PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Price for Magic Item sets.

Yael
2020-09-02, 04:26 AM
This thread is directed for the specific items in Dragon Magazine #314, from the Heroes of Might & Magic IV [Magic Item Sets] article in page 86.

These groups of items are pretty similar to the ones in the MiC, except they are way powerful and dependant on having the full set to enjoy the full benefits.Wayfarer Boots
+10 ft. of movement
+20 to Concentration (competence)
+8 Fort vs Spells
DR 15 / -
Angelfeather Cloak
10 Deflection to AC
Bag of Holding Type IV
Infinite Ink
Spell Resistance (Int Modifier x 5)
Substitution for material components (and eschew materials)
Archmage's Hat
+6 Enhancement to Intelligence
(Int x 10) extra skill points that may be spent daily
+100% Int Mod to a spell's DC
Staff of Disruption
Imposing Concentration to cast a spell on a target (with -6 to their check)
Lowering elemental resistances by 5 times a spell level as a touch attack
Ring of Flares
A Ring of Spell Storing (50 spell levels)
The ability to store metamagic feats that affect ALL spells inside the previous bonus.

Now, there may be better options, especially for high-level play, but all these effects come in 5 body slots (1 being slotless), and provide a high array of effects and bonuses, plus some abilities. That was the Archmage's Apparel, there's also two more sets, but the thing is, I am struggling to find a listed price, or should I consider these unique? Because the MiC has listed prices for similar items (albeit those provide far lesser bonuses, and each item has a static item instead of increasing with the amount of items of the set obtained individually). This also helps when the items are found, you know, because WBL and stuff.

So, has anyone come up with prices for these things? I suppose they shouldn't be that outrageous, considering the whole set is needed, but they couldn't be too low, as the big bonuses are indeed big.

YellowJohn
2020-09-02, 08:30 AM
A sampling of these major artifacts is presented here for use in your campeign.

Bottom of the first column, these are Major Artifacts. You can't just buy them, they have no list price.

Biggus
2020-09-02, 01:05 PM
If you were to assign a price to these it'd be way into epic, even if you reduced the costs for needing the full set: +10 Deflection AC costs 2 million GP on its own for example.

tyckspoon
2020-09-02, 03:16 PM
So, has anyone come up with prices for these things? I suppose they shouldn't be that outrageous, considering the whole set is needed, but they couldn't be too low, as the big bonuses are indeed big.

Many of those effects are not easily priceable, because they don't do anything that matches with common items/items that use any recognizable formula, but even the ones that do would place the items fairly far into Epic - DR 15/Adamantine costs 400,00 (Epic Ironskin Ring), making it typeless/no way to beat it would probably be 600-800 thousand instead. Deflection +10 is a nice whopping 2 Million. Spell Resistance is ... surprisingly cheap, 40 for 290,000. Gives a baseline to work from for guessing a decent price for the scaling this one provides (does it scale based on the actual raw Intelligence stat, or the Intelligence Modifier? One of them is going to be much much more expensive.)

Yael
2020-09-02, 06:39 PM
It's a shame those are major artifacts, oh well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-09-02, 06:44 PM
As YellowJohn pointed out, the article very clearly states that these are all unique artifacts (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm) and thus should never be available for purchase and are impossible to recreate.

Yael
2020-09-03, 01:45 AM
As YellowJohn pointed out, the article very clearly states that these are all unique artifacts (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm) and thus should never be available for purchase and are impossible to recreate.

Yeah, asking at almost 3am was probably a bit rushed, I checked again during the day and got to the "major artifacts" part, so yeah, I'm gonna ask the DM to place these in our current epic game.