PDA

View Full Version : GITP Monster Competition XV - Home and Hearth (VOTE NOW!)

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-01, 06:44 AM
Home and Hearth

http://www.photosleeve.com/d/361039-1/domovoi.jpg

Last night I met, upon the stair,
A little man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd go away...

Home is where the heart is, that is what they say. A place of safety and familiarity. Many beings are attracted to such surroundings. Whether there are monsters under the bed, creepie-crawlies in the walls, or simply a pet on the rug, households tend to attract others to them. The relationship may be symbiotic, for mutual protection and aid. Others are as parasites or predators, preying on those that inhabit such dwellings, destroying all sense of security. Gather 'round the fireplace and let them tell their tales...

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

The contest begins with the posting of this thread and will continue until Midnight of November 20th (EST).

Soon after a poll will be opened for everyone to vote for their favorite that will last until midnight of the 30th.

Rules

1. You will be creating an 'original' D&D monster. A creature that lives exclusively within or is part of the homes of others.

Examples
Cellarblight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11567)
Man Who Wasn't There (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59088)

2. The entry must include name, complete stat-block, physical description, basic background information, and detailed combat behavior if any. A plot hook or similiar in addition is optional. Incomplete entries will be disqualified upon the deadline.

3. Entries must be 3.5 edition, using the standard format listed below (not that new one seen in the Monster Manual IV, except for a lore section which is encouraged).

4. Post all entries on this thread. Do not post conversation here. Any and All Comments and discussions will take place on a separate thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1499183).

5. One entry per participant.

6. Entries copied from some other source (splatbook, alternate website, etc) will be disqualified. All entries must be a new creation, not one already posted. Merely adding class levels or templates to an already published or posted creature does not count as a new monster.

7. No reserving posts. Feel free to post a creature and tweak it, but you have to have the basic beast already done.

http://www.photosleeve.com/d/361520-1/MUB.jpg

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-01, 06:46 AM
Vorpal Tribble's Guide To Making Monsters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43009)

As well, here is the standard 3.5 monster format. Only complete entries will be accepted. If there are any questions feel free to ask me or post queries in the GITP Contest Chat Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1499183).

-=-=-=-

Name

<Size> <Type>
Hit Dice:
Initiative:
Speed: (# squares)
Armor Class: (), touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +
Abilities: Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
Skills:
Feats:
Environment:
Organization:
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
Alignment:
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Description/background/characteristics

Combat

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore

Plot Hook/Story if any

Penguinizer
2007-11-01, 11:03 AM
-=-=-=-

Fungal Banshee
Fine Plant (Aberration)
Hit Dice1d8 (1)
Initiative+0
Speed 5 ft (1 square), Climb: 5ft (1 square)
Armor Class 18 (+8 Size Bonus), 18, 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-20
Attack None
Full Attack Infect (Special Attack)
Space/Reach 0ft/0ft (5ft reach for Infect.)
Special Attacks Infect
Special Qualities Tremor Sense, Scent, Fungal.
Saves Fortitude: -4, Reflex: +0, Will: +2
Abilities Str: 2, Dex: 11, Con: 3, Int: 8, Wis: 10, Cha: 1
Skills
Hide:2 ranks.
Move Silently: 2 ranks.
Feats Stealthy
Environment Urban
Organization Fungal Banshees grow in large colonies. Often starting from a single infected creature. They live in colonies of up to thousands in single area. New colonies are created when an infected creature enters an un-colonized area, and dies, which causes new Fungal Banshees to grow.
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure Anything that would have been on an infected creature, assuming the creature is found.
Alignment Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement -
Level Adjustment -
Like most creatures foul, the Fungal Banshee was created as a sick joke by the forgotten gods. Living in a constant state of hunger it consumes the very cranial components of the unlucky subject. Growing like most molds. It does not appear in-different from any of them. It is a sickly green and brown color, growing on walls and ceilings alike. But, it can move at a slow pace. In appearance. It is called the Fungal Banshee due to the banshee like screams of agony of it's victims just before their death as their vital organs are being turned into sludge.
Combat
The Fungal Banshee works through infecting those it senses weak. It sneaks up on them in a dark area, attempting to infect them without any notice. If spotted, it attempts to briskly infect the target creature. They attack the creature that they judge as being the most feeble, based on observation.
Plot Hook/Story if any
Possible plot hook, village has been utterly devastated by a large growth of these, spreading through the well, and infecting the villagers. Later, it is revealed that someone is planning on planting them into a largely populated city.
Fungal Due to being a sentient mass, composed of millions of spores, the Fungal Banshee is immune to criticals. It can also squeeze through the smallest cracks, allowing it to pass through some structure walls. Due to it's state, it takes 1 damage each minute it spends in direct sunlight, outside of a host.
Infect As a Full Round action, the Fungal Banshee may attempt a touch attack against one foe within it's reach. If the attack succeeds, the target must succeed on a fortitude save with a DC of 16. If the target fails. The Fungal Banshee spreads it's spores to the target. The spores have an incubation period of 2d6 hours. During which they are un-noticable without a DC 16 heal check. Un-less healed with a spell such as Greater Restoration, Heal, or Miracle/Wish, the spores can't be removed unless they learn of a way to stop them, this requires a knowledge (dungeoneering or nature(?) with a DC 25. After this, a character can craft a potion to delay the effects (but not remove them) with a craft (alchemy) check with a DC of 21. The ingredients cost 120 GP (more or less depending on setting). After the incubation period. The spores spread to the targets brain, growing in it rapidly they starve it of blood and nutrients, which they use to grow. The target suffers 2d6 ability drain to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma per minute. Once any one of these scores drains to 0. The target immediately dies. From the corpse, 2d6 new Fungal Banshees are created. The infected target is compelled very strongly to move to a wet and dark interior space. (DC 20 will save to resist)
During the time the character takes damage, they are dazed, and can only perform standard actions. This ability can be used during a charge.
Split Once per 8 hours. Each Fungal Banshee splits into 3. Once the area is filled with them to the point that there is at least 5 in each square available. Including walls and roof, the Fungal Banshee stops this process.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Vrel
2007-11-01, 04:53 PM
Gray Master

Before you sits an almost ancient looking man. His smile cracks literally from ear to ear as he welcomes you to his humble abode. With catlike reflexes, he stands to his feet and bows, careful that you never leave his gaze…

Gray Master
Medium Humanoid (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 12d8 + 24 (78)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 15, touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+9
Attack: Heavy Mace +11 Melee (1d8 x2 critical)
Full Attack: Heavy Mace +11 melee (1d8 x2 critical), Heavy Mace +6 Melee (1d8 x2 critical)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Cubiculum Animus, The Master’s Touch, The walls have Eyes,
Special Qualities: Incorporeal, Attunement, Only the Finest
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +10, Will +6
Abilities: Str -, Dex 14 , Con 14 , Int 10 , Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +10, Diplomacy +10, Listen +8, Sense Motive +8, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse (b), Simple Weapon Proficiency, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Any Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Background Information

A Gray Master takes on the appearance of an Old man, no matter what his true age is. Most are seen wearing garb common to an aristocrat, though occasionally they will step even further up the social ladder and wear that which is suited for royalty. To go along with his exquisite attire, a Gray Master has an equally exquisite personality. Many who run across them on the streets find them to be charming and spry; a welcome addition to any community.

Gray Masters are most commonly found in large cities, though they have been known to take up residence in smaller communities. They seek out the finest home they can find and attempt to take it for their own by any means they deem fit. Some go to the extremes of turning the current residents into furniture. Perhaps an oak chest or a new Dining Room set. Others exchange their services as glorified butlers for room and board. A Gray master is quite the useful security guard, as any home invader is likely to become a footstool. The Gray Master's pleasant disposition makes it quite easy for him to infiltrate the homes of the elderly and make himself welcome, so they are commonly found coexisting peacefully with Widows.

Occassionally, Gray masters may be forced to live in abandoned homes or run down shacks. Though it is against their liking, it is necessary; for without a home to call their own, a Gray master will wither and die.

Once the Gray master has established his residence, he spends 24 hours bonding with it; learning every nook and cranny, every secret passage. After bonding, the gray master will animate any items in the home that can be used for cleaning, commanding them to keep the home spick and span. One can always tell that a Gray Master has taken up residence as soon as they step inside. It is made evident by the unattended brooms and feather dusters furiously cleaning the already pristine domain.

Special Abilities

Cubiculum Animus (Su): The Gray Master is called such due to his ability to command the home in which he resides. Once per day as a full round action, the gray master may call several pieces of furniture in one room to life. The Gray master can animate up to 12 Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects as per the spell “animate objects”. Animated furniture remains animated for 5 rounds, the Gray Master wills them back to their original state, or he is killed. All pieces of furniture animated in this way receive a +1 circumstance bonus to hit and damage. Note: Players who are transformed via The Master’s Touch cannot be animated in this way.

The Master’s Touch (Su): Anyone damaged by the Gray master is subject to the Master’s Touch. After a successful Melee Attack, the Gray master may attempt to transform whoever he damaged into piece of furniture for 1d4 rounds (Will Save DC 19 negates). While in this transformed state, the player may not move, attack, or cast any spells with somatic or verbal components. Other polymorph spells, Remove Curse or other similar abilities reverses this condition. Anyone under the effect of the Master’s Touch immediately reverts to their original form upon the death of the Gray Master.

The Walls Have Eyes (Su): The Gray Master is instantly aware of anyone who enters his domicile, regardless of any effects currently imposed on the Gray Master. Anyone moving about through his home can be easily tracked. Only other incorporeal creatures may enter the Gray Master’s home without immediately alerting him.

Attunement (Su): All weapons wielded by the Gray Master are considered as ghost touch weapons.

Only the Finest (Su): When forced to live in any home that is not in some way decadent or when the Gray Master has no home at all, he recieves a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, skill checks, and saving throws. Every week the Gray master is without a home, he must make a Will Save (DC 15 + number of weeks Homeless) or die, dissappearing into nothingness.

Combat
The Gray Master prefers diplomacy over brute force, but if he cannot convince his pursuers to leave him in peace, he will attempt to intimidate his opponents by transforming one of the attackers into a piece of furniture. If he is still forced to fight, he will animate the furniture in his chambers and call them to attack, targeting spell casters first, as they can use his tricks against him.

If the home the Gray Master has chosen contains any magical items, the Gray Master will make use of them in any way possible, especially if there are any wands. If the Gray Master is approaching death, he will attempt to bribe his way out of the confrontation, offering everything he possibly can in return for his life.

Plot Hooks
Thank god you are here. It's my grandfather... He's taken in a new boarder who I fear has nothing but ill intentions for him. The man appears to be quite a gentleman, but he just seems... off. I cant quite explain it but I just know that he is up to no good. Just days after my grandmother's disappearance, he comes rolling into town and charms my grandfather into letting him stay in a guest room. He isn't even paying my grandfather room and board! It is all just too coincidental. Investigate this man and, if he proves to be as dangerous as i suspect, eliminate him! But my grandfather must never know of this. If he discovers you, he won't hesitate to kill you. But you must not harm him! Get in and get out without being discovered or I'll have your heads!

He's taken my home... He's taken my husband... He's taken everything. Please, you have to help me! My poor jonathan welcomed a stranger into our home last week during a terrible rain storm. He was just an old man, how could he have done this? He was just an... Oh, I'm sorry. I am rambling. As I was saying: My husband let this elderly man into our home during the rains. We cooked him dinner and he entertained us with song and tales of his travels far and wide. I cannot quite grasp what happened next...He touched Jonathan and he...he just twisted into a grandfather clock.. Did you hear what I said? A GRANDFATHER CLOCK! that sick bastard took my only family away from me. I want him dead! Bring me his head and I'll give you anything you want... Just get my revenge for me.
-------------------------------------------
This creature is, in my opinion, far too similar to the man who wasnt there. I did not realize the similarities when creating him, but have since gone back and reread the man who wasnt there. As such, I am withdrawing this submission for voting purposes. I leave the creature here for others to view, but ask that those who participate in voting do so for other more original homebrews.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-01, 07:26 PM
Dopplepunkt aka Doppelganger Lead
Small Construct
HD 4d10 +10 (Average 32hp)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares);
Init: 0
AC 11 (+1 size); touch 11; flat-footed 11
BAB +3; Grp +1
Attack Pseudopodia arm +6 (1d6+3)
Full-Attack Pseudopodia arm +6 (1d6+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Morphic Weapon
Special Qualities Detect Magic, Morph, Print, Stash, construct traits (low-light vision and darkvision 60 ft.)
Saves Fort +1 Ref +1 Will +1
Abilities Str 15, Dex 10, Con -, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills none
Feats none
Environment Urban
Organization Utensil (1), Set (2-6)
Challenge Rating 4
Treasure None
Alignment Always neutral

Dopplepunkts are to objects as doppelgangers are to humanoids (some say that they were inspired or even created by doppelgangers). They are mindless constructs which replace everyday objects in people's houses and "feed" on magical items. Their origin is unknown. Some people say that they are created by troublesome doppelgangers as a joke, others point the finger at more human tricksters and others still claim that it is a plot by a group of evil, intelligent constructs to destroy all living beings (the later theory tends to appear among diviners and psions after encounters with allips). Because if its weakness to them (i.e. being instantly annihilated) a dopplepunkt will avoid going within 10 feet of any extradimentional space such as portable holes or handy haversacks, even if this means breaking its cover, being a creature of magic it will likewise avoid anti-magic fields, although it will suffer no ill effects from these it will have its life drained away faster (1 years worth of energy will take a month, one months worth will take a week and so on). If it is discovered or cannot find any magical items within 1d4 days in a house it will move on to another house.

A dopplepunkt in its natural form resembles a soft, grey cube (think along the lines of a dice) with a pseudopodia extending from one corner, resting on the top face and two strong legs coming out of two parallel faces.

Detect Magic (Sp) A dopplepunkt is treated as having a permanent detect magic ability. It will always move (insect like) towards the strongest source of magic in the hope of finding "food".

Morphic Weapon (Ex) The dopplepunkt may alter the shape of the pseudopodia (a free action) to change the type of damage it deals. The shapes it can choose are a club (bludgeoning damage), a spike (piercing damage) or a blade (slashing damage). It does not have enough intelligence to choose a weapon to suit a target (e.g. to overcome DR). If it finds that one of its pseudopodia’s ends is not doing enough damage to a target (less than 3 points for two concurrent hits) it will switch to another (flip a coin to decide).

Morph (Ex) The dopplepunkt may remember the shape of three objects (this takes a full round action and it must be within 5ft. of the object). It can change into the shape of those items at will. It cannot move while morphed, nor can it mimic any magical qualities or complex mechanisms, it simply turns into a solid model of the object. It may also make its surface any combination of any textures it has remembered with its print ability (see below). It may only change to a shape the same size as itself or smaller (the excess material is stored in the same dimensional space as an item captured with its stash ability) however it may become a scaled up or down version of an item (e.g. turning into a figurine of a person). It can always assume the exact shape of an object it has stashed.

Print (Ex) The dopplepunkt may copy up to 5 textures (the appearance and tactile sensation of a surface) it is within 5 feet of. Each texture consists of a 1ft. (or smaller) area. It may change any of its outside surfaces to match this texture. For example it may copy the texture of stone and then assume it to appear to be a statue of an object or person it has already remembered the shape of. If it doesn't assume a texture then (regardless of what shape it assumes) the surface of the dopplepunkt always looks like lead. A dopplepunkt may assume more than one texture (for example a wooden texture and a moss texture to appear as a rock). It can always assume the exact texture of an item it has stashed.

Stash (Sp) A dopplepunkt may transport any item of its own size or smaller to an extra dimensional space (treat it as a bag of holding which only stores one item of small size or less). This causes it to automatically avoid any other extra dimensional space as it would be destroyed if it entered. If it stashes a magical item then it drains +1 worth of magic abilities per week (alchemical items provide a weeks worth of life and are consumed in an hour) and gains an extra year of "life". The ability is lost from the magic item and cannot be returned by any means. If the dopplepunkt runs out of "life" it ceases to function and collapses into a puddle of molten lead (unless it has a magical item stashed). Any magical item which has all of its abilities removed crumbles to dust, which is unceremoniously dumped by the dopplepunkt. It may not have more than one item stashed at once.

Combat

A dopplepunkt will not enter combat unless it is cornered. Being non-intelligent they will attack until they have an opportunity to escape. If they have space and are low on life then they may attack to obtain a magical item to feed off. They will never willingly go near (10ft.) any form of extra dimensional space or antimagic device/field.

In combat they will attack the nearest target until either is dead or it can scurry off. If the target suffers no perceivable damage then they will randomly switch to another pseudopodia shape (by default it is a club), flip a coin to determine which using the following table;

Current Shape|Heads|Tails
Club (Bludgeon)|Spike (Piercing)|Sword (slashing)
Spike (Piercing)|Sword (slashing)|Club (Bludgeon)
Sword (slashing)|Club (Bludgeon)|Spike (Piercing)

Suggested Uses

The dopplepunkt has a low CR so it is likely that any of the PCs will either have very few magic items or none if they face it in combat. At later levels it could be used as a nuisance, a plot hook or just a way to get rid of a magic item which the DM feels is too powerful for the PCs.

Plot Hooks

-A local lord has found that (after a spate of recent thefts from other houses in the last few months) some of his possessions are disappearing. The PCs are hired to catch the burglar
-The PCs are contacted by an elderly, retired adventurer (possibly a mentor or relative of the party) whose prized sword has disappeared. The PCs agree to find it for him.
-A strange diviner is convinced that his home is full of dopplepunkts which are attempting to kill him. He hires the PCs to route them out.

littlechicory
2007-11-03, 01:57 PM
My first homebrewed creature, for my first GITP Monster Competition. PM me if something's wrong with it!

Domestic Brownie
Size/Type: Small Fey
Hit Dice: 1d6-1 (2 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 Dex, +1 size), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: 0/-5
Attack: N/A
Full Attack: N/A
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort -1, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
Skills: Profession (domestic) +7, Spot +9, Listen +9, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Bluff +4
Feats: Alertness
Enviroment: Urban
Organization: Solitary, Company (2), Crowd (3)
Challange Rating: 1
Alignment: Usually NG
Advancement: by character class
Favored Class: NPC classes, usually expert or adept
Level Adjustment: +2

The sooty little woman shrieks when she realizes she's been seen, and waves her broom at you. A bright burst of color blinds you, and when it clears, she's gone.

Brownies are cheerful, helpful fey that clean up the houses of good people as they sleep. Usually, they're female, but male brownies are not unheard of-- both genders are, however, extremely shy. A brownie usually looks like a small humanoid, but is extremely thin and dirty, with patched clothes in a state of terrible disrepair.
Some households view brownies as pests, as they will pinch misbehaving children or evildoers in their sleep, and there are several well-known ways of getting rid of brownies, most of which involve approaching one. One is to stay up and approach them; another is to scatter grain or salt, compelling the brownie to seek out and clean up every grain until they can be approached. Leaving an offering of clean clothes will also drive away brownies.
Brownies speak Common, if they stick around long enough to talk.

Combat: Brownies would rather flee than fight. A typical tactic is to use color spray to blind would-be attackers, then escape or hide until they go away.
Spell-like Abilities: Color Spray and Faerie Fire at will.

PLAYER CHARACTERS: Brownies almost never adventure, as the adventuring lifestyle tends to involve being seen and interacted with by others. Those that do are typically sub-par for the species anyway, and have the following statistics:
+2 Dex, +4 Wis, -2 Str, -2 Con
+4 to Disguise checks to pass as halflings.
Spell-like Abilities: Color Spray 1/day, Faerie Fire 3/day
Level Adjustment: +1
Favored Class: Rogue
Special: Brownies are fastidious to the point of obsessive-compulsive disorder, and should be roleplayed accordinigly.

Plot Hook: A wealthy shoemaker owes his success to the brownies who sneakily help with his work and clean up his shop whilst he's asleep. However, after one of his daughters left some doll clothes out one night, the brownies have vanished, and he hires the PCs to find them and persuade them to come back.

Kyace
2007-11-04, 07:08 AM
Devouring Domicile

Colossal Construct (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 10d10+80 (135 hp)
Initiative: -5
Speed: 0 ft.
Armor Class: (-3), touch -3, flat-footed -3
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/-
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 30 ft/0 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate Shrubbery, Caster Connection, Change the Lock, Good Hope, Supplanting Shuffle, Unseen Guards
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Hardness 8, Immune to Cold, Electricity and Fire, Acid and Sonic Resistance 8, Tremorsense 100',
Saves: Fort +3, Ref -, Will +3
Abilities: Str -, Dex -, Con -, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 15
Skills: +21 Listen*
Feats: -
Environment: Towns, Villages and Distant planes that man ought not know.
Organization: Solo
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard (In household goods)
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: None

Devouring Domicile appears to be a summoned house, usually by the spell secure shelter, when it in fact a strange life form, finding entry into this plane via repeated conjuring magic near a planar rift. To the untrained eye, this domicile appears an older cottage made of wood the density of stone, with grills over the windows and shutter over flue. The shingles are made of the same stone-like wood with a chimney projecting up. The door is slightly ajar, enough so that a table and a fireplace can be seen.

Once you enter, the door swings close as by a breeze and you feel quite content to just stay here...

Devouring Domicile is an animal like beast thats made its way into this world by an unlikely spell. Confused and hungry, it seeks to be useful and content, by gathering guests and keeping then, by force if needed.

* The Domicile has a racial bonus to listen of +13 and a circumstance bonus of +8 if target is on a surface that the Domicile's tremorsense works on, even if out of range; this bonus is included in the stats above.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Animate Shrubbery (Sp): At will, the Devouring Domicile may animate plants, as the spell with a caster level 10. A domicile normally only uses this to defend itself.

Caster Connection (Su): The Devouring Domicile always knows the direction and distance to the last caster to summon it with Secure Shelter. It may use this information to shuffle to a village that the caster is in or near.

Change the Lock (Su): The doors and shutters are arcane locked, as the spell with a caster level 10, except that the domicile may change who can open locked items as a free action.

Good Hope (Su): Any intelligent creature entering a domicile is subject to a good hope effect that lasts as long as the subject is in the house, as the spell, Will save DC 17 (Charisma based). Once a day, after the first, subjects may retry the will save as a full round action. The morale bonus to saves does not apply to this save. Every day after the first the save DC increases by +2, which is cumulative, and a natural 20 no longer automatically succeeds. While under the effects of this Good Hope effect, the subjects cannot leave the domicile. This is a mind-affecting compulsion enchantment morale effect. Crushing Despair dispels this effect and Calm Emotions negates the effect long enough for the subject to leave. Other spells and effects that dispel or negate morale effects may do so here.

Supplanting Shuffle (Sp): Once a day, a Devouring Domicile may temporarily replace a vacant house or space. Overnight, it typically appears, covering the location for as long as the caster that summoned it is in the area. When it leaves, the original house or space is returned. This is a Conjuration Teleportation effect, caster level 10.

Unseen Guards (Su): One of the domicile's unseen servants can attack, disarm and trip in addition to its normal duties and powers. Treat as an invisible unarmed human with 6 HP, strength 10 and the domicile's BAB. As a full round action, the domicile can summon another unseen guard should the first be defeated. As a free action, an unseen guard may be dismissed. The unseen guard must stay within 50' of the domicile and only one unseen guard may exist at a time. A domicile normally only uses this to defend itself.

Combat
Should subtlety not work, the domicile will defend itself. The unseen servants will have attempted to place the weapons and spell books out of reach before a fight begins. Once it begins, the unseen guard attempts to disarm subjects and let the normal unseen servants carry the weapons away. The domicile itself will use its animate shrubbery effect on any plant-life in the area: a potted plant often cultivated for this purpose that animates into a small creature.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore
Spellcraft if witnessed the Secure Shelter cast/Knowledge (Planes) if not
{table=head]DC|Lore
15|Something about that house doesn't seem right.
20|The house may be alive and unsafe.
25|Conjuring spells may sometimes rarely summon the wrong creature.
30|This house is trying to keep people inside.[/table]

Plot Hook/Story if any
Coming soon.

Finerty
2007-11-05, 05:06 PM
I know it's bad form to post something with a few stats still missing, but it's virtually done, and all the statistics you'll ever ACTUALLY use are there. It'll be fully done in just a little bit.

Serviceforged

Iron Butler
Medium Construct (Living Construct)
Hit Dice: 1d8+0 (4hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 dex, +2 heavy wooden shield), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-1
Attack: Slam -1 (1d6-1)
Full Attack: Slam -1 (1d6-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will -1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Diplomacy +9, Profession (Manservant) +6
Feats: Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
Challenge Rating: 1/3
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

The serviceforged butler presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 12

Serviceforged appear as thin, pleasantly-shaped and tastefully-decorated constructs. Related more to the warforged race than to golems, they nonetheless exist in a servant capacity, rather than as independent adventurers. While they maintain their sentience, and each serviceforged harbors its own desires and goals, they are designed to fit seamlessly into general humanoid society as noncombatants, and are usually content to work their way through life filling the positions they were created for.

Combat
Serviceforged avoid combat, attempting to use diplomacy until their existence is in real danger, at which point they flee if possible and use primitive slams if not.

Lore

Serviceforged as Characters
Most serviceforged have levels in the noncombatant classes such as Expert and Aristocrat. Some serviceforged have a more blunt bent and are programmed as warriors in order to provide simple but effective golem bodyguards.
Serviceforged characters possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Charisma, -2 Strength. Serviceforged are designed to be much more socially integrated than their bellicose cousins, and their elegant craftsmanship makes them less robust.
- Serviceforged base land speed is 30 ft.
- Automatic Shield Proficiency

Glorytome
2007-11-06, 01:09 AM
The Clouded Gordo
Gargantuan Evil Outsider
HD: 188 (15D12+90)
Speed: 40 feet (hover)
Armor Class: 22(+14 natural,+2 Dex,-4 size)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +7/-20
Attack: Slam +10(4D8+11)
Full Attack: Slam +10(4D8+11)
Space/Reach:20ft/0ft
Special Attacks: Chain Lightning, Disquise Self(Cloud)
Saves: Fortitude +12, Reflex +5 Will +3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 14, Con 20, Wis 11, Int 11, Cha 8
Skills: N/A
Feats: N/A
Environment: Celestia
Groups: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Level Adjustment: None

The clouded Gordo is a replica of the boss in the classoc kirby series. He shoots lightning out of his one eye, is shrouded by clouded and instead of shooting out waddledoos I gave him hidden spikes.

The Clouded Gordo will wait for adventurers or random spirits to cease its boredom. When not in combat it will be disquised as a cloud to try to get in surprise rounds. It just like knocking into its enemies.

CabbageTheif
2007-11-07, 12:22 PM
bisect8, your dopplepunkt inspired me, thank you

The Kulreich von Lemminstantrophonees Legacy

Tiny Construct
Hit Dice: 6d10 (33)
Speed: 5 feet per round (one square)
Armor Class: 18 (+2 dex, +6 size, 18 touch), 16 flat-footed (plus dex mod from holder, if being held or worn)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/ -8
Attack: slam +4 (1, sometimes poison)
Full Attack: slam +4 (1, sometimes poison)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./ 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Paralysis and aging OR Fear OR Poison, Create Legacy, Gnome Traits
Special Qualities: Construct, Gnome Affinity, Detect Kobold
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 15, Con- , Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff 6, Sense Motive 6, Hide 8
Feats: Ability Focus (Paralysis or Fear or Poison), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (DM’s Choice), Quicken Spell-Like Ability (DM’s Choice)
Environment: Home
Organization: Solitary, or as a horde (1d4+1)
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: N
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment:-

Lidda volunteered to take the first watch. Not being charitable, she wants to look at a curious item they found in the mansion. Mialee assured the party that the old sock was strongly magical, but she wasn’t sure what it did. Ever-inquisitive, the little rouge puts the sock on while everyone slept…

Tordek wakes to a bloodcurdling scream. Grabbing his ax and looking around for the source, he only sees Lidda, the others still sleeping and not a monster in sight. She is in a tree with a noose around her neck. He notes a look of terror on her face, but she seems entirely willing to leap…

Description
There has been general confusion regarding these nouns. Some classify them as animated objects; others would call them cursed items. But they are, in fact, their own nonliving organism, capable of 'eating' and reproduction. They can look like any tiny sized item, from a book to a candlestick to a pair of glasses. This is not an illusion; they truly are those items. They have the ability to move, although slowly, and have their individual personalities. Communicating with them, however, is hard as they view most humanoids as inferior, a trait they keep from their original creator. These items use the death of a humanoid in order to create new items. Each has one of three abilities to kill, and after killing a humanoid will itself ‘die’, that is, the magic will leave the item and the item itself will be no more than a mundane thing one could use normally. At that point, some items near the dead humanoid will become ‘awakened’, and be the new heirs to the legacy. They have the memory of all of the items before them, and the same powers, but have their distinctive own personality.

Combat
the item will pretend to be part of a treasure trove, some item left by a dead relative or any other seemingly harmless small item that a character would be likely to keep. The item would find one person who they could kill in order to create more. If this happens in a battle situation, these new monster-items would lie low in hopes that the party would overlook them. If the party attempts to find them with a detect magic spell, they will continue using their abilities until the entire party is dead. Because of the shared memory, they will know from their predecessor the round that happened previous to their creation.
Poison-A Legacy item descendent from the spoon has the ability to poison. This can be in the form of injury, contact, inhaling, or ingestion. At will, it will use its poison to kill an opponent, dealing one permanent con damage on the first round and 3d6 second round. A search check 20 would find the ability to poison beforehand, but after the death is impossible because the magic has left the monster-item. Common monster-item include a necklace, eating tools (plate, cup) DC 20 fort negates
Paralysis- A Legacy item descendent from the Book have the ability to look fascinating, and when someone is done looking at it, they realize that they are frozen to the spot. As they sit, they begin to age one category every round. Once they become older than venerable, they die of apparent old age. If the item is taken from the humanoids eyesight in any way, the hold is broken but the character is stuck at the age he or she was left at. (See page 109 of the PhB for aging effects) will save to paralyze, and every round a fortitude save to prevent aging. Preventing aging for one round does not stop the process; the player makes the save every round until saved or dead. Common monster-item forms include anything you would look at, a book or gem or scroll. DC 20 will negates paralysis, DC 20 Fort overcomes aging for that round
Fear- A Legacy item descendent from the glasses has the ability to cause an opponent to be extremely fearful. At will this monster-item it will cause fear as the spell. The dc is 18, and the visions are so horrifying that failing the role causes automatic panic. Furthermore, if the target doesn’t make their save, then in 1d4 rounds later they seek to commit suicide to escape the horrors they are ‘seeing’. This is the deadliest of the three, because it is much harder to stop the effect. If a pair of boots is worn with this ability, removing the boots won’t instantly stop the effect. However, 24 hours after removing the Legacy item will cause the fear effect to stop. Common monster-items include boots, cloak, hat, or other worn items. DC 20 Will save negates
Gnome Traits-as a gnome, once per day- speak with animals (burrowing mammals) dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation.
Detect Kobold-when a kobold enters within 60 feet of the party, the kobold-hating items will glow an angry, fiery blue. Depending on the personality, the Legacy item might prefer killing kobolds over keeping its secret, and talk to the party, pretending to be their friendly kobold-detecting intelligent item. This ability is involuntary; the items can’t control it.
Create Legacy-if a humanoid dies by the hand of the Legacy items, that item dies; the magic leaves the item, and the 'body' is now a normal mundane item. At this point, 1d4+1 items within 10 feet of the dead character become awakened, and are the next generation of Legacy items. They cannot be made from already magical items (except spell books). If the prey, the humanoid they attempt to kill survives, they also survive. A Legacy item views itselves as part-gnome. As such, they will instinctively choose not to kill a gnome, under any circumstance.
Gnome Affinity- because they were created by a gnome, they speak only in gnomish (not common) and anytime a spell, spell-like ability, or magic item specifies an effect exclusively to gnomes, these creatures are also affected. When they aren’t plotting how to kill humanoids and pass on their traits, they are naming themselves long, complicated names that would make any Gnome proud.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Plot Hook
The adventure here is only good for a party that enjoys solving puzzles, with a lot of patience. The party may come into a town that has been ravaged by a ‘curse’, and after much deliberation they discover a connection; every person who has died inherited something from the person who perished before them.
Or perhaps the Dm decides to secretly leave such a monster in the treasure-trove that the party takes, and it stays with the party for a while, biding its time until it finds the right moment to strike.

Back story
Kulreich von Lemminstantrophonees was an evil Gnome Wizard. Shunned by his people for his ways in a land surrounded by kobold tribes and gnome territories, he was wholly alone. Rather than succumb to insanity from loneliness, he experimented with creating animated objects and intelligent objects, until an unrepeatable freak accident involving the death of a kobold taken for dark experiments caused the birth of the first three: his glasses, his spell book, and his spoon. These creature-items were created with an affinity to gnomes (including all of the gnomish abilities), a hatred for kobolds, and a love for their master. They adventured for years, with him taking comfort that there were at least three creatures that would miss him when he died. But he didn’t know how much they would miss him.
One night, relaxing at home, Kulreich noticed that his glasses were glowing blue. His book and spoon were as well. “Why are you glowing?” “They are coming” “who?” “The enemies of our race.” “We can feel them approach. Run, Kulreich!” By then it was too late. A kobold adventuring party had come to take out the evil gnomish wizard, and did just that. When they looted his body, they discovered the three glowing items. The items couldn’t stop the glow, and the kobold had no way of knowing what they were. But later that week, the items attacked. No one knows what happened, but when the kobold bodies were found, the items had stopped glowing. In fact, they didn’t register as magical at all, not even the spell book. It is surmised that they somehow avenged their creator’s death at their own expense. What no one knew was that this act created more like them.
These monster-items were looted and spread throughout the world, in thrift shops and attics. Whenever they killed, they died and created more monster-items like themselves. The Wizards Guild only discovered their existence when a village was believed cursed, with 27 mysterious deaths in a month! It turned out that every time a person died, the items in the will would be a Legacy Item and naturally brought to another person’s house. There they killed, creating more, and they in turn would be shipped off because of that persons will.

Mr.Bookworm
2007-11-11, 04:17 PM
Ashling

As you walk by the hearth, you catch a brief glimpse of a tiny humanoid creature about an inch high that appears to be made of ash, as it peers out behind a burning log, watching you.

Fine Elemental (Fire)
Hit Dice: 1d3 (2)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 10 feet (two squares)
Armor Class: 25, touch, flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-20
Attack: Claws (1d2)
Full Attack: Claws (1d2)
Space/Reach: Same Square
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Spell-like abilities, Immunity to fire, Vulnerability to frost
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 24, Con 6, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +12, Move Silently +12
Feats: Weapon Finesse (Claws), Improved Initiative

Description/Environment: Hearth's, fireplaces, and other similar places where ash and heat are present often.
Organization: Single, group (2-5) or hive (6-8)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None.
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: -

Ashlings are small, mostly harmless fire elementals that congregate in ash. They cause almost no harm, as they eat the ash, and sleep in the ash. Indeed, most people consider them to be a sign of good fortune, as most Ashlings are careful not to offend their hosts, sometimes doing small favors for them, and take care of whatever fireplace they reside in, and fires with Ashlings residing in them blaze hotter and longer than normal. Ashlings have a notorious dislike of cats, most likely due to the fact that many cats attempt to use them as a substitute ball of string.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- Flare, 1/day- Burning Hands, 1/week- Greater Teleport (See Fire Step ability)

An Ashling casts spells as a 1st-level Sorcerer.

Fire Step (Sp): Once per week, a Ashling may cast Greater Teleport by stepping into a fire in a fireplace or similar object. He may teleport into any fireplace on the Material Plane that has a fire burning. Unlike a normal Greater Teleport spell, the Ashling can also use this ability to travel to the Plane of Fire, and back. When coming back from the Plane of Fire, he must travel into a burning hearth.

Combat

An Ashling will never fight, unless forced to. If it is forced to fight, it will use it's flare ability to stun it's opponent, and run. If the opponent is not stunned, an Ashling will find other Ashlings, and they will use their burning hand ability on the opponent. If all else fails, they will use their fire step ability to escape.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No plot hook or story, they're just simple little creatures that coexist peacefully with humans.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-11, 06:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/blkmage/5dusty.jpg
Dust Bunny
Tiny Magical Beast
HD 1/2d10+1 (3 HP)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares)
Init: +2
AC 14; touch 14; flat-footed 12
:(+2 Dex, +2 size)
BAB +1; Grp -9
Attack Bite +1 melee (1d3-2 plus 1 electricity)
Full-Attack Bite +1 melee (1d3-2 plus 1 electricity)
Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Electrostatic Charge
Special Qualities Hide in Plain Sight, scent
Saves Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
Skills Hide +14*, Move Silently +6
Feats Stealthy
Environment Any urban
Organization Solitary, pairs, flurries (4-16), or swarms
Challenge Rating 1/2
Treasure Coins only
Alignment True Neutral
Advancement By type; 1-2 HD (Tiny), 3-4 HD (Small), 5-7 HD (Medium), 8+ (Large)
Level Adjustment --

*Dust bunnies receive a +4 circumstance bonus to Hide checks when indoors.

Electrostatic Charge (Su): Dust bunnies receive a static charge from magical energies, it being their primary source of food. As such, a dust bunny's bite attack carries a mild shock, enough to harm creatures unfortunate enough to be bitten by one. This damage is accounted for in the statistics block above.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Dust bunnies are excellent hiders and are apparently capable of vanishing entirely from sight even when being directly confronted or viewed. A dust bunny indoors and within 5' of a piece of furniture may make a Hide check even if currently observed.

Dust bunnies are small, animate collections of dust that pile up around a home that is both not regularly cleaned and has a frequency of magical activity. These small creatures feed off the magical energies merely by being in the presence of them. This does not alter the intended effects of the magic being practiced in the slightest: it is theorized that dust bunnies obtain a sort of residual "static charge" from nearby magic and use this to fuel themselves. They also emit dust as a waste product and as a method of creating more dust bunnies. If one does not handle a dust bunny problem quickly, it may get out of hand, resulting in flurries or even swarms of dust bunnies: the latter are a great threat for the careless, unkempt fledgling spellcaster, as they are more aggressive in packs.

Dust bunnies are so named because of the two rabbit-like ears they possess, as well as their two large, furry buck teeth. Besides their ears, small mouth, and two eyes that appear to be made of pieces of exceptionally dark lint, dust bunnies have no limbs. They make small chirping sounds and are trainable with some effort. They are intelligent enough to recognize faces and spoken words, but are incapable of speech themselves. Dust bunnies enjoy a fixation with small, shiny objects and often hoard a few coins or other small metallic objects. They prefer silver over gold as it appeals to their eyes more and is more commonly lost within their grasp.

Dust Bunny Swarm
Tiny Magical Beast (Swarm)
HD 4d10+4 (26 HP)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares)
Init: +2
AC 14; touch 14; flat-footed 12
:(+2 Dex, +2 size)
BAB +4; Grp --
Attack Swarm (1d6 plus 1d3 electricity)
Full-Attack Swarm (1d6 plus 1d3 electricity)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Electrostatic Charge, distraction
Special Qualities Hide in Plain Sight, scent, weapon resistance, swarm traits
Saves Fort +5 Ref +6 Will +3
Abilities Str 6, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills Hide +16*, Move Silently +7
Feats Stealthy, Ability Focus (Distraction)
Environment Any urban
Organization Solitary, pairs, or plagues (5-10)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure Coins only
Alignment True Neutral
Advancement None
Level Adjustment --

*Dust bunny swarms receive a +4 circumstance bonus to Hide checks when indoors.

Electrostatic Charge (Su): Dust bunnies receive a static charge from magical energies, it being their primary source of food. As such, a dust bunny swarm's swarm attack carries a mild shock, enough to harm creatures unfortunate enough to be bitten by one. This damage is accounted for in the statistics block above.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm's damage that begins its turn inside a swarm's square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 15, Constitution-based) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Dust bunnies are excellent hiders and are apparently capable of vanishing entirely from sight even when being directly confronted or viewed. A dust bunny swarm both indoors and within 5' of a piece of furniture may make a Hide check even if currently observed.

Weapon Resistance: A swarm of dust bunnies halves all damage from slashing and piercing weapons.

Swarms of dust bunnies are occasionally great threats to solitary weak targets, particularly those that threaten them or possess shiny, metallic objects. Dust bunny swarms have also been known to clash with ragamoffyns and their ilk, though usually dust bunnies remain inside and ragamoffyns outside.

Dust bunny swarms have also been known to hold weak or unprepared spellcasters hostage, coercing them via small electrical shocks to repeatedly cast spells, most of which have little to no effect on the swarm themselves. While in a swarm, dust bunnies are far more aggressive than their normally docile selves, and many people have been taken by surprise as what seems to be an overnight plague of dust bunnies suddenly besets them.

Unlike solitary dust bunnies, swarms of dust bunnies have been known to actively pursue items that catch their attention, and as such prefer to attack those with a large quantity of visible metal given a choice between two targets.

Dust Bunnies as Familiars
Some spellcasters find that dust bunnies make good familiars, and dust bunnies are usually more than willing to oblige. Merely being in the spellcaster's presence is frequently enough to feed the dust bunny.

A dust bunny familiar grants its master Electrical Resistance 5.

If the dust bunny's master acquires the Improved Familiar feat and chooses to apply it to his existing dust bunny familiar, the dust bunny also provides all of his master's spells with the Electricity descriptor a +1 bonus to save DCs.

DracoDei
2007-11-12, 03:48 AM
(Reposting this from a locked-due-to-age thread so I can eventually fix the tables. This is in accordance with the desires of the mods.)
Lord of Rest
(Open Spoiler below for statistics block for Fine through Small sizes)

{table="head"] ~ | Lord of Rest, Fine | Lord of Rest, Diminutive | Lord of Rest, Tiny | Lord of Rest, Small
Size and Type | Fine Construct (Semi-Living Construct) |Diminutive Construct (Semi-Living Construct) | Tiny Construct (Semi-Living Construct) | Small Construct (Semi-Living Construct)
HD | 1/8d10 (1 hp) | 1/4d10 (1 hp) | 1/2d10 (2 hp) | 1d10+10 (15 hp)
Speed | 0 feet | 0 feet | 0 feet | 0 feet | Speed
Init | +4 | +3 | +2 | +1 | Initiative
AC|13 (-5 Immobility, +8 size); touch 13; flat-footed 13|9 (-5 Immobility, +4 Size); touch 9; flat-footed 9]|7 (-5 Immobility, +2 size); touch 7; flat-footed 7|7 (-5 Immobility, +1 size, +1 natural); touch 6; flat-footed 7
BAB | +0 | +0 | +0 | +0 | Base Attack Bonus
Grp | -20 | -15 | -9 | -4 | Grapple
Attack | Slam +12 melee (1d1-4 non-lethal) | Slam +7 melee (1d2-3) | slam +4 melee (1d3-1) | slam +2 melee (1d4) | Attack
Full Attack | Slam +12 melee (1d1-4 non-lethal) | Slam +7 melee (1d2-3) | slam +4 melee (1d3-1) | slam +2 melee (1d4) | Full Attack
Space/Reach | 0 ft./0 ft. | 1 ft./0 ft. | 2 1/2 ft./0 ft. | 5 ft./5 ft. | Face/Reach
Special Attacks| Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Special Attacks
Special Qualities|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy
Saves | Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +1 | Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1 | Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +1 | Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +1 | Saves
Abilities |Str 2, Dex 18, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 4, Dex 16, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 8, Dex 14, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 10, Dex 12, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13| Abilities
Skills*|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5
Feats* | Weapon Finesse(B) | Weapon Finesse(B) | Weapon Finesse(B) | Weapon Finesse(B) | Feats
Environment | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Organization
Organization|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barrack|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barrack|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barrack|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barrack|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barrack|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)
Challenge Rating| ?1/2? | ?1/2? | ?1/2? | ?1? | Challenge Rating
Treasure | None | None | None | None | Treasure
Alignment | Any | Any | Any | Any | Alignment
Advancement | By Class | 1/3HD* (Diminutive) and/or By Class | By Class | By Class | Advancement
Level Adjustment| +3 (Cohort) | +2 (Cohort) | +1 (Cohort) | +1 (Cohort) | Level Adjustment
Favored Class | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Favored Class [/table]
*Lords of Rest do not gain skill points or feats for increasing in Hit-Dice since these extra hit-dice represent ONLY an increase in size rather than degree of life experience. They gain all the benefits of class levels (except improved movement capabilities). They gain 1 Feat at their first class level, and at every class level evenly divisible by three.

(Open Spoiler below for statistics block for Medium through Colossal sizes)

{table="head"] ~ | Lord of Rest, Medium | Lord of Rest, Large | Lord of Rest, Huge | Lord of Rest, Gargantuan | Lord of Rest, Colossal
Size and Type | Medium Construct (Semi-Living Construct) | Large Construct (Semi-Living Construct) | Huge Construct (Semi-Living Construct) | Gargantuan Construct (Semi-Living Construct)| Colossal Construct (Semi-Living Construct)
HD | 2d10+20 (31 hp) | 4d10+30 (52 hp) | 10d10+40 (95 hp) | 24d10+60 (192 hp) | 48d10+80 (344 hp)
Speed | 0 feet | 0 feet | 0 feet | 0 feet | 0 feet | Speed
Init | +0 | +0 | -1 | -2 | -3 | Initiative
AC|7 (-5 Immobility, +2 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 21|8 (-5 Immobility, -1 size, +4 natural); touch 4; flat-footed 8|9 (-5 Immobility, -2 size, +6 Natural); touch 3; flat-footed 9|9 (-5 Immobility, -4 size, +8 natural); touch 1; flat-footed 9|7 (-5 Immobility, -8 size, +10 natural); touch -3; flat-footed 7
BAB | +1 | +3 | +7 | +18 | +36 | Base Attack Bonus
Grp | +2 | +11 | +22 | +39 | +63 | Grapple
Attack | slam +0 melee (1d6+1) | slam +6 melee (1d8+6) | slam +12 melee (2d6+9) | slam +23 melee (2d8+13) | slam +39 melee (4d6+16) | Attack
Full Attack | slam +0 melee (1d6+1) | slam +6 melee (1d8+6) | slam +12 melee (2d6+9) | slam +23 melee (2d8+13) | slam +39 melee (4d6+16) | Full Attack
Space/Reach | 5 ft./5 ft. | 10 ft./10 ft. | 15 ft./15 ft | 20 ft./20 ft. | 30 ft./30 ft. | Space/Reach
Special Attacks | Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Sheet Grappling | Special Attacks
Special Qualities|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy|
Saves | Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +1 | Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +2 | Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +4 | Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +8 | Fort +16, Ref +13, Will +17 | Saves
Abilities |Str 12, Dex 10, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 18, Dex 10, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 24, Dex 8, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 28, Dex 6, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13|Str 32, Dex 4, Con -, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 13| Abilities
Skills*|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5|Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Storytelling or Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5
Feats* | None | None | None | None | None | Feats
Environment | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Any Domestic | Environment
Organization|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|Solitary, with Trundle(s) {Number dependent on average number of offspring produced at one time by occupants}, Pair, or Barracks(3-10)|
Challenge Rating| 2? | 4? | 7? | 12? | 15? |
Treasure | None | None | None | None | None |
Alignment | Any | Any | Any | Any | Any | Alignment
Advancement | 3HD* (Medium) and/or by Class | 5-9HD* (Large) and/or by Class | 11-23HD* (Huge) and/or by Class | 25-47HD* (Gargantuan) and/or by Class | 49+HD* (Colossal) and/or by Class | Advancement
Level Adjustment| +0 (Cohort) | ?-1? (Cohort) | ?-2? (Cohort) | ?-3? (Cohort) | ?-4? (Cohort) | Level Adjustment
Favored Class | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Bard (or Expert if Lawful) | Favored Class[/table]
*Lords of Rest do not gain skill points or feats for increasing in Hit-Dice since these extra hit-dice represent ONLY an increase in size rather than degree of life experience. They gain all the benefits of class levels (except improved movement capabilities). They gain 1 Feat at their first class level and at every class level evenly divisible by three.

Semi-Living Construct Subtype(Ex): Although not quite as similar to flesh based creatures as Warforged are Lords of Rest share some of the same traits with Warforged etc. In one critical regard they surpass them: They are capable of reproduction on their own via asexual budding (see below for details). In any case they also possess the following traits:
-Unlike other constructs, a Lord of Rest is NOT immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities.
-Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition.
-Unlike other constructs, a Lord of Rest is NOT immune to Energy Drain.
-A Lord of Rest CAN NOT heal damage naturally.
-Lords of Rest ARE Immune to critical hits, non-lethal damage, negative energy damage, stunning, ability damage, or ability drain.
-Lords of Rest are NOT immune to death effects or necromancy effects unless such effects also fall under a separate category (such as ability drain) that they ARE immune to.
-Lords of Rest are immune to positive and negative energy effects, meaning they are unaffected by Heal, Harm, Inflict and Cure Spells and effects. Lord of Rest monks may still use "Wholeness of Body" to repair themselves, and Lord of Rest Paladins may repair themselves or other Living or Semi-Living constructs with their "Lay on Hands" ability.
-Depending on its individual construction a Lord of Rest may or may not be vulnerable to the following: Heat Metal/Chill Metal (As if wearing metal armor), Repel Metal or Stone(As if wearing metal armor), Rusting Grasp (Deals 2d6 points of damage, Reflex for half DC 14 + caster's ability modifier), A Rust monsters touch deals that same damage (Reflex Save DC 17 for Half). Spells such as Stone to Flesh, Stone Shape, Warp Wood, and Wood Shape never damage a Lord of Rest and, indeed, can only affect it whatsoever if it is willing.
-A Lord of Rest responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A Lord of Rest with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. It can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further damage. When its hit points are less and 0 and greater than -10, a Lord of Rest is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and cannot perform any actions. However, an inert Lord of Rest does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
-A Lord of Rest CAN be raised or resurrected.
-A Lord of Rest does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, and can NOT benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
-Although they do not need sleep, a Lord of Rest wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.
-A character with ranks in certain Craft Skills can attempt to repair a Lord of Rest who has taken damage. A check requires 8 hours and restores a number of hit points equal to the Craft check result -15 (minimum 0). A character can take 10 on this check but can't take 20. Applicable skills vary with the composition of the individual Lord of Rest but generally include Sewing, and Woodworking. A Lord of Rest can repair itself (and, like all craft skill checks applied to itself it requires no tools to do so).

Anti-Vermin Aura(Su): The bedbugs NEVER bite in a Lord of Rest... because there aren't any. No normal insect or arachnid of Fine size can come within 3 feet of any part of a Lord of Rest unless under magical compulsion.

Immobility(Ex): Because it can't move its frame, only its mattress, sheets etc, a Lord of Rest is treated as having a Dexterity of 1 for the purposes of its armor class until and unless it somehow gains a movement speed. This same restriction also prevents it from taking movement based feats including but not limited to the following: Acrobatic, Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack. Lords of Rest do not derive any benefit from class features, feats or spells that improve movement speed. All of these drawbacks are negated if the Lord of rest somehow gains a movement speed independent of these effects. Animate Objects, Fly, and Overland Flight are popular choices for this purpose. Due to their already being mostly animate and full self-directing, Animate Objects has a duration of 1 minute per caster level when cast only on one or more Lords of Rest.

Sheet Grappling(Ex): A Lord of Rest can use its sheets to grapple an opponent up to three sizes larger than itself. The Lord of Rest makes a normal grapple check. If it wins, it wraps the sheets around the opponent’s head, causing that creature to be blinded until they are removed. The position of neither grappler changes as a result of this occurrence.
A Lord of Rest deals damage equal to its slam damage value plus 1½ times its Strength bonus with a successful check against a creature up to one size larger than itself.
A Lord of Rest of at least Large size can make constriction attacks against multiple creatures at once, if they all are at least two sizes smaller than the Lord of Rest.

Mute Sound(Su): A Lord of Rest may damp out sounds around it, this extends only a few inches beyond the Lord of Rest and its occupants but imposes a -10 penalty on all listen checks that occur for sounds within or crossing this barrier. This also grants Sonic Resistance 1 for the Lord of Rest and its occupants. The Lord of Rest can negate or resume this effect as a full round action. This is useful when the half-orcs next door are having a wild party, or if one of the occupants snores.

Scheduling(Ex): Lords of Rest have perfect time sense, and an EXCELLENT memory for to do lists etc. They will wake their occupants on time (usually in the most gentle and comfortable manner they can devise), and remind them of what they need to do for the day.

Spell-like Abilities(Sp): Continuous - Prestidigitation, At Will - Lullaby (single target each time used only, touch range), 1/hour - Ghost Sound, 2/day - Deep Slumber (single target each only, touch range), 1/day - Cure Minor Wounds. A Lord of Rest casts these spells as a Sorcerer of level equal to its total CLASS LEVELS (minimum 1). Racial hit-dice make no difference.

Telepathy(Su): As a full round action, a Lord of Rest may establish a telepathic link to any other Lord of Rest within a number of miles range equal to greater of the two Lords' HD. A Lord of Rest may only be included in one such telepathic link at a time; ending this link is a free action either Lord of Rest can take. They may also apply this ability to any other creature with a language (and in such a case can contact more than one at once), but in such cases the range is touch, and physical contact must be maintained for at least one full round before communication may begin.

History and Society:
The first Lord of Rest was created by one Mnargo Fishwarden, an epic level wizard as he was in the last years of his life. Mnargo had produced most of his more memorable victories out of a sense of altruism and had traveled ceaselessly, where-ever the need took him. This led him to a great appreciation for stillness and comfort. Thus it was both for himself and as one of his last gifts to the world that he invested a considerable amount of life energy into the creation of the progenitor of this bizarre race, a bed of great comfort capable of conversing with those in contact with it and providing for their needs. For the remaining 3 years of his life he never left it for any reason whatsoever, using his magical servants to bring him what he required, employing a chamber pot (some would say with less than total faithfulness, but the qualities of the bed rendered this point almost entirely moot...Prestidigitation is a vastly under-rated spell sometimes...). Upon his finally passing on to his eternal reward the bed was transferred (as an intelligent creature Mnargo refused to name it a bequest in his will and the bed had final say in the matter) to one of his great grandchildren one Gosha Witherbean. This was thought odd since the individual in question was hardly the most worthy of great magic, or even particularly beloved of Mnargo. The bed would only say that this was not about who had most earned its services with great accomplishments, but was about where it could best test out its potential. The explanation was only forthcoming several years later when the time drew near for Gosha's first child to be born and the bed told the couple to look under it. There they discovered a folding legged crib just recently split off from a now narrow stem leading down from the cross-slats of the larger bed. The true extent of Mnargo's accomplishment was thus proven, and his final gift to the mortal world realized. He had created a construct capable of reproducing itself, and without expensive materials. The crib spoke with intelligence to those who touched it from the first and when the baby was born it reached out its small blanket to hold the child tenderly (after the parents had had their initial fill naturally!). The crib grew with the child, slowly turning into a trundle bed, and then a normal bed, speaking stories of peace and wisdom into the mind of the child as sleep neared each night. Indeed each offspring of the union was so blessed. Naturally, a deep affection grew between the new beds and their life-long occupants. When the children grew up and got married, the beds welcomed the additions with warmed and turned down covers (although some of them elected NOT to make use of the Lord of Rest for the initial honeymoon period). As time went on Lords of Rest grew in numbers and many found themselves without occupants, either through disagreements (one can get away with taking Lord of Rest's loyalty for granted usually... but ONLY usually, and the vast majority will NOT stand for being treated as property), or deaths (often infant (pseudo-medieval is not the best conditions for avoiding high infant mortality), but old age of occupant(s) is just as much an issue for an ageless race). Thus their commonness increased slightly, and it is not totally unknown for one to be found even in a poor household. Many often find employment at inns.

Lords of Rest and classes:
Expert and Bard: Most Lords of Rest are story tellers and care-givers and thus have levels in these classes (and the majority DO have class levels of some sort).
Bard Lords of Rest still are generally incapable of speech, but may cast apply their bardic music abilities and/or spells (where or not they are bardic in nature) on themselves or anyone they are in telepathic communication with by singing telepathically. Silence does not affect this ability.
Fighters and Crusaders (Who often take maneuvers that counteract their lack of mobility, such as Stone Bones): Serve as a last line of defense against assassination (or other dangers to the sleeping) are well known by scholars of the subject to occur. Such individuals often take the "Improved Grappling" feat or have a weapon mounted to a headboard or footboard where they can draw it with the twisted corner of a sheet using the "Quick Draw" feat.
Barbarians and Paladins: These have been documented more rarely. Paladins may still use their "Lay on Hands" ability to heal themselves or other Living or Semi-Living Constructs.
Rogues (for the Sneak Attack) {Maybe ninja's too?}: As Fighters, although they rely on their sneak attack damage/sudden strike damage to defend their occupants. In more rare cases evil ones may form alliances with other evil beings to lure people into sleeping in them and then murder them in their sleep for their possessions (or just for pure evils sake). Only under the rarest of circumstances would they attack anyone who had grown up sleeping in them...
Adepts, Sorcerers, and Wizards: Rumors of non-bard arcane casters are unconfirmed among this curious race. If they exist they can cast their spells without concern for verbal components except for language dependent spells which they would have to be in telepathic contact with the target (and within the spell's range) to successfully cast. Most Lords of Rest agree that if they ever did become such they would almost certainly acquire a Dust Bunny familiar.
Clerics: Lord's of Rest blessed by the Gods to carry out their will (clerics) are extremely rare but confirmed. The have the same benefits and limitations as arcanists are thought to have when it comes to their inability to speak with sound. They may Turn/Rebuke undead without the need for sound.
Druids, Rangers, and Scouts: Unlikely to ever happen.

Receive all repair XXX damage spells added to their class spell lists for any spell casting classes that can cast Cure spells that they enter. They never need a spellbook to prepare these (as per Spell Mastery Feat), and do not need to make a spellcraft check to learn them. This does not allow them to spontaneously cast them unless they are able to spontaneously cast Cure spells.

Over its existence a Lord of Rest can grow, and repair itself, shaping any part of itself as if under the spells "Wood Shape" and "Stone Shape" except that this works on ANY material, (this so slow the unaided human eye can't see it happening) and is capable of fine detail and moving parts limited only by the Lord of Rest's skill (note that they have craft skills!). They can produce more material to enlarge themselves, but only lesser woods (such as pine) and linen etc. More expensive materials can be assimilated by prolonged contact (although they will generally be rather lumpy looking if the Lord of Rest lacks the appropriate craft skills). See below for details on disassembling a Lord of Rest.

Lords of Rest naturally begin to asexually bud one crib from their underside (if they have legs), or side (if in a form that doesn't have legs), every time a child is conceived in them. This process is FAR FAR from instantaneous in reaching completion, but almost invariably takes less time than the gestation period (including to hatching if occupants are egg layers) of the occupants. Pregnant Lords of Rest have been known to get "Pregnancy Cravings" causing them to take coins out of purses left nearby by their owners, or off of nightstands. They incorporated these materials into the growing crib. Most Lords of Rest have no particular problem with allowing themselves to be used as a "second Honeymoon" location specifically for such purposes. If a Lord of Rest does not wish to reproduce it may make a Will save DC for each conception by occupants to prevent itself from producing a crib. The DC is 10 + 1/3 Lord of Rest's Racial hit-dice. It may re-absorb the material of a given crib if it chooses to attempt and passes a Fortitude Save DC 10 + 1/3 racial hit dice. Depending on the setting, attempting the Fortitude save (or, more rarely, either save) may count as an Evil act.

Disassembling a Lord of Rest: A Lord of Rest will often be totally seamless in its construction, but they can create or remove slip together and/or pegged seams to allow them to be disassembled for moving. Disassembly does not harm the Lord of Rest per se but while disassembled it is unconscious and helpless until reassembled (deduct a hitpoints if parts are lost and have to be replaced with non-original ones or are missing altogether. A few small pegs or a pillow would only be 1 hp, while an entire post might be 1/5 the Lord of Rest's total hp.).

EDIT December 2010:
Insomniac's Friend [Racial(Lord of Rest)]
Whether you are/have been host to sextuplets, or just someone who wakes up every hour, your abilities have expanded to accommodate the situation.
Prerequisites: Lord of Rest, Class Level 6
Benefits: Your Deep Slumber ability becomes at-will.
Normal: You can only use your Deep Slumber ability twice per day.

Giant Sleeper [Racial (Lord of Rest)]
Dragons sleep here, peacefully dreaming of battle.
Prerequisites: Lord of Rest, Huge or larger size.
Benefits: The number of HD your Deep Slumber spell-like ability may effect doubles.
Normal: Deep Slumber can not effect any creature with more than 10 HD.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time it mathematically doubles the number of HD you may effect. This does not follow the normal rules for doubling. In other words the progression is 10, 20, 40, 80, 160, etc etc NOT 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc etc.

Example adventuring Lords of Rest:

Sun's-Setting
Large Lord of Rest
Level/Hit Dice:10th Level Cleric of Pelor (Healing and Sun Domains), 5d10+30 racial HD
Hitpoints: 102 hp
Initiative: +1 (+1 Dex)
Speed: 0 ft. Base (40 ft. with Animate Objects), Fly 30 ft (when carpet active)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 Dex. (changes to -5 Immobility when without a movement speed), -1 size, +2 Large Shield, +6 Natural); touch 10; flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: (+11/+6) / (+15/+10)
Attack: Large Masterwork Morningstar +15 Melee (3d6+4) OR Large MW Light Crossbow +11 ranged (2d6)
Full Attack: Large Masterwork Morningstar +15/+10 (3d6+4) OR Large MW Light Crossbow +11 ranged (2d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft. / 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Sheet Grappling, Turn Undead
Special Qualities: Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +12
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con -, Int 12(14 with Finial of intellect +2), Wis 18, Cha 15
Skills: Concentration +16, Heal +15, Knowledge(Religion) +11, Spellcraft +7, Craft(Sewing) +5, Craft(Woodworking) +5, Perform(Singing) +5, Profession(Masseuse) +5
Feats: Alertness, Combat Expertise, Skill Focus(Concentration), Still Spell
Equipment/Treasure: 5 ft x 5 ft Carpet of Flying (Strapped to BOTTOM of the part of its structure that supports the mattress), Finial of Intellect +2 (like Headband of Intellect), 2 Scrolls of "Animate Objects", Large Masterwork Light Crossbow, Large Metal Shield, Large Masterwork Morningstar
Alignment: Neutral Good
Typical Spells Prepared
0th level(6): Resistance x2, Guidance, Create Water x2, Detect Magic
1st level(5): Bless, Entropic Shield, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith x 2
1st level(Domain): Cure Light Wounds
2nd level(5): Align Weapon, Owl's Wisdom, Shield Other, Resist Energy, Sound Burst
2nd level(Domain): Cure Moderate Wounds
3rd level(4): Blindness/Deafness, Dispel Magic, Helping Hand, Magic Circle against Evil
3rd level(Domain): Searing Light
4th level(4): Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, Divine Power, Summon Monster IV
4th level(Domain): Fire Shield
5th level(3): Dispel Evil, Righteous Might, Symbol of Sleep
5th level(Domain): Flame Strike
Now a mighty four-poster Sun's Setting gained its name when (only a little past its days as a trundle bed) it had itself moved into the sick-ward at a temple of Pelor after its young occupant was killed by goblins while playing one day. Seventeen years later a plague struck the land and his devotion and care for those entrusted to his mattress as well as his fervent prayers on their behalf earned it the right to access Divine energies. The human priests of the temple gladly trained up the unusual acolyte in the duties of the priesthood (at least those which he could meet in his immobile state). It wasn't until sixty-three years after this when war broke out that Sun's Setting developed the taste for adventure (and thus a yearning for mobility). Healers were so needed at the front lines that Sun's Setting was carried up to the walls of the city and wounded soldiers brought to it so it could cure their injuries, thus returning them to the defense of the walls rapidly. After things settled down Sun's Setting petitioned the treasurer of the temple for some means of self-propulsion so it might fair forth and deliver protection by seeking out evil and destroying it. A flying carpet was purchased and strapped below where its mattress rested, and it flew off in search of companions in its questing.

Kardregedium
Colossal+ Lord of Rest
Level/Hit Dice:20th Level Expert, 100d10+80 racial HD
Hitpoints: 700 hp
Initiative: -1 (-1 Dex)
Speed: 0 ft. Base (60 ft. with Winged Foot Rings)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 Dex. (changes to -5 Immobility when without a movement speed), +5 Post Sleaves of Armor, -8 size, +18 Natural (improved over base version due to large amounts of metal in structure); touch 1 (-3 when without a movement speed); flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: (+90/+85/+80) / (+118/+113/+108)
Attack: +102 Adamantine Colossal Axiomatic Holy GreatSword +6, 8d6+24(+2d6 vs Evil, and +2d6 vs Chaotic)
OR +89 Colossal Sling (firing Adamantine Colossal Axiomatic Holy Sling Bullet +6), 3d6+18(+2d6 vs Evil, and +2d6 vs Chaotic)
OR (See Equipment/Treasure for less commonly used weapons)
Full Attack: +102/+97/+92 Adamantine Colossal Axiomatic Holy GreatSword +6, 8d6+24(+2d6 vs Evil, and +2d6 vs Chaotic)
OR +89/+84/+79 Colossal Sling (firing Adamantine Colossal Axiomatic Holy Sling Bullet +6), 3d6+18(+2d6 vs Evil, and +2d6 vs Chaotic)
OR (See Equipment/Treasure for less commonly used weapons)
Space/Reach: 40 ft / 40 ft
Special Attacks: Sheet Grappling
Special Qualities: Anti-Vermin Aura, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60ft, Immobility, Low-light Vision, Mute Sound, Scheduling, Spell-Like Abilities, Telepathy, Fire Resistance 30 (due to construction)
Saves: Fort +39, Ref +38, Will +49
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 4(8 with Tassels of Dexterity), Con -, Int 22, Wis 18, Cha 19
Skills: Craft(Metal Sculpting) +32, Craft(Jewelry Making) +32, Craft(Sewing) +32, Craft(Stone Sculpting) +29, Craft(Woodworking) +32, Perform(Story Telling) +25, Perform(Singing) +25, Profession(Masseuse) +27, Knowledge(Religion) +8, Knowledge(The Planes) +8, Spellcraft +7, Knowledge(Nature) +8 (Some skill points still not distributed)
Feats: Combat Expertise, Martial Weapon Proficiency (GreatSword), Power Attack, Skill Focus[Craft(Metal Sculpting)], Skill Focus[Craft(Jewelry Making)], Skill Focus[Craft(Sewing)], Skill Focus[Craft(Woodworking)]
Equipment/Treasure: Sheet of Protection +5 (As per Cloak of Protection), Post Sleaves of Armor +5 (As per Bracers of Armor), Tassels of Dexterity +4 (As per Gloves of Dexterity), Adamantine Colossal Axiomatic Holy GreatSword +6 Damage: 8d6+24(+2d6 vs Evil, and +2d6 vs Chaotic), Cold Iron Colossal Axiomatic Holy GreatSword +1 Damage: 8d6+19(+2d6 vs Evil, and +2d6 vs Chaotic), Alchemical Silver Colossal Holy GreatSword +1 Damage: 8d6+19(+2d6 vs Evil), Finial of Teleportation (As per Helm of Teleportation), Winged Foot Rings (As per Winged Boots), Colossal Sling, 50 Adamantine Colossal Axiomatic Holy Sling Bullets +6, 25 Cold Iron Colossal Axiomatic Holy Sling Bullets +1, 25 Alchemical Silver Colossal Holy Sling Bullets +1, 50 Colossal Sling Bullets +1, 100 Collosal Sling Bullets
Alignment: Lawful Good

Kardregedium is slept in by a married pair of Great Wyrm Gold Dragons, each 27 CR. It has incorporated (with their express permission, and indeed urging) a large amount of their hordes, and they have sold all other art objects they owned to buy materials for it to incorporate into its structure. They keep a sufficient amount of spending money around, and have magic items, but everything else is incorporated into this animated work of art. It is shaped like a nest with out-rigger legs for stability, with a cylinder of curtains leading up to a dome top. The underlying structure of the frame is iron (it has "eaten" at least one Wall of Iron) and has finely inlaid itself with materials including but not necessarily limited to the following: Gold, Silver, Platinum, gemstones, pearls, ivory, darkwood, oak, mahogany, cedar, teak, marble (in many colors), granite, slate, mithrel, and adamantine. The resulting artwork (including hair thin details) covers every square inch of the frame, pillars, canopy, etc. Every bit of "cloth" in its structure is actually some sort of metal (usually a precious one) that it has spun out as fine as silk. The resulting embroidery (for lack of a better term) also forms exquisite scenes that continue the themes of the frame. The stuffings of the mattress, pillows, cushions etc are all phoenix feather. It considers itself an artist, and loves explaining its decorations to visitors. Being associated with such paragons of Good and Law means, and containing so much precious material in its structure means that it knows that it may attract the wrong sort of attention, and so it has learned a few of the arts of battle from its occupants in case it needs to make a last ditch defense of the sleeping chamber.
Quote:
"Now we have all grown old together and we are each strong, strong, strong, dozer in the corner.", it boasted, "My paneling is like five fold shields, my posts marble pillars, my curtains priceless works of embroidery, the crack of my blanket a thunderbolt, my sheets a hurricane, and my cushions pure decadence!"
(Yes, this IS based on Smaug's boast to Bilbo... the classics are worth referencing!)

belboz
2007-11-12, 03:45 PM
Mousefolk (1st-level warrior)

Diminutive Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 1d8 - 1 [4 HP]
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20' (4 squares), Climb 10'
Armor Class: 18 (+3 dex, +4 size, +1 padded armor), touch 17, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-12
Attack: Diminutive longspear +4 (1d3 - 1)
Full Attack: Diminutive longspear +4 (1d3 - 1)
Space/Reach: 1'/0'
Special Attacks: Snare
Special Qualities: Special Crafting, Smell of Danger, Succeptibility to Fear, Mouse Friends, Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +1
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 9, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Craft [textiles] +4, listen +5, use rope +5, search +2, hide +7, move silently +7
Feats: Stealthy, Armor Proficiency [light] (B)
Organization: Nest (5-12 + 2 3rd-level leaders + 10-24 noncombatants) or Infestation (20-200 + 1 3rd-level leader per 10 combatants, 5 5th-level elders, 2 7th-level great elders, and 40-400 noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard, double goods
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By class level
Level Adjustment: +2 (Preferred class: Rogue)

Mousefolk are very small humanoids with the head, hands, and feet of a brown mouse. They're only a bit larger than mice, about eight inches tall and weighing in at under a pound. Like many mice, they live in the walls of dwellings and feed off small morsels of human food; unlike mice, they are quite intelligent and capable of speech.

About 2/3 of the mousefolk encountered in the "open" of a room are males ("mousemen"), simply because the average female "mousemaid" spends over half of her time bearing or nursing young.

Though they are not fey, mousefolk resemble many household fey in that they reward good treatment and punish bad. They are excellent tailors (see below) and will often make fine clothing for households that leave them both the raw materials and regular offerings of good food. They will ruthlessly stalk and kill small predators, such as cats, dogs, and weasels, and become furious with anyone who introduces such creatures to their environment or tries to cause them harm. Angry mousefolk will spill containers, tear cloth, and in extreme cases, even bind and attack larger folk in their sleep.

Mousefolk have a racial bonus of +4 each to hide, move silently, and listen checks. They speak both common and their own language.

The first-level warrior above (generated with the non-elite array) carries a longspear and wears padded armor, which is typical for mousefolk entering potentially dangerous situations. Most of the time, mousefolk wear well-made but oddly colored clothes they craft from "found" (sometimes cut or torn out) bits of cloth and thread.

Combat

Mousefolk strenuously avoid single combat, and are generally wary of any sort of open confrontation. When hunting predators animals, or those who have aroused their wrath, they generally attempt to snare them while they sleep, and then attack in concert. They will quickly flee if the battle turns against them.

Snare [ex]: Mousefolk's primary combat tactic involves ensnaring their opponents in netting while they sleep. For a single mouseman or mousemaid, this can take some time: 2 rounds for other diminutive creatures or fine creatures, 4 for tiny creatures, 8 for small creatures, 16 for medium creatures, and so on. Multiple mousefolk working in concert can cut this time; divide the number of rounds by the number of mousefolk working, and round up. When snaring a creature, all working mousefolk must make hide and move silently checks each round. At the end, each mouseman/mousemaid makes a use rope check; the lowest result is the DC for the escape artist check to disentangle the net, once the snared creature wakes up.

Special crafting [ex]: Mousefolk's craft skill is broader than the usual craft skill. They can spin fibers into thread, weave thread into cloth, make cloth into clothes, twist thread into rope, make rope into nets, and even make cloth into padded armor, all by using their Craft [textiles] skill. (Each of these activities is a separate crafting project.) They are used to improvised tools, and take no penalty for using them.

Smell of Danger [ex]: Mousefolk have very keen noses for the smell of danger and aggression. They can detect predators and hostile creatures within 20' unless there is an airtight seal between them. They cannot identify the specific type or number of creatures using this ability.

Succeptibility to Fear [ex]: Mousefolk have some of the timidity of their relatives the mice. Because of this, they are especially succeptible to fear. All of their saves against fear effects are at a -2 penalty.

Mouse Friends [ex]: By emitting a particular high noise, mousefolk can identify themselves to and call all other mousefolk and all mice within 50' to them. Mice will always respond to this call; other mousefolk may decide whether or not to respond. Mousefolk can also speak with mice as if using the spell Speak with Animals, and mice are generally loyal and well-disposed to the mousefolk. Mice are noncombatant, but do make fine sources of information, scouts, spies, and occasionally saboteurs, within their limited intellectual capacities.

Low-light vision[ex]: As normal.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Mousefolk as Characters

Although mousefolk are generally homebound creatures, a few do their societies through need, a quest, or a simple (if unusual) lust for adventure. Campaigns that are reasonably friendly to diminutive characters may allow mousefolk PCs.

Mousefolk PCs have the following traits:

+4 dexterity, -4 strength, +2 wisdom
Diminutive size: +4 attack bonus, +4 AC, +12 to hide checks (separate from racial bonus), -12 to grapple checks, 1/4 carrying and lifting capacity
Base land speed of 20'
All special attacks and qualities common to mousefolk
Weapon proficiency: Mousemen are automatically proficient with longspears, shortspears, and nets
+4 racial bonus on listen, hide, and move silently checks
Automatic languages: Common, mousefolk. Bonus languages: Gnome, halfling, elven, sylvan
Favored class: Rogue

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Plot Hook: The personal secretary of a baronet approaches the characters. His employer has recently moved to an urban area, bought two adjacent merchants' dwellings, and had the wall between them knocked out to create a larger home for himself. Unfortunately, the eastern half of the house--and only the eastern half--has been plagued by what appears to be some sort of infestation. The curtains and furniture have been torn, and valuable rugs have been reduced to threads.

The baronet, assuming mice or rats, acquired a cat, but--horrifyingly--the cat was found dead, pierced by dozens of tiny spears. The characters are called in to discover the real pests and exterminate them. The secretary is adamant about one thing: Only the eastern half of the house requires extermination. The western half is currently being used by the baronet and his family, and the adventurers should on no condition create a commotion there.

Unbeknownst to the characters, the secretary, while partially acting in an official capacity, is primarily an agent for a tribe of mousefolk in the *western* half of the house (those mousefolk tailor his clothes in exchange for his services; the baronet is entirely unaware of their existence). They have been in a territorial struggle with another tribe of mousefolk since the two dwellings were joined. The damage and the dead cat in the eastern area were actually both the work of western agents; the extermination call is entirely according to their plan.

Will the characters kill the innocent tribe of mousefolk? Or will they somehow discover the true culprits?

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 06:03 PM
Hearth Protector
Medium Deathless
Hit Dice: 6d12 (39hp)
Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+1 Dex, +4 Natural, +5 Deflection), touch 16, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d8+3 plus Consume Heat)
Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d8+3 plus Consume Heat)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Consume Heat, Face of Guilt
Special Qualities: Undead Traits, Turn Resistance +8, Aura of Kindness, Guardian
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14 Dex 12 Con - Int 10 Wis 11 Cha 20
Skills: Diplomacy +16, Listen +9, Sense Motive +11, Spot +9
Feats: Ability Focus (Aura of Kindness), Negotiator, Improved Natural Attack
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: NG
Advancement: by class levels
Level Adjustment: +3

Little Sue woke suddenly. CREEEEEEEK!! She recognized the sound of the door opening. Who could it be? She crept downstairs and whimpered as she saw the robber raid the sitting room of what little valuables her family had. "Great Papa help!" The child whispered into the night. With a gust of warm wind, the fireplace was set ablaze and the robber jumped. Getting up from his chair before the fireplace, an elderly man dressed as a simple farmer stood. He looked ordinary enough except for a subtle white glow and warmth emanating from him. "Now sir, you don't want to be doing that!" The man was gentle and kind and the robber felt more at ease, yet he could not allow himself to be caught. As the robber drew his sword the old man chuckled, "The dead aren't afraid of weapons friend, you seem to be full of guilt, repent to your god and leave my family alone." The robber paled and ran from the house, leaving the stolen goods behind. "Your save my little one, came and let Great Papa tell you a story"

Combat

The Hearth Protector is an undead who died protecting his home and family or served it well and wished to remain to protect it forever. Usually farmers and fathers of poor families, the Hearth Protector is granted the power to remain indefinitely, but only within the property of their family. The serve as protectors of the family and their possessions choosing to ward off would-be thieves through kindness or fear rather than fighting.

Consume Heat (Su): By making a touch attack as a standard action, the Hearth Protector sucks the heat out of his target, dealing 4d6 cold damage. The target may make a fortitude save DC18 for half damage, save is charisma based. Additionally, a Hearth Protector may use this ability with any slam attack.

Face of Guilt (Su): One of the most powerful abilities of a Hearth Protector is to show their enemies the strength of their guilt. By taking a full-round action, the Hearth Protector can make a gaze attack to cause fear in their target. The target gets a reflex save DC18 to negate the attack, otherwise they are become panicked, the save is charisma based. If the target has a Good alignment, this ability has no effect. If the target has a Neutral alignment, they are allowed a will save DC18 to become shaken instead, the save is charisma based.

Aura of Kindness (Ex): Hearth Protectors are overall kind and as much a part of the family as any living member, if not more so. All creatures that come within 30ft of a Hearth Protector may make a will save DC20 or they become one step closer to helpful towards any family member and the Hearth Protector, the save is charisma based. Additionally, the air is slightly warmer than normal as the Hearth Protector gives off heat equal to that of a small fire in a 60ft radius.

Guardian (Su): A Hearth Protector is first and foremost a guardian of his family and property. A Hearth Protector cannot go beyond the legal boundary of the family's land, however, he may move more quickly throughout the property. A Hearth Protector may teleport to any point on his families property as a move action that provokes attacks of opportunity. Additionally, the Hearth Protector is always aware of intruders and guests at all times while they are on his family's property.

Note: A Hearth Protector's family may gain or lose additionally property as time continues, thus the area in which the Hearth Protector can go may change accordingly. Additionally, mortal measurement of distance holds no limit to the Hearth Protector if his family owns different properties hundreds or thousands of mils away, or just next door. The Hearth Protector can teleport to any location the family has proper right to, no matter location. Also, a Hearth Protector's family includes every direct descendant of the Hearth Protector.

Corrupted Hearth Protectors: The majority of Hearth Protectors come from good-aligned family's however, when a family turns to more evil ways, the Hearth Protector usually leaves, though some turn evil as well. An evil Hearth Protector's type becomes undead and it loses the Turn Resistance and Face of Guilt abilities.

Blue_C.
2007-11-20, 05:16 PM
I wish I had thought of this for the Tiny but Tough competition, but this will do.
Lap Dog

Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
Speed: 20 ft(4 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 Size, +1 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-10
Attack: Bite +5 (1d3-4)
Full Attack: Bite +5 (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Bark, Yap
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, obedient, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 9
Skills: Jump +2, Listen +8, Spot +8, Sense Motive +10*
Feats: Run, Weapon Finesse^b
Environment: House
Organization: Solitary, Pack (4-6 Lap Dogs), Family (1 Lap dog plus 3-5 1 lvl humanoid commoners)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: none
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: Improved Familiar

Standing before you, panting enthusiastically, is a small animal that looks not unlike a ball of fur that has sprouted legs and grown a mouth. Its bark is distinctive, and annoying.

Bred many generations ago to counter attempts to teach house cats the ways of assassins, lap dogs are most commonly encountered in the homes of the very rich or influential. Unable to truly survive on their own, lap dogs happily act as guardians and companions to their masters, using their abilities to act something like living alarm spells.

While they cannot speak, lap dogs seem to have some understanding of Common, or whatever is their master's primary language.

Combat

While almost never initially hostile, lap dogs have a keen sense of when people have ill intent towards their masters, and act accordingly. Usually when they encounter such creatures, they release a Yap, then run towards their master as fast as they can, barking the entire way.

An exception to that pattern happens when lap dogs meet cats. Lap dogs hate house cats, and always attack house cats even when they have no reason to suspect a threat.

Bark: Lap dogs have a very annoying bark. They were bred for it in fact. As an immediate action, a lap dog can bark so irritatingly that all sleeping creatures within fifty feet of the lap dog wake up. This bark also dispels magical sleep cast by a second level spell or lower.

Obedient: Purpose bred to serve humanoid masters, lap dogs are no harder to train or command than animals. The wild empathy class ability also treats lap dogs as if they were animals. However, uses of wild empathy or the diplomacy skill against lap dogs by anyone other than their chosen master incurs a -4 penalty.
Getting a lap dog to choose a person as their master requires a DC 30 diplomacy check, or an opposed check (with a -10 modifier) against the lap dogs current master.

Yap: The strongest ability a lap dog possesses, a yap is a bark pushed to the next level, causing 2d8 sonic damage to all creatures within 35 ft of the lap dog and must succeed on a DC 10 Fortitude save to avoid being deafened 1 round. While the lap dog cannot choose which creatures in the area are affected (it affects friends and foes alike), all lap dogs are immune to the yaps of other lap dogs. Yapping is a full-round action that can be performed once per minute.
The save is constitution based.

Skills
Lap dogs have a +4 racial bonus to Listen, Spot, and Sense Motive checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Jump checks. *In their master's home, the Sense Motive bonus rise to +8.

Improved Familiar
A character with caster level 7 and the Improved Familiar feat may select a lap dog as his familiar.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Encounter

CR 3--Good Boy!
In order to sneak into the mayor's house, the characters must somehow sneak or bluff their way through a pair of very happy lap dogs without alerting the entire house that they are there.

Edit: Finally! Voting is closed, so I don't feel bad about applying the tweaking if been wanting to do for weeks. Or maybe a week. It's hard to tell. My job has knocked my sense of time's flow out completely, which is rather odd when I think about it (I work for a railroad).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-21, 09:01 AM
This month's contest has come to a close. A voting thread has been posted here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3551712#post3551712).

Good luck!

-=-=-=-=-

Glorytome's entry has been disqualified for being incomplete at the contest's end.

Vrel's has been removed from voting by request.