PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The highest possible roll for an ability check

Ortho
2020-09-02, 06:03 PM
I'm not interested in practicality, this is more of a thought experiment than anything.

So far I've got a 20th-level Vedalken Artificer rolling to pick a lock with Thieves' Tools:
1d20 + 5 (Dexterity) + 12 (Tool Expertise) + 5 (Gloves of Thievery) + 1d4 (Tireless Precision) + 1d4 (Guidance), for a potential maximum of 50.

Can we go any higher than this? It doesn't have to be with Thieves' Tools; I'm interested in the highest possible outcome of any ability check.

OldTrees1
2020-09-02, 06:11 PM
Did you mention having a wonderful bard nearby? They can be inspiring. +1d12
Although it might be more meaningful if you removed task specific modifiers like Thieves Gloves. For the same reason I would ignore things like the Barbarian capstone (currently not appearing in the OP).

Quietus
2020-09-02, 06:49 PM
A Ranger, hiding. Use a feat or a dip to get Stealth expertise and Guidance.

Dex : 5
Camouflage : 10
Pass Without Trace : 10
Proficiency + Expertise : 12
Guidance : 1d4
Bardic inspiration (ally) : 1d12
Roll : 1d20

Could hit a total of 73, and I'm certain I'm missing something here.

MaxWilson
2020-09-02, 07:31 PM
Switch to a Hobgoblin Lore Bard so you can get Peerless Skill (extra +d12) and the hobgoblin face saving thing (+5 in front of 5 or more allies).

Make it a Dex 30 bard from epic play (taking ASIs instead of Epic Boons, or finding tomes of Dex raising) for another +5.

Get a friendly Artificer to use Flash of Genius to help you for anther +5.

Clerical_Checks
2020-09-02, 07:46 PM
I don't know if it is permissible to link to other forums here, so if you search the string:

"What is the highest total result one can get for a skill check?"

You should get the procedure/maths to get it to 169, and a method of making it arbitrarily large in a thought-experiment type way.
(And it appears correct from a glance)

MaxWilson
2020-09-02, 07:59 PM
I don't know if it is permissible to link to other forums here, so if you search the string:

"What is the highest total result one can get for a skill check?"

You should get the procedure/maths to get it to 169, and a method of making it arbitrarily large in a thought-experiment type way.
(And it appears correct from a glance)

Linking to StackExchange is commonplace and permissible, although your directions are also easy to follow (thank you).

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/144371/what-is-the-highest-total-result-one-can-get-for-a-skill-check

TL;DR the theoretically-infinite version is stacking Epic Boon of fate from arbitrarily-many creatures, but it probably doesn't work because you can't normally stack the same feature more than once. It's the same reason you can't just use arbitrarily-many Artificers with Flash of Genius.

Naanomi
2020-09-02, 08:45 PM
Appropriate Attribute 30: +10
Proficiency Bonus: +6
Ioun Stone of Mastery: +1
Bardic Inspiration: +12
Guidance: +4
Epic Boon of Luck: +10
Dark One's Own Luck: +10
*Expertise: +7* (assuming Ioun Stone of Mastery is applied first)
**Gloves of Thievery: +5
***Pass without Trace: +10
***Epic Boon of Undetectability: +10

Eldariel
2020-09-03, 01:36 AM
Switch to a Hobgoblin Lore Bard so you can get Peerless Skill (extra +d12) and the hobgoblin face saving thing (+5 in front of 5 or more allies).

Make it a Dex 30 bard from epic play (taking ASIs instead of Epic Boons, or finding tomes of Dex raising) for another +5.

Get a friendly Artificer to use Flash of Genius to help you for anther +5.

You can also get 30 Dex through Shapechange into Will-o'-Wisp followed by reading the tome. Will-o'-Wisps have Dex of 28 and the tome gives +2 for a Dex of 30. Of course, then you're literally just a ball of light which can be inconvenient at times.

Appropriate Attribute 30: +10
Proficiency Bonus: +6
Ioun Stone of Mastery: +1
Bardic Inspiration: +12
Guidance: +4
Epic Boon of Luck: +10
Dark One's Own Luck: +10
*Expertise: +7* (assuming Ioun Stone of Mastery is applied first)
**Gloves of Thievery: +5
***Pass without Trace: +10
***Epic Boon of Undetectability: +10

You forgot Peerless Skill.