PDA

View Full Version : The Hedge Mage: a caster class for 5e

Tanfoglio
2020-08-31, 08:06 PM
Hello! So I love cantrips, almost as much as I love casting a spell every turn, so after a lot of work and consideration I present a new class for review. I've tried to keep it balanced and fun, and I'd like to see what you all think. Here it goes...

The Hedge Mage
An alternate class for 5th edition

Level
Proficency bonus
Features
Cantrips known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th

1st
Spellcasting
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
Wand Crafting
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
Ability Score Improvement
-
-
-
-

5th
Arcane Division (2)
-
-
-
-

6th
Wand Crafting Improvement
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-

10th
Rod Crafting
-
-
-

11th
Arcane Division (3)
-
-

12th
-
-

13th
-
-
-

14th
Rod Crafting Improvement
-

15th
-
-

16th
-

17th
Arcane Division (4)

18th
Staff Crafting

19th

20th
Arcane Division (full)

Not all wizards dwell in magical towers or secretive colleges. The Hedge Mage is a self-taught wizard with little to no formal training. Some lacked the raw potential, some were overlooked by any who could train them, some simply could not afford the tuition. What all hedge mages have in common is their dedication to magic and their stubborn tenacity. Hedge mages lack the raw power of a properly trained spellcaster, but they have learned to use what they have to its fullest. Hedge mages possess a wide array of spells gathered from blind experimentation and anywhere they could learn or copy. They can often be found wandering, searching for a place to practice what they know or learn new magics.

Class Features
A Hedge Mage gains the following class features

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d6 per hedge mage level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 6+ Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher levels: 1d6 (or 4)+ Constitution modifier per hedge mage level after first

Proficiencies
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaffs, Light crossbows
Tools: None

Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Choose three from Investigation, Nature, Insight, Medicine, Perception, Survival

Equipment
you start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-(a)a quarterstaff or (b)a dagger
-(a)a component pouch or (b)an arcane focus
-(a)an explorer's pack or (b)a dungeoneer's pack

Spellcasting
As a self taught mage, you have learned to cast spells through trial and error and irregular learning in a way unique to you. See chapter 10 of the player handbook for the general rules of spellcasting and the end of this document for the hedge mage spell list.

Cantrips
at 1st level, you know three cantrips from the hedge mage spell list at the end of this document. You learn additional hedge mage cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the hedge mage table.

Preparing and Casting Spells
The hedge mage table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these hedge mage spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
You prepare the list of hedge mage spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the hedge mage spell list. When you do so, choose a number of hedge mage spells equal to your intelligence modifier + your hedge mage level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
For example, when you reach 4th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st of 2nd level. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose a number of the hedge mage spells you know equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum of one) and replace them with an equal number of spells from the hedge mage spell list, which must also be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Spellcasting Ability
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your hedge mage spells, since you learn your spells through experimentation and practice. You use your intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a hedge mage spell you cast and when making making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your intelligence modifier

Spellbook
hedge mages do not require spellbooks for their spells, but they can use them to record spells in the same way as described in the wizard section of the player hand book (p.114), although lacking formal training means it costs twice as much and takes three times as long.

Ritual Casting
You can cast a hedge mage spell as a ritual if it has the ritual tag and you have it prepared, or if it in your spellbook whether you have it prepared or not.

Spellcasting Focus
You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your hedge mage spells.

Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score by two or two ability scores by one, to a maximum of twenty.

Wand Crafting
At the second level, you are able to cobble together a makshift wand from what you have learned. You gain proficiency with woodworking tools. At the end of a long rest you can touch a nonmagical or magical wand and imbue it with a non-damaging cantrip you know. Until your next long rest you can use the wand to cast the cantrip as a bonus action. This wand feature works only for you, and if you used a nonmagical wand you can use it as a casting focus for your hedge mage spells.

Arcane Division
Starting at 5th level you gain the ability to use your limited resources to their fullest. As a bonus action, you can divide a spell slot of second level or higher into two lesser spell slots. This consumes the spell slot and creates two temporary spell slots of lower levels equivalent to the slot consumed. A second level slot can be divided into two first level slots, while a third can be divided into one second level slot and one first level slot (2+1=3). you can use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. Any spell slots over your normal amount disapear at the end of your next long rest. You regain all uses of this feature when you complete a long rest

Wand Crafting Improvement
At sixth level your skill in wand making improves. You can now use damaging cantrips in your wands, and can create two wands instead of one. The wands must be of different cantrips.

Rod Crafting
At 10th level you gain the ability to graft more powerful spells. At the end of a long rest you can touch a nonmagical or magical rod and imbue it with a number of charges equal to your intelligence modifier. For each charge you can use a first or second level spell slot as if it was one level higher. The slot remains the level it is for the purposes of casting, but the effects of the spell occur as if one level higher. In addition, you gain another wand for your wand crafting feature for a total of three. Only you can use this rod feature.

Arcane Division Improvement
At the 11th level you learn how to better divide your energies. When you use your Arcane division, you can divide a slot of third level or higher into as many as three lower slots, so long as the total is equal to the level of the spell slot used. For example; a third level spell slot can be divided into one level one slot and one level two slot (3=2+1) or into three level one slots(3=1+1+1). A level four slot can be divided into one level one slot and a level three slot(4=1+3), or two level two slots(4=2+2), or two level one slots and one level two slot(4=1+1+2).

Rod Crafting Improvement
At level fourteen you gain the ability to craft an even deadlier rod. You can imbue one additional rod, for a total of two, and this rod can be used to empower spells using third or fourth level spell slots in the same manner. In addition, you can imbue one additional wand with your wand crafting feature for a total of four.

Arcane Division Improvement
At the 17th level you learn how to better divide your energies. When you use your Arcane division, you can divide a slot of fourth level or higher into as many as four lower slots, so long as the total is equal to the level of the spell slot used. For example; a fourth level spell slot can be divided into one level one slot and one level three slot (4=3+1),or two level one slots and one level two slot(4=2+1+1), or into four level one slots(4=1+1+1+1).

Staff Crafting
At the 18th level you gain mastery of wand crafting. You can imbue one additional wand with your wand crafting feature for a total of five wands. Additionally you can craft a staff of power. At the end of a long rest you can touch a nonmagical or magical staff and imbue it with a number of charges equal to your intelligence modifier. For each charge you can use a fifth or sixth level spell slot as if it was one level higher. The slot remains the level it is for the purposes of casting, but the effects of the spell occur as if one level higher. Only you can use this staff feature.

Arcane Division Mastery
At level 20 you become a master at using every bit of magic at your disposal. You can divide spell slots with arcane division any way you choose. In addition, you can now combine spell slots into higher levels the same way you divide them, no higher than sixth level.

Hedge Mage Spell List

Cantrips
acid splash
blade ward
booming blade
chill touch
control flames
create bonfire
dancing lights
fire bolt
friends
frostbite
green flame blade
guidance
gust
infestation
light
lightning lure
mage hand
magic stone
mending
mold earth
poison spray
prestidigitation
produce flame
ray of frost
resistance
shape water
shillelagh
shocking grasp
sword burst
thaumaturgy
thorn whip
thunderclap
toll the dead
true strike
First Level
absorb elements
alarm
animal friendship
burning hands
catapult
cause fear
chaos bolt
charm person
chromatic orb
color spray
command
create or destroy water
cure wounds
detect magic
disguise self
earth tremor
entangle
expeditious retreat
faerie fire
false life
feather fall
fog cloud
grease
hail of thorns
healing elixir
hellish rebuke
ice knife
jump
longstrider
magic missle
ray of sickness
sheild
silent image
sleep
snare
tasha's hideous laughter
tenser's floating disc
thunderwave
unseen servant
witch bolt
Second Level
aganazzar's scorcher
blindness/deafness
blur
cloud of daggers
continual flame
cordon of arrows
darkness
darkvision
dragon's breath
earthbind
enlarge/reduce
flaming sphere
gust of wind
heat metal
hold person
invisibility
knock
levitate
locate object
magic weapon
maximillian's earthen grasp
melf's acid arrow
mirror image
misty step
moonbeam
pyrotechnics
ray of enfeeblement
rope trick
scorching ray
see invisibility
shadow blade
shatter
silence
skywrite
snilloc's snowball storm
spider climb
suggestion
warding wind
web
Third Level
bestow curse
blink
catnap
conjure barrage
counterspell
daylight
dispel magic
erupting earth
fear
feign death
fireball
flame arrows
fly
gaseous form
haste
hypnotic pattern
leomund's tiny hut
lightning arrow
lightning bolt
major image
melf's minute meteors
protection from energy
sleet storm
slow
stinking cloud
thunderstep
tidal wave
vampiric touch
wall of sand
wall of water
wind wall

Fourth Level
blight
charm monster
confusion
control water
elemental bane
fabricate
fire shield
grasping vine
greater invisibility
halucinatory terrain
ice storm
otiluke's resilient sphere
polymorph
sickening radiance
stone shape
stone skin
storm sphere
vitriolic sphere
wall of fire
watery sphere
Fifth Level
animate objects
bigby's hand
cloudkill
cone of cold
control winds
creation
dawn
enervation
far step
hold monster
immolation
mislead
negative energy flood
passwall
steel wind strike
telekinesis
transmute rock
wall of force
wall of light
wall of stone
Sixth Level
chain lightning
disintigrate
investiture of flame
investiture of ice
investiture of stone
investiture of wind
move earth
otiluke's freezing sphere
sunbeam
true seeing
wall of ice

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? ...Playtests?

Magicspook
2020-09-01, 04:36 PM
I actually really like it! I always had a thing for 'enchanter' type wizards, making wands and whatnot. Flavourwise it has found a nice niche somewhere between the wizard and the sorcerer. The class itself does not seem overpowered, if anything it would be a little underpowered but it makes up for it by the incredible amount of versatility you get from having 14 cantrips by level 20. However, this reliance on cantrips for versatility can be very DM-dependent and might rub the party skill monkeys the wrong way.

One question: is this class spells known (like bard) or spells prepared (like cleric), or both (like wizard)? I couldn't figure out what you meant.

Edea
2020-09-01, 05:38 PM
I also like this class.

It's a bit easy to dip for Wand Crafting; a wand of guidance is a very strong bonus action. A Bard would be all over that, and that feature's going to get more and more attractive for dips as new cantrips get released in UAs/etc.. (I'm also not sure whether it would count as 1/3, 1/2, or 1 spellcaster level for the purpose of multiclass spellcasting). BUT, multiclassing's a variant rule, so you're not necessarily balancing for that.

Will there be some subclasses for the hedge wizard, or is it written specifically to not have them?

Tanfoglio
2020-09-03, 01:29 AM
I was going for a spells known like a cleric, but with the ritual casting of a wizard to fit the theme. I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience playing high level wizards, so the wands and rods are my attempt to bump up the power of some of the lower level spells to try and keep it useful without the higher level spells.

Tanfoglio
2020-09-03, 01:41 AM
I'm also not sure whether it would count as 1/3, 1/2, or 1 spellcaster level for the purpose of multiclass spellcasting). ...

Will there be some subclasses for the hedge wizard, or is it written specifically to not have them?

I did a bunch of maths for spell slot level to level ratios and I would call it a 2/3rd caster (which there aren't any rules for multiclassing, but I was trying to balance lower power and higher versatility) as for subclasses, I might try sometime (maybe splitting the wand crafting and the slot splitting into seperate subclasses) but that was a lot of complexity to add and I decided to just make it a singular class to see if the concept would work first.

Fnissalot
2020-09-03, 06:29 AM
I did a bunch of maths for spell slot level to level ratios and I would call it a 2/3rd caster (which there aren't any rules for multiclassing, but I was trying to balance lower power and higher versatility) as for subclasses, I might try sometime (maybe splitting the wand crafting and the slot splitting into seperate subclasses) but that was a lot of complexity to add and I decided to just make it a singular class to see if the concept would work first.

I think it is off for being a 2/3 caster. No class gets more than 1 6th level slot and only warlocks gets more than 2 5th level slots.

For ranger and paladin, you take half the caster levels, rounded down if less than 1, but otherwise round up. Check what wizards get at the level equal to the calculated value. Artificers always round up.
Arcane tricksters and eldritch knight multiply by 1/3 instead of 1/2 and rounds like rangers and paladin. Multiclassing not full casters together loses spellslots.

When I do the math on spell slots for 2/3it I get it to be the following. Level 1 depends on if you round like artificers or not. I would do.

level
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th

1st
0/2

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th

16th

17th

18th

19th

20th

Edit:
I would also make the spell list slightly smaller on the lower level as it currently gives more options than wizards of cantrips and 1st level spells. For your reference, wizards have 29 cantrips to chose from, 38 1st level spells, 47 2nd level, 43 3rd, 30 4th, 36 5th and 29 6th. You have 36 cantrips, 43 1st level, 41 2nd, 33 3rd, 21 4th, 21 5th, and 12 6th.

Prepared half casters can only prepare their mod + half of the levels in the class, so a 2/3 caster would likely only count 2/3s of their levels for preparing spells.

All of my comments are mostly formulaic as to how it is done before if you would want to adhere to it. I am not saying it is unbalanced, just structured differently.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-09-03, 08:34 AM
My main thought is about structure. 5e is very standardized; 2/3 casters really aren't a thing, and the ginormous number of cantrips known is also unprecedented. That's not bad, as such, but it is worth asking yourself how necessary it is.

In this case, you've got mechanics in place that do almost the same thing--wands improve your cantrip arsenel, and rods, staffs, and arcane division stretch your spell slots farther. My suggestion would be to pare back casting to the Artificer standard, but let you make wands of ANY Hedge Mage cantrip, not just the ones you know, and improve rods to incorporate a sort of Arcane Recovery type effect where they give you extra spell slots, not just empowered ones.

(I'd also suggest maybe combining all the implements you craft into a single talisman, so you're not juggling a dozen different sticks, but that's an asthetic issue you might disagree with)

I am a little concerned about the spell list, though. That's a REALLY strong list, and you can prepare anything on it, Cleric style, AND ritual cast anything you record in a spellbook? That's probably too much, and it feels thematically off-- the class seems to be set up to be a sort of less-educated-but-more-practical Wizard, and not needing a spellbook makes them feel MORE competent at magic than their counterpart.

Yakk
2020-09-03, 10:15 AM
I'd make it a 1/2 level caster and lean in on the rods and wands.

Give Wands the Rod power when they improve (upcast spells you know) as well as bonus action cantrips (note: Hedge 6/Warlock 2 is something you need to look at the balance of).

Rods become "imbue with a higher level Hedge Mage spell slot than you can cast", possibly with some additional benefit. Sort of a pseudo-Mystic Arcanum.

The upteen "split spells gets better" features are Zzz. Knowing what spells you can split and how gets fiddly. Also it is very unclear if or how it interacts with Rods as written (if I split a 3rd level spell into 1/1/1 then cast it with a rod, is it 2/2/2? I have no idea.)

Tanfoglio
2020-09-03, 09:47 PM
My main thought is about structure. 5e is very standardized; 2/3 casters really aren't a thing, and the ginormous number of cantrips known is also unprecedented. That's not bad, as such, but it is worth asking yourself how necessary it is.

the problem was 1/3 and 1/2 casters don't start with spellcasting, and making a spellcasting class that can't cast is, well... so adjusting the progression of spell slots (and so the progression of spells) to start at level one and continue at a rate of about half that of a full caster led to my chart. the cantrips seem like a lot, but the number is less impactful than the ability to cast them as bonus actions. as to precedence: lvl 4 v.human w/ magic initiate, celestial warlock, pact of the tome has 10 cantrips. at level 4.

the comments are helpful, thank you. I'm looking into splitting into a wand focused and arcane division focused subclasses, paring down the spell list to focus on the theme more (Wizard without formal training) and touching up some of the features for clarity. I'll look into using the 1/2 caster template paired with the cantrip progression, see if that doesn't feel too underpowered.
Much to do.

Fnissalot
2020-09-03, 10:58 PM
the problem was 1/3 and 1/2 casters don't start with spellcasting, and making a spellcasting class that can't cast is, well... so adjusting the progression of spell slots (and so the progression of spells) to start at level one and continue at a rate of about half that of a full caster led to my chart. the cantrips seem like a lot, but the number is less impactful than the ability to cast them as bonus actions. as to precedence: lvl 4 v.human w/ magic initiate, celestial warlock, pact of the tome has 10 cantrips. at level 4.

the comments are helpful, thank you. I'm looking into splitting into a wand focused and arcane division focused subclasses, paring down the spell list to focus on the theme more (Wizard without formal training) and touching up some of the features for clarity. I'll look into using the 1/2 caster template paired with the cantrip progression, see if that doesn't feel too underpowered.
Much to do.

Check the artificer. It has 1/2 with cantrips and casting from lvl 1

Yakk
2020-09-04, 06:42 PM
Yes, it is a 1/2 "round up" caster at level 1, instead of a round down at level 1.