PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Arcane Archer with a Rogue dip

Lysimarchos
2020-08-31, 09:59 AM
I'm working on an Arcane Archer build (I'm going to use a homebrew revision, but the revision is very similar to the basic one, just generally stronger), and I want to take at least 2 levels of Rogue as well, both for roleplaying purposes and for utility (more proficiencies, expertise, Cunning Action). I'm wondering if I should go with 3 levels of Rogue for a subclass, and if so, which? The character concept is a sort of bounty hunter/investigator, so Inquisitive fits the theme, but the level 3 abilities don't seem very impactful. Which subclass would work well for this, or should I stay at Rogue 2?

x3n0n
2020-08-31, 10:30 AM
I'm working on an Arcane Archer build (I'm going to use a homebrew revision, but the revision is very similar to the basic one, just generally stronger), and I want to take at least 2 levels of Rogue as well, both for roleplaying purposes and for utility (more proficiencies, expertise, Cunning Action). I'm wondering if I should go with 3 levels of Rogue for a subclass, and if so, which? The character concept is a sort of bounty hunter/investigator, so Inquisitive fits the theme, but the level 3 abilities don't seem very impactful. Which subclass would work well for this, or should I stay at Rogue 2?

Arcane Trickster has some synergy.

More cantrips are a win. Invisible Mage Hand accomplishes a lot, and you have 2 more choices.

Any feature that gets you Find Familiar is great in general, and a tiny animal that can share its senses is great for an investigator. The owl in particular is remarkably versatile: darkvision, great perception, flyby for safe Help action in combat (or dropping ball bearings, or delivering potions, or...). This is the biggest draw, in my opinion. (You could use your off-school spell for Shield as well, but I can never turn down the familiar.)

Disguise Self is also on theme for an investigator. By the time you get there, you probably don't want a Sleep or Color Spray that you can't retrain because you aren't taking more Rogue levels. Charm Person, Hideous Laughter, Silent Image can all be relevant for your whole career.

There are several good guides for AT in the "Important threads" post.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-08-31, 10:33 AM
What Level of play ate you most likely to see on this char?
What's your starting level?

Lysimarchos
2020-08-31, 12:17 PM
Arcane Trickster has some synergy.

More cantrips are a win. Invisible Mage Hand accomplishes a lot, and you have 2 more choices.

Any feature that gets you Find Familiar is great in general, and a tiny animal that can share its senses is great for an investigator. The owl in particular is remarkably versatile: darkvision, great perception, flyby for safe Help action in combat (or dropping ball bearings, or delivering potions, or...). This is the biggest draw, in my opinion. (You could use your off-school spell for Shield as well, but I can never turn down the familiar.)

Disguise Self is also on theme for an investigator. By the time you get there, you probably don't want a Sleep or Color Spray that you can't retrain because you aren't taking more Rogue levels. Charm Person, Hideous Laughter, Silent Image can all be relevant for your whole career.

There are several good guides for AT in the "Important threads" post.

I was considering an Arcane Trickster as well, and the character is supposed to have some magical training, so it fits the concept too.

What Level of play ate you most likely to see on this char?
What's your starting level?

This is mostly theorycrafting for a future character, so I can't know 100% for sure, but my group usually starts around the middle (levels 5-9) and rarely goes much further than the early tens (10-15).