Shield and Hex, access to Hexblade's Curse, 2 extra spell slots per short rest with Warlock spell list in general, roleplay potential

Cons: Lack of synergy in stats, 13 Charisma requirement (or if I start with Warlock, 13 Wisdom which is easier), Hex Warrior ability is basically ignored since I will use Shillelagh and a Quarterstaff, slower Druid spell progression, concentration heavy spells compete with Druid concentration spells

Shadow Sorcerer
Pros: Access to GFB/BB, Mage Armor as a level 1 spell, 1 other Sorcerer specific spell not on the druid list, 2 extra level 1 spell slots, Strenght of the Grave could be useful since I'll spend time in melee range

Cons: Again, no Charisma synergy, slightly slower spell progression, but starting at level 10 not too noticeable, doesn't mesh super great with my backstory, Strength of the Grave is Charisma based

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this. Worth the dips? Would it be better to just go full Druid and take Magic Initiate? Are there other MC options you might suggest instead? Thanks for any and all input!

GeoffWatson
2020-08-30, 04:48 PM
You'd need 13 Wis and 13 Cha regardless of which order you take the classes.