PDA

View Full Version : Naming my villain

Redhood101
2020-09-01, 07:28 AM
I’m designing an epic campaign that sees the players jumping around the multiverse and building an army to stop “The Conqueror of Worlds”. So far he’s literally just Shao khan, an epic warrior that rules this multiverse empire and is creeping towards the main world.
My question is do I need to make a name for him or is The Conqueror of Worlds good enough? I’ve been having trouble coming up with a name for him as none seam to fit well. Would love advice for either a name or if I even need a name or is his title good enough?

Unoriginal
2020-09-01, 08:16 AM
I’m designing an epic campaign that sees the players jumping around the multiverse and building an army to stop “The Conqueror of Worlds”. So far he’s literally just Shao khan, an epic warrior that rules this multiverse empire and is creeping towards the main world.
My question is do I need to make a name for him or is The Conqueror of Worlds good enough? I’ve been having trouble coming up with a name for him as none seam to fit well. Would love advice for either a name or if I even need a name or is his title good enough?

I mean, you don't *need* a name, but it can be good to have one.

Would you mind telling us more about this bad guy, so we can help find a name that fit?

Personally, if you go for the "only known by their title" road, it's say that just calling him the Conqueror would be better than "Conqueror of Worlds". "Conqueror of Worlds" is a good epithet, but as a name "the Conqueror" alone has more impact, as it makes it both a statement and a promise.

cutlery
2020-09-01, 08:24 AM
A pretty mundane name might let it build up. I can't imagine most parents pick good multiverse-dominator names. Unless they're clairvoyants, of course.

Redhood101
2020-09-01, 08:28 AM
He is super into combat. He has heralds that do a lot of the heavy lifting but he can still often be found in the front lines. When he’s not in battle he is ok his throne over looking the gladiatorial arena he calls his home. Watching champions and prisoners of war battle for either freedom or to be one of his heralds. His own realm is a land of questionable morals. Slavery is legal and what few laws there are have the harshest of punishments. He invaded worlds cause in his mind he is a chosen one meant to reunite the multiverse into a single world, but by doing so he often destroys the worlds he conquers committing genicide on a scale never even fathomed before.

Unoriginal
2020-09-01, 09:07 AM
He is super into combat. He has heralds that do a lot of the heavy lifting but he can still often be found in the front lines. When he’s not in battle he is ok his throne over looking the gladiatorial arena he calls his home. Watching champions and prisoners of war battle for either freedom or to be one of his heralds. His own realm is a land of questionable morals. Slavery is legal and what few laws there are have the harshest of punishments. He invaded worlds cause in his mind he is a chosen one meant to reunite the multiverse into a single world, but by doing so he often destroys the worlds he conquers committing genicide on a scale never even fathomed before.

Sounds like just calling him "the Conqueror" is for the best, then.

Whoever he once was, if he ever was anything more, it seems that anything which isn't the Conqueror has long been consummed.

Though I must admit he makes me think more of the movie version of Thanos more than of Shao Khan.

Redhood101
2020-09-01, 09:15 AM
Sounds like just calling him "the Conqueror" is for the best, then.

Whoever he once was, if he ever was anything more, it seems that anything which isn't the Conqueror has long been consummed.

Though I must admit he makes me think more of the movie version of Thanos more than of Shao Khan.

He’s kind of a hybrid. Looks and battle wise he’s based off of Mk11 Shao khan. But I added some extra stuff to make him more interesting campaign wise. I’m also not going for any grey area with him. He is 100% the bad guy. But he does give worlds the option to either kneel before him as their true empour or be destroyed. Most think he’s joking. I’m going for a “the world the players are from knows nothing about the multiverse except for a few people” so the worlds leaders take it as a joke.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-01, 10:18 AM
I'd call him The Emperor, or Imperius, becaus that is how he sees himself: The Emperor of All Things (roughly) per your description. (He needs to conquer all worlds is the tip for me).

He invaded worlds cause in his mind he is a chosen one meant to reunite the multiverse into a single world, but by doing so he often destroys the worlds he conquers committing genicide on a scale never even fathomed before. A bit of Tamerlane thrown it, it seems. :smallcool:

Verble
2020-09-05, 01:24 PM
Sakuglak. Done.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-05, 01:26 PM
Call him...Jim.

da newt
2020-09-05, 04:12 PM
What would he name himself?

From your description it sounds like he's the sort of guy who would decide what his name / title is. For simplicity and as you stated "the Chosen One" might work.

For Sithlordnirgal - I'd counter "Tim" for Monty Python reasons ...