PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The can do all build

redking
2020-09-01, 08:51 PM
Unearthed Arcana has a Rogue variant as follows, known as the 'feat rogue'.

Rogue
The rogue who favors martial training over stealth and cunning can profit if she chooses her fights carefully.

Gain
Bonus feats (as fighter).

Lose
Sneak attack.

This ACF drops sneak attack in exchange for feats and feat progression as a fighter.

Therefore, how about Feat Rogue 2, Monk 2, Fighter 2, Chameleon 10? That's a total of 6 feats gained from the feat rogue, monk and fighter. Is this an optimized build? Is there any way to further optimize it to 20 (or 21)?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-02, 01:54 AM
Feat Rogue (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) and 'Optimized' are seldom used in the same build.

I wouldn't exactly call yours optimized, unless you have some amazing goal to work toward with all of those feats. Also, replace Monk 2 with Psychic Warrior (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm) 2 unless there's a Monk variant (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) that gets the specific feats you want.

A more optimal use of Feat Rogue is to go Swordsage 1/ Swashbuckler 2 or 3/ Feat Rogue 4 or 3/ Swordsage +1/ Feat Rogue +12, take Assassin's Stance at Swordsage 2, and take Daring Outlaw as your 9th level feat. This adds your Rogue and Swashbuckler levels together and gives you the Sneak Attack of a standard Rogue of that level. Thus your Rogue levels give you the fighter feats and sneak attack progression, at 20th level you'll have 11d6 sneak attack in assassin's stance, plus all the bonus Fighter feats.

But in any case none of it is really even optimized. You'll have a much stronger combatant as an arcane gish or a DMM: Persist Cleric or as a single-classed Druid. Tons of Fighter feats early in the game doesn't really get you anywhere. What are you even going to take with all of those? What do you want the character to do (and having lots of feats is not a valid answer)?

bean illus
2020-09-03, 12:32 PM
Unearthed Arcana has a Rogue variant as follows, known as the 'feat rogue'.

This ACF drops sneak attack in exchange for feats and feat progression as a fighter.

Therefore, how about Feat Rogue 2, Monk 2, Fighter 2, Chameleon 10? That's a total of 6 feats gained from the feat rogue, monk and fighter. Is this an optimized build? Is there any way to further optimize it to 20 (or 21)?

I wouldn't exactly call yours optimized, unless you have some amazing goal to work toward with all of those feats.
A more optimal use of Feat Rogue is to go Swordsage 1/ Swashbuckler 2 or 3/ Feat Rogue 4 or 3/ Swordsage +1/ Feat Rogue +12, take Assassin's Stance at Swordsage 2, and take Daring Outlaw as your 9th level feat. .

. What are you even going to take with all of those? What do you want the character to do ... ?

Another way to say it is, optimized for what?
Two weapon fighting and archery are two paths that never have enough feats, but even then, in optimization early access to the most powerful class features is the goal, and low level fighter feats are not the most powerful class features.

For instance, with an Archer. The Fighter Feats you want need a minimum off 4 fighter levels.

There is a tripper build i just thought of, if i can remember.

Passive Way monk gets Combat Expertise and Improved Trip.
Invisible Fist monk nets invisibility every 3rd round.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency spiked chain
Weapon Focus

Combat Reflexes
Knock down

1. Improved Disarm
3. Sense Weakness
6. Mage Slayer MH

Human Feat is Able Learner
Chameleon is ECL 6, so entering at 7 is pretty nice.

You have the next 4 feats open to customize the build, as well as Chameleon's super cheese floating feat.

Chameleon is 3/4 bab, so you're down 3 bab at 7th level, but you have self buffs, and bfc, so that'll help. Your floating feat at 2nd is golden (make your own wands). When you hit Chameleon 5 you'll likely lean on Divine Power, if you intend to keep tripping/AoO.

At 16th you're 2 caster levels behind straight sorcerer. I think your equal with an early access mystic theurge, but with more spell choices than either.

Check out The Chameleon Handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=135.0)
to see just how impressive the spell access is.

I don't know what I would finish the last 4 levels with. Tome of Battle would be an easy choice.

That's the best i got.

Telonius
2020-09-03, 02:32 PM
"Optimized" can mean a lot of different things to different tables. In terms of theoretical optimization? Not very. Giving Fighters all of the Fighter bonus feats as soon as they qualify (as in, you get all of them as bonus feats, no questions asked) still wouldn't bump them up to Wizard-, Cleric-, or Artificer-level insanity. But depending on your table, it might make the character powerful and competitive, compared to what everyone else has brought.

bean illus
2020-09-03, 04:28 PM
There is a tripper build i just thought of, if i can remember.

Passive Way monk gets Combat Expertise and Improved Trip.
Invisible Fist monk nets invisibility every 3rd round.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency spiked chain
Weapon Focus

Combat Reflexes
Knock down

1. Improved Disarm
3. Sense Weakness
6. Mage Slayer MH

Human Feat is Able Learner

You have the next 4 feats open to customize the build, as well as Chameleon's super cheese floating feat.

Check out The Chameleon Handbook (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=135.0)
to see just how impressive the spell access is.

I don't know what I would finish the last 4 levels with. Tome of Battle would be an easy choice.

Maybe Abrupt Jaunt Wizard for a spell book, and a bit of battlefield teleport. Then ... whoops ... Chameleon spells don't qualify for prestige classes. The rest of this stands, i think

Channel Spell would be cool on a tripper. Ordained Champion, Duskblade and Spellsword all give channeling, but ... Ordained Champion 3 specifically says 'channel any spell you know into your melee weapon'. It cost a move action, but can hold a spell for 8 hrs, so you pretty much always have one ready at the beginning of an encounter.

Choose Illumian Human as race, and get another +2 on trip attempts. Choose Aesh + krau and cast BOTH divine and arcane based on your primary stat, strength.

Pick the Planar Touchstone feat. It grants any domain, that you cast as a cleric of your level.

Choose Magic Domain, and the Customize Domain feat. Remember to put it in the changeable feat slot.
Now you can cast ANY SPELL in the game, up to 8th level. And every day you can change the spell choices.

Cast Giant Size, 7th level Wu Jen. Now your 72 ft tall, have a Str 60+ (your casting stat).

You still have 2 feats ... Want Miracle? Take Planar Touchstone (again) and the Luck Domain.

Now your invisible, teleporting, polymorphed, striking anybody that moves OR attacks within a 140' diameter, TRIPPING AT +45+, channeling ANY spell (under 8th level) as a MOVE action, at CL 20, and at DC +25, ... and you have 1 feat left.

Not QUITE optimized, but close.

Does that work for you?

bean illus
2020-09-04, 09:14 AM
So, both Ordained Champion and Spellsword have spell prerequisites. That leaves only Duskblade 3 as a channeling option for this trip build.

Maybe eidetic wizard, instead of abrupt jaunt.

EDIT:
That's still not quite right.

Cleric 1 Ordained Champion 3 works also.
I like this one because of the 'any spell you know' wording, as opposed to Duskblade's 'touch spell of standard action or less'.

EDIT EDIT:
Here's the errata for the Ordained Champion:

Page 91 – Channel Spell
"At 3rd level, you can
channel any spell available to you
that has one creature or more as its
target into your melee weapon. Doing
so requires a move action and uses
up a spell slot or a prepared spell
of casting time no greater than one
standard action.”