PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Has Completely Lost Their Minds

Bartmanhomer
2020-08-30, 10:18 PM
Netflix is going to released a new movie called Cuties next month and I saw the trailer and it was disgusting. The movie is about a pre-teen girl who wants to join a twerking team in embracing femininity and in her family honor. This movie is exploiting young children for disgusting stuff. It's very sickening. I don't want to post a link to the trailer. It takes a few seconds on Youtube for it. What was Netflix thinking about releasing this type of movie in their stream? :furious:

Peelee
2020-08-30, 10:32 PM
Yes, this was rather famously talked about for a little over a week now. The movie is apparently a criticism against the sexualization of minors. The only thing Netflix did wrong was advertise it in a misleading way, though that has very likely worked in their favor since now an enormous amount of people are aware of the movie who otherwise would not have been.

Bartmanhomer
2020-08-30, 10:35 PM
Yes, this was rather famously talked about for a little over a week now. The movie is apparently a criticism against the sexualization of minors. The only thing Netflix did wrong was advertised it in a misleading way, though that has very likely worked in their favor since now an enormous amount of people are aware of the movie who otherwise would not have been.

Well, I'm not sorry for getting completely enraged about it and they did a horrible job misleading the synopsis of the movie. :mad:

Jan Mattys
2020-08-30, 10:35 PM
I just learnt of this movie existence.
The trailer has 1.4 Million dislikes and 35k likes on youtube.

I just realized I must be some kind of monster because I didn't find it bad. :smalleek:
I mean, it's not a movie I am going to watch, but I am not outraged by what I see. It's a movie aimed at kids and seems to be focused on friendship building and bonding, and the struggles of doing what you like vs doing what your family expects of you. Pretty standard kids movies stuff.

It's true, the idea of an all-eleven years old dancing crew of young girls gives me some bad vibes (the "Sparkle Motion" in Donnie Darko kind of bad vibes) but honestly, isn't it a bit too early to judge the movie? In these cases the tone is everything, and the trailer tone doesn't seem overly sexualized to me.

Does anyone care to explain me where I'm wrong? (because apparently I am, judging by both Bartmanhomer's and the vast majority of youtuber's reaction).

Mystic Muse
2020-08-30, 10:42 PM
Netflix infamously advertised this poorly, and has potentially killed the career of the person who made it, because they advertised it as exactly what it's speaking out against, which is why there are so many people who have downvoted/disliked this.

KillianHawkeye
2020-08-30, 11:02 PM
Does anyone care to explain me where I'm wrong?

I think because it's about twerking, which is seen as an inherently sexual form of dancing. It's basically just shaking your butt, if I'm not mistaken.

BisectedBrioche
2020-08-31, 07:25 AM
Netflix infamously advertised this poorly, and has potentially killed the career of the person who made it, because they advertised it as exactly what it's speaking out against, which is why there are so many people who have downvoted/disliked this.

This. It's an originally French movie (titled "Mignonnes") by Maïmouna Doucouré (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AFmouna_Doucour%C3%A9), a Franco-Senegalese woman, based on her own experiences.

Netflix, in their infinite wisdom, decided to run an advertising campaign which presents it as the very thing its condemning, for shock value.

As with many things in life, they'll tank all the criticism while everyone behind the campaign sits safely and anonymously in their offices, while all the usual suspects aim their vitriol at the convenient scapegoat, and soak up the praise for being so "brave" with their advertising. Meanwhile, Doucouré is getting death threats and being accused of being a paedo.

Traab
2020-08-31, 07:37 AM
Sounds to me like they didnt mess up anything, they drummed up a TON of public attention, which is likely to make far more people watch than originally would have. By misleading what its about they got all the attention, then managed to get out its actual message to those millions of people so more are likely to watch it now. The actors and whatnot involved with this will likely see a surge in negative attention but that will die out, more or less, people are idiots after all, when the actual product is seen, and if its popular enough it will get them even more work in the future.

Fyraltari
2020-08-31, 07:50 AM
Yes, this was rather famously talked about for a little over a week now. The movie is apparently a criticism against the sexualization of minors. The only thing Netflix did wrong was advertise it in a misleading way, though that has very likely worked in their favor since now an enormous amount of people are aware of the movie who otherwise would not have been.

Yup, engineering a controversy around one's product is a popular marketing tactic these days.

Eldan
2020-08-31, 10:40 AM
I just realized I must be some kind of monster because I didn't find it bad. :smalleek:
I mean, it's not a movie I am going to watch, but I am not outraged by what I see. It's a movie aimed at kids and seems to be focused on friendship building and bonding, and the struggles of doing what you like vs doing what your family expects of you. Pretty standard kids movies stuff.

It's very much not aimed at kids. It's a French movie about the harmful effects of oversexualizing children, written by a woman who was disgusted at seeing a dancing pole at a child beauty competition. The original message of the movie is more or less "this is wrong and horrible. Don't do this to kids".

Then Netflix apparently decided to turn this around with a very misleadingly cut trailer to "look how cool these kids are, they are all such good friends and are using dancing to escape their overbearing conservative parents who hate fun."

Jan Mattys
2020-08-31, 10:56 AM
It's very much not aimed at kids. It's a French movie about the harmful effects of oversexualizing children, written by a woman who was disgusted at seeing a dancing pole at a child beauty competition. The original message of the movie is more or less "this is wrong and horrible. Don't do this to kids".

Then Netflix apparently decided to turn this around with a very misleadingly cut trailer to "look how cool these kids are, they are all such good friends and are using dancing to escape their overbearing conservative parents who hate fun."

I understand.
Just so I know: was I supposed to get all that from the trailer, or am I justified in not finding the trailer horrible, considering that was literally the first time I heard about the movie?

Rogar Demonblud
2020-08-31, 11:17 AM
No, you aren't supposed to know the movie is the opposite of what Netflix is advertising it as. That's kind of the point of deceptive advertising. And Netflix is looking at charges over this in a few places because of that, which gives you an idea of how pissed people are.

And traab, you are very wrong. The is quite a bit of pressure on Netflix right now to completely pull the film, which means nobody watches it. And besides the death threats to Doucoure several of the girls in the film are getting stalked and propositioned, because of course they like this. That will not just magically blow over or fail to leave a scar.

Peelee
2020-08-31, 11:39 AM
And traab, you are very wrong. The is quite a bit of pressure on Netflix right now to completely pull the film, which means nobody watches it.

Which would mean that nobody watches it on Netflix. They are not the only distribution platform. And it hasn't been pulled yet.

The Glyphstone
2020-08-31, 11:48 AM
I'm suddenly reminded of the 2006 film Little Miss Sunshine, where a little girl performing a striptease/burlesque performance at a beauty pageant is the punchline.

Callos_DeTerran
2020-08-31, 01:09 PM

Which would mean that nobody watches it on Netflix. They are not the only distribution platform. And it hasn't been pulled yet.

Considering contract disputes might keep it from being aired elsewhere if Netflix does pull it, that means the only way to watch the movie would be to pirate it which means it will not make revenue back and be considered a flop.

Talakeal
2020-08-31, 01:17 PM
Netflix is going to released a new movie called Cuties next month and I saw the trailer and it was disgusting. The movie is about a pre-teen girl who wants to join a twerking team in embracing femininity and in her family honor. This movie is exploiting young children for disgusting stuff. It's very sickening. I don't want to post a link to the trailer. It takes a few seconds on Youtube for it. What was Netflix thinking about releasing this type of movie in their stream? :furious:

From what I hear, this is exactly how the movie is supposed to make you feel.

LaZodiac
2020-08-31, 05:59 PM
Sounds to me like they didnt mess up anything, they drummed up a TON of public attention, which is likely to make far more people watch than originally would have. By misleading what its about they got all the attention, then managed to get out its actual message to those millions of people so more are likely to watch it now. The actors and whatnot involved with this will likely see a surge in negative attention but that will die out, more or less, people are idiots after all, when the actual product is seen, and if its popular enough it will get them even more work in the future.

Yup, engineering a controversy around one's product is a popular marketing tactic these days.

Contrary to popular belief, any publicity is not good publicity.

Any of the people who would WANT to watch this because of the awful trailers is... not going to be the people you want your documentary. People who you WANT to watch it will be immediately repulsed by the backlash from the trailer or the trailer itself. The people whoo are smart enough to realize this is Netflix ****ing up the advertisement for a good documentary... are the people who are already well aware of the things you are against and thus likely won' watch it because they probably already have. At best they'll do their part to educate people into watching it.

So yeah, if they had advertised it normally they'd have gotten far more publicity, and anyone who knows anything about marketing would know that. The reason they made the trailers so bad is because they are either malicious or stupid, period.

Tvtyrant
2020-08-31, 06:07 PM
I don't quite understand the controversy? The trailer is absolutely generic.

Lurkmoar
2020-08-31, 06:12 PM
For what it's worth, the original French poster for Mignonnes had the cast coming up a road with shopping bags in skyward arms.

The Netflix poster has them in their dancing get ups in... uh, provocative and considering their age, inappropriate poses.

It's like the people that okayed it watched the movie and thought to themselves that the dancing girls were the best part, missing "the over sexualization of children is bad" point. I'd link the comparison image, but I feel like that would violate a board rule or something.

Bartmanhomer
2020-08-31, 06:14 PM
I don't quite understand the controversy? The trailer is absolutely generic.

The controversy that it's exploiting the sexualization of children. {scrubbed}

This is one movie that I'm not going to do a movie review on it. I don't care how entertaining and good that the movie is because there's nothing good about exploiting kids' sexualization! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Peelee
2020-08-31, 06:15 PM
Considering contract disputes might keep it from being aired elsewhere if Netflix does pull it, that means the only way to watch the movie would be to pirate it which means it will not make revenue back and be considered a flop.

Considering the movie is not a Netflix production and they are only a distribution vehicle, then it could hardly be considered a flop if it was never released in the first place.

This is one movie that I'm not going to do a movie review on it. I don't care how entertaining and good that the movie is because there's nothing good about exploiting kids' sexualization!

The movie is explicitly against child sexualization.

Fyraltari
2020-08-31, 06:22 PM
Contrary to popular belief, any publicity is not good publicity.

Any of the people who would WANT to watch this because of the awful trailers is... not going to be the people you want your documentary.
From a marketing perspective, there are no "people you don't want to see your movie". As the saying goes, "money has no smell."

People who you WANT to watch it will be immediately repulsed by the backlash from the trailer or the trailer itself. The people whoo are smart enough to realize this is Netflix ****ing up the advertisement for a good documentary... are the people who are already well aware of the things you are against and thus likely won' watch it because they probably already have. At best they'll do their part to educate people into watching it.

So yeah, if they had advertised it normally they'd have gotten far more publicity, and anyone who knows anything about marketing would know that. The reason they made the trailers so bad is because they are either malicious or stupid, period.
What they're banking on is most likely that people would defend the movie by pointing out that it's actually against the sexualization of children and so create an argument over the internet, pushing people to watch it to make up their mind about it (or, more cynically, to gather ammunition for the next round of Internet shouting match).

The controversy that it's exploiting the sexualization of children. {scrub the post, scrub the quote}

This is one movie that I'm not going to do a movie review on it. I don't care how entertaining and good that the movie is because there's nothing good about exploiting kids' sexualization! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:
But, as people have said, the movie is denouncing the sexualization/exploitation of children and against those practices.

Bartmanhomer
2020-08-31, 06:23 PM
Considering the movie is not a Netflix production and they are only a distribution vehicle, then it could hardly be considered a flop if it was never released in the first place.

The movie is explicitly against child sexualization.
Well they did a very bad job at that by misleading. My apologies if I was very rude to Tvtyrant earlier. :frown:

Tvtyrant
2020-08-31, 06:59 PM
Well they did a very bad job at that by misleading. My apologies if I was very rude to Tvtyrant earlier. :frown:

No worries, I'm not offended. I'm glad the movie is attacking sexualizing children, even if the trailer did a bad job conveying it.

Bartmanhomer
2020-08-31, 07:06 PM
No worries, I'm not offended. I'm glad the movie is attacking sexualizing children, even if the trailer did a bad job conveying it.

Well, I'm glad. I'm still not sure if I want to watch this movie and do a movie review on it because it's very disturbing for me but I'm glad that I have a clear understanding what this movie is about. :eek:

Blackhawk748
2020-08-31, 07:12 PM

It's rated TV MA, so it's NOT for kids.

Man on Fire
2020-08-31, 11:35 PM
For the record, 4chan's tv board preemptively made posting screenshots from this movie an offense worth permaban. Netflix screwed up so much even that hellsite was disgusted by it.

GentlemanVoodoo
2020-09-01, 01:56 PM
From the trailer I first thought this looked like a dance crew movie. However, there are two instances in the trailer where you see the presumed lead and the one girl ironing her hair in some very tight leather pants. Further nearly every scene has the children in crop-top shirts in the trailer. I see many say this is suppose to attacking sexualizing children but I fail to see how. Can some one please explain this? From what I am noticing this looks like Netflix is promoting some very inapprpriate ideas regarding children. Especially young girls whom per the trailer I gather are between 11-14.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-09-01, 02:18 PM
Netflix is lying about what the movie is about, creating one of the most dishonest trailers in the last several years.

Peelee
2020-09-01, 02:19 PM
From the trailer I first thought this looked like a dance crew movie. However, there are two instances in the trailer where you see the presumed lead and the one girl ironing her hair in some very tight leather pants. Further nearly every scene has the children in crop-top shirts in the trailer. I see many say this is suppose to attacking sexualizing children but I fail to see how. Can some one please explain this? From what I am noticing this looks like Netflix is promoting some very inapprpriate ideas regarding children. Especially young girls whom per the trailer I gather are between 11-14.

The movie is against sexualizing children. The trailer is not the movie. The trailer is misleading and makes it appear to be sexualizing children.

Willie the Duck
2020-09-01, 02:28 PM
For this film, it seems like an accidental sabotage by Netflix. I've seen similar things happen (Diablo Cody's post-Juno effort, Jennifer's Body, was a horror thriller focusing on a rape victim, but no one knew that because the advertising campaign leaned into sexploitation tropes), but falsely implying a pedophilic narrative onto a film that purports the opposite message seems, if not a new low, certainly something that someone should rethink.

Everything I've ever heard about Netflix corporate culture indicates that it is something of a massive dumpster fire of dysfunction, where people are encouraged to directly thwart the efforts of those around them to get ahead. I can imagine someone thinking that pushing the envelope was the only way to succeed in that role, and the voices that might normally say, 'this is a really bad idea' were utterly useless because they'd been raising that alarm over everything that was going on for years on end. Not that that excuses anything, merely that I understand how such things might happen in an environment such as it supposedly is.

I know American Apparel clothing brand rather infamously 'accidentally' creates a racist or sexist ad every year or two, just for the publicity.

I'm suddenly reminded of the 2006 film Little Miss Sunshine, where a little girl performing a striptease/burlesque performance at a beauty pageant is the punchline.
Kind of amazing that the concept goes from 'so ridiculous that it is a refuge-in-audacity joke in a rather surreal film' to 'so believable people will leap on the notion in outrage without doing more research' in just over a dozen years.

Sermil
2020-09-01, 09:17 PM
This. It's an originally French movie (titled "Mignonnes") by Maïmouna Doucouré (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AFmouna_Doucour%C3%A9), a Franco-Senegalese woman, based on her own experiences.

Netflix, in their infinite wisdom, decided to run an advertising campaign which presents it as the very thing its condemning, for shock value.

As with many things in life, they'll tank all the criticism while everyone behind the campaign sits safely and anonymously in their offices, while all the usual suspects aim their vitriol at the convenient scapegoat, and soak up the praise for being so "brave" with their advertising. Meanwhile, Doucouré is getting death threats and being accused of being a paedo.

Well, with any luck, this will blow back on the suits, because talent -- the movie makers, the actors -- also have choices. And the better the talent, the more choices.

Netflix needs content to keep its subscribers happy. It's in a constant bidding war for new content with all the other streaming services, Disney+ or HBO or Amazon Prime or Apple or just good old broadcast TV. If the talent -- the people who make that content -- hear about this and are worried that Netflix will screw them over with a bad advertising campaign, they'll take their precious content elsewhere. Or Netflix'll have to outbid by paying a significant premium, which comes out of their bottom lines. Either way, this doesn't help Netflix, even in the medium term.

Phobia
2020-09-02, 01:18 AM
It’s gross to have scenes with little girls in provocative outfits doing sexy poses anyway much less enough of them to make that trailer. You think pedos care about the plot? That they’ll feel bad about exploiting children after the message? They’ll take the same lesson that the Netflix guys who watched it and made the trailer did.

The Troubadour
2020-09-02, 08:44 AM
I doubt the movie was made with pedophiliacs in mind. I figure the point is to raise awareness among society as a whole.

Fyraltari
2020-09-02, 10:06 AM
It’s gross to have scenes with little girls in provocative outfits doing sexy poses anyway much less enough of them to make that trailer. You think pedos care about the plot? That they’ll feel bad about exploiting children after the message? They’ll take the same lesson that the Netflix guys who watched it and made the trailer did.

Pretty sure a good number of pedophiliacs do feel bad about their urges. Seome child molester might too, even, but these do not elicit much sympathy from me.

Vinyadan
2020-09-02, 10:15 AM
I know American Apparel clothing brand rather infamously 'accidentally' creates a racist or sexist ad every year or two, just for the publicity.
My favourite controversy was with Cats. "They are using CGI to turn this black woman into a WHITE CAT!".

Willie the Duck
2020-09-02, 11:55 AM
My favourite controversy was with Cats. "They are using CGI to turn this black woman into a WHITE CAT!".

That raises the question--when does something become a controversy? From what I could tell of that event, a couple of people noticed the black woman ==> white cat thing, decided to note it on Twitter, and a whole bunch of content aggregators decided to 'write' think-pieces on this supposed controversy. On some level, something can be a controversy just because a lot of people are noticing something and deciding it is a controversy. On the other hand, the number of people who were genuinely up in arms about this great big faux pas (or faux paw. sorrynot-sorry) seemed to be vanishingly small. That one seemed to be a tempest in a teapot. This one, where it is a legitimately controversial... trailer to a movie (when people were lead to believe that it was a controversial movie instead) -- boy I don't even know where to start with the definitions.

Fyraltari
2020-09-02, 12:02 PM
That raises the question--when does something become a controversy? From what I could tell of that event, a couple of people noticed the black woman ==> white cat thing, decided to note it on Twitter, and a whole bunch of content aggregators decided to 'write' think-pieces on this supposed controversy. On some level, something can be a controversy just because a lot of people are noticing something and deciding it is a controversy. On the other hand, the number of people who were genuinely up in arms about this great big faux pas (or faux paw. sorrynot-sorry) seemed to be vanishingly small. That one seemed to be a tempest in a teapot. This one, where it is a legitimately controversial... trailer to a movie (when people were lead to believe that it was a controversial movie instead) -- boy I don't even know where to start with the definitions.

It's a controversy when a lot of people are disagreeing over a thing and debating/arguing it. If a coupe people are saying a thing and some other people are blowing it out of proportion there's a good chance they're strawmanning. I'd link to a couple videos about such "fake controversies", but I think that'd break the rules.

Vinyadan
2020-09-02, 12:07 PM

It's a controversy when a lot of people are disagreeing over a thing and debating/arguing it. If a coupe people are saying a thing and some other people are blowing it out of proportion there's a good chance they're strawmanning. I'd link to a couple videos about such "fake controversies", but I think that'd break the rules.

I have a nonpolitical example (it's about lipstick): https://medium.com/@parkermolloy/5-things-the-media-does-to-manufacture-outrage-ba79125e1262 I didn't fact-check it, but when I read it it made sense.

DeadMech
2020-09-03, 08:04 AM
So I just watched the trailer because of the controversy and... I'm struggling to see the controversy here. Like...I get that the trailer is pulling some bait and switch regarding the movie's goal and I get it parents want to shelter their kids but is much in this trailer beyond what I remember life as a young teenager to be like?

Like oh no... kids are wearing revealing clothing. Yeah...that's what 14 year old girls do. They push those limits because shock surprise you don't magically become a reproductive adult overnight at whatever age society suddenly says it's okay. If that bothers you sit down with your kids and have a frank and honest discussion with them about their changing bodies and what that means.

Oh no... leather pants. Is this really worse than the yoga pants I routinely see young girls wearing around literally everywhere? It's this really worse than the uniform a ballet class wears? Or a gymnast? And twerking on no... I'm certain if they weren't doing that they would be doing some other dance move that you don't approve of. Ballet can be uncomfortable sexual, just looks at cats. Mostly my impression is that young girls are choosing to do this themselves or else are being pressured into it not by scummy adults but by their peers. So you know... something else you might want to sit down and have a frank and honest discussion with your kids about on occasion. Peer pressure. That friends that try to make them do things they aren't comfortable with are bad friends.

There are dangerous people anywhere you find kids. Soccer teams, scouts, hockey, football, ballet, gymnastics, fandom conventions, schools, churches, internet apps... everywhere. I've heard some absolute horror stories. Which is why you should talk to your kids, girls or boys, about how to protect themselves from those types of people.

The source of the girl's troubles in this trailer isn't the clothing or the dancing. It's that this girl is choosing to lie to her family about what she's doing and stealing money to do it. If it wasn't dancing she would be doing something else that's sure to get her into all sorts of trouble.

Sivarias
2020-09-03, 11:08 AM
Kind of amazing that the concept goes from 'so ridiculous that it is a refuge-in-audacity joke in a rather surreal film' to 'so believable people will leap on the notion in outrage without doing more research' in just over a dozen years.

Its the cultural Overton window shift.

Its been accelerating quite quickly in recent generations due to people being stuck in their own bubbles.

You aren't supposed to debate opposing viewpoints anymore, your supposed to label them immoral and deride and mock them.

This is just an extension of that.

Willie the Duck
2020-09-03, 11:47 AM
Its the cultural Overton window shift.

Its been accelerating quite quickly in recent generations due to people being stuck in their own bubbles.

You aren't supposed to debate opposing viewpoints anymore, your supposed to label them immoral and deride and mock them.

This is just an extension of that.

We're going to have to be very theoretical and high-level for this not to get shut down.
I'm not sure I see politics as related to this. I see more of a shift in what is 'so ridiculous a notion that you can make jokes about it (because no one will believe you are being serious).'

Rogar Demonblud
2020-09-03, 01:36 PM
I suspect it's more that we're learning there's nothing that ridiculous anymore.

Phobia
2020-09-03, 05:24 PM
Like oh no... kids are wearing revealing clothing. Yeah...that's what 14 year old girls do. They push those limits because shock surprise you don't magically become a reproductive adult overnight at whatever age society suddenly says it's okay. If that bothers you sit down with your kids and have a frank and honest discussion with them about their changing bodies and what that means.

The trouble is you don't have to point a camera at it so that pedos can whack off in the safety and privacy of their own homes. Do we as a society let a guy stand and film little girls in revealing outfits running around or do people gather and run them off? I think you know the answer..

Traab
2020-09-03, 06:36 PM
The trouble is you don't have to point a camera at it so that pedos can whack off in the safety and privacy of their own homes. Do we as a society let a guy stand and film little girls in revealing outfits running around or do people gather and run them off? I think you know the answer..

Instead they record themselves and plaster it all over tiktok or whatever.

Phobia
2020-09-03, 07:28 PM
I hope you realize the difference between kids doing it themselves and adults taking videos of them, directing them in what to do, or having them pole dance as an event. 🙄

Blackhawk748
2020-09-03, 10:20 PM

They're 11

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-04, 06:11 AM

Alternatively, when criticising something you've got to show what you're criticising. Now I've not seen the advert or the film, but I suspect that the theoretically problematic content isn't in the majority of the film.

Now could you in theory make this film without such content? Possibly, and at the very least showing it now makes it less shocking in the actual film. But you'd end up with a different film, and likely a different message.

Plus, well, it's probably not hard to find something much worse. Not that this makes it better, it just means I find your scenario unlikely.

Precure
2020-09-04, 07:27 AM
Honestly, filmmaker is to blame. As a person with an unusual fetish, I could tell you that pedophiles wouldn't care about the story, as long as what they see is titillating their penises. An anti-pedophile film shouldn't include such scenes in first place. Netflix is just trying to create drama so people would watch it to see if it's pedophilic as people claim.

Fyraltari
2020-09-04, 09:03 AM
Honestly, filmmaker is to blame. As a person with an unusual fetish, I could tell you that pedophiles wouldn't care about the story, as long as what they see is titillating their penises. An anti-pedophile film shouldn't include such scenes in first place. Netflix is just trying to create drama so people would watch it to see if it's pedophilic as people claim.

The movie likely isn’t trying to shame pedophiles into having a different fetish. That would be absurd. It is criticizing the way society and various entertainment industries oversexualize children and the damage that causes to them. The point is to get people to talk about these things and realize they should be shut down. And you can’t talk about a thing in a movie without showing what it is. Just like how France, the country this movie is from, banned beauty pageants for children a while back, that wasn’t in the hope that pedophiles would stop being pedophiles.

Precure
2020-09-04, 09:22 AM
The movie likely isn’t trying to shame pedophiles into having a different fetish. That would be absurd. It is criticizing the way society and various entertainment industries oversexualize children and the damage that causes to them. The point is to get people to talk about these things and realize they should be shut down. And you can’t talk about a thing in a movie without showing what it is. Just like how France, the country this movie is from, banned beauty pageants for children a while back, that wasn’t in the hope that pedophiles would stop being pedophiles.

I didn't say that. Point is, the film and the little actresses within could be used as material for pedophiles. Which is bad. No one is expecting a film to change pedophiles' sexual desires.

Keltest
2020-09-04, 09:37 AM
I didn't say that. Point is, the film and the little actresses within could be used as material for pedophiles. Which is bad. No one is expecting a film to change pedophiles' sexual desires.

Sure, but the only way to completely stop that is to lock children in opaque boxes for their entire lives until they hit legal adulthood. The idea that problems shouldnt be confronted because some people might miss the point is silly. Also, completely unrelated to whether or not the trailer or movie are appropriate unto themselves.

Precure
2020-09-04, 09:48 AM
Sure, but the only way to completely stop that is to lock children in opaque boxes for their entire lives until they hit legal adulthood. The idea that problems shouldnt be confronted because some people might miss the point is silly. Also, completely unrelated to whether or not the trailer or movie are appropriate unto themselves.

But the trailer is only inappropriate because of the scenes, which took place in the film.

Peelee
2020-09-04, 10:02 AM
But the trailer is only inappropriate because of the scenes, which took place in the film.

The trailer is only inappropriate because of how it was edited together to form a narrative.

Do you also object to high school movies on these same grounds? What about on-screen murders for people into snuff? Any film depiction of cheerleaders? Any number of other fetishes that can be satisfied from any number of other shots?

Phobia
2020-09-04, 10:05 AM
I think there's a huge gap between "hey let's film these children wearing sexy clothes and dancing on a stripper pole for the world to see!" and "lets just lock children into opaque boxes forever!" {scrubbed}. The pedophile will be like, "thanks netflix! I would have had to troll tiktok for two hours to find a decent video even close to as good as this to whack it to." And yeah, of course they had to show half-naked kids to be against half-naked kids just like you have to show people doing drugs and literally dying of a drug overdose in your anti-drug videos. They lose two actors every time.

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-04, 10:08 AM

And some people get aroused by torture*. That doesn't mean that in my dark fantasy epic I can't show naked characters getting tortured. I should still be aware of the fact that some people might be aroused by it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't include it.

*[citation needed]

Phobia
2020-09-04, 10:14 AM
Except BDSM, when consent is obtained from all individuals involved, isn't illegal or morally repugnant, and in fantasy movies/books they aren't actually torturing people but in this case the little girls are actually doing things that you shouldn't put to video. So nothing like this whatsoever. :smallsigh:

Anonymouswizard
2020-09-04, 10:38 AM
Except BDSM, when consent is obtained from all individuals involved, isn't illegal or morally repugnant, and in movies they aren't actually torturing people but in this case the girls are actually doing things that you shouldn't put to video. So nothing like this whatsoever. :smallsigh:

I mean, yes, BDSM should be conventual and it's completely fine (the same for exhibitionism, voyuerism, and any other fetishes we want to bring up).

I mean, I've not seen the film or trailer or spoken to the director or actors, but I'm assuming the following:
-There is no (underage) nudity
-The girls consented to wearing these clothes and doing these actions
-The parents consented to this happening
-The police have seen fit to take no action

To me the argument is along the lines of 'an anti-racism movie can't have racist characters', which confuses me. There's a reason Pride made the meetings between the miners and LGSM more problematic, and we can't say 'this is bad' if we don't say what 'this' is.

Peelee
2020-09-04, 10:41 AM
And yeah, of course they had to show half-naked kids to be against half-naked kids just like you have to show people doing drugs and literally dying of a drug overdose in your anti-drug videos. They lose two actors every time.

Drug overdose scenes can be filmed for anti-drug messaging. The actors are, of course, acting, just like in this movie.

Vinyadan
2020-09-04, 10:43 AM
I mean, yes, BDSM should be conventual and it's completely fine (the same for exhibitionism, voyuerism, and any other fetishes we want to bring up).

Hehehehe. :smallbiggrin: Too much Decameron.

Phobia
2020-09-04, 10:44 AM
....Then they aren't really filming a drug overdose, are they? They're acting like they're doing a drug overdose. These are literally little girls in skimpy outfits. Do you understand?

Let me break it down even easier for y'all. If this was acting not literally (which is what I said about drug overdose in my original post), it would be 18-24 year olds who look young acting like they are underage characters. Like in almost every other production where kids are sexualized. But these are literally 11 year olds shaking their ass.

Underage people can't consent. And you'd be surprised what parents and cops let people get away. Cops definitely aren't the end-all of morality. I found out my next-door neighbor I knew for years molested her own kids. So I'm not really in the mood to buy 'well the parents said it was okay!' as an excuse. A non-"film maker" videoing kids or caught with little girls in suggestive poses and skimpy outfits on their computer might not be so lucky.

Please explain what you mean by Pride made things complicated.

crayzz
2020-09-04, 11:22 AM
The ire seems to be that pedophiles will like it, and like, even if that is true, so what?

Were the children involved harmed at all during filming? Were they uncomfortable with the scenes they did? Questions along those lines are valuable to ask, but "will the bad people like it" isn't worth the time and effort it takes to ask that question, let alone actually answer it.

On a side note, BDSM is very much illegal in some countries (mine included).

Phobia
2020-09-04, 11:24 AM
You folks sure care a lot about people being able to see these children smack their ass in the equivalent of panties and a bra

truemane
2020-09-04, 11:45 AM
Metamagic Mod: thread closed.