PDA

View Full Version : XP burn for do-over

Hilary
2020-09-01, 09:22 AM
So, there is a thing in UA that allows a wizard to swap a cantrip at level advancement.

What if changing class picks at level advancement cost XP.

So.. to swap out a cantrip, you have to level up with 10% more XP. That additional 10% is burned and you can swap out a cantrip... or maneuver if you are a fighter... or similar stuff.

cutlery
2020-09-01, 09:27 AM
One of the recent UAs is to allow most of this to change for free, and it was apparently one of the best received UAs to date: https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf

JNAProductions
2020-09-01, 09:52 AM
So, there is a thing in UA that allows a wizard to swap a cantrip at level advancement.

So.. to swap out a cantrip, you have to level up with 10% more XP. That additional 10% is burned and you can swap out a cantrip... or maneuver if you are a fighter... or similar stuff.

Sounds less fun than letting players fix a build without spending resources.

If the Wizard player is new, and takes True Strike, then realizes in play that it's utter trash, I wouldn't want to penalize them for not having real-world experience with that cantrip.

I'm also of the opinion that, unless there's a very compelling reason to the contrary, all players should be the same level. This goes directly against that.

Edea
2020-09-01, 10:10 AM
NO.

XP costs are not a part of 5e's design paradigm, that's right out.

They gutted and re-built how magic items work explicitly due to this game element being kiboshed.

Just let them swap it, hell I'd let them swap one just for finishing a long rest.

KorvinStarmast
2020-09-01, 10:15 AM

So.. to swap out a cantrip, you have to level up with 10% more XP. That additional 10% is burned and you can swap out a cantrip... or maneuver if you are a fighter... or similar stuff. This needs to be fleshed out and balanced across all classes to even be considered.

Part of 5e's schtick is 'no, you can't have it all, you need to make choices."

Magicspook
2020-09-01, 12:12 PM
I agree with the rest. There is no valid reason for penalising players who make a poor build choice. That just reeks of player vs DM.