PDA

View Full Version : Playing someones Animal Companion

jaappleton
2020-09-01, 01:18 PM
So my friend made a Ranger in our previous campaign. Beast Master.

No lie, the character made it about 30 minutes before they died.

Curse of Strahd Spoilers:

If you've played or DMed the CoS adventure, you know Esmerelda's wagon parked outside the tower? Well, he opened it. Kablammo! :smalltongue:

And he's sort of lamented he never even really got to play the PC. Which I totally understand. And he also laments how much the Beast Master overall is kinda... Not amazing.

I told him that if we get to a point in the campaign where we both want to replace our characters (Which I'm almost always willing to do, because I'm me), if he wants to have a character with some sort of animal companion, I'm willing to be that companion.

I wouldn't use a monster stat block, but a class. I can see a PC bear being a reflavored Leonin Barbarian or Fighter, using the Unarmed fighting style. This could work, I think, and the DM is fully on board with it, and is willing to let us share a bond to where we can communicate with eachother to a degree.

Anyone have experience with this? Any ideas?

Amnestic
2020-09-01, 01:42 PM
The Sidekick UA (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf)specifically calls out using animals as an option, with the only advice caveat being that the creature should be CR1 or lower. A brown bear has exactly that, and the Warrior option is a mix of barbarian and fighter.

Could be worth looking at? They're apparently getting printed in Tasha's in some form too.