PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Dweomerpulse

ideasmith
2020-08-31, 11:09 AM
Some players want a spellcaster who can do something magical every round. Some players want a spellcaster who builds spells from components. This is a spellcaster who can build spells from components every round.

Dweomerpulse

Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disguise, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Survival, Use Magic Device
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecial
Cantrips per Day
Cantrips Known
1st+0+0+0+2Spell Intensity +1, 1 One Metamagic Feat, Heighten Spell

2nd+1+0+0+3Two Bonus Metamagic Feats

3rd+1+1+1+3Spell Intensity +2, Two Bonus Metamagic Feats

4th+2+1+1+4Two Bonus Metamagic Feats

5th+2+1+1+4Spell Intensity +3, One Bonus Metamagic Feat, Endurance

6th+3+2+2+5 One Bonus Metamagic Feat

7th+3+2+2+5Spell Intensity +4, One Bonus Metamagic Feat

8th+4+2+2+6 One Bonus Metamagic Feat

9th+4+3+3+6Spell Intensity +5, One Bonus Metamagic Feat

10th+5+3+3+7One Bonus Metamagic Feat, Diehard

11th+5+3+3+7Spell Intensity +6, One Bonus Metamagic Feat

12th+6/+1+4+4+8 One Bonus Metamagic Feat

13th+6/+1+4+4+8Spell Intensity +7, One Bonus Metamagic Feat

14th+7/+2+4+4+9 One Bonus Metamagic Feat

15th+7/+2+5+5+9Spell Intensity +8, One Bonus Metamagic Feat, Wakefulness

16th+8/+3+5+5+10 One Bonus Metamagic Feat

17th+8/+3+5+5+10Spell Intensity +9, One Bonus Metamagic Feat

18th+9/+4+6+6+11One Bonus Metamagic Feat

19th+9/+4+6+6+11Spell Intensity +10, One Bonus Metamagic Feat

20th+10/+5+6+6+12 One Bonus Metamagic Feat, Bounce Back, 1st Level Spell

Alignment: Any

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the dweomerpulse.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dweomerpulses are proficient with all simple weapons and with kamas, nunchaku, and sais. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a dweomerpulse’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.

Spells: A dweomerpulse casts arcane spells which are drawn from the 0th level spells of the bard, cleric, druid, and sorcerer spell lists. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below). Furthermore, he does not need to ready his mind to cast spells each day, the way a sorcerer or bard must. To learn or cast a spell, a dweomerpulse must have a Constitution score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a dweomerpulse’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the dweomerpulse’s Constitution modifier.
Unlike other spellcasters, a dweomerpulse can cast any number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table:[/b] The Dweomerpulse
A dweomerpulse’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A dweomerpulse begins play knowing Six 0-level spells of your choice. At each new dweomerpulse level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table:[/b] Dweomerpulse Spells Known. (The number of spells a dweomerpulse knows is not affected by his Constitution score; the numbers on Table:[/b] Dweomerpulse Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells are chosen from the above list.
Upon reaching 2nd level, and at every dweomerpulse level after, a dweomerpulse can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the dweomerpulse “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level dweomerpulse spell the dweomerpulse can cast. A dweomerpulse may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.
Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a dweomerpulse need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, a dweomerpulse gets a bonus metamagic feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The dweomerpulse gains two additional bonus feats at 2nd , 3rd, 4th, and 5th level each; Three additional bonus feats at 6th , 7th, 8th, and 9th level each; four additional bonus feats at 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th level each; and five additional bonus feats every dweomerpulse level thereafter (17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be metamagic. A dweomerpulse must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Spell Intensity: At 1st level the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 1st level spell slot. At 3rd level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 2nd level spell slot. At 5th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 3rd level spell slot. At 7th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 4th level spell slot. At 9th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 5th level spell slot. At 11th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 6th level spell slot. At 13th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 7th level spell slot. At 15th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 8th level spell slot. At 17th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 9th level spell slot. At 19th level, the dweomerpulse can apply metamagic to his 0th level spells as if using a 10th level spell slot. This only applies to dweomerpulse spells.

Heighten Spell: A dweomerpulse gains Heighten Spell as a bonus feat at 1st level. If the dweomerpulse already has Heighten spell, he may instead gain Endurance or a single metamagic feat which he has any prerequisites for. If the dweomerpulse also already has Endurance, add Diehard to the above list of choices.

Endurance: A dweomerpulse gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 5th level. If the dweomerpulse already has Endurance, he may instead gain Diehard or a single additional metamagic feat which he has any prerequisites for

Diehard: A dweomerpulse gains Diehard as a bonus feat at10th level. If the dweomerpulse already has Diehard, he may instead gain a single additional metamagic feat which he has any prerequisites for

Wakeful (Ex): Starting at 15th level, a dweomerpulse needs only 1 minute of sleep per day (or the equivalent of sleep, for creatures that do not sleep as such).

Bounce Back (Su): Starting at 20th level, the dweomerpulse heals one point of nonlethal damage per round.

1st Level Spell (Su): At 20th level, the dweomerpulse may select one 1st level spell from the Bard, Cleric, Druid, or Sorcerer list. This spell is added to the dweomerpulse’s spells known and spell list as a 0th level spell. This is in addition to the listed cantrips known.

Change Log
9/1/2020: Fixed Various typos (Thank you Meta.)
9/1/2020: Reduced cantrips available at most levels (Thank you Meta and Edea.)
9/3/2020: Reduced bonus metamagic feats available at 5th level and higher (Thank you Meta and Edea.)

JNAProductions
2020-08-31, 11:22 AM
This class seems like it'd either be virtually useless (Empowered Maximized Acid Splash!) or ridiculously OP (Fell Drain Sonic Snap at-will).

It's not a bad concept, but the implementation feels kinda shaky.

Meta
2020-08-31, 01:28 PM
I think Endurance and Diehard's entries are meant to reference already learning those feats instead of Heighten Spell?

Is it intentional that you gain thirteen bonus metamagic feats at level 13? It disrupts what is otherwise fairly stable growth.

80 is so many cantrips. I think I would actually be happier playing with less. Even 40 at level 10, seems like an extreme amount to me, strictly from a bookkeeping and analysis paralysis standpoint. Too many choices.

Edea
2020-08-31, 01:46 PM
This is too much...I think you should just stick with a Warlock. Maybe homebrew an invocation that emulates certain cantrip/orison effects to which the Warlock doesn't otherwise have access?

AxxNox
2020-09-01, 02:54 PM
Anyone try this? what did you think?

ideasmith
2020-09-01, 07:20 PM
Dweomerpulse discussion

This class seems like it'd either be virtually useless (Empowered Maximized Acid Splash!)
I may need to increase the combat effectiveness a bit. (But not too much: The dweomersmith has a lot of combat versatility, and a lot of noncombat effectiveness.) I see three basic approaches to increasing combat: Removing the extra time to use metamagic (thus allowing Quicken Spell); adding more options for adjusting the spell list; and increasing the maximum spell level (and adjusting spell intensity accordingly). I’m thinking of some of all three. I'll need a better idea what the balance problems are before changing to fix them.

Sonic Snap[/I] at-will).
If the info I found using Google is right, ( I don’t have that book) Fell Drain looks to be unbalanced for any caster. I grant that at-will multiplies that problem. This looks to be a problem with Fell Drain, not a problem with my class.

It's not a bad concept, but the implementation feels kinda shaky.

I think Endurance and Diehard's entries are meant to reference already learning those feats instead of Heighten Spell?

Is it intentional that you gain thirteen bonus metamagic feats at level 13? It disrupts what is otherwise fairly stable growth.
These are both proofreading errors. Thank you for catching them; they have been corrected.

80 is so many cantrips. I think I would actually be happier playing with less. Even 40 at level 10, seems like an extreme amount to me, strictly from a bookkeeping and analysis paralysis standpoint. Too many choices.
I have adjusted the number of spells known to about what a sorcerer gets. Does that seem about right?

This is too much...I think you should just stick with a Warlock. Maybe homebrew an invocation that emulates certain cantrip/orison effects to which the Warlock doesn't otherwise have access?
This class is, as I stated earlier, aimed at players who “want a spellcaster who builds spells from components”. I figure that such a player will want lots of components to play with. From what I’ve heard of the Warlock, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t provide such.

Anyone try this?
This class was only posted yesterday, so probably not.

Meta
2020-09-01, 07:36 PM
I will preface this by saying I have not played 3.X in many years, so feel free to throw out my opinion.

There seems to be a ridiculous number of choices players have each round. I suspect that I would end up with a couple of favorites and stick with those, under utilizing the vast majority of my millions of permutations of cantrip + metamagic combos or w/e the number is. I can only speak for myself, but I think I would be happier if at least some of this spell construction was done beforehand. Instead of 50+ metamagic feats, give me a smaller number but let me pre apply some of them for a bonus. If the level up process involved getting "free" metamagics that I had to decide in advance, and if I couldn't repeat any, I think I'd actually end up using more of them. You could still change them further to fit the situation, slap more metamagic on there, but you'd be primed on your favorite combos to begin with.

ideasmith
2020-09-03, 06:46 PM
I will preface this by saying I have not played 3.X in many years, so feel free to throw out my opinion.

There seems to be a ridiculous number of choices players have each round. I suspect that I would end up with a couple of favorites and stick with those, under utilizing the vast majority of my millions of permutations of cantrip + metamagic combos or w/e the number is. I can only speak for myself, but I think I would be happier if at least some of this spell construction was done beforehand. Instead of 50+ metamagic feats, give me a smaller number but let me pre apply some of them for a bonus. If the level up process involved getting "free" metamagics that I had to decide in advance, and if I couldn't repeat any, I think I'd actually end up using more of them. You could still change them further to fit the situation, slap more metamagic on there, but you'd be primed on your favorite combos to begin with.

Thank you for your advice; I have toned down the metamagic feats. Your other suggestion - from what I understand of it - seems to involve annoying bookkeeping.

noob
2020-09-04, 09:30 AM
There was a class made by jormengad which had a really similar concept.

ideasmith
2020-09-05, 08:00 PM
There was a class made by jormengad which had a really similar concept.

Do you mean the Cantrip Mage (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?399694-Fear-the-wrath-of-cantrips-fool!-(3-5-class-PEACH)) by Jormengand? If so, while I may have adapted some ideas form that class, I did so towards a fairly different concept, as described at the beginning of the original post.

If you meant some other class, could you give more information about how to find said class? Perhaps a link?