PDA

View Full Version : Half-Giant Reincarnation

Wildstag
2020-08-31, 12:16 PM
So I realized yesterday that the only full-caster in my Sunday night game is a druid, and that means getting access to Reincarnate. However, my Half-Giant PsyWar is a Giant, and thus would need a new table.

I've looked in this forum but haven't seen a percentile chart actually shared, so is there a reasonable reincarnate chart? Would it need to be limited to Giants with a level adjustment? And if so, would I have to lose some class levels to Reincarnate into a bigger form? Or would I just delay leveling up the next time to account for the new LA?

It kinda seems weird in retrospect that the Half-Giant was given that Type, instead of just Monstrous Humanoid or Humanoid but with a subtype.

Quentinas
2020-08-31, 12:55 PM
Welll for the new LA you should delay the next level as if you would become a race with racial hit dice (for example gnoll) , at the same time for the giants there aren't many race with that type that can be used . If i would be the DM i would let you use the half giant or the half ogre, or i would explore your background to see who could be the other half and if it would be an humanoid creature i would use that. But is not RAW i know so maybe is not accepted but it would be as i would do (because other giants races are too strong with their hit dice)

Wildstag
2020-08-31, 02:25 PM
If a human turns into a gnoll though, there's additional issues in that Gnolls also have an additional HD. But since the spell makes you lose a level while retaining all of your class abilities and such, you can't really get that second Gnoll hd when reincarnating. Troglodytes, Bugbears, and Lizardfolk also have 2 HD base.

That's what makes sense to me at least. As such, I would imagine if you Reincarnate as a different kind of Giant (provided it has a level adjustment), you would keep all of your class levels and not gain any of the racial HD.

Quentinas
2020-08-31, 02:54 PM
If a human turns into a gnoll though, there's additional issues in that Gnolls also have an additional HD. But since the spell makes you lose a level while retaining all of your class abilities and such, you can't really get that second Gnoll hd when reincarnating. Troglodytes, Bugbears, and Lizardfolk also have 2 HD base.

That's what makes sense to me at least. As such, I would imagine if you Reincarnate as a different kind of Giant (provided it has a level adjustment), you would keep all of your class levels and not gain any of the racial HD.

You are right i was going on memory the essential paragraph is this

A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores. The subject’s level (or Hit Dice) is reduced by 1. If the subject was 1st level, its new Constitution score is reduced by 2. (If this reduction would put its Con at 0 or lower, it can’t be reincarnated). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

In each case the more abilities of a creature can be a problem for the GM as the giants generally have an high level adjustment, other than the size problem obviously. It can be a new leaf for you but the GM could choose a giant race not so problematic for him (my bet would be the half ogre from races of destiny that are not a problem for the new strenght and can be a boost to your character)

ShurikVch
2020-08-31, 02:55 PM
There is a spell in Dungeon #100 WE (https://paizo.com/dungeonissues/100/Dungeon100Enhancement.pdf) - Dire Reincarnation
It works exactly like Reincarnate, but all random variants are replaced with various Dire Animals
Example of the spell's results is the Lone Tooth (male Dire Lion Monk 12); the only HD he have is from his Monk levels (LA is unclear, since it was July of 2003 - the month of 3.0/3.5 transition)